• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogel

Smash Lord
More people need to actually tell me whether July 5th is good or not. At least I know Wak likes it :)

Huzzah Sirlin! He's my hero, because there are very few, minute, flaws with his articles. Nothing you people will pick up (of course :p), but they're there.

I.Q. gloating aside... (Sorry, I had to)

Sirlin's articles are quite interesting to say the least. The game development ones are also quite good.

Bi-weeklies might be more feasible than weekly tourneys. I'm easy-going on how the whole setup will work, I just want some more formal competition, where I have a chance to play everyone (I wanna play Derek and Fogel more :( ).
I'm interested in these flaws you speak of. Are you talking about grammatical or spelling errors, or something else?

Also, if you want more games against me, just ask :p

IvanEva

Smash Ace
July 5th sounds fine with me.

You fail.

10 chars
Seriously, be more specific. What kind of suckiness am I not seeing in the Brawl tournament mode? I already mentioned how awesome the winning jingle thingy is.

Also, what does 10 chars mean? I keep seeing that all over the boards. Message board speak can be confusing...

flash7

Smash Journeyman
10 chars is used as filler for message boards that have a ten character minimum for a post.

urbandictionary.com for all your internet definition needs.

Fogel: 5th is good with me as well

Fogel

Smash Lord
I've asked for a date change to July 5th, I will keep you all updated as I get more info. Also, smashfest is on for later today for those who didn't know :)

TestRider

Smash Ace
Seriously, be more specific. What kind of suckiness am I not seeing in the Brawl tournament mode? I already mentioned how awesome the winning jingle thingy is.

Also, what does 10 chars mean? I keep seeing that all over the boards. Message board speak can be confusing...
....Do you really fail to see what's wrong with the lack of double elimination, or at least best of 3 matches?

IvanEva

Smash Ace
....Do you really fail to see what's wrong with the lack of double elimination, or at least best of 3 matches?
For a small mini-tournament at a Smashfest? Absolutely. Especially the best of 3 matches part. How long and boring would that be if you had to wait for that long to get to play again. Remember, I'm talking about a small "tournament" at the Smashfest. I agree with Arsenic when he said that rotation was pretty boring since you had to wait a long time sometimes. A tournament would cause that as well (remember that there's only two or three Wiis/TVs there) so you'd want something simple and basic to minimize the wait for everybody.

Regardless though, I doubt we'll be doing it by the looks of it, which isn't terrible but I'd still like to have one.

By the way guys, Ness is still in a coma from being ***** brutally by Marth's grabs. I'm glad it doesn't work that way with Lucas. Can anybody 'infinite' Lucas? I need to find a way to always jump out of it (and kick away Marth's sword :)).

WarranThad

Smash Ace
For a small mini-tournament at a Smashfest? Absolutely. Especially the best of 3 matches part. How long and boring would that be if you had to wait for that long to get to play again. Remember, I'm talking about a small "tournament" at the Smashfest. I agree with Arsenic when he said that rotation was pretty boring since you had to wait a long time sometimes. A tournament would cause that as well (remember that there's only two or three Wiis/TVs there) so you'd want something simple and basic to minimize the wait for everybody.
From my experience, it's usually easier and a lot faster to set a tournament up yourself. The problem with the tournament mode settings, other than what has already been mentioned, is that you cannot change your character, no real counterpicks with stages...and you're limited to 1 TV. With multiple setups, you actually 'minimize the wait for everybody' a lot more effectively than by using Brawl tournament modes.

EDIT: -ThatGuy

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Wow, Snake is too much fun to play, he's my new main, and Im loving the tricks with grenades and c4.

I soundly beat a guy named 'Rush' from Montreal, about 10 matches out of 12 online, he used to whoop me a month ago.

I've been training hard for the tourney, and Im gonna try to come to the Smashfest this week, I really need some hard practice with Snake.

Btw, anyone who would like to, add me on MSN- ouknow88@hotmail.com

Then we can setup some online matches, its better than nothing right? :p

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Sorry I couldn't show up, having a 3:30 wakeup time for my Montreal regatta on Saturday sucks.

Suo! If you were there yesterday (or is it 2 days ago since it's 12:17 as I write this?) I wish I could've been there. I haven't been playing much, it'd be interesting to see how we fare against each other now.

Fogel: If you're interested, I might read over what he's said again and pull out a few things. Not typos and grammar mistakes, just subtle logical implications of what he's saying that don't add up 100% and the like.

For example, it shouldn't be called "Playing to Win", it should be called "Playing to be successful" (or "Play to Succeed"). If you can understand the difference, but if it is worded my way, he wouldn't need to add an article explaining why sometimes you need to "Play to Lose" in order to (in the long run) "Play to Win".

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Suo! If you were there yesterday (or is it 2 days ago since it's 12:17 as I write this?) I wish I could've been there. I haven't been playing much, it'd be interesting to see how we fare against each other now.
I didn't make it this week, as in May.9th, but I'm really gonna do my best to make it to May.16th Smashfest, as long as Fogel's having it.

Yea, I'd love to play you, it's been soo long, I wasn't playing much but talk of a tourney renewed my interest a lot. I need to get to the next level of competition, and I can't really see any other way than getting my *** out to Nepean to play the really skilled guys, haha :D

Fogel

Smash Lord
The smashfest is on for this Friday as usual.

Off topic, did any starcraft fans aside from Ian and I watch the TSL games yesterday on the live stream? Pretty fun stuff :)

Fogel: If you're interested, I might read over what he's said again and pull out a few things. Not typos and grammar mistakes, just subtle logical implications of what he's saying that don't add up 100% and the like.

For example, it shouldn't be called "Playing to Win", it should be called "Playing to be successful" (or "Play to Succeed"). If you can understand the difference, but if it is worded my way, he wouldn't need to add an article explaining why sometimes you need to "Play to Lose" in order to (in the long run) "Play to Win".
Yeah, I am interested. As for the article title, maybe it should be Play to Win (in the long run)? :p

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Off topic, did any starcraft fans aside from Ian and I watch the TSL games yesterday on the live stream? Pretty fun stuff :)
Can you post a link? It's been ages since I've seen a Starcraft match. With a new computer I'll be able to play against my brother again so I'm interested in seeing what other players can do nowadays.

By the way Cameron, turns out that I didn't forget my controller at the Smashfest, turns out I forgot it at home and brought my brother's instead. That's why I couldn't find mine. :laugh:

Jazriel

Smash Ace
IvanEva: www.TeamLiquid.net for all your foreign (Read: non-Korean) StarCraft. They were recently sponsored by Razer for the TSL, and were streaming some stuff live this afternoon. Mondragon got owned :(

If you want to play some games, Cbone, Fogel, and I play StarCraft. None of us are really amazing or anything, I just got owned by a toss who made a bajillion cannons at all of his expos and sat back making carriers >_>

Suo... My inability to remember dates for May made me forget I'll most likely be gone for the weekend to my cottage... :(

If I'm not there this Smashfest (the 16th), then we'll have to figure out some times that we can play online or something.

Fogel: Lol, watch me go over it and be unable to find some of the stuff I'm talking about. >_> I do that sometimes, learn about something, figure out why it's wrong, go back to it later, and think it's completely correct. But I'll look over some of it and stuff. Just for the record though, iirc most of it belongs to the realm of Objectivism, and how what he's saying is almost there, but not quite.

Objectivism being the philosophy that Richard Rahl follows directly/indirectly. (C'mon, there has to be more people who pick up on this other than Fogel and I ^_^)

flash7

Smash Journeyman
In that case it should be called play to improve.

Suo:
Do come out, its always good to play new people, especially offline since it sucks. Try to bring a wii if you can.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
Yea I'll definitely bring my Wii.

Played another guy from Montreal yesterday online, 'Yann' won about 75% of what must've been more than 30 matches. Must test skills at Smashfest!

Remember guys add me on MSN @ Ouknow88@hotmail.com if you're interested in playing online a bit, just for practice.

Dam Jaz, well hopefully you'll be there. If I can just get to my first Fest, learn the route on bus, I'm sure I'll start showing up regularly, if not maybe we can play online/ at one of our houses.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I don't know if any of you guys were watching TSL yesterday, but Dreiven vs. Mondragon was soooo epic! The Sunday matches were way more entertaining than Saturday's in general IMO.

Can you post a link? It's been ages since I've seen a Starcraft match. With a new computer I'll be able to play against my brother again so I'm interested in seeing what other players can do nowadays.

By the way Cameron, turns out that I didn't forget my controller at the Smashfest, turns out I forgot it at home and brought my brother's instead. That's why I couldn't find mine. :laugh:
The matches were being streamed live this weekend, but they're done now. There will be more this weekend sometime though. If you're really curious, you can download 500MB of torrent :p

Updates are here: http://www.teamliquid.net/

Fogel: Lol, watch me go over it and be unable to find some of the stuff I'm talking about. >_> I do that sometimes, learn about something, figure out why it's wrong, go back to it later, and think it's completely correct. But I'll look over some of it and stuff. Just for the record though, iirc most of it belongs to the realm of Objectivism, and how what he's saying is almost there, but not quite.

Objectivism being the philosophy that Richard Rahl follows directly/indirectly. (C'mon, there has to be more people who pick up on this other than Fogel and I ^_^)
I get the reference, but I've never studied philosophy formally so I don't know what Objectivism is/means :(

Yea I'll definitely bring my Wii.

Played another guy from Montreal yesterday online, 'Yann' won about 75% of what must've been more than 30 matches. Must test skills at Smashfest!

Remember guys add me on MSN @ Ouknow88@hotmail.com if you're interested in playing online a bit, just for practice.

Dam Jaz, well hopefully you'll be there. If I can just get to my first Fest, learn the route on bus, I'm sure I'll start showing up regularly, if not maybe we can play online/ at one of our houses.
I don't know where you're coming from, but if you live near Jazriel then he can probably give good directions. Or, use OC transpo's Travel Planner, it's very good. Generally, just get on the 118 from whereever you are and you're good.

Also, did I ever give you my address? I can't remember.

Suo

Smash Apprentice
I don't know where you're coming from, but if you live near Jazriel then he can probably give good directions. Or, use OC transpo's Travel Planner, it's very good. Generally, just get on the 118 from whereever you are and you're good.

Also, did I ever give you my address? I can't remember.

Yup, you gave me your address already. Yea I'll be sure to check out travel planner, its worked well in the past.

Fogel

Smash Lord
For those who are going to the smashfest this week, try not to show up until about 6 or so. I've got training downtown until 4:30 every day this week, so I don't think I can be home for 5 (rush hour buses from downtown = crowded and slow). Please spread the word to those who don't check swf as much!

tect

Smash Journeyman
maybe i'll make it....

leave a note on the door, that way people won't leave and not come back ^_^

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Dreiven is most definitely a beast. I have to say though, Mondi screwed up big time by being so behind in upgrades. Being 0/1 compared to 2/3 is a joke.

And it makes me wonder if Archons are imba vs Zerg, because they honestly have no counter. They're just massive life, massive splash damage ownage.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Dreiven is most definitely a beast. I have to say though, Mondi screwed up big time by being so behind in upgrades. Being 0/1 compared to 2/3 is a joke.

And it makes me wonder if Archons are imba vs Zerg, because they honestly have no counter. They're just massive life, massive splash damage ownage.
How do Ultralisks fare? They're big, so splash damage shouldn't be as big a deal for them, and they have lots of health.

Damax

Smash Lord
How do Ultralisks fare? They're big, so splash damage shouldn't be as big a deal for them, and they have lots of health.
They cost a bunch, are worthless alone, attack rather slow, has limited capacity of ganking (since they are so big) are melee and can get owned by micro management etc... they also take a **** load of space in your max pop

Cbone

Smash Journeyman
i can't decide who i want to win, i was wanting Mondi to win, then Dreiven beat him. I like dreiven as well though so i dunno. JF is cool and all because hes Canadian and BRAT was in the russian military as well as the final T player...so i gotta root for him=D. Overall i'll probably decide next round.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Hey Ian, I wanna pick up Terran a bit, gimmie ur 1337 hax lool11!11!1one!

Btw, the map I'm making is pretty good so far if I might say so myself. I already had a balance issue that was somewhat bad but an easy fix. Now I just need to move the natural forward a bit and I think it'll be close to completion.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Hey Ian, I wanna pick up Terran a bit, gimmie ur 1337 hax lool11!11!1one!

Btw, the map I'm making is pretty good so far if I might say so myself. I already had a balance issue that was somewhat bad but an easy fix. Now I just need to move the natural forward a bit and I think it'll be close to completion.
TvT: Build a lot of factories, spam tanks and gols
TvP: Build a lot of factories, spam tanks and gols
TvZ: Build a lot of factories, spam tanks and gols, but use M&M sometimes too I guess?

PND

Smash Champion
Hi guys, another Ottawa player here who has been looking for a Smash scene. I've got 3 other friends, we play all the time, but we're looking for more. Maybe a tourney or smashfest sometime? PM me or message me back, I'd love to hear from you guys.

I'm also on AiB as Matty Dread, so you can contact me there instead, if you prefer.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Hey PNDMike, welcome to the Ottawa thread.

Fogel hosts weekly smashfests. PM him for directions. What's your general location? If you're close to the Glebe/Ottawa U there're a few of us in this area. I'm always up for a game.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Just a reminder to everyone coming tonight that I will probably be late, try not to be there until 6 or so unless you like waiting on my doorstep!

Gab

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I'm new here :)

I'm actually from Gatineau but I guess that's close enough to Ottawa. My FC is 2449 4292 4474. I can't wait to play you guys online (and maybe locally too eventually :D)

PND

Smash Champion
Well, as of this month I'm from about half an hour outside of Ottawa. I used to live downtown, but with university out I'm back with the 'rents. It's not hard for me and my friends to get into the city though, so we're always down for some matches, work permitting. We're in Ottawa pretty much every weekend anyway (except this weekend, being May 24)

What size are the turnouts usually? Who do you guys main? What's the scene Ottawa like? I have so many questions, but I guess the best way to find out the answers is to actually attend a smashfest.

As for our tech side, well, I've been lurking here for about 2 years, and we all post on AiB, so we're decent, I guess. We're not just random scrubs, we have a pretty solid grasp of Advanced Techniques and the competetive scene, but our competition was only against eachother which is very, well, limiting. :( We'd definitely like to attend sometime, assuming it's okay with you guys.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Welcome to the Ottawa community Gab and PNDMike!

edit: For those coming to the smashfest tonight, you can show up at the normal time if you want; I got home early today because I'm so fast.

What size are the turnouts usually? Who do you guys main? What's the scene Ottawa like? I have so many questions, but I guess the best way to find out the answers is to actually attend a smashfest.
Smashfests usually have anywhere between 8-14 people currently, at the higher numbers it's almost too much for my basement, so we may have to start moving things up a floor and have a multi-floor smashfest :) IMO, the Ottawa scene is pretty laid-back and friendly compared to some other scenes out there, but we are a bit less active than some of them. Quite a few of us only play at smashfests and the occasional tournament (myself included), and I don't think very many are even bothering to play online anymore due to lag.

As for mains, I personally don't know who I'm maining yet, a fact which annoys/amuses many people around here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom