• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Out of curiosity, who do you guys use as secondaries?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
I've been sort of experimenting with finding a new secondary that complements Yoshi, fits my playing style, and does relatively well in Yoshi's bad matches (which for me personally are Lucario, Marth, Zelda, and Game & Watch). As such, I've been toying around with a few characters, but I also wanted to see who you guys use predominantly when not bringing out the dinosaur.

Statistically, I'd say Game & Watch (and of course, Meta) would be my best choice, but I've also been considering using Pikachu, Samus, Mario, and Toon Link as my primary secondary.

Now granted, this is obviously an individual decision, but I thought I'd get some of your thoughts and opinions on who backs Yoshi up well.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
I have fooled around with PT, Peach, and GaW (but GaW was tooo high tier for me to like.)

I don't know about you guys but I have like ZERO control over any character other than Yoshi.. I can't seem to play anyone else..

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ness for singles and doubles. and samus for just doubles (that spike is too awesome)

Neither really cover yoshi's disadvantaged matchups at all but I can only play character I enjoy playing for some reason.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
thats a good question really, i'd like to see what other ppl say

personally i'm like a dual main, i use Yoshi and Sheik...Sheik does better against DK, DeDeDe, Wolf, and Ike i think. I should probably be more concerned with matchups and counterpicking strategies heh.

bigman40

Smash Master
I can use Pikachu, Mario, PT, Bowser, and Lucario as a secondary. Granted none of my secondaries are as close to my main in skill.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Man, it sounds like we're all a single breed, us Yoshi players! :laugh:

Yeah, it's hard to have the same magic touch with anyone else that I do with Yoshi. I guess when you get down to it, a dedicated secondary is totally unnecessary. I think I just need a character to break up the monotony sometimes. :)

Poltergust

Smash Master
NNID
Poltergust
3DS FC
3609-1547-9922
Come on, you have to have a secondary for those bad match-ups. For me, I have Zelda, Toon Link, Ice Climbers (I don't chain-grab with them, I use them against chain-grabbers, though), Luigi, and for doubles DK, Ness, and Mr. Game & Watch.

Kress

Smash Rookie
I almost never use my secondaries, I just use 'em when I'm tired of beating my friend's *** (with yoshi <_<)

But if I fight wihout yoshi, I'm most likely using luigi or olimar....

Sharky

Smash Master
I raaaaaaarely resort to anyone other than Yoshi, but if necessary, I'll break out the R.O.B., and once in a blue moon I'll use Link. The R.O.B.'s decent, but I don't camp enough with Link, I think. =P

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
Pikachu, but he's only like half as good as my Yoshi

ill also fool around with Fox, and i just started to pick up DDD but those two are really just for fun, i cant take those two as seriously as Yoshi or Pikachu.

i go Yoshi all the way in tournaments!! Pikachu's never gonna have a chance to play.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I play a pretty serious Ganon, then Falcon when I sandbag. Jiggz when I'm REALLY sandbagging. Also, I switch to Metaknight to show people how broken he is because I don't even know how to use him and win anyway.

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
LOL, I've been on an endless quest to find a good secondary for me, but no luck. Right now I enjoy playing as (in no particular order) Kirby, Marth, Diddy, Luigi, and Mario, but I'm not all too good with any of them, or at least, not nearly as comfortable with them as I am with Yoshi.

StarYoshi14

Smash Rookie
Meh, I would say the only other character besides Yoshi that I would use in a competitive environment is PT. SQUIRTLE, IVYSAUR, CHARIZARD! 3 RAPERS IN ONE!!!!

rel_12

Smash Apprentice
lol I main Yoshi, which is my best
but I also main, Ness & Diddy

jehonaker

Smash Cadet
I'm going back and forth between Lucario and Yoshi as main/secondary at the present, with an assortment of characters mixed in.

I can honestly say that my Lucario is above-average...but that comes from maining Mewtwo in Melee and being used to their similarities.

Yoshi is fun, though, and he's probably my favorite to play as.

Airborne

Smash Lord
my only secondary right now is falco..... but i haven't used him in forever because i think if i work on a character that is harder to master, i'll become a better overall player..... and yoshi has his sex kicks....

bigman40

Smash Master
Certainly learning Yoshi makes you better overall, but I've found out (thx to Chaco I think) that when you also play other characters, you develop a different playstyle with them. Not only that, you learn a few tips from those characters that makes your main stronger cause you found a few more tricks.

Airborne

Smash Lord
Certainly learning Yoshi makes you better overall, but I've found out (thx to Chaco I think) that when you also play other characters, you develop a different playstyle with them. Not only that, you learn a few tips from those characters that makes your main stronger cause you found a few more tricks.
are you insinuating that we try MK?!?!?!?!

bigman40

Smash Master
No....I can't even play a decent MK. I'm saying try a few other characters that you like, just to get a few tricks from them.

Top Bottom