• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OTL: The Guide to Joining & Hosting Online Tournaments and Other Recources~

C_I_N

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4527-9843-3785
Any plans for setting some new online tourney standards? :0

Last edited:

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Oh lord the 4 year bump.

I'm sure we'll set some new stuff up here soon but can't say when yet

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Oh lord the 4 year bump.

I'm sure we'll set some new stuff up here soon but can't say when yet
Speaking of new stuff, I proposed a "rewards system" of sorts called Battle Points (BP) over in the OTL social thread last night. You can check that out if it intrigues you or any other old time OTL'ers and get some feedback to me if you think it's worthy of being tested out in future online tournaments that are held on here :)

On another topic, Isn't it possible to send/give other players E-shop funds?

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Very easily actually, that was what I used to offer for prizes back in the day. You might even be able to do it directly, but what I'd do is just buy the point cards in a store and give the code to the winner afterwards.

As for the BP stuff, I haven't looked at it yet but I'm guessing it's like a ladder type thing? If so, its much much better to leave that to a program instead of trying to juggle a bunch of people yourself. Or I could be wrong and that's me just going on.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
We did used to have an OTL Power Ranking leaderboard back in the day, I'm thinking we wait a bit for tournaments and stuff to talk get under way before we consider stuff like.thay though.

Also I'm thinking of hosting a tournament when WiiU version hits with an Amazon voucher as a prize, you think people would take that? XD

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
I wouldn't turn it down

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
As of now, I see that the OP has yet to be updated with new info regarding Smash for 3DS/Wii U online tournaments and has been showing a "soon to be updated" message since October 8th. In the meantime, I feel I should give a few solid pointers to anyone new to Smash Bros tournaments of the online variety who would like to host a few tournaments of their own until the OP is finally updated!

A. Professionalism for the win baby! Now you don't have to be some big shot from EVO or MLG to run a small online tournament for smash bros, but most people would rather read a well organized and detailed OP for a tournament thread than a few small lines like

"Hey guyz, imma be hostin a small 16 man tournament. Ask me for details via PM"

Tools like Bold font, colors, and even text size are your friend when making a classy OP when starting a new thread for your tournament.

You should also be a kind, but fair TO when running an online tournament. This is common sense...but well you know...SOME PEOPLE neglect this small yet trivial piece of common sense!

B. Sign up sheets are a must. I do sign up sheets like this (username)/ (challonge username) / (3DS/Wii U Friend Code) / characters you are going to use or are allowed to use. This in my experience is useful as one can easily skim and scan their opponents info (namely friend codes) and saves both time and any frustration that might otherwise occur

C. Challonge.com is your friend. Challonge is a free and easy to use bracket making software. When making a challonge page for your tournament, specify what type of tournament it will be as well as how many players are allowed to join. This step is easier done than explained and experience will come with using it especially the day your tournament starts and you are updating the brackets as people finish their matchups.

D. Chatrooms are optional, but they are useful as a way of keeping track of who is and isn't here the day your tournament begins. If you don't want to use one, then make it a point when sending out a reminder for your combatants to at least keep a tab open on your tournament thread and post in said thread as needed the day of the tournament.

E. Start small. I've run as of now two 16 man tournaments and plan on testing the waters with a 32 man single elimination tournament a few weeks from now. When starting out as a TO, don't bite off more than you can chew. There is no shame in running a small 16 or even 8 man online tournament. Trust me, I know!

F. BE ON TIME. This also sounds like common sense, but you would be surprised how many people neglect to be on time. As a TO, you want to set a good example for others and be on time the day of the tournament. Also, you should encourage all of your participants to be here or in the chatroom of your choice at least half an hour before your tournament starts if not earlier.

G. Don't put up with no-shows! It is going to happen one way or the other. Someone fails to check in on the tournament's challonge page or if they did check in, they are nowhere to be found when the tournament starts. In the case of the latter, give them a 10-15 minute grace period. If they don't show, they are automatically disqualified. In the case of the former, make it clear that those who fail to check in before the start of the tournament will be disqualified when the tournament starts.

H. Be creative! A standard 16/32/48/64 man tournament is fine every now and then, but what fun is that? Ever since online tournaments in the smash bros community became a thing with the release of Brawl back in 2008, OTL has been known for fun, wacky, and most importantly, creative tournaments that most IRL tournaments simply wouldn't allow for! My second OTL tournament for example, "Girl Power #1: War of the Demi-Goddesses" was a themed tournament where you could only play as female characters and characters with a female alt. In addition, there were two teams complete with which femme fatales were allowed on which team.

I. Be reasonable. Don't go overboard with your creative and original tournament idea. Also, if you need to change for example, the time the tournament starts, let your combatants know a few days at least in advance.

J. Watch em like a hawk. Pre-tournament, you will probably want to send out a PM or two in the days leading up to your tournament to everyone participating. Moreso if your tournament won't be happening until a few weeks or a month after you post the thread for it. In your PM, you should have links such as the challonge page, your chatroom of choice, etc. Again, act professional when typing up the PM's. When the tournament begins, keep tabs on the chatroom and the challonge page so you can easily make changes to the brackets as players progress in the tournament and if there are no-shows or people who drop out mid tournament for whatever reason.

K. Rules Please. Pretty obvious, but when typing up the rules and/or guidelines for your tournament, they should include things like stock limit, time limit, what stages are allowed, and whatever unique rules your tournament shall have.

L. Video footage is nice to have. Twitch is pretty common for tournaments these days and also doubles as a chatroom of sorts. If you or a friend have a Twitch and can stream Smash for 3DS/Wii U without much of a problem, then do so. You can also invite most if not all of the combatants to join your room (as long as they have your FC) and then SD yourself when the match begins so that the two combatants can then duke it out in peace.

M. Rewards are optional, but nice all the same. If you do plan on having a reward to first place or the top 4/8/12 depending on tournament size, that is fine. Gift cards or e-shop funds tend to work nicely as rewards. I myself am using a system I came up with called "Battle Points" (feel free to use em as a reward if you want). More details about BP can be found in the thread I made for it here on OTL

http://smashboards.com/threads/otl-...ter-redeem-all-of-your-hard-earned-bp.374363/

N. Time is everything! This is more important than you might think at first. As certain smashers live in different timezones, you should take that into account and either post a link to a timezone map or if people ask, tell em when they should be here the day of your tournament. i.e If your tournament starts at 5PM Central Time, that would be 3PM PST, 4 PM MT, and 6PM EST

O. Plan Ahead! It probably goes without saying, but not many people if any are going to play in your 64 man tournament if its held during the week (because of school/work coming first) or during a time like Winter Break (Christmas or whatever religious holiday your kin celebrates where many smashers might have travel plans arranged ahead of time.) With that said, most online tournaments are held during the weekend when many people are off from school/work. If you are hosting a larger tournament during the weekend, consider splitting it into two days.

P. For huge tournaments...I admittedly have no experience of my own hosting a 64 man and above tournament, but from what I remember reading a while back in the OP for this thread, if you really want to host a gigantic tournament that will take a lot of time to fully complete, keep these three things in mind

1. As stated in O. ; Plan ahead if you are hosting a tournament, but especially plan ahead if you are hosting a giant one. Depending on if its 64 or even 100+ (which do exist, but are generally rare to see), the weekend may or may not be enough time to properly conduct a large scale tournament.

2. Continuing from 1. Let's say for example you want to host a....128 man tournament with sign up sheets for both 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash 4. First, a 64 man sign up sheet for both versions will suffice. If you have players that want to sign up for both events, make a special note of it. (i.e make their sign up information a specific color). Second, I would say the best time to get this done would be during the summer when many smashers are out of school or even work. Third, you definitely want at least a co-host to help you manage a colossal event like this. More so if the format is Double-Elimination (which has a loser's bracket)

3. Rewards are a must. In the above example I gave, no one's going to want to even sign up for it if there's no prize involved. As I have said, Nintendo-e shop funds are the easiest reward to hand out the winner(s).

Q. Thanks to the recent Nintendo Direct, we now know that hosting tournaments online in the Wii U version of the game will be possible once Nintendo releases the update that will allow for online tournaments. I would imagine that when hosting a tournament on there that only friends can join, you will have a plethora of rules to use. (not to mention streaming an online Wii U tournament would be a simple task) However, we will soon know for sure what we can and cannot do regarding this option when playing online in the Wii U version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom