• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon PR! updated 10/17/2014

T1MMY

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure you all know that I'm indifferent as far as actual rankings go (in Melee anyway), so I don't particularly care where Brick gets ranked (if at all). What I am not-so-indifferent about is the procedures and regulations you guys use to back up your rankings. That's just the sort of stuff that interests me, which is why I'm taking an active role in this discussion.

So while I will not be nit-picking about where people are ranked, I will be nit-picking about how they are ranked. I'm not going to be doing this to troll or whatever, but I'm just going to throw out some points that need to be addressed so that people like Brick won't have as much room to whine submit justified inquiries.

1. Ranking Periods
As far as I can see, there are no established 'ranking periods'. The rankings are made at whim and cover vague intervals. Establish a set period and follow through with it - this way people will not bring up 'old results' because they will actually know what 'old results' means instead of having to guess.

2. Ranking Criteria
Write up a criteria on how players are ranked. I suggest using the following criteria: in-person, Singles bracket, Rounds won (2-0, 2-1, 1-2, 0-2), player-vs-player results (not overall tournament ranking). Getting a bunch of people together and just throwing out arbitrary rankings does not stand to be a convincing Power Ranking - putting together a solid ranking based on actual results and facts makes for a convincing Power Ranking.

ChinesePanda777

Smash Apprentice
Binx 4 stocks me all day with all of his alts.

OR spacies need more double walljump on FD please.

I feel like I improve a lot over loooooong periods of smash (NWM weekend) but then forget it all by the next time I play T_T

Also, my modded version of melee is now the best.

lolololol random thoughts

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be so bothered by this if there was actually some evidence against what I'm saying. But, as far as I can see, there isn't any. Its just bias.

God with a Wavebird

Smash Apprentice
1. Ranking Periods
As far as I can see, there are no established 'ranking periods'. The rankings are made at whim and cover vague intervals. Establish a set period and follow through with it - this way people will not bring up 'old results' because they will actually know what 'old results' means instead of having to guess.

2. Ranking Criteria
Write up a criteria on how players are ranked. I suggest using the following criteria: in-person, Singles bracket, Rounds won (2-0, 2-1, 1-2, 0-2), player-vs-player results (not overall tournament ranking). Getting a bunch of people together and just throwing out arbitrary rankings does not stand to be a convincing Power Ranking - putting together a solid ranking based on actual results and facts makes for a convincing Power Ranking.
This is some real talk. MMs should be considered as well, although I think tournament results are more valuable.
Also, my modded version of melee is now the best.
We will have to compare our versions sometime ;)

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
I'm sure you all know that I'm indifferent as far as actual rankings go (in Melee anyway), so I don't particularly care where Brick gets ranked (if at all). What I am not-so-indifferent about is the procedures and regulations you guys use to back up your rankings. That's just the sort of stuff that interests me, which is why I'm taking an active role in this discussion.

So while I will not be nit-picking about where people are ranked, I will be nit-picking about how they are ranked. I'm not going to be doing this to troll or whatever, but I'm just going to throw out some points that need to be addressed so that people like Brick won't have as much room to whine submit justified inquiries.

1. Ranking Periods

2. Ranking Criteria
These things have been established... Well rather, there are some people that understand these concepts, and some that dont. Ranking periods are established. They are 3 months long. We only broke them, because we were giving inactives, who were not happy about being dropped from the PR, a chance to get back on the PR (These exceptions should probably not be made in the future. If they weren't then we wouldn't even be having a discussion right now, because we would still have 2 more Best Bouts (April and May) until the next update). They are back on track, and the next update should be in June after that months Best Bout.

As far as criteria, all my opinions are based almost solely on "player-vs-player results." In addition to this, the amount of such results also influences my decision, as the sample then becomes less random.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
These things have been established... Well rather, there are some people that understand these concepts, and some that dont. Ranking periods are established. They are 3 months long. We only broke them, because we were giving inactives, who were not happy about being dropped from the PR, a chance to get back on the PR (These exceptions should probably not be made in the future. If they weren't then we wouldn't even be having a discussion right now, because we would still have 2 more Best Bouts (April and May) until the next update). They are back on track, and the next update should be in June after that months Best Bout.

As far as criteria, all my opinions are based almost solely on "player-vs-player results." In addition to this, the amount of such results also influences my decision, as the sample then becomes less random.
So, based almost solely on "player-vs-player results"

explain to me how Ryan and ****ard are better than me? (since Binx speaks for you of course).

Mind you, use player vs. player results. Just like I already have.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
Sorry Brick didnt mean to piss you off.
You literally couldn't piss me off.

You could make me not like you, (you're far from that) but you can't actually piss me off.

You're too trolly irl and funny to be around.

Also your jiggly puff *****.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I contacted the owner of that webpage (the guy who made it?) with inquiries but never got a response back. I'll probably just go ahead and upload whatever TIO files I have lying around.
You mean FoxLisk? Your best bet for contacting him is to just post in the player database thread in Melee Discussion. Let me know when you guys start uploading stuff!

T1MMY

Smash Apprentice
I started loading stuff.
Right now it was just BCG1 because that was the only TIO file I still have on my laptop. t0mmy has BCG2 so I'll see about uploading that.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Also, if you guys don't have the tio files but have bracket images posted somewhere, we can recreate the tio files from the bracket images.

Here's BCG1: http://www.ssbpd.com/tournament/Big City Gamin'
If you could suggest character mains / region (if any aren't Oregon) for any of these players that'd be great. Player ratings won't be updated / correct until the next database reprocessing event, which will be within the next couple days or so.

Izayah

Smash Journeyman
Also, if you guys don't have the tio files but have bracket images posted somewhere, we can recreate the tio files from the bracket images.

Here's BCG1: http://www.ssbpd.com/tournament/Big City Gamin'
If you could suggest character mains / region (if any aren't Oregon) for any of these players that'd be great. Player ratings won't be updated / correct until the next database reprocessing event, which will be within the next couple days or so.
I wanted to use this program when it was first introduced but I wanted to see it become fleshed out first. Basically I wanted to make sure it worked by having people test it for me. I then forgot about it completely.

T1MMY

Smash Apprentice
Big City Gamin' 1
Apparently spaces and single-quotes don't link correctly here on Smashboards...

FoosJR :sheik:
Tasty [Unknown character]
Ryan [Unknown character]
Phil Nye the Science Guy :marth:
PORO [Unknown character]
Ratking :fox:
Purpletuce
keith :falco:
Infinitora :falcon:
Brick :jigglypuff:
****ard [Unknown character]
JonnyW :falcon:
Jarod [Unknown character]
Vox the Fox :fox:
mike [Unknown character]
TheCatPhysician :fox:
Pwneroni [Unknown character] (Falcon? Link?)
Bird :falcon:
Mr Postman [Unknown character]
Ronin686 [Unknown character]
AlienAllen :falcon:
Spicy [Unknown character]

That's the best I can do.

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
purpletuce is yoshi, bird is falco, jiz*ard is falco, postman is sheik, ronin idk. You listed spicy twice.

Infinitora

Smash Journeyman
Poro is no doubt Oliver, he plays Falco. Guten Worken, t1mmyen! Also, Postman I THINK was Falcon still at this time, wasn't he? And I think Ryan plays Jiggs, but don't quote me on that, that's what the internet tells me.

FoosJr

Smash Ace
Ryan is jiggs post man is still falcon he's not picking up sheik anymore and ****ard is falco other than that good job timmy I also like the idea of uploading our tournament results to ssbpd seems like a great way to keep track of everything only thing wrong I can think of about it is how many people use the same name I'd assume bird and ryan get used by more than just our bird and ryan. We're gonna have to give them awesome nicknames.

ChinesePanda777

Smash Apprentice
Is there a way to edit tags? The tag of Panda is already held by someone in Germany haha. PandaPajamas would be better.

T1MMY

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the added info. Our cooperative skills are 1337. No wonder Oregon is so good in Teams. ;)

Without further ado (in alphabetical order none-the-less)
AlienAllen :falcon:
Bird :falco:
Brick :jigglypuff:
FoosJR :sheik:
Infinitora :falcon:
Jizzard :falco:
JonnyW :falcon:
Jarod [Unknown character]
keith :falco:
Mr Postman :falcon:
mike [Unknown character]
Phil Nye the Science Guy :marth:
PORO :falco:
Purpletuce :yoshi:
Pwneroni [Unknown character] Falcon/Link?
Ronin686 [Unknown character]
Spicy [Unknown character] DK?
Ryan :jigglypuff:
Ratking :fox:
Tasty [Unknown character]
TheCatPhysician :fox:
Vox the Fox :fox:

wqqqqwrt

Smash Cadet
alright my name PORO should be changed to wqqqqwrt
PORO was an experiment and i sometimes use it as a smashtag, but it's more of a joke than anything else

linkisthebest123

Smash Journeyman
Ratking knows all and sees all.

Thus in turn, since binx reps ratking, he also knows and sees all.

Binx for best icer ever!

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
But would I be a good Messiah with my low self-esteem?
If I don't believe in myself would that be blasphemy?
Just sport some crummy "holier than thou" facade
Yeah that's what I would do if I were God

:phone:

Ratking1234

Smash Ace
Silence Gage! I banish you to 7 years of **** holding in the **** dungeon. You have disgraced my PR thread for the last time.

(Too bad that **** gets censored, cause "****" dungeon is gold.)

DAMNNN YOU KRYNXE!!!! AT LEAST EDIT IT AND WRITE SOMETHING COOL NEXT TIME! I AM GOING TO UTILT YOUR FACE OFF AT GC.
:phone:

Top Bottom