• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

arsenic41

Smash Ace
how about we say that both smash suck and the Apples to Apples is the best game created EVAARRRR

joblin

Smash Apprentice
I'll continue my search for awesome games....and games that are just so terrible they're fun to make fun off.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Harold and I have had the whole Melee 2.0 discussion here, and well, he doesn't seem to realize that he is being a hypocrite by mentioning SF3 in regards to tech skill. If anyone is familiar with parrying, then they know that it is not always easy to pull off, which is why the Daigo video is astounding. L-cancelling in quite similar. It is pressing the button at the same time in order to pull off a follow-up action much quicker(yes, I do realize that smash has parrying as well, that is just more tech skill). Also, the whole inability to pull off the s-cancels is really just a john. Games are always about mental skill as well as tech skill, though to a lesser extent. I think I prefer brawl, but seeing the hacks in action makes me really want to try them out.

That being said, I do not believe that the hacked version should replace the regular brawl. As Buenob pointed out, it pretty much is impossible to adopt as MLG and new players would say "wtf is this bs?". However, it would be fun to have melee 2.0 at smashfest, sort of how regular melee is put on one tv during friendlies. At the very least, it should be given a shot. There is no way it is going to be accepted by everyone in the whole smash community, or at least, it is really unlikely, but we could have it as a private game during friendlies for fun.

At least we should give it a shot.

Fogel

Smash Lord
1. The match would almost certainly have to happen at a friendlies Smashfest. We just have to find one were both (plus Ariel, Orlando and my self) can go.

2. Yes, that I misread (or rather I didn't go back and re-read after the stage thing hit me) but that's irrelevant. Being able to change only either your character or level is too limiting since you're still possibly at a disadvantage even though you've just lost a round (especially vs. the higher tier characters).

3. Not true. England is the best stage in fighting game history. Great music + beautiful visuals = best level ever. *ahem* Yes, the level doesn't matter much in Street Fighter (there actually are some differences between them - Brazil is the longest if I recall correctly - but they're too small to matter). However, since the levels don't really matter, that's a variable that doesn't affect advantages, unlike how it works in Smash. My Street Fighter example (err, his Street Fighter example? Doesn't matter...) is just to say that the player that lost changes all of the variables to be in his favor. In SF it's just the character that he's playing, in Smash it's the character + the level, in Arcana it might be the character + the spirit, etc.

4. That's why certain levels are banned. All instances of character-rapage-on-a-level have been quickly ironed out of Brawl through the magic of stage bans. I challenge you to pick a legal stage on which a certain character has too large of an advantage.

Lucas isn't actually all that on Jungle Japes, Azrealt was just terribly inexperienced in that kind of situation.

5. Created in and for Melee. Brawl is different in that stages are less of a pain against your character, particularly when it comes to recovering (the bane of Melee). No character + stage combination is a sure-fire win in Brawl (Metakight + any level notwithstanding... :laugh:).

6. Going with a random stage may work against your character and goes against the point of counterpicking.

True Counterpicking, as I shall call it, seems like it would make Brawl better and I'd really like to be able to test it out in a genuinely competitive environment. Next time I have people over I think I'll see how it goes with it. Challenger/loser picks both character and level, winner cannot change anything (except Zelda/Shiek, Z/Samus, and Pokemon).

This week is looking pretty ****ty for me but Thursday would work again (same time and all that) if you're up for it. Are you coming to the bi-weekly? You ***** me with Snake so I'd like to see how you do against the rest.

Metaknight's greatest strength is in gimping. Taking him to a level where that's harder can only work for you without the opponent being able to change away from Metaknight (Norfair, Brinstar and Pirate Ship come to mind as sort-of-anti-Metaknight levels). The worst legal level for tether people is Frigate Orpheon but that's not that much worse for them, they're vulnerable no matter where they go.

The advantage of true counterpicking is that you're actually trying to actively counter the character that you lost against. Metaknight aside, everybody has counters. If your Luigi is killing me, I'll want to counter you by picking a level with a high ceiling. That you can counter my counter by picking a side-killer character instead defeats the point of counterpicking.
3. I suppose it's subjective whether being able to control two variables instead of just one is more balanced. Its impossible to argue which is 'better' because it's not really fact-based. That said, I'm not super-opposed to 'true counterpicking', but it really sounds like if you learn one character with an advantage on one particular crazy level, that you have a huge advantage.

I think if the player being counterpicked is versatile enough to be able to use other characters on a counterpick stage and win, they should be able to do so. I personally choose my characters based on the situation I'm in, and 'true counterpicking' punishes players like me who try to be more diverse (as opposed to a 'use my main no matter what' kind of player).

4. I accept your challenge. FD for pretty much any character matchup where one can chainthrow the other. If I have to name one character in particular, Ice Climbers vs. anyone. There are no platforms to escape from on FD, so if you get grabbed vs. a good ICs you are pretty much dead for that stock. It also doesn't really matter what character you use in this case (except maybe MK or another ICs).

I don't have much experience with the matchup, but Falco on FD seems pretty bad too. Chain grabs, plus the laser camp to boosted smashes/grabs/etc are all really hard to avoid with no platforms.

5. Again, I argue that this point is subjective. You can't prove that Brawl stages are more balanced in this aspect, and I can't prove that they aren't. My arguments for 4. also apply here; I believe that certain characters on certain stages do have a large advantage.

6. For random stage/only loser can change character counterpicking, the fact that you may end up on a stage which gives your character a disadvange is a big part of it. The point of this kind of counterpick is that you are confident you can beat your opponent's current character with one of your choice. Let's say you just lost to someone playing as character X, where you lost using character Z. You are pretty sure your character Y can beat his X no matter which stage you go to. As long as you force him to stay X, you are confident you can win, hence you have chosen to use this method of counterpicking.

With 'normal' counterpicking, you go to a stage which you believe will put your opponent and/or character at a disadvantage. This works if your opponent has a distinct playstyle, or can only play one type of character. For example, if I'm playing against a camper, I'll pick a small level with little room to run away. Theoretically, I don't care which character they use, since I know they're just going to try to run away and camp either way, and my stage should hamper that strategy since it's small and there isn't much room to run.

In my opinion, for 'normal' counterpicking, the person being counterpicked should be allowed a chance to show that they can handle the situation I've put them in. Let's take the same case with the camper type player. Let's say they've been practicing a close-range fighter type of character, such as Marth or G&W, who would be better suited to that stage. Instead of continuing to camp, they try out their secondary. They will have to change up their playstyle to be more aggressive, or at least more adaptive towards having little space to move around in. Shouldn't they be allowed to try and change up their strategy to react to the situation? I think they should be able to.

buenob

Smash Lord
wtf is it with everyone playing apples to apples these days... if you don't bring it next time i'm at a smashfest, I will murder a kitten!

joblin

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQwUxGCcmQ

Lol to Snake because I hate you.
Lol to Snake because you died.
Lol to Wolf because you died.
Lol to Wolf because you comboed a still COM.
Lol to Wolf because that will never happen in a real game.

Final tally,
Wolf wins because I hate you Snake.

Ben: Because I brought it and I bring awesomeness to the fest. I will bring it next Smashfest I'm attending.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
My explanation is that Old Manondorfs awesome meter was over nine thousand, and he directed all his awesome aura to the MK thus decreasing his skill by 99%

arsenic41

Smash Ace
The Klaptraps should make you get spiked into a pool of water, even if the stage doesn't have a pool of water.

Divine_Haze

Smash Journeyman
Well, what they do is:

1: They have MORE priority than nanners.
2: They bite, and hold your opponent there for a free attack of your choice.
3: They can double as nanners, but only if they are not facing the enemy. If there back is to you, they cannot see you, and thus you only trip on them.
4: If close to water, they will become part of the level, and can instantly kill any enemy character, and will not hit you under any circumstances. They remain loyal to you, even when they are STARVING!

buenob

Smash Lord
lets hack the game so that certain characters can spawn items!! that's a totally balanced technique

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Ganon's dTaunt represents Sakurai's thoughts on the fanbase.

"Hm, they want a sword....nah, too much work. Keep him cloney."
I disagree completely. The Brawl team actually seemed to have taken in a lot of feedback from fans of Melee and constructed Brawl based on that. Easier time grabbing the ledge? More air battles, slower speed, more items, more characters, less clones, etc.

Remember, from the Melee fanbase, not the "competitive" Melee fans. You know, the OTHER 98% that plays Smash. ;)

joblin

Smash Apprentice
For once I completely agree with you Harold but the one thing I didn't want in next installment was the whole air battle thing.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Okay! This is just a clarification post.

For those coming over to my house this Thursday for some practice before the bi-weekly, I'll be at home from 3pm onwards, so feel free to drop by anytime after that. People can stay until 11pm.

As of right now, I have Randy, Jan, Harold, and possibly Orlando. I can't fit any more than that in my small-ish room. If Orlando can't make it then I could have one more.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
I can be there after around 5-6. Ill just need your address (PM if you want) and the location of the nearest shawarma place :).

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Alright because the other Sunday was a no go for squash I want to start the list asap for this Sunday. Who is a go for Squash this Sunday? The 28 is also my b-day so if you want to win at squash you can always bribe me with a gift, lol, and then I MIGHT let you win. We'll see how good the bribe is...

Current Squashers:
Joblin

flash7

Smash Journeyman
Im pretty much ready to go every sunday, however it would be better if mike and atleast one more person shows up. Harold: Send me Mike's email.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Very cool. So far we have...

Current Squashers:
Joblin
Orlando
Randy

So if we can get Harold or Mike that would be great. Anyone else care to join?

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Fun times at my place! Thanks to everyone who came over! It was a bit cramped, and a bit warm, but the awesomeness made up for it all.

Mortal Kombat is alright, I'm still not convinced it's deep, or more importantly fun (maybe once I actually learn more) good for messing around with anyway.

Can't wait for Bi-weekly tommorrow :D

Top Bottom