• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OSTS: Alliance - December 19th & 20th 2009 - Amsterdam - We need Wii's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
These are the rulesets for Melee and Brawl. You can PM me with any comments/suggestions you might have, but no discussion in the thread. Any changes will be reflected in this post, but expect there to be few.

General rules for Melee:

• 4 Stock
  • 8 minute timer
  • Items are set to "off".
  • All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above will be played out for any "finals" matches). Finals will best best of 7.
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
  • No player may choose the stage they have LAST won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
  • In the event of a dispute in team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
  • If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
  • Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime.
  • You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Additional Rules for Doubles Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed.
  • Set team attack to ON.
  • Timer is set to 10 minutes.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List, taking no more than 2 minutes
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage List

Starter
Battlefield
Dream Land 64
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams (*can't be chosen in teams, replace with Yoshi's Story)
Pokémon Stadium

Counterpicks
Yoshi's Story

General rules for Brawl:

• 3 Stock
  • 8 minute timer
  • Items are set to "off" and "none".
  • All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 and above will be played out for any "finals" matches). Finals will be best of 7.
  • In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
  • No player may choose the stage they have LAST won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
  • In the event of a dispute in team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
  • If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
  • Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.
  • If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
  • Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
  • Dedede’s standing infinite and little walk infinite are banned. This applies to matches against Bowser, Donkey Kong, Mario, Luigi and Samus.
  • You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
  • Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Additional Rules for Doubles Play
  • Life Stealing is allowed.
  • Set team attack to ON.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List, taking no more than 2 minutes
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stage List

Starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Pokémon Stadium 1

Important update: When players meet for the second time in the DE bracket, the score from their first set is carried over to the second set.

Example: Player A and Player B ended a Bo3 set in the winner’s bracket with a score of 2-1. If they meet again in the loser’s bracket at a point where Bo5 is played, they instead play a Bo9 that starts with a score of 2-1 in favor of player A. As you can see, the second set is a Bo(x+y+1), with x being the maximum number of matches in the first set and y being the maximum number of matches in the second set at that point in the bracket.

If this applies to the finals, only the first set is played under these conditions. This means that if the player who lost the first set in the bracket wins the first set in finals, the second set is played out as a Bo7 that starts at 0-0.

Slhoka

Smash Lord
I really like this ruleset.

Also, I'm now almost sure to come. I'm gonna plan my trip with the other Frenchies attending this (porc, Benoit and Baxon among others) so we travel together, but I think I'm gonna arrive in Amsterdam on December 18th anyway. I'd also want to visit Amsterdam so I'd love to to stay one or two days after the tournament. Anyone would house me ?

peyudosmith

Smash Journeyman
the ruleset is weird

no yoshi's story on starters?

I'm unlikely to come, but I'll try

edit. FoD the most neutral? I don't think so XD

°UÇK

Smash Journeyman
I found some... not so expensive flight tickets from bremen to amsterdam. I'm very likely to attend now. Unfortunately the guy who is in charge to authorise my vacation is in vacation himself. Therefore i can not buy the tickets/confirm untill the 2nd of november.

cenel

Smash Apprentice
Cenel lives in eindhoven.
I'd house people if I could, but since I live with my parents I can't house anyone, they don't like me getting into this game this much to begin with XD. But I know some brawlers that live in Den Bosch and that could maybe house people. Lullo and Kodama. They offered me once to stay over to smash some days but i couldnt go. Den Bosch is like 20 minutes from Eindhoven with the train and you pass it anyway on your way to amsterdam by train.

Nyr

Smash Cadet
Yeah! I'm playing this tournament, and it will be my first one. Have no experience whatsoever, but I'm playing to get experience and for fun, anyway.

Will be playing Brawl singles & doubles, since I'll get my *** whooped in Melee anyways. It's a bit too expensive for me to play both.

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
Yeah! I'm playing this tournament, and it will be my first one. Have no experience whatsoever, but I'm playing to get experience and for fun, anyway.

Will be playing Brawl singles & doubles, since I'll get my *** whooped in Melee anyways. It's a bit too expensive for me to play both.
You registered in May 2008 and this'll be your first tournament?
Lol XD

Nyr

Smash Cadet
You registered in May 2008 and this'll be your first tournament?
Lol XD
I've never really been into tournaments. ;D Only registered to lurk around the character specific boards and make a post once in a blue moon.

I figured I should really play one sometime, so here I am.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Can we agree that banning infinites is scrubby and that we should throw that stupid rule into the trashcan?

I'm interested, so is Luigi_Player. We'll need housing if we come.

:059:

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Important update to the ruleset: When players meet for the second time in the DE bracket, the score from their first set is carried over to the second set.

Example: Player A and Player B ended a Bo3 set in the winner’s bracket with a score of 2-1. If they meet again in the loser’s bracket at a point where Bo5 is played, they instead play a Bo9 that starts with a score of 2-1 in favor of player A. As you can see, the second set is a Bo(x+y+1), with x being the maximum number of matches in the first set and y being the maximum number of matches in the second set at that point in the bracket.

If this applies to the finals, only the first set is played under these conditions. This means that if the player who lost the first set in the bracket wins the first set in finals, the second set is played out as a Bo7 that starts at 0-0.

Utto, kun jij dit ook op SmashNL erbij zetten?

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
It's a terrible rule. Let's have a poll. It's unfair to give an advantage to someone who has already won a set. It's better to just play two sets and see who won the most games.

Remen

Smash Apprentice
It's a terrible rule. Let's have a poll. It's unfair to give an advantage to someone who has already won a set. It's better to just play two sets and see who won the most games.
Holy **** you're a genius! Oh wait, that's EXACTLY what this rule does in the most standardized way possible.
And no, we're not having a poll. If you can present a valid argument against it, you're more than welcome to share it here.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Holy **** you're a genius! Oh wait, that's EXACTLY what this rule does in the most standardized way possible.
And no, we're not having a poll. If you can present a valid argument against it, you're more than welcome to share it here.
By saying this you're saying we should just make the set longer than it needs to be to determine a winner.

And Rayman, why ignore me on MSN and post here? Would've cost you a lot less time.

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
By saying this you're saying we should just make the set longer than it needs to be to determine a winner.
No, cause even though the set becomes longer, the score also carries over. In a way, it's unfair the if someone beats someone else in semi-winners 3-0, but loses losers finals 4-3 to the same player, that other player goes to the finals, even though you beat him more games (6-4). With this system though, you just start the score at 3-0 and the set would be a best of 13. They already used this system at the MLG tournaments years ago in the US (I'm not sure if they still use it at other (large) tournaments :/)

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
So if someone beats someone else 3-0, and the set will be best of 13, you're saying it would take LESS time than just having a second set and looking at the games won after that?

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
So if someone beats someone else 3-0, and the set will be best of 13, you're saying it would take LESS time than just having a second set and looking at the games won after that?
No, where did you see me say that? -_-
I just said it would be more fair and it would not take much more time.

Doraki

Smash Lord
Sure, let's do a second set.
the previous loser then wins 3-1, great for him !
But, oh noes, looking at the number of games won, it's 4-3 for the previous winner !
In fact, just winning back 3-0 wouldn't have been enough !! What is he expected to DO, then ?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Sure, let's do a second set.
the previous loser then wins 3-1, great for him !
But, oh noes, looking at the number of games won, it's 4-3 for the previous winner !
In fact, just winning back 3-0 wouldn't have been enough !! What is he expected to DO, then ?
Assuming you're talking Grand Finals, as it's best of 5, you have to play a best set. You can't win grand finals with 1-1 in sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom