• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locke)

Smash Ace
Alright Alright I'll go to that freakin kid's house and get that freakin game back so we can have a freakin tournament.

PS Real question is Melee or Brawl? My heart says Brawl but my brain knows melee will draw the bigger crowd.

Mikey when are we gonna get together and do jagerbombs til we can't feel feelings anymore?

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
Teleportation isn't possible... >_>

Any kindergarten kid with a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and calculus knows that... Sheesh guys.

Don't make me divide by zero! I'm warning you! I'll do it!
I don't mean to get into philosophical debates but your statement is wrong. It should say: Teleportation isn't possible with our current knowledge of the way things work.

Locke)

Smash Ace
I don't mean to get into philosophical debates but your statement is wrong. It should say: Teleportation isn't possible with our current knowledge of the way things work.
From what I know teleportation is 99.99991 % impossible. But we put a man on the moon when that seemed unlikely dern gummit. And if anyone can do it the **** can!

Locke)

Smash Ace
Start posting opinions fools! Would you want a melee or brawl tournament for ToS5? Of course both will be there, but which one's gonna be the main event? I don't mind whipping you guys around with Doc or Dedede, choose your fate!

Rimi

Smash Apprentice
Why the hell would you go for Melee, learn a new game already, going to a melee tourny is about one sided as playing Shaq in chess.

Dice

Smash Lord
I'm up for melee or brawl, whichever one gets picked is whichever I'll play. And Brian, I think brawl would get the bigger tournout because all these yummy noobs like playing brawl.

mouse7245

Smash Apprentice
sry I couldn't make smashfest tonight guys... I'm swamped with studying for exams and then I'm heading home for the summer. Hopefully I'll get to play with some of you next year. Thx for the good games this year tho... I definately learned alot

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
sry I couldn't make smashfest tonight guys... I'm swamped with studying for exams and then I'm heading home for the summer. Hopefully I'll get to play with some of you next year. Thx for the good games this year tho... I definately learned alot
it's been GGs Phil, i'm sorry you have to go...Hopefully we'll get some games in the future =). Have a good summer and don't forget how to ganon stomp;) haha later Phil=(!

As for the melee vs brawl debate, i'd go for melee but i'm just not interested in brawl to the point where i'd bother investing money in it. So my vote is with melee.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Good games indeed. My Roy didn't get to square off against your Ganondorf enough before Brawl came out. Are you coming back in the fall?

Oh, and for the tournamant game preference thingy, personally, I prefer the air.

EDIT: Brawl.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Just so it's clear, I'm not going to lift a finger as far as organizing anything until I get Lunar 2 back.

To be honest, I'm kind of tired of running tournaments. ToS4 I only really decided to run because it was almost the end of Melee, and there were a lot of newer people at the time to Melee (ie: SCRAers, Mason, Phil, a couple of others) who didn't really have many chances to play at tournaments. I figured I should at least give them a shot to try out what they'd been learning for the past year. Also, personally I didn't find ToS1-3 too much of a hassle to run, so I organized ToS4. ToS4 happened, and it went fine as far as tourneys go.

However, as an organizer, I was very frustrated with ToS4 due to a couple of things. I should have said what I'm about to say in the results thread, but I didn't because I was seriously considering quitting the scene soon anyway, so I wanted to leave it on a high note. However, I'm still around, and since there may be another ToS I'm going to say this stuff now.

The biggest problem I had was the ridiculous amounts of complaining about pools. Before, during, and after the tourney people complained like crazy. Some people had rational comments which I did take into account, but there seemed to be a lot more useless whining. It was much, much worse than at previous tourneys, and I admit it bothered me because I felt like I put a lot of effort into making pools balanced. I know it wasn't really Ottawa doing the complaining, but this still annoyed me the most.

Another big problem was garbage and general cleanup. There was about half a big garbage can's worth of trash just laying around the room, including a disturbing amount of half-eaten food. I don't know why, but there was a lot more to clean up than any other time prior to this.

Also, a lot of people just stood around talking at the end instead of helping to put things away. At previous ToSes, I remember only having to spend a few minutes at the end of the tourney to put away tables and chairs, and only having to clean up a bit of garbage, because people were actually helping out. At ToS4, there only seemed to be 2 or 3 people actually helping move stuff back, and I remember cleaning up/moving things for almost an hour after everything was done.

I've heard similar complaints from other organizers, so I don't think I'm the only one who feels this way. In my opinion, people are starting to take tourneys for granted, and they forget that the organizers are just people from the community who are doing a favour for the community.

If ToS5 happens (meaning, I get Lunar 2 back), it will be a Brawl-only tourney with singles and doubles. I think most active smashers are interested mainly in Brawl, and I doubt that a Melee tournament in Ottawa would get very many people. If ToS5 has the same amount of problems as ToS4, it will be the last one I run. If you want to see more tourneys from me, please help out with the little things I mentioned above as you can.

As for why I'm choosing Brawl over Melee, we need Brawl tourneys to develop the scene (ie: figuring out playstyles, good characters, advanced techniques, etc). We can't really judge Brawl as a competitive game until we've played in tournaments for it. For those who are still not sure whether they prefer competitive Melee or Brawl, this could be a good opportunity to figure out which game is more fun/interesting/whatever to them.

Good games Phil, you're a cool guy to hang out with! Hope to play you next school year!

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I know this may sound like an absurd idea, but I think Melee would draw a bigger OOP (Out-of-province, because we're Canadian :p) audience than a Brawl tournament, but a Brawl tournament would attract a bigger home crowd. I don't think people are quite ready to travel to a Brawl tournament quite yet.

That being said, this is a big fat assumption and I usually suck at assuming stuff. If it was a Brawl tournament, I would do my best to assemble a crew of people from Montreal to bang that **** up and show that we're still better at Smash than the rest of Canada. If it was a Melee tournament, it's safe to say that I personally would not come.

TestRider

Smash Ace
Why the hell would you go for Melee, learn a new game already, going to a melee tourny is about one sided as playing Shaq in chess.
Seriously, the results have been the same for the past year or so. I think I've taken 5th in singles for 5 or 6 tournaments in a row now, kind of getting repetitive.

Dice

Smash Lord
Cam - Sucks to hear that about last tourny, I know a lot of complaints were being made about pools and we all know it was toronto, they like to whine and ***** about everything, everyone else thought they were fine. And for the cleaning up, thats weird how people just didn't for ToS4, I know we (pwn party) didn't stick around and help this time because iirc me and brian had to work at 6 the next morning, but that is no longer so if there is another ToS, we'll be helping out fo sho. And I'll bug brian to bring you that game.

And picking brawl instead of melee is a good choice, nothing brings hype to a game like a good tournament. And I think montreal would still show up for brawl, even though toronto probably won't, but thats okay cus there is only like 3 cool people from toronto anyways >_>

D

Deleted member

i think i recall voicing an opinion on the pools for tos4 briefly. but i didn't even go to tos4.

seriously, i know how annoying back seat driving or whatever can be, so i apologize.

not to mention i used to host and understand the annoyance of cleaning up after *****es.

toronto *****es too much.

Locke)

Smash Ace
Brawl will draw more noobs which will keep the smash scene alive long after we're all dead and buried and Smash 7 for the nintendo gamepyramid where you play with your brain has become the thing to do if you're not out doing hard drugs and shooting people with your plasma rifles while fighting off the aliens from Independence day and Will Smith isn't around to protect us anymore...right?

Vlad, Willyourunhome the guy that's 7th on the mlg singles ladder goes to Queen's/lives in muskoka, so I've told him about ToS5 and he might try to make an appearance. Him and his *****ass Metaknight and his *****ass tornado and his *****ass up b and his *****ass tornado.

ToS5: Let's figure out how to beat Metaknight's Tornado. That title sound good?

Cam I am personally driving Lunar 2 back to your house monday night. Will you be home?

Jazriel

Smash Ace
I don't want to be early on this, but I think Ness counters Meta Knight ^_^

His fair and dash attack go through MK's tornado, and his PK fire, while being incredibly laggy and circumstantial, makes MK afraid of even thinking of neutral b/forward b when on the ground.

Ness also kills MK at 110% or higher with a back throw. The only time this hasn't work for me was when I was on the left side of FD and I threw him behind me to the right. Seriously, it's hilarious to watch. Grab -> -1 stock, lolz.

I would be interested in a Brawl tourney. If you need any help setting it up or cleaning afterwards, I'm free to help afaik.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
What's ToS#? Obviously it's a tournament or something but where is it? At Cameron's place? I wanted to try my hand at organizing a tournament but by the look of it I doubt I'll ever have the time for it. Therefore, yeah, I'd totally be looking forward to a Brawl tournament so that I can PK Fire everybody! :)

And to the guy who borrowed Lunar 2: dude, it's an unspoken rule that you can't lend out things that aren't yours.

Dice

Smash Lord
umm dude he asked cam if he could borrow it so his friend could play it, so mind your business, don't worry about it and spend your time learning lucas' other moves...

Damax

Smash Lord
I don't want to be early on this, but I think Ness counters Meta Knight ^_^

His fair and dash attack go through MK's tornado, and his PK fire, while being incredibly laggy and circumstantial, makes MK afraid of even thinking of neutral b/forward b when on the ground.

Ness also kills MK at 110% or higher with a back throw. The only time this hasn't work for me was when I was on the left side of FD and I threw him behind me to the right. Seriously, it's hilarious to watch. Grab -> -1 stock, lolz.

I would be interested in a Brawl tourney. If you need any help setting it up or cleaning afterwards, I'm free to help afaik.
NUUUUU here goes my strategy stop talkin!!!!

Fogel

Smash Lord
Thanks for the support people, it means a lot to me.

Somewhat off-topic, the smashfest this week will be on Thursday since a bunch of us will be doing other stuff on Friday.

ToS5: Let's figure out how to beat Metaknight's Tornado. That title sound good?

Cam I am personally driving Lunar 2 back to your house monday night. Will you be home?
I may just make that the title if there's nothing more amusing :)

As for Monday, I know I have to work at least 3 hours overtime (everyone does their taxes at the last minute so we all have crazy shifts now...) so I won't be home until 8PM or later. If you have my cell, give me a call before you drop by, or if you can't make it out that late, Tuesday through Thursday I should be home at normal times.

What's ToS#? Obviously it's a tournament or something but where is it? At Cameron's place? I wanted to try my hand at organizing a tournament but by the look of it I doubt I'll ever have the time for it. Therefore, yeah, I'd totally be looking forward to a Brawl tournament so that I can PK Fire everybody! :)
For ToS5 I would be renting a room, I wouldn't want to try and host a big tourney at my house :)

IvanEva

Smash Ace
1. Just so it's clear, I'm not going to lift a finger as far as organizing anything until I get Lunar 2 back.

2. The biggest problem I had was the ridiculous amounts of complaining about pools. Before, during, and after the tourney people complained like crazy.

3. Another big problem was garbage and general cleanup.

4. In my opinion, people are starting to take tourneys for granted, and they forget that the organizers are just people from the community who are doing a favour for the community.
1. If you don't get it back soon enough I'm going to beat it out of that guy. I really want a Brawl tournament and even then, being that you've been a great Smashfest host, I don't like the thought of some idiot having practically stolen your game (thus far). I know you've been asking for your Lunar 2 back for a very long time now...

2. Since I'm very new to tournaments, could you explain this a bit for me (so that I don't inadvertantly complain and such either)? Why would people complain about who they're facing? Isn't the goal to win the whole thing anyways? Double elimination technically guarantees that the best and second best will come out as such, no?

3. I'll also stick around and help clean up whatever.

4. You know what? This got me thinking about that one little tournament thingy I went to (the one whose host I always speak ill of). I guess I was a jerk for wanting my friend's money back even though it said 'no refunds' on his sign up site. I'm guessing that organizers don't exactly make much profit from it, eh?

umm dude he asked cam if he could borrow it so his friend could play it, so mind your business, don't worry about it and spend your time learning lucas' other moves...
Regardless of why he borrowed it (although yes, my post was uninformed - but still valid) when somebody asks for their stuff back, you return it. Promptly. Not my business? If some ****** is keeping Cameron from hosting a tournament, it's my business.

On a different note, how come you're never at the Smashfests? Let's see how my Lucas fares against your characters.

To Rimi: Hey, you should come to the Smashfests more as well. I learned a lot from playing against you last time. I've been dying to see if I can finally beat you.

Dice

Smash Lord
umm buddy?

1) Mind your own business. Going to beat it out of brian? get the **** out tough guy, as if you seriously said that

2) You calling him a ******? I don't know who you think you are but you need to tone it down a bit

3) I don't come to smashfests because I dont want to waste my time playing scrubs like you. I know I can beat your lucas with any of my chars and I'll put money on that too. Learn the **** game before you talk ****. I remember playing your lucas and beating it every time with diddy kong, funny part is that was the first day I actually played diddy.

4) lmao @ "seeing if I can finally beat rimi"

You are a newcomer to the ottawa scene, don't come here acting like an *******. Brian will return the game, cam will make a tourney and I'll laugh when I watch you come last place :)

EDIT - I just saw this, that little tourney you went to, brian was the one who won it. And it was surprisingly very well organized. Just because even though you cried and didn't get your friends money back doesn't mean it was poorly organized.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Firstly, I agree 100% with Damax here; the Ottawa community is too small to start any infighting. If you've got energy to spare, use it on improving your game to beat the out-of-towners instead of fighting amongst ourselves.

2. Since I'm very new to tournaments, could you explain this a bit for me (so that I don't inadvertantly complain and such either)? Why would people complain about who they're facing? Isn't the goal to win the whole thing anyways? Double elimination technically guarantees that the best and second best will come out as such, no?

3. I'll also stick around and help clean up whatever.

4. You know what? This got me thinking about that one little tournament thingy I went to (the one whose host I always speak ill of). I guess I was a jerk for wanting my friend's money back even though it said 'no refunds' on his sign up site. I'm guessing that organizers don't exactly make much profit from it, eh?

2. How I've run things from ToS2 through 4 was one round of round-robin pools, with a top 16 cutoff to a double elimination bracket to determine the top 16 placings. There have thus far always been 4 pools, so the top 4 in each pool advance to the bracket.

The complaints at ToS4 were primarily about pool balance, specifically player skill distribution. Basically, if there are too many strong players in one pool, it makes it very hard to advance from that pool, and consequently too easy to advance from the others, so it's possible for some people to advance who would normally have been eliminated by someone who already lost in the 'hard' pool.

Anyways, there were some mistakes with how I initially dispersed some Toronto smashers, plus one or two other people who were misplaced. Some people pointed out valid mistakes, but others complained about some of my choices even when there was a logical decision behind them (even after the tournament was already over...). I fixed the mistakes, but got more complaints anyway. I understand that there will always be complainers, but this was too much from too many people.

Some people also had complaints about how I did tiebreakers for pool advancement. I break ties in pool placings by match (best of 3 sets) wins, then game (individual games within a set) wins, then head-to-head matchup, in order of importance. Some people were on the losing end of this, so they complained. Some people think that instead of game wins, I should go by who had the least game losses. Either system works and seems balanced to me; I chose to go with game wins. I'm open to debate on the topic of which system is more fair, but none of the complainers at the time really had any logical justification as to why I should switch my tiebreak criteria. Again, probably just more sore losers.

I do appreciate comments and crticism when there is logical justification behind it; I try to distribute fairly by skill level and location, but I don't always know everyone's relative skill levels, especially in the out-of-town scenes so feedback from people in those scenes is important. The problem is knee-jerk whining with no thought behind it. However, I think this will be less of an issue for now, because Brawl is new so we don't know who the 'good' players are yet, so people can't legitimately complain about being in the 'death pools' for now.

3. Thank you!

4. Well, it depends on the tournament being run, and the organizer in that case. Most tournament hosts in the Smashboards community do not make any profit whatsoever from running the tournament, myself included. The only money I take out of the pot is to cover the room rental costs and insurance, the rest goes back to the top placers as prizes.

For some tournaments the owner may take a cut for themselves, but it's really up to the individual(s) running it. For the tournament you're referring to, I've never talked to the people running it so I can't say what they did with the money. I believe the prize was a Wii, so I imagine they bought the Wii ahead of time and then took the money to reimburse themselves, which is perfectly reasonable. Depending on the number of entrants, they may have made a profit, or they may have even lost money.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
1. Mind your own business.

2. Going to beat it out of brian? get the **** out tough guy, as if you seriously said that. I don't know who you think you are but you need to tone it down a bit

3. I don't come to smashfests because I dont want to waste my time playing scrubs like you.

4. I know I can beat your lucas with any of my chars and I'll put money on that too.

5. don't come here acting like an *******.

6. I just saw this, that little tourney you went to, brian was the one who won it. And it was surprisingly very well organized. Just because even though you cried and didn't get your friends money back doesn't mean it was poorly organized.
1. Hold on, are you the guy who has the game? If not, and since you're not Brian, how is it any more your business? You're clearly a close friend of Brian, so your defending him is understandable, but unless I'm really missing something here (which is certianly a possibility) you're no more involved than I am.

2. Although Cameron and I aren't friends per se, anybody stealing from him is definitely going to piss me off. I've been in several situations like Cameron's before where 'borrowed' ended up being stolen. As for toning it down, well, I'm better at a different kind of brawling (and all for it if you are). Although, I admit that saying I'll beat it out of him (my apologies - to Brian) was a bit much since I'm pretty much in the dark (all I know for sure is that it's Cameron's and he's wanted it back for a while now) and it's just over a game. I doubt I'll be able to convince my buddies to swarm some guy they don't know over a borrowed video game they couldn't give a rat's *** about. Nevertheless, quit defending somebody who should have returned Cameron's stuff when he asked for it.

3. Please do a better job of aiming insults towards me and not the other people who show up.

4. NOW we're talking in happy, Smash-nerd friendly terms. How's $100 sound? Come to the next Smashfest and we'll have ourselves a solid money match. Post/PM me if you're interested and for how much so I know what to bring. Win or lose, this will be very interesting/informative.

5. Wouldn't not returning Cameron's game when he asks for it fall under the ******* category?

6. My gripe with that little tournament was that he asked us to bring the Gamecubes, which we did, but he refused to refund my friend's money (he was sick and couldn't go). While anybody else could have brought them, that it was my group that brought them made me feel like the least he could do is refund my buddy's money. $10 for nothing is a waste.

Again, $100 says I win in a brawl against you (of either kind). Tell me if you're interested as soon as you can.

Firstly, I agree 100% with Damax here; the Ottawa community is too small to start any infighting. If you've got energy to spare, use it on improving your game to beat the out-of-towners instead of fighting amongst ourselves.
Yeah, you're completely right. My apologies. I'll be more civil. I hope that your bad experience with Lunar 2 doesn't end up making you distrust everybody (something I've seen too much of as well). I mean, I haven't played it either... ;)

Dice

Smash Lord
lmao @ ivan. You are quite the piece of work. Please stop acting like a tough guy and implying physical violence on an INTERNET FORUM, that **** just makes you look pathetic. Don't come into this community with that **** attitude, we're all supposed to be cool. My problem with you is that the whole game situation (another lmao @ you getting so upset about a VIDEO GAME that ISN'T YOURS) doesn't even include you. Brian is not trying to "steal" it as me/vlad/brian are all friends with cam and the only thing we would do to him is brake his tables (lol sorry cam :p ). So please don't come strolling on in here and start butting into a convo with a few people who have known each other for... like 2.5 years.

And for the money match, I don't have time right now to make it out to cam's but I'll tell you what. I can play a few matches vs you next time I do come, and then I'll let you decide how much money you want this for. Sound cool?

So basically to sum it up:

1) Don't resort to violence over the internet because of something that doesn't directly affect you at all
2) Don't bring this **** into the Ottawa community, nobody wants it

Cool?
Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom