• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

jan

Smash Cadet
SFIV's big tagline is that it's trying to make Street Fighter accessible again, but the whole idea of 3 button ultras, the complicated motion for focus attack cancelling attacks, and the ridiculously small frame windows to link attacks together doesn't adhere to that.
That's the thing that Sirlin doesn't get, though. No newcomer even knows was a link combo is, much less any form of cancelling! Reversals? Cross ups? Mind games? It's all jargon to anyone but the hardcore.

From my own experience with the game, it's easier to actually pull off the moves, and the ultras at least let me take a round or two from players who are better than I am.

My biggest issue with Sirlin's posts is that he's shooting down a brand new game that started from scratch. I mean, how many years and how many re-releases of SF2 did it take to reach Super Turbo, which STILL needed revisions in HD Remix over a decade later? The home and arcade versions of SF4 are online enabled, and I believe that they fully intend to release patches. I'd rather see the "rock star" of the fighting game community, the overseer of one of the top selling Xbox Live Arcade games, approach Capcom in a constructive and professional manner to suggest changes to the game than cry about it on his personal web site.

Fogel

Smash Lord
i was not at cams, so I did not get anything from him... I have 7 tv's on me, spent all night getting them too.. if the 3-4 tv's from cams can make it, that would be super awesome, but I can understand if transporting them will be an issue
I'll bring 2 or 3 of those TVs. I'm definitely not going to bring the big one because it's too heavy for me to carry on my own :(

Always so negative jan! Oh well. I agree with you. It's because it's not sf2. It's sort of like how Gimpyfish didn't like brawl and went back to melee.

Anyways, another random video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiCcOJ7gfyo

Sakurai in a tournament. He seems to be hardcore sandbagging. Also, the girl sucks. The comments made me lol:

omgomgomgd (1 minute ago)
**** off, scrub.

BUFFALODUDE44 (1 hour ago)
Nice video. That would be pretty exciting, I guess. :p However, that was the most disgusting brawling that I've ever seen in my life other than watching the Ice Climbers doing a chain-grab technique. I literally gagged at the site of the girl spamming PK Fire. Sorry, I had to throw that out there.
You all missed the most important part; Sakurai plays MANONDORF! It's a sign that Ottawa's way of the Manondorf is correct.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
As an avid Street Fighter Alpha series/SF-EX+/Capcom vs SNK player here, I have to admit that Sakura using a lot of hard links isn't really anything new for her .
We'll have to wait and see until you play the game.

Linking Close Fierce> Light Tatsu> Crouching Fierce is literally a 1 frame link, so if you can pull that off consistently than you are amazing man :)

That's the thing that Sirlin doesn't get, though. No newcomer even knows was a link combo is, much less any form of cancelling! Reversals? Cross ups? Mind games? It's all jargon to anyone but the hardcore.
True, but just to throw my own 2 cents in, I would've loved to see Sirlin style tutorials put into the game, they would've done more good than the do-this-ridiculously-hard combo-without-any-instruction, thats found in trial mode.

From my own experience with the game, it's easier to actually pull off the moves, and the ultras at least let me take a round or two from players who are better than I am.
Special moves are definitely easier, the input time is more lenient. However linking into special moves is much harder, for instance cr.medium>hadouken is noticeably more difficult than in 3S. There's really no reason to make these cancels less lenient, yet they are.

Ultra's are a great idea, I think Sirlin's biggest issue is why make them a complicated motion such as 3 punches. Generally Sirlin's philosiphy is take away the difficult dexterity related inputs, and bring the game back to mind vs mind, rather than dexterity vs mind.

My biggest issue with Sirlin's posts is that he's shooting down a brand new game that started from scratch. I mean, how many years and how many re-releases of SF2 did it take to reach Super Turbo, which STILL needed revisions in HD Remix over a decade later? The home and arcade versions of SF4 are online enabled, and I believe that they fully intend to release patches. I'd rather see the "rock star" of the fighting game community, the overseer of one of the top selling Xbox Live Arcade games, approach Capcom in a constructive and professional manner to suggest changes to the game than cry about it on his personal web site.
Definitely agree with you that Sirlin could be more professional and mature.

I also agree that SFIV is probably the best 'first version' of a Capcom fighter ever. Apparently the're not gonna release patches, instead there will be the tried and true SFIV: Championship edition or what have you.

I just woke up guys, and I gotta go find my 2nd monologue, so I think I am out for OBscene, I wish you all luck though! you rock Ben!

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Special moves are definitely easier, the input time is more lenient. However linking into special moves is much harder, for instance cr.medium>hadouken is noticeably more difficult than in 3S. There's really no reason to make these cancels less lenient, yet they are.
I find that I cancel a lot by accident. It actually frustrates me since cancelling leaves me wide open(I play Zangief).

I decided that my random video should be related to what you're saying so:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf5Vr0RBk6s

The 2nd last combo wasn't even in the trials >_>

ANYWAYS

OBscene was awesome. Thanks for hosting it even though you were sick Ben. It was great. Although, I am a little disappointed in how I got eliminated from the brackets(I'm so stupid), winning my only money match was sweet. This tourney marks the return of g&w.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
I wish we weren't set up to fight against another Ottawa team in losers. There were some teams that we could have beat for sure that we didn't get a chance to play.

Ariel: Try your hardest to make it out to every Smashfest/Biweekly you possibly can. We need to work on our team and place in the top 3. If not I'll have to find a more active partner ;p

buenob

Smash Lord
I really am sorry, I definitely seeded the teams brackets so that regions were apart from eachother, but with just the number of ottawa players, and then it being double elimination, it was bound to happen... unfortunately the way things turned out exactly it was basically the worst case scenario

anyways, thank you all for helping out :) it couldn't have happened without you guys, and next time I think we need a solid team of people making this work... there's no way one person can do it "properly" and also play in the tourney

Fogel

Smash Lord
I really am sorry, I definitely seeded the teams brackets so that regions were apart from eachother, but with just the number of ottawa players, and then it being double elimination, it was bound to happen... unfortunately the way things turned out exactly it was basically the worst case scenario

anyways, thank you all for helping out :) it couldn't have happened without you guys, and next time I think we need a solid team of people making this work... there's no way one person can do it "properly" and also play in the tourney
I can try and take a more active role next time. What aspects gave you trouble, if I may ask? I do agree that it can be a bit much for just one person (you might understand now why I was not rushing to do ToS6 :p).

edit: Also, sorry for leaving kinda early and not helping with cleanup. I had to work at 8am the next day :(

joblin

Smash Apprentice

Dude, I wasn't blaming you at all. I know it's extremely difficult to organize a tourney perfectly fairly and that there were a lot of Ottawa teams. It was the luck of the draw and we just didn't get it this time. You did well Ben.

arsenic41

Smash Ace

Despite what I might have sounded like during our match, I am not blaming you at all. I was just venting on how things turned out, there was nothing you could have done about that.

buenob

Smash Lord
infzy - i forget where you posted it but I definitely have your green extension cord.. and I threw out the tape case... and as for HD wii cables? I dunno i have an extra set of those if you want I can just give you mine if it turns out yours is just lost

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Originally Posted by netDockets:
Midway Games Inc. and its affiliates filed a motion on February 23, 2009 seeking court authority to implement a key employee incentive plan covering up to 29 employees. Midway Games filed for bankruptcy protection on February 12, 2009 (more details are available here).

The motion describes the group of 29 eligible employees as “officers, management-level employees and other non-insider key employees.” The proposed plan ties bonus payments to three designated milestones. If all milestones are met, the total bonus pool available for distribution would be $3,755,000. For each milestone payment, each employee eligible to participate in the plan would receive a set percentage of the bonus amount designated for that milestone. The three milestones and the bonus amounts for each milestone are:

1. Milestone: Entry into a publishing/distribution agreement for Midway’s new “Wheelman” game (apparently already accomplished), performance by Midway entitling it to gross proceeds of $6 million under the agreement by March 1, 2009, and actual receipt of those proceeds. Bonus Amount: $497,500.
2. Milestone: Either (i) execution of an asset purchase agreement for the sale of Midway’s Mortal Kombat franchise assets or (ii) submission by Midway of a plan of reorganization to continue as a going concern. Bonus Amount: $1,292,500.
3. Milestone: The earlier to occur of (i) confirmation of a plan of reorganization or liquidation or (ii) closing of a sale of Midway’s Mortal Kombat franchise assets. Bonus Amount: $1,965,000.
TLDR: Midway is officially selling off the Mortal Kombat franchise...

BUY IT CAPCOM!! GIVE HAROLD AN ACTUAL COMPETITIVE GAME! :)

Congrats on the tourney Ben, sounds like it went really well! GoGo respect for Ottawa Smash.

RANDY YOU SHOULD'VE PLACED BETTER WTH MAN!!?! :p:)

infomon

Smash Scientist
infzy - i forget where you posted it but I definitely have your green extension cord.. and I threw out the tape case... and as for HD wii cables? I dunno i have an extra set of those if you want I can just give you mine if it turns out yours is just lost
extension cord: awesome
tape case: lol that's fine
wii cables: it's not the HD ones I lost, it's the normal ones. Did I say component? I meant composite lol. I'll see if SoM took them or whut.

buenob

Smash Lord
oh, those I definitely have extras for, so don't worry if they're gone either

infomon

Smash Scientist
have extras? like from the tourney, or just in general?? lol

If I could borrow or buy a pair of you that'd be cool. It'll help me get replays up.

I'll be uploading a whole ton of tourney vids tonight, that I'd taped with the camera.

PND

Smash Champion
TLDR: Midway is officially selling off the Mortal Kombat franchise...

BUY IT CAPCOM!! GIVE HAROLD AN ACTUAL COMPETITIVE GAME! :)

Congrats on the tourney Ben, sounds like it went really well! GoGo respect for Ottawa Smash.

RANDY YOU SHOULD'VE PLACED BETTER WTH MAN!!?! :p:)
I've heard rumors that Capcom has expressed a tiny bit of interest. . .

which makes me think OMG, Street Fighter vs MK? How siiiick would that be.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
My biggest issue with Sirlin's posts is that he's shooting down a brand new game that started from scratch.
There's nothing new about Street Fighter IV. Seriously. Not a **** thing (focus attacks are just a simplified fusion of various other mechanics). He's not shooting down the game so much as pointing out some of the things that, at this point, should have been changed. While I disagree with his views on the two-button throws I totally agree with just about every else he wrote. The inputs are bull**** and a half. While on one hand they did make inputting certain motions easier, they also made doing quite a few other stuff much harder. It's like they had both Brawl and Melee employees working on it at the same time. :)

1. I would've loved to see Sirlin style tutorials put into the game, they would've done more good than the do-this-ridiculously-hard combo-without-any-instruction, thats found in trial mode.

2. Generally Sirlin's philosiphy is take away the difficult dexterity related inputs, and bring the game back to mind vs mind, rather than dexterity vs mind.
1. Yeah! His Brawl videos are the best example of teaching 'advanced' concepts to a beginner that I've yet to see.

2. I share his philosophy. That's why I prefer Brawl over Melee.

Dude, I wasn't blaming you at all.
Despite what I might have sounded like during our match, I am not blaming you at all.
I didn't really bother to read what they were referring to but I, however, will not relent! Ben, THIS IS ALL YOUR FAULT!!! :mad:

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Um... my IQ just dropped 20 points... Zombies? Cyborgs? Everyone is going to be Mutants? What apocalypse are we going to have here? SciFi? Here let me put more question marks ????????? Holy crap this is ********, but I'm freakin ready for an apocalyptic pika fire or bento spike.

If you play the video backwards you can hear the words "Allah is the light".

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Hey, so, whatever happened to Mich-something and something-something? They never showed up again, right? Not even at OBscene. Also, I'm starting to believe that this IkeMaster guy is actually just some large-scale delusion. He doesn't actually exist.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
But he's not self replicating.

EDIT: Might as well use this useless post for something instead of making a new one.

So, after everyone lost respect for Sirlin because of his whiny post, I was wondering who would be next. Personally, I felt lost. I may not have read the actual post, but I trust the opinion of random people. Well, fear not! There is now a thread that can fill the niche left by Sirlin in our hearts. I present you:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176650

Fogel

Smash Lord
Hey, so, whatever happened to Mich-something and something-something? They never showed up again, right? Not even at OBscene. Also, I'm starting to believe that this IkeMaster guy is actually just some large-scale delusion. He doesn't actually exist.
Did IkeMaster not show up that Saturday at your place?

Dice

Smash Lord
Dice4000 on xbox live. Add me if you want to get beat by blanka/gouken (I'm still **** until I get a stick and stop playing on the crappy 360 pad)

joblin

Smash Apprentice
So, after everyone lost respect for Sirlin because of his whiny post, I was wondering who would be next. Personally, I felt lost. I may not have read the actual post, but I trust the opinion of random people. Well, fear not! There is now a thread that can fill the niche left by Sirlin in our hearts. I present you:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=176650
You're crazy! Who is going to read all of that?!?! Have a question, I have an answer. Simple.

buenob

Smash Lord
already read that a while ago :)... ps when are cars from ottawa leaving // who all is going to ffyf? we need to start organizing now

Fogel

Smash Lord
when are the cars from ottawa planning on going to montreal for FFYF2?
I was planning on leaving Saturday morning. Montreal isn't that far; I don't see the need to head over Friday night.

People who I think want to go to FFYF2:

Me
Ben
Andrew
Derek
Randy
Ariel
Harold
Moses
Mike (Infzy)

I can only take 3 other people since Joel needs a lift to the venue. We need another car, otherwise a lot of people are going to have to bus. My car will stay at Joel's Saturday night, but he told me he would house a second Ottawa car as well if one heads down.

infomon

Smash Scientist
It looks very much like I will not be able to make it to FFYF2 :(

I was hoping to take a car down, but that's very unlikely at this point. srry!

PND

Smash Champion
I'm trying to get a ride up. To my crew, and all those legal drinking age: Winnies? (Hellz yeah Winnies.)

Maybe there WON'T be cougars this time. Or maybe the ones that are there will be way hotter than last time.

Top Bottom