• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon PR! updated 10/17/2014

indigestible_wad

Smash Lord
Seriously eugene, hyping yourselves this much is completely unnecessary. You guys aren't on this list because you've been to one or two tournaments with the rest of oregon and you didn't make many upsets or draw enough attention to yourselves. PR results are tournament results and bias. Tournament brackets are not always perfect and therefore bias fills in anything that the tournament results don't say. The problem with putting a eugene player on the pr is that no one has anything on you except decent to mediocre placings from a few tournaments. Now since we haven't gotten to know you guys, we have no bias and therefore no point of reference. Just be patient.

I'm a firm believer in walking before talking. I don't know if I've ever played any of you, maybe I have once, and if anything, you guys are on par with corvallis. Just let things flow. If any of you are good enough to be on the pr, it will happen in time.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Really people should ignore them. Acknowledging it is dumb; and when they get wrecked, don't talk ****, or acknowledge it either. That is what makes cocky new players quit. Growing the scene is more important than making some noobs look dumb for being dumb.

Way back, we used to be like that, and it's nothing but detrimental.

:phone:

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
Don't take it too seriously fellas, just trying to have a fun friendly rivalry with Corvallis :) Well, that's my opinion anyway, I know where people rate. Anyway, everyone (not just Eugene) seems to be caring a bit much about where they are on here. It's kinda odd. Isn't there a "council" or something for this that makes these decisions? Or are we just nagging Kyle to do it? Also, LOL at the awards and acting like they matter on the front page. The only one that truly matters is the nice guy one, because it's awesome. Compete for that list instead, or just enjoy a bit of friendly trash talking, but MOST of the people in here need to care a lot less. Cept maybe Jonny.

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
Terms like 'noob' and 'good' are relative. Some of us have more experience with good competition than others, and have been conditioned further into knowing what works/doesn't work, recognizing patterns and all that stuff. And of course even the best players in Oregon could be called "noobs" just as much as anyone when compared to the better players out there.

@infinidude, I don't think there's anything wrong with caring. We're all playing this game with the intention of improving at it, and getting on the PR (or moving farther up if you're already on) is a way to prove to yourself you're improving. Besides, what's the point of a PR if nobody cares about it?

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
it's weird everyone took the eugene comments seriously. I thought it was clearly a joke

Also, PR is easy and you all need to understand that. If I was your PR master, I could easily create you the perfect PR. This is what happens when we have a silly hippy "everyone shares what they think" PR

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
To have a relative list of where our people rate for outsiders as well as people here that wonder. I should rephrase, the issue isn't so much caring, but getting up in arms (to an extent). Sure, strive to improve and compete and stuff, but it's silly to be like WTF WHY AM I 7 AND X is 6, just taking it a bit too seriously I think. Maybe I'm just old, but I've always figured that it matters who you can actually beat instead of where you are ranked. Anyway, please don't take my opinions too far, I'm just saying that we should tone things down and relax a bit. PR is for fun and friendly competition, not a measurement of the value of your worth as a human being.

edit: Also, the Eugene guys are just having a bit of fun with trash talking, don't worry Jonny/others. All in good fun.

adechrist

Smash Cadet
You're lucky im not coming to the next BCG. Seriously. You guys from Eugene BETTER be able to back up your self hype or else everyones gonna think you're a joke.
Lol. I know. But honestly it's way more fun if we over-hype everything. I honestly have no idea how Eugene is going to do. lol. It's just sh*t talking and stuff is what makes tournaments fun. I play for fun. Our goal in Eugene is to beat the people on the bottom half of the PR/beat Corvallis. Either we'll get ***** and you guys can make fun of us. Then we'll go home to start practicing 100 times harder so that next time we'll actually be able to back up what we say. Or we'll **** and then start practicing 100 times harder so that at the next tournament we can beat the people at the top of the PR.

Sorry if my comments offend any of you <3 I love Oregon and I want us all to get better so the next time there's a tournament like NWM we'll **** California and Washington.

wqqqqwrt

Smash Cadet
Seriously eugene, hyping yourselves this much is completely unnecessary. You guys aren't on this list because you've been to one or two tournaments with the rest of oregon and you didn't make many upsets or draw enough attention to yourselves. PR results are tournament results and bias. Tournament brackets are not always perfect and therefore bias fills in anything that the tournament results don't say. The problem with putting a eugene player on the pr is that no one has anything on you except decent to mediocre placings from a few tournaments. Now since we haven't gotten to know you guys, we have no bias and therefore no point of reference. Just be patient.

I'm a firm believer in walking before talking. I don't know if I've ever played any of you, maybe I have once, and if anything, you guys are on par with corvallis. Just let things flow. If any of you are good enough to be on the pr, it will happen in time.
Most of the people in Eugene are not asking to be on the PR or even care. It's really just AdeChrist which is ignorable for the most part there will always be people like that. My only attacks are specifically against double elim bracket. I'm not a fan.

"it's weird everyone took the eugene comments seriously. I thought it was clearly a joke"
lol

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
it's weird everyone took the eugene comments seriously. I thought it was clearly a joke

Also, PR is easy and you all need to understand that. If I was your PR master, I could easily create you the perfect PR. This is what happens when we have a silly hippy "everyone shares what they think" PR
Well, currently you'd be the worst PR master, cause you don't play, or enter singles. However I agree you have potential to be the best. That's why I suggested previously that foos give the final say. I think he is the most active player capable of controlling his bias and able to make informed decisions.

Hippy PR most adequately solves the cry baby problem, because "everyones opinions are considered" and solves the problem of having a small panel with self interested weirdo off base panelists involved.

Binx

Smash Master
Terms like 'noob' and 'good' are relative. Some of us have more experience with good competition than others, and have been conditioned further into knowing what works/doesn't work, recognizing patterns and all that stuff. And of course even the best players in Oregon could be called "noobs" just as much as anyone when compared to the better players out there.

@infinidude, I don't think there's anything wrong with caring. We're all playing this game with the intention of improving at it, and getting on the PR (or moving farther up if you're already on) is a way to prove to yourself you're improving. Besides, what's the point of a PR if nobody cares about it?

Thanks Cat well said, after NWM I realized how bad I really am, I knew I wasn't good but I had no idea there were so many people of that caliber around, it also gave me an idea of how attainable that skill level actually is which is good, I think that Oregon is prolly only a year or so from serious competition with those people as long as we keep up an active scene.

I wasn't trying to ever do the hippy everyone gets a say PR, was mainly just waiting for other panelists in the pr backroom to post lists we could average. Everyone is busy though I understand.

I would have agreed. Alas too much has happened since then. I'm standing by binx's list now. Solid list/dude backed hard.

lol thanks Kyle

pandacheck

Smash Ace
@adechrist - even if your peeps practiced 100x harder, i don't see you guys beating WA peeps and especially Cali Peeps lol, its a good goal though

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
lol thanks Kyle
No problem!! Your logic is infallible, your support for decision making is impeccable. On a good day you are obviously second best in Oregon also, which makes you even more capable of being a proper judge of skill as well. I don't know why it took me so long to realize this, and why no one else does. You're truly a god among men.

Binx

Smash Master
No problem!! Your logic is infallible, your support for decision making is impeccable. On a good day you are obviously second best in Oregon also, which makes you even more capable of being a proper judge of skill as well. I don't know why it took me so long to realize this, and why no one else does. You're truly a god among men.

The rest of Oregon could learn a lot from you.

Binx

Smash Master
yo if you make attainable goals you get them think you are good then give up
They say you should have a really difficult to reach end goal with mini goals along the way to help keep you motivated.

That being said it's for ****ies and you should just do the impossible in one sitting.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
They say you should have a really difficult to reach end goal with mini goals along the way to help keep you motivated.

That being said it's for ****ies and you should just do the impossible in one sitting.
Oh god. Its Bojangles.

Binx

Smash Master
Using Foos' list since no one else wanted to post anything and Ratking doesnt care about my opinions.

1) Eggz
2) Jonny
3) Juce
4) Foos
5) Ratking
6) Binx
7) Allen
8) Ryan
9) Paul
10) Brick

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Using Foos' list since no one else wanted to post anything and Ratking doesnt care about my opinions.

1) Eggz
2) Jonny
3) Juce
4) Foos
5) Ratking
6) Binx
7) Allen
8) Ryan
9) Paul
10) Brick
I don't think that was foos' exactly, but whatever. I was totally serious in my previous post though, Mr. #2, lets use yours!

T1MMY

Smash Apprentice
Did anyone ever address Brick's points about being ranked under Ryan when he's had better performance in tournaments? Just wondering, because I don't think I saw any argument against it after he posted the tournament data to back it up.

JonnyW

Smash Ace
Did anyone ever address Brick's points about being ranked under Ryan when he's had better performance in tournaments? Just wondering, because I don't think I saw any argument against it after he posted the tournament data to back it up.
Lol posting on your other account.

No one addressed it because they dont want to face the wrath of Ryan.

T1MMY

Smash Apprentice
Having a little bit of bias is understandable. Having huge bias is unacceptable.
I was just asking because I saw a well-grounded argument on the part of Nolan, but there was nothing significant to its contrary. By my understanding of argument that means Brick moves up on the PR until a stronger argument is presented.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Having a little bit of bias is understandable. Having huge bias is unacceptable.
I was just asking because I saw a well-grounded argument on the part of Nolan, but there was nothing significant to its contrary. By my understanding of argument that means Brick moves up on the PR until a stronger argument is presented.
I thought I had given reasons why I did this previous? Pretty much long story short, Ryan has more results, showing a consistent effort, while Brick has way less. The idea isn't to be penalized for not being able to constantly make it, but rather that in Brick's case, when entering the PR, I think there needs to be some sort of indication of consistency.

Also, aside from that, some of bricks results were from the previous time, when we updated for 2/16 I'm pretty sure. At some point what we are examining has to get cut off. If you don't, then that time Foos beat shane and got 1st, should be enough for him to get #2 this update... But it isn't, because stuff has changed since then. That **** factored into how Foos was ranked in that period when we made the decision, but that event doesn't really still weigh on how he is ranked now. Even Foos lowered himself, because he wasn't able to keep up with how he was performing then.)

I am not sure if this was everyone's rationale, but this was mine.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Nobody addressed my points, because they have huge bias. So clearly, Ryan is better.
this

also

Best Bout 9 ryan tied with ratking and myself beating cat losing to zelgadis and jonny

NWM ryan got 25th tied with noobking, dj combo, and matdottzeb out placed just about everyone else from Oregon except Jesse

Pretty sure that the only tournament you made it too this ranking period brick was NWM. While I have no problem believing that you and the rest of Corvallis could move up in the PR you guys gotta come to tournaments and prove it. Also I understand if you guys couldn't make it to many this ranking period cause it was a super short time for an update but there were quite a bit of tournaments in that time.

To clarify how things work when updating the top 10 list things from the past are taken into account but not weighed as heavily as things from the current tournaments. I'm sure you know, you were on the brawl pr and I had no problems with those updates. But just wanted to say that cause you keep posting up past events which matter a little bit but because people are improving so fast they're not counting towards much.

Was gonna say something else but forgot it I'll probably edit or post it later.

Peach Masta

Smash Lord
what is the ranking period for this update. Is this going all the way back to the beginning of the like 8 tournaments in a row? If that's the case, Brick also went to that tournament that the was at the twins house

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
Lol. So, how come I wasn't on the last PR update? Bias. All the tournies I listed off were in the last PR update. But apparently they didn't count for me then either.

Instead of looking at placings, look at who they beat/lost to. Yes Ryan outplaced me in bracket at NWM, but who did he beat to get there? Essentially nobody known at all.

Jonny, I beat you in a match that one time in tournament.

Ryan's never beaten you in tournament. Neither have I (except that one game). So just because hes beaten you in friendlies, when you play him WAAAY more than you play me, that logic is pretty much bs.

I'm actually kinda ticked. Because nobody has presented ANY evidence to beating anyone better or more consistently than the people I beat.

They just keep saying how they think hes better than I.

But since everyone has an opinion to a PR. Here is my ACTUAL (biased) list.

1. Bird (Can beat me and Allen)
2. Allen (Can beat me in tournament)
3. ME! (Beat eggz AND ratking in tournament, and eggz got 13th or some ****.)
4. Ryan (cuz apparently he's the best ever)
5. Jonny (cuz he can beat Ryan)
6-10 doesn't matter.

Also, IDC what evidence you put forth, this is my opinion, and thus is worth as much as everyone elses.

Whine whine whine if its not taken into account.

Also, foos, I addressed that evidence in my previous argument. So, you really haven't said anything more than what I said.

And don't say hes consistently done better than me, because thats complete bull****.

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
what is the ranking period for this update. Is this going all the way back to the beginning of the like 8 tournaments in a row? If that's the case, Brick also went to that tournament that the was at the twins house
no, that tournament was at the end of last period I think. Maybe at the start of this one. If so, that was his only time outside NWM. This period was everything after 2/16 basically. I think it was 6 tournaments including NWM, it started after the 8 tournament streak started.

People should probably just chill. Brick, come to more ****, do well, you will be ranked accordingly, it's been said time and time again. You're entering the PR now, you aren't going to enter really high. Only Shane did for obvious reasons. Next update period, if you keep doing well, then you will move up to top 5 or whatever, but you have to show up, and do the same each time. In the long run if it is bothering you so much, you should probably just forget about it. People aren't really listening to you, or taking you seriously (except maybe Gage), you are being kinda dramatic, and you will probably enjoy your time playing the game more if you care less about how you are ranked.

I'm done commenting on stuff though. Binx can be my mouthpiece from now on. He is a beast.

AlienAllen

Smash Ace
Brick has some legitimate points, and he used some good evidence. Healthy debate is a good thing.

I think what we are all forgetting is Kazuki should be number 1 because he has the most tech skill.

Top Bottom