• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm going to be home every weeknight due to being on call anyways, so any evening is good. Just give me a call before you drop by. If you have time, we could play some Brawl too :)
I'm still not 100% sure of my plans, but now it looks like I'll be around until next week thursday or so. Although I still can't make it to FFYF2 (other weekend plans :(), you might as well hang onto the TV until next week; even bring it to FFYF2 if you want/can. Also I might be able to make it to a thursday/friday mini-smashfest, so awesome, I'm not totally gone yet!

Mike. Come to Niagararara and play sumtime with me?
yes yes yes!

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I won't be going to FFYF2, so extra spot in cam's car is avaliable.

Thanks for the videos Cam!

Fogel

Smash Lord
I won't be going to FFYF2, so extra spot in cam's car is avaliable.

Thanks for the videos Cam!
:( I am sad that you aren't going.

Please tell Phil that he's got a spot...let me know if he is still going to go or not. Also, tell Derek and Phil to be at my place before 8 on Saturday morning, or at least to give me a call if they need to be picked up so we can work something out. I'm not sure if you have my cell number or not; pm me if you need it.

PND

Smash Champion
Wow, when you guys said surprise, I had no idea you meant. . . that. lol

I expected a 9 Hammer finish or something. >_>

joblin

Smash Apprentice
As I stated on one of the vids, I find this much more intense and energetic than if it were played in say FD.

The 2009 Brawl Roster Awards Results are up on the HD Thread.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Does anyone want the 5th spot in my car for FFYF2? If not, I'm going to take another TV.

Also, Randy, can you please confirm with Phil soon so that I know if he's coming or not?

Phrozn

Smash Journeyman
hai guys!!

I had a spontainious weekend and showed up at the brawl/melee tournament in brampton. i lost doubles, won a money match and didnt have time for singles cause of my ride back needing to go. the toronto melee players haven't gotten much better, lol. i didnt see the brawl much.

SAUS

Smash Ace
*Hug Cam* hooray! btw i am confirmed... i will probably stay over on saturday to make things easier... anyways, got a boatload of work to do. See you later! YAY DANIEL! >< AMBUSH!!!!!!!

Linkshot

Smash Hero
omg Derek posted :O My dad's still up for taking people. Moses and Ariel need to confirm their spots.

WE HAVE HOUSING DUE TO THE FREE SPOT.

I think Joel said we're staying at Fizzi's.

Fogel

Smash Lord
The stage builder Grand Finals are randomly getting a lot of views. For some reason, the one that is just the stage building without even a match at the end is the most popular. You guys must have been pimping this stuff out.

Don't forget, Thursday smashfest 5-10:30, and Friday smashfest doesn't start until 8. Also, I may want to end the Friday one a bit earlier so that I can get decent sleep before FFYF2. I'm a big believer in getting a good night's sleep before an important tourney.

hai guys!!

I had a spontainious weekend and showed up at the brawl/melee tournament in brampton. i lost doubles, won a money match and didnt have time for singles cause of my ride back needing to go. the toronto melee players haven't gotten much better, lol. i didnt see the brawl much.
lol awesome. Who did you beat?

Were any controllers thrown? Did stuff go through your ****ing shield?

*Hug Cam* hooray! btw i am confirmed... i will probably stay over on saturday to make things easier... anyways, got a boatload of work to do. See you later! YAY DANIEL! >< AMBUSH!!!!!!!
By Saturday I hope you meant Friday, because we're leaving on Saturday :p

Phil is confirmed by the way
OK good. Is he coming Friday night/Saturday morning, or am I going to have to pick him up from somewhere?

Phrozn

Smash Journeyman
I dont even know who I played in a money match. He was asian and lives in Waterloo and had great fox tech skill. Probably the flashiest tech skill I saw that day. Too bad drill shine to drill shine doesnt work lol. I got him with like three triple up-smashes lol. No controllers got thrown, derek wasn't there. But it was crazy, there were TWO people who went by the name Sause or Saus3 or some kind of copy of you. Raynex was like thats not the real saus! and unknown522 got scared.

:D

Sanu

Smash Champion
Phrozn you ***!! Why didn't you make yourself more visible at Prepare Yourself? I haven't seen you since Ottawa in 07 :(. I had no idea that you were there.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I dont even know who I played in a money match. He was asian and lives in Waterloo and had great fox tech skill. Probably the flashiest tech skill I saw that day. Too bad drill shine to drill shine doesnt work lol. I got him with like three triple up-smashes lol. No controllers got thrown, derek wasn't there. But it was crazy, there were TWO people who went by the name Sause or Saus3 or some kind of copy of you. Raynex was like thats not the real saus! and unknown522 got scared.

:D
Awesome story...triple up smash shows that you still have the true Ottawa spirit! :) Derek will be happy to know that he has impersonators.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
I have only one thing to say... joblin up smash, awYAH!

Oh! And I have a recorded 'Judge Joblin' on Derek on my Wii.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Hello Ottawa scene,

I'd like to try and run a Swiss system tournament for one of the biweeklies at some point soon. It's a long read, and don't feel obligated to read the whole article, but I'll describe the basics. With the Swiss system, everyone would get to play the same number of rounds (in our case, a 16 person tournament, 4 rounds). For each round, you would always be paired with someone of similar skill (specifically, with people who have a similar win/loss record to your own). There is no 'bracket'; as everything depends on win-loss record, the results of the current round must be in before the next round's pairings can be created.

Here is why I want to try this out: right now, bad players, like whomever is 6th worst in Ottawa, get eliminated early and only get like 2 or 3 matches in at a biweekly. Meanwhile, good players, like Ben or Derek, get 319048982347923 rounds every biweekly because they always get far in the brackets. The good players are getting more tournament matches, and therefore more tournament experience, than everyone else. On the other hand, people who are not as competitive, or can't play as often, are frustrated because they feel they are wasting money just to lose two matches right away and get eliminated. This system would allow everyone to get the same number of tournament matches in as everyone else, while still being competitive for the top tier people.

I think this could be a benefit to the Ottawa community as a whole because:
  • Less experienced players will get more tournament games in (therefore, more tournament experience), since they won't be eliminated just for losing early
  • Matches will be closer because you will always be paired with people that have a similar win/loss record
  • It is still competitive; there can only be one true winner (in a 16 person Swiss tournament with 4 rounds, only one can be 4-0) and people with high win-loss records will be playing others with high win-loss records (ie: if you win a lot, you will play others who win a lot, ensuring good competition)
  • For the PR, it would help increase accuracy of the mid/low tier players, as there would be more matches played between them to help determine placings

Now, there are a couple of drawbacks. First, it would take more time than just double-elimination, meaning we would either have to start earlier or make the rounds shorter somehow. Also, tiebreakers/payouts would be more complicated to figure out, but there are systems to work out 2nd and 3rd place which we can try. Lastly, I don't think there's Swiss tournament software, so it would have to be done by hand, or I'd have to write something quickly by myself. I do have experience with the Swiss format (I played in Magic the Gathering tournaments which used this system...and I actually read the whole Wikipedia article!) so I think I can handle this part.

To start, I propose that one week we skip doubles and do a Swiss singles-only biweekly, to ensure that we have enough time to do this. It's an experiment; I want to see if people think this is better or worse than what's currently used now. If it goes really well, maybe we can even have a large OBscene-ish Swiss tournament at some point and let other cities try it out. Ottawa is crazy and likes trying different things; this is one of those things :p What does everyone think?

tl;dr version:

I want to try a different tournament system at a biweekly which would give everyone an equal amount of matches. To have enough time to do it, we would need to skip doubles for that biweekly. Are you interested in trying it out?

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Cam, I'm a lover of keeping track of little information. I could easily whip things up in Notepad.

I'm totally for this. For ties, you just use a fresh 0-0 record and have them play it out.

buenob

Smash Lord
ok, I've been familiar with the swiss system for a long, long time, as it's what is used in GO tournaments (where Cam is getting this from I'm assuming, but then I read it again and aparently it's from magic... yeah magic tournaments use it, but a 2-day 6-game go tournament is really where it's at)...

it's a great system, but it requires pretty good seeding, and possibly even separation into two brackets to start, but that would effectively eliminate 1/2 of the field from coming in 1st... but this would not be necessary if we skipped doubles... or ran a 5-6 round tournament... just 4 will require really, really good seeding...

alan - you can't do this with notepad... excel I could do this with easily, and there's enough programmers in our ranks that we can figure this out if need be...

also, I'm totally down for this :)

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Cam: I think this is an excellent idea and should be implemented asap. This gives everyone a fighting chance to not only get more games in but to get better. Only getting 2 games in every biweekly gives for a poor chance for learning new things and getting better. This might create a stronger Ottawa base. As you mentioned Cam it would also help a lot with the PR list seeing how we will all essentially have a ranking ratio of wins-losses, which can be carried over to future biweeklies. The person with the better ratio will be higher in the tier list.

Alan: You can easily create a DOS program to calculate all of this for you using C++, and by easily I mean take a couple days. Excel could work too.

I heart how Ottawa stands out for exploration and change when it comes to Smash. Maybe this will strengthen the community and how its played. If you never push, you'll never have any break throughs.

LivewiresXe: Second worst? I don't mean this is a rude way but who's the the 1st worst?

PND

Smash Champion
I am the worst.

Look, my name is at the bottom of the list. Tru fax. I'm scrub without Ariel backing me and my non dry potatoes up.

Anyway, a couple thoughts/statements/ramblings:
(Because I <3 you guys)

1st: Swiss seeding.
This idea is excellent. It should be run as an alternating alternative to double elimination in effort to allow the scene to flourish.
(I just used "alternating alternative." Huh, isn't language fun?)

2nd: Back to the capital?
If some of you recall (those who I talked to during OBScene, mostly) I was tossing around the idea of moving back to Ottawa depending on how my entrance exam for the RCMP went on the 16th of March. . .

well. . .

*drumroll*

I had to delay it to May 9th. -_- I won't know anything until then.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, that's gotta be a nailbiter. I was going to ask you how that went, but got caught up with some stuff and forgot. Oops, lol.

Edit: And joblin, isn't there some MetaKnight guy who hasn't shown in forever that's listed as wo-.....crap, he's not listed anymore... :(

joblin

Smash Apprentice
LivewiresXe: I think you mean Justin. He now plays ROB and is really annoying at range spamming then spot dodge to dSmash repeat. He doesn't show as often as he should to stay on the list. Personally I've been to more events than most of the people in low tier, excluding Fogel of course, and I'm not on the list. Its quite flaky and only loosely represents everyone's skill. Doesn't matter, I know my place in Ottawa.

buenob

Smash Lord
lol keep in mind this is just randy's version, I personally have a way different list, but am too lazy // apathetic to do anything about it

see you guys in montrea! (see what i did there?)

Top Bottom