• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locke)

Smash Ace
Alright well considering I have talked to many other online brawlers and they also can't connect to anyone trying to play, this leads me to believe that online friends is not entirely P2P because some form of middleman is shutting down.

The theory being flung around is that mariokarters are lagging up the system, but that shouldnt affect P2P players right? right??

Ninja Edit: Right. I hope..

Damax

Smash Lord
Alright well considering I have talked to many other online brawlers and they also can't connect to anyone trying to play, this leads me to believe that online friends is not entirely P2P because some form of middleman is shutting down.

The theory being flung around is that mariokarters are lagging up the system, but that shouldnt affect P2P players right? right??

Ninja Edit: Right. I hope..
actually p2p involves a server connecting a user to another. of course it might affect the joinability but not the in game lag or anything since this is p2p

think of the master server just as Bell or whatever you are using for your phone, you don't really connect to them to talk to someone but THEY connect you to that someone.

Also, I doubt nintendo would host that much multiplayer game... I can't even imagine the **** load of server they would need at nintendo....

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Nintendo wouldn't need that many servers. Yeah, they have online, but it's no where near the volume of Xbox Live or even PS3 Online or whatever it's called.

Obviously they have servers, where else would the replays and screenshots be sent to? Though for convenience's sake, it is probably mostly P2P. P2P can still lag, after all, if a million bajillion people are pinging the server to find a person, it's going to lag it.

I wanted to be there tonight and show off my Ness :( Silly friend for not having his other rapier there so I could fence. Next week I'll own you all with his fthrow -> spike and awesome bthrow :p

[Edit] Wait, who's Miniflight?

Damax

Smash Lord
Nintendo wouldn't need that many servers. Yeah, they have online, but it's no where near the volume of Xbox Live or even PS3 Online or whatever it's called.

Obviously they have servers, where else would the replays and screenshots be sent to? Though for convenience's sake, it is probably mostly P2P. P2P can still lag, after all, if a million bajillion people are pinging the server to find a person, it's going to lag it.

I wanted to be there tonight and show off my Ness :( Silly friend for not having his other rapier there so I could fence. Next week I'll own you all with his fthrow -> spike and awesome bthrow :p

[Edit] Wait, who's Miniflight?
I guess I didn't explain well enough. I don't care anyway, happy birthday and enjoy your mind.

§witch

Smash Lord
>_>

I've already told you, PM FOGEL! He lives in Kanata, we have weekly smashfests.

Just do it.
Just do it.
Just do it.
Just do it.
Just do it.
Just do it.
Just do it.
Just do it.
Just do it.
Just do it.
Just do it.

Peer pressure ftw!
I did, I'm not talking specifically about smashfests. And btw, how much is Nike paying you?

Fogel

Smash Lord
If anyone else has a problem with the 31st, speak up now before I get contracts signed. If not I'm going to go through with it anyways (sorry Brian).

Jazriel

Smash Ace
I did, I'm not talking specifically about smashfests. And btw, how much is Nike paying you?
It was a run-on of the joke Ivan made.

Anyways...

Apparently I've been invited to some type of party thing a friend is "throwing" on the 31st, so I'm thinking that might not be a good date for me either.

Fogel

Smash Lord
It's either that or May 24th; there are some dates in mid-June but those conflict with high school exams so they're not doable. If the 24th is better, say so now because that doesn't leave me much time to get things set up.

Rimi

Smash Apprentice
May 24'th sounds like the best date, please say if you cant ASAP so Cam can get contract crap done.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
As far as I know, I'm good for the weekend of the 24th. I'm gone to Val-d'Or on the long weekend and I have that party thing on the 31st. So I'd say 'tis guud.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I've asked to move the date to the 24th. I'll let you guys know what they say to the request, I don't see there being a problem though.

TeamZero

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone, I'm new to Smash Boards and my friend and I want to enter a brawl tournament in Ottawa. I see that you guys are planning to have it on May 24th. Can I still join and if so how can I sign up.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
oh yeah, about this coming smashfest, I think we should do a small tournament among ourselves with a small cash reward, depending on how much people show up. This way, we can get some practice for TOS5.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
I'm down for some cash tournaments, but how much? I don't really want to be spending $5 a week on 'em. 50 cents? Maybe a dollar? I don't want to be a cheapskate but I'm not made of money.

TeamZero, welcome to the Ottawa thread. What's a general location of where you live? Fogel, the man who hosts our weekly smashfests lives in Nepean. The rest of us live all over the place, some in Kanata, some close to Fogel, and I live in the Glebe. You should think about attending our weekly smashfests and/or also hooking up with people in your area for more frequent practice. I know I really need some non-MK practice >_>

Fogel

Smash Lord
Smashfest is on for Friday this time.

As for ToS5, I haven't gotten confirmation that we have the 24th yet. Even if I get it, I'm a little worried that the 24th is too early (less than 3 weeks now to get everything set up) but we'll see what happens. Does anyone think it might be better to push it back to July sometime? I'm starting to think so.

edit: To Harold and anyone else who's considering using Lucas/Ness seriously:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=166765
If this is true (haven't tested it yet), Ness and Lucas just got a lot less viable for tourneys :( I'm sad because I was considering working on Ness to use against MKs.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Have you seen what Yoshi can do? Apparently Yoshi can infinite a few characters (MK included) the same way Marth > Ness/Lucas.

There's a thread about chain grabbing somewhere, apparently Pikachu can Chain Throw Wolf a bit and Fox with his fthrow and his dthrow.

Super Smash Brothers Broken ftw!

arsenic41

Smash Ace
This is why Melee is the better game guys :p, chain grabbing in Melee was SOOOO fair, not like this one where chaingrabbing is just ghey.

Dice

Smash Lord
I actually played this game a bit with brian and vlad tonight and we tried that ness/lucas thing out. Thing is, randomly when people "break" out of grabs, they go upwards and away (in the air), almost like they are jumping out. It seemed to be random but we didn't actually test it because testing is boring. So yeah, from what we've seen it doesn't seem too gamebreaking. But pikachu's downthrow does **** fox from 0-80, it's even easier than melee sheik's CG. Broken ****

TeamZero

Smash Rookie
I'm down for some cash tournaments, but how much? I don't really want to be spending $5 a week on 'em. 50 cents? Maybe a dollar? I don't want to be a cheapskate but I'm not made of money.

TeamZero, welcome to the Ottawa thread. What's a general location of where you live? Fogel, the man who hosts our weekly smashfests lives in Nepean. The rest of us live all over the place, some in Kanata, some close to Fogel, and I live in the Glebe. You should think about attending our weekly smashfests and/or also hooking up with people in your area for more frequent practice. I know I really need some non-MK practice >_>

I live around the South Keys/Hunt Club area. Where will you guys have the Smashfest this week, so I can join you guys. I was just wondering how old you guys are so I can get a feel for the age group since I'm 20 years old. Also, do you guys mind if I bring a few friends of mine who are also interested in joining the tournament.

Rimi

Smash Apprentice
The ness / lucas thing def isnt gamebreaking as the chance to break out upwards is like 20-25% so the most dmg your gonna get out of downthrow is like 20% and thats if your really lucky. Theres more broke $hit in the game. Cam i dont suggest waiting to much later cause i wont be able to make a "later" date and i know that would make everyone sad panda.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
My Lucas will still be my main, but this time with extra please-don't-touch-me PK Fires!

Seriously though, I've yet to be convinced that these infinites render Lucas/Ness as garbage tier as many can be broken out of, at least as far as I've tested (I could also be completely screwing them up - I couldn't even get Marth to re-grab after the fourth one or so). Here's hoping, ironically enough, that at the next Smashfest people will try to use these chain grabs so I can see how effective they are. Orlando doesn't do them (he avoids overly 'cheap' things - he plays very honorably) leaving me pretty inexperienced as to how 'broken' they really are.

On the mini-tournament thing: Hells yeah! We definitely need to get some mini-tournaments down! However, I too am broke and a half now (new computer and stuff) so the most I can do is $5. I guess $1 would be the best amount for now - it'd put on some pressure but not on the wallet. Is everybody alright with that? Heck, even if you don't bring a dollar (I'll bring mine so the 'pot' will be at least a dollar :)) you're still in the tournament, yeah? (Dice, I still want a $100 money match against you but I won't be able to anymore until around August. :()

TeamZero: I'd put the average age there at 19. I'm 22 so I'm one of the older ones there, but for the most part you can consider everybody to be about the same age. PM Fogel for anything Smashfest related. I hope to see you there.

Jaz: Yoshi's "infinite" against Metaknight, at least from what I've read and seen, isn't much since it only lasts until the edge and does poor damage overall, even from one end of Final Destination to the other. Considering Yoshi's eating a downsmash if his grab misses I'd say he'd be better off not trying unless Meta screws up. Actually, what Yoshi should do is suicide every stock because his voice sucks so much. Stupid Yoshi's Story. It messed up Yoshi's cool original voice/roar/whatever it was.

Lastly, Melee is not better than Brawl. The only game that's better than Brawl is Marvel Nemesis for the DS. If anybody's up for a trade, I'm sure I'll find some way in my heart to part with Marvel Nemesis. :laugh: Seriously, ANY DS game will do. It's that ba-GOOD! It's such an amazing game!

TestRider

Smash Ace
Seriously though, I've yet to be convinced that these infinites render Lucas/Ness as garbage tier as many can be broken out of, at least as far as I've tested (I could also be completely screwing them up - I couldn't even get Marth to re-grab after the fourth one or so). Here's hoping, ironically enough, that at the next Smashfest people will try to use these chain grabs so I can see how effective they are.
Haven't tested it myself but from what I've read, several people (including top-notch Melee players) have done extensive testing, including in training mode at the slowest possible speed. Basically you have to keep pounding Lucas or Ness while you're grabbing, and as long as your timing is good, the only way they can break out is with the "backing off" animation, rather than the "jumping out" one. For characters who don't move forward when doing this (there's quite a few of them, and anyway even if there was only one it would simply mean everyone would counterpick that character) this means an infinite lock, often followed by a tilt or smash attack to finish the job. Others can't do it indefinitely, but can take you across the stage and finish it with a smash. Save yourself a world of frustration, switch mains or quit the game. Of course, if you don't plan on playing in tournaments, this shouldn't affect you much/at all.

Orlando doesn't do them (he avoids overly 'cheap' things - he plays very honorably) leaving me pretty inexperienced as to how 'broken' they really are.
Orlando is a scrub, and is keeping you from becoming a better player by not doing everything he can to win. You should punch him in the face next time you see him.

Damax

Smash Lord
Haven't tested it myself but from what I've read, several people (including top-notch Melee players) have done extensive testing, including in training mode at the slowest possible speed. Basically you have to keep pounding Lucas or Ness while you're grabbing, and as long as your timing is good, the only way they can break out is with the "backing off" animation, rather than the "jumping out" one. For characters who don't move forward when doing this (there's quite a few of them, and anyway even if there was only one it would simply mean everyone would counterpick that character) this means an infinite lock, often followed by a tilt or smash attack to finish the job. Others can't do it indefinitely, but can take you across the stage and finish it with a smash. Save yourself a world of frustration, switch mains or quit the game. Of course, if you don't plan on playing in tournaments, this shouldn't affect you much/at all.

Orlando is a scrub, and is keeping you from becoming a better player by not doing everything he can to win. You should punch him in the face next time you see him.
well me and vwin tested this out tonight and yes its an infinit at least for marth. he can even forward smash you afterwards. You have to keep smashing the A button while in the grab to prevent a jump escape from the ness. I tried Diing, smash DIing with ness but nothing would work. Against many different others chars my Ness had the time to do an EXTREMLY TIGHT dodge if I DIed away. Fox is an exemple of those who leave place for a tight dodge (so tight that if you'd try to jab it would get owned by the grabs super armor frame. Fox can Easily up smash you after the grab though. there's alot of problem with grabs in this game, specially since it doesn't give back jump, abused grab attack speed. gimping snakes, ness and lucas.

brawl is getting more and more worst in my mind. with no patch the game's gonna suck as much as melee.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I'm not sure how keen I am on the whole 'tourney at a smashfest' thing. What about people who can't/don't want to pay? Who is going to organize it? How will the money be split up?

If it's going to be done, I think leaving at least one TV open for 'free' friendlies is a must. Specifically, I don't want people who aren't interested in the tournament to have to sit around doing nothing while they wait for the tournament to finish. Another possibility is to have the tourney cost no money, but do serious best of 3 sets with counterpicks, etc (yes, I understand that matches aren't as 'serious' with no money on the line).

As for practicing chain grabs on Lucas and Ness, I'm willing to try them out. I chain grabbed without mercy in Melee, I'm not afraid to do it again in Brawl :)

edit: Still no reply from the church about the 24th, if I don't get one later today or tomorrow, ToS5 will have to be delayed no matter what.

flash7

Smash Journeyman

Uh oh. I feel another money match coming on :p.

If this took skill maybe id do it. But for friendlies it seems pretty pointless, the matches would be pretty boring. Especially if the other player uses ness, I dont think its an infinite with lucas (0-50% or something).

Since there is no counter to this im not really sure what anybody will learn from this being over used, except avoiding grabs. Which in that case its just a matter of poke and run like hell (an even more campy brawl).

I personally dont like the anything to win concept. Im not saying its bad, its just a personal choice. For me its a cop-out, I prefer to win through mind games and such rather than mashing a single button. Besides if it was really anything to win why not just poke the other guy in the eyes ? :p

Fogel: As of right now either date is fine with me.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I'm not sure how keen I am on the whole 'tourney at a smashfest' thing. What about people who can't/don't want to pay? Who is going to organize it? How will the money be split up?
I totally agree with having a TV open for friendlies. I was under the impression that we'd use Brawl's amazing (err, amazing?) tournament mode (if only to hear the background song) which would then leave it to one TV.

The 'pot' is currently at $1 but I might just go out and buy some funny little toy or something as a prize instead. It really doesn't matter. If anybody wants to pitch in some money, go for it, otherwise it'll just be for the $1, which is completely fine with me. Given that the prize will be minute to say the least, I'm guessing that only the single winner will get the prize.

Organizing it would just be a matter of starting it when there's a lot of people there. Again, I'd recommend using Brawl's tournament thing since it keeps things nicely organized visually and for a mini-tournament at a smashfest, where double elimination and all that might be a bit much, tournament mode would keep things really simple.

So, out of curiosity, who's up for this smashfest tournament thingy? So far it seems that the people that are all for it are: myself, Arsenic, and Jaz; I'm sure Orlando would be all for it, and Jan and my brother will be all for it as well.

I personally dont like the anything to win concept. Im not saying its bad, its just a personal choice. For me its a cop-out, I prefer to win through mind games and such rather than mashing a single button. Besides if it was really anything to win why not just poke the other guy in the eyes ? :p
EXACTLY! :)

Damax

Smash Lord
I totally agree with having a TV open for friendlies. I was under the impression that we'd use Brawl's amazing (err, amazing?) tournament mode (if only to hear the background song) which would then leave it to one TV.

The 'pot' is currently at $1 but I might just go out and buy some funny little toy or something as a prize instead. It really doesn't matter. If anybody wants to pitch in some money, go for it, otherwise it'll just be for the $1, which is completely fine with me. Given that the prize will be minute to say the least, I'm guessing that only the single winner will get the prize.

Organizing it would just be a matter of starting it when there's a lot of people there. Again, I'd recommend using Brawl's tournament thing since it keeps things nicely organized visually and for a mini-tournament at a smashfest, where double elimination and all that might be a bit much, tournament mode would keep things really simple.

So, out of curiosity, who's up for this smashfest tournament thingy? So far it seems that the people that are all for it are: myself, Arsenic, and Jaz; I'm sure Orlando would be all for it, and Jan and my brother will be all for it as well.

EXACTLY! :)
brawl tournament mode tournament = failure.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Tournament mode is a shining example of epic faliure. I think having a bi-weekly would be good if someone is willing to do all the orginizing of pools, brackets (depending on how many people are entering), money orginizing and all that jazz. and we also want a fee so that it still motivates people to do their best while not being too expensive. I'm down on having a bi-weekly if we figure all this stuff out first.

EDIT: woops, didn't see Damax's post about faliure.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Still nothing from the church, making a May 24th date for ToS5 pretty much impossible, and May 31st a bit of a stretch. Having something in June is bad, since high schoolers will have exams to worry about. What would people think if this were done on July 5th instead?

Also, some of the new guys need to read Playing to Win. This was a pretty influential article which was passed around a few years ago, around when I started playing. Most of the old school players follow the philosophy here, or if not they are at least aware of it.

Ian/Derek, that site above is the site I was telling you guys about at Dan's birthday...there are a lot of interesting game design related articles on that site.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Huzzah Sirlin! He's my hero, because there are very few, minute, flaws with his articles. Nothing you people will pick up (of course :p), but they're there.

I.Q. gloating aside... (Sorry, I had to)

Sirlin's articles are quite interesting to say the least. The game development ones are also quite good.

Bi-weeklies might be more feasible than weekly tourneys. I'm easy-going on how the whole setup will work, I just want some more formal competition, where I have a chance to play everyone (I wanna play Derek and Fogel more :( ).

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Yes, Brawl's tournament mode is... limiting... but apart from the lack of double elimination, what's so bad about it? I mean, come on, it's got a cool little tune when you win!

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Still nothing from the church, making a May 24th date for ToS5 pretty much impossible, and May 31st a bit of a stretch. Having something in June is bad, since high schoolers will have exams to worry about. What would people think if this were done on July 5th instead?

Also, some of the new guys need to read Playing to Win. This was a pretty influential article which was passed around a few years ago, around when I started playing. Most of the old school players follow the philosophy here, or if not they are at least aware of it.

Ian/Derek, that site above is the site I was telling you guys about at Dan's birthday...there are a lot of interesting game design related articles on that site.
J'suis correcte avec cette date, pis ca va me laisser le temps d'acheter le jeu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom