• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Out of the biggest Religions, which one is overall the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RANDOM_Stranger

Smash Cadet
Now before we start. The religions I want us to compare are:

>Christianity
>Catholicism
>Judaism
>Islam
>Hinduism
>Buddhism

Except Atheism, I think these are the biggest ones many people are refering to when someone mention religion!

IMO, I like Buddhism out of these 6. It was a long time ago I studied Religion soo I can't be very precise why I am, but it was a fun/interesting topic we had in school. And if I had to choose one of these as a belief. Buddhism is the one I feel closest to.

There is no god in it. But some Buddhism think/want Buddha as a god. But that's becaus they thought a religion with no god in it was wierd, becaus every other reliogion had at least 1. Hinduism which Buddhism comes from have houndreds of them.

I personally don't think there is no god. But I feel there is something, we just can't simply see or prove it. And I think Buddhism pretty much nailed it here what it is (kinda)!

NNID
Budget_Player
I find this question rather bizarre. Given that each and every one of these makes unproven claims about the supernatural, and given that those claims are critically important to the value of that religion (if, for example, Christianity is true, then it does not matter how badly earthly christians behave, the benefit of an eternal paradise outweighs all earthly atrocities), it seems the far more important question would be "which religion is true?".

I mean, sure, we could just say that none of them have actually done anything to prove their claims, and that therefore we should just measure them by "which one has the least ****ty overall philosophy and followers", but all of them are absolutely awful. Christianity (I have no idea why you count Catholicism as a different religion), Islam, and Judaism all contain horrific laws about slavery, homosexuality, and adultery and are responsible for the ongoing slaughter in the holy land. They also contain horrifically immoral proclamations about hell and eternal torment. Hinduism and Buddhism both contain the concept of Karma, which is possibly the most blatant "be happy with your lot in life and never try to get anything better" manipulation in any religion, and is directly responsible for a horrific and long-standing caste system in India that the government has tried, with only moderate success, to get rid of. All of these religions cause immense amounts of suffering with unproven and unprovable supernatural ideas, and nothing good about the religion is necessarily exclusive to the religion.

I know you say that you think there is something. But if you can't see it or feel it or experience it in any way, if you can't prove it in any way, why believe in it? And even beyond that, why would you assume that any of the great world religions now had the answer? Why exclude the countless other religions that came before? Maybe one of them has the right answer? Or maybe we haven't yet discovered the religion with the right answer. After all, each religion was completely unavailable to the people who lived before it. What if the right answer is some religion that nobody has discovered yet?

All in all, your logic seems very muddled.

RANDOM_Stranger

Smash Cadet
@ the op you do realize Catholicism is a branch of Christianity right
Yes. Sure, they both read the Bible. But there is something very important what makes them different. And it's how to be accepted by God.

Most Christians think we just need to put faith on God/Jesus soo we get to heaven when we die. But the Catholics think we only get accepted depanding how good we lived our lifes.

Soo the lifestyle, rules etc. on both believers become different. Soo living as a Catholic could be very strict how you live your life. While Christianity, not that much.

Last edited:

M15t3R E

Smash Master
The best...? I don't understand the grading criteria you expect us to use. But I can tell you that they are all pointless wastes of time, some moreso than others.

RANDOM_Stranger

Smash Cadet
Well, I thought this could be a very opinion based discussion. Comparing these religions, what do you think about them. Which of these do you like the most/think is the best one. Or worst. Why?

I didn't think this would be an easy topic. And I wasn't thinking on giving this one objectives we could use to compare them.

Sure, out of these, what beliefe makes most sense to you. Or not. The rules of living these have, do they suck or not? The history they have, did they have anything good in them. Did these beliefes help in any way or made everything much worse?

Last edited:

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
I was raised religious, and then converted to two other religions, lol. I'm not religious anymore, but I'll say that each one has their pros and cons if that what you looking for. Can't say ones better than the other. But then again that's arguable, for them at least.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Catholics are the best at molesting and hypocrisy

Christians are the best at assimilating into the hive mind and being afraid to have individual thought.

Muslims are the best at stoning r*ped women, cause you know....they got r*ped. How dare they.

It's so hard to chose just one.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
This was an awful thread idea, but there is no best religion, every religion has blood on it's hands, even Christians (I'm looking directly at you, KKK!)

Last edited:

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
Catholics are the best at molesting and hypocrisy

Christians are the best at assimilating into the hive mind and being afraid to have individual thought.

Muslims are the best at stoning r*ped women, cause you know....they got r*ped. How dare they.

It's so hard to chose just one.
As someone who was a member of all of them at some time. Your kinda right, lol.

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
Yes. Sure, they both read the Bible. But there is something very important what makes them different. And it's how to be accepted by God.

Most Christians think we just need to put faith on God/Jesus soo we get to heaven when we die. But the Catholics think we only get accepted depanding how good we lived our lifes.

Soo the lifestyle, rules etc. on both believers become different. Soo living as a Catholic could be very strict how you live your life. While Christianity, not that much.
I really don't understand how you can say Protestants, Orthodoxes, coptes and all other branchs of christianity are the same, except catholics tbh (not sure about the denominations in english). To me the orthodox church differs at least as much.
By Christianity, do you really mean Anglicanism/protestantism?
Even if you take only the main branches, it is about 50% Catholics, 37% Protestants, 12% Orthodoxes FYI, so I don't think it is relevant to group protestants and orthodoxes together.

I'd say the same for Islam : shia is pretty different from sunni

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I think "best" is a too definitive word for this. "What is your favorite" would be better imo
Also you mentioned atheism as a religion not to include in discussion, but atheism is a lack of religion so it shouldn't be included regardless.

But Buddhism is the most raw religion by far.

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
I think "best" is a too definitive word for this. "What is your favorite" would be better imo
Also you mentioned atheism as a religion not to include in discussion, but atheism is a lack of religion so it shouldn't be included regardless.

But Buddhism is the most raw religion by far.
Let's debate our favourite flavours of ice cream while we're at it.

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Well you can definitely chose a "best" religion, and debate/argue that point. I do kind of agree with Flustered that there isn't much of a debate if you give you favorite, since you don't really open to door for further conversation on a purely subjective opinion.

So yea "best" is possible, BUT you need to set parameters first which OP failed to do. We need to know to what point(s) are we arguing "best" here. Best at charity? Best at being benign? Best at being a positive force in this world? Best track record and forward thinking (morality and societal laws)? Best integration with science and adapting to the times?

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Let's debate our favourite flavours of ice cream while we're at it.
Religions =/= ice cream flavors
It's a lot more complicated than that. Saying Christianity is worse than another religion, for example, would be much more offensive than saying strawberry sucks.

Well you can definitely chose a "best" religion, and debate/argue that point.

BUT you need to set parameters first, which OP failed to do. We need to know to what point(s) are we arguing "best" here. Best at charity? Best at being benign? Best at being a positive force in this world? Best track record and forward thinking (morality and societal laws)? Best integration with science and adapting to the times?
This is a good point actually and it makes a lot more sense when you put it that way

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
I think Frozen Yogurt is like 10x better than Ice Cream.

And Sherbert is also superior to Ice Cream IMO.

And by "IMO" I mean it's scientifically a fact.

RANDOM_Stranger

Smash Cadet
I thought it probably wasn't a good idéa to post this in the first place. And I think it's pretty clear now this should be locked/removed!

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
Sometimes when I eat some premium top shelf Ice Cream, and it's REALLY good.....I can see God and feel everything in the universe.

But on a serious note I think it would be more interesting to discuss lesser known awesome religions that actually make sense like - Druidism, Naturalists, Discordianism, Asatru, Wicca, etc. Most of those are a hell of a lot more sensible than any of the large popular ridiculous religions we have now. Although Buddhism and Hinduism are close....

Last edited:

FlusteredBat

Smash Journeyman
But on a serious note I think it would be more interesting to discuss lesser known awesome religions that actually make sense like - Druidism, Naturalists, Discordianism, Asatru, Wicca, etc. Most of those are a hell of a lot more sensible than any of the large popular ridiculous religions we have now. Although Buddhism and Hinduism are close....
How is it ever sensible to project one's internal fantasies onto the external world and treat them as reality? The scientific method was revolutionary because religion absolutely sucks at helping us understand the universe.

Last edited:

Chainz

Sleepy Chainz
Premium
3DS FC
1075-1816-9029
But on a serious note I think it would be more interesting to discuss lesser known awesome religions that actually make sense like - Druidism, Naturalists, Discordianism, Asatru, Wicca, etc.
Lol, you really being for real? Aight, I actually kinda want to hear this.

I can see Naturalism. But the rest... lol, you better off with the mainstream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom