• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Melee Thread - Updated Summer 2016 Power Rankings!

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Yes of course!

@Alan: We could probably still play other stuff if you're able to come.

Edit: BC AL!!!!!!!! Get over here :DDDD!!!!!!!!!

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
We had quite a bit of a crowd today anyways! GGs to everybody! Somebody bring a console next time, haha.

It's too bad you couldn't make it Alan. We'll have to play another time. :)

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
@Niko: Alright sounds cool! When are you in Ottawa?

@Diakonos: We already know about it! I'm hyped about it! Didn't know Montreal was planning to come!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: When should we play again?

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Hmmm, I'm not sure about Wednesday for me. I'm usually on campus until about 3:00. I might be staying later that day for chess club... Also I've got an appointment...

It might not be a problem, things might change, but another day would probably be better.

Also, I wanted to hype up the tournament with some casual players I play with on campus. Couldn't hurt to try.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So, here's the scoop. The Algonquin tourney is experiencing a bit of uncertainty on the usual rules, bans/starters/counterpicks/etc that you guys do with Melee and what ruleset to use. I was wondering if perhaps you guys could help and give us an idea because Krackatoa says that he'd let you guys who know Melee sort out the rules.

And Niko might be coming to Ottawa? Holy crap, I haven't seen or heard from that guy since I dropped Brawl for Blazblue like 3 and a half-4 years ago, lol.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
We might need to discuss this for a bit. Otherwise, here is what people generally use.

http://smashboards.com/threads/313252/

These days the tournament standard seems to be a more conservative stage list.

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield, Final Destination, Dreamland, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick Stage:
Pokémon Stadium

I'd be fine with these stages, but I'm not sure what you guys think.

There's also the wobbling issue which is always a fun topic... I'm on the fence about it as usual. I honestly don't mind it being legal.

I think we should keep the ruleset as simple as possible.

Any thoughts?

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Stalling in a tournament match is prohibited. Stalling includes:
  • Maintaining any map position not on or immediately above the stage via stalling techniques, when in possession of a stock/percent lead (null when both players are using the same character).
  • Using an inescapable technique to damage your opponent past the 300% threshold (null as long as PS is not on default layout).
  • "Stalling Techniques" include:
    -Peach Bomber
    -Wobbling
    -Blizzobbling
    -Rising Pound
    -Battlefield Infinite Walljump
according to Chris' link.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
BATTLEFIELD ONLY.
Banned Stages
Icicle
Depths
Big Blue
Yoshi's 64
Temple
Final Destination

Jerkwad Stages
Kongo (River)
Green Greens
Great Bay
MK II

Struck Stages
Everything else

GENTLEMAN'S CLAUSE

If both parties agree, you may play your set as either whoever can make the most progress in Adventure (Very Easy) without taking damage, or who the last man standing in [a Bo3] Impossible Ganondorf is.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
If we stick to the apex ruleset then wobbling is banned. It's one of the points.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I know that, but we don't have to stick to it 100%.

I'm not saying we shouldn't ban wobbling, but it seems to be the only rule issue we have in Ottawa.

It's ridiculously easy to pull off technically, I was able to do it and I have never touched Ice climbers in my life.

If Al doesn't even come it won't be an issue, lol. And if he does but he doesn't post here, we could ban it anyways, looooooool.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
I talked to LivewiresXe about the ruleset. Not sure if you guys have or not.

We're leaning towards having wobbling banned.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
Al, it's easy.

Charles, your trolling is getting aggravating. Not really your fault, things are just really stressful for me right now.

I'm not saying I want it banned, I don't, and I'm not saying it's ban worthy.

I agree with you Al, I'd rather face you with your full potential.

However for this tournament, we're probably going to have wobbling be banned.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Pshh, it's not that easy to pull off in high pressure situations with a lot of things at stake =P and I do not, and i repeat I DO NOT WANT to start any nerd arguments related to wobbling. I am for it obviously as an Ice Climber main, just because you guys will never face my full potential you know ;) I mean it's dishonorable to not put up a fight with everything your character is capable of. Regardless, do whatever, I am not going to nerd fight over it. I'm sick of arguing with Charlesz over this matter.
This actually makes no sense. There are reasons why stages, tactics and certain moves are banned in this game; it's to promote a sort of fairness in tournament play. According to your reasoning I should be able to counterpick Hyrule temple with Fox so I can laser camp and ledge camp with Sheik as soon as I get a percentage lead until the timer runs out.

BL!TZ

Smash Ace
That's a good point.

If you want to talk to LivewiresXe about it go ahead. Keep in mind he doesn't play Melee, I don't think...

We're going to be having players from Montreal coming over. I know it's a really weak argument, but the standard on the East Coast is to have wobbling be banned.

I don't really want to be arguing about this either. I'm already really stressed about more important things. At this point in time, I'd rather not be worrying about whether wobbling should be banned or not.

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Instead of giving examples or stating your reasoning why wobbling should be legal, you instead dodge and resort to cowardly tactics like "I don't want you to cry over it again" and " I DO NOT WANT to start any nerd arguments related to wobbling". And me "crying" over to ban wobbling is just as plausible as you "crying" to legalize the move, what a hypocrite lol

Charlesz

Smash Champion
Well within reasonable tournament rules. In all tournaments, there is no question that hyrule temple is banned. But wobbling has been allowed because some people agree that it is not ban worthy. Anyway argument's over. I don't want you to cry over it again. We'll let wobbling be banned lol. I will not address this issue again nor reply to anything directed to me.
Define reasonable tournament rules. You're saying that jumping around and shooting lasers on a stage is ban worthy but being able to have nearly a guaranteed kill off a grab almost every time is legal? Very sound logic LOL.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Dude he's stressed out.

#1 rule of Ottawa, before "pick a side on wobbling" and even before "get out"

Don't be a ****

Let's stick with what Montreal is comfortable with, 'kay?

Gonna see if I can get Jigger over on Thursday. He's not a Melee player but I've gotten him into Minus.

Top Bottom