• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overcoming scrubness to play competitively.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
Anyway. The thing here is that, while this article is probably the cornerstone of the "playing to win" philosophy, it is one in a series, and some of the points that are brought time and again against it are actually answered in the rest of the articles. Some of these points have also been mentioned by other people in the thread, particularly regarding the "playing to win VS. playing for fun / to learn". There is one other point that keeps being brought up, however, and it's the fact that "if a character/tactic/move is too good/broken, abusing it makes the game shallow and/or boring".

Sirlin's response is quite simple. If the game really has such a tactic (and this is a very important if, as more than half of this thread's posts seem to revolve about this point), then the game's depth essentialy becomes reduced to "who can pull the tactic most efficiently". If this, in turn, is not very deep (as is probably the case), then the game as a whole has become broken. If the game can't be patched to correct this fatal weakness (as is the case with Wii games), then the best course of action is simply to abandon it. Period. Move on, nothing to see here.

The gut reaction for most people at this point would be that this solution is quite extreme, particularly if they DO enjoy the game minus this broken tactic. And I can really emphatize. But really, is it that extreme? Do you really want to invest time in a game where, no matter how many subtleties of it you can master, someone who just knows this technique wil destroy you? It really seems like a waste. This one fatal flaw will alwas haunt you. Every time you play the game, even against a friend, both of you will know that the other could have won just by resorting to it. Honestly, I wouldn't be confortable.
I've read a few of Sirlin's articles, and from what I've seen he does think that if something is so good that it is game breaking, it should be banned, like Akuma in Street Fighter 2.

But he doesn't seem to be against the type of play that many would consider "boring." Let me find the quote I've had in mind from one of his articles...

"I am known secondarily for some of the same traits as Ortiz: my patience and ability to annoy opponents. But I am primarily known for my obsession with doing the same move over and over again. I try to find moves that are 100 times harder to stop than they are for me to do. If I can find something I can do over and over and over without fear of retaliation, then I am at my happiest. When I do discover such things, it doesn’t say much for the game’s design, but that isn’t my problem as a player, and I have no obligation to anyone to play a game “as it was intended” or in an “exciting” way. Janowski caused the two bishops to be called “the two Jans,” but I have caused myself to be called “low strong” after Rose’s move in Street Fighter."

From this, it seems that Sirlin thrives on the type of play that personally I could never enjoy. Completely spamming a ridiculously good move over and over again is when he's "at his happiest."

No matter how many tournaments I could win (hypothetically, of course), I'm just not sure I'd want to be "the guy who wins at Street Fighter by using the same move over and over again." I love to win, but I also play video games for enjoyment, and like I said before, I would sooner stop playing a game than continue to play a game I wasn't enjoying, regardless of whether I was winning or losing.

Street Fighter has been brought up a lot in this topic so let me use this as an example (I don't actually play Street Fighter so forgive me if I'm not in touch with all of the game's terms and characteristics). I saw a video brought up on a forum once. It was a tournament match between two Guile players. They each spammed projectiles at each other, usually canceling the other out, and very occasionally one would jump, block, or move in for a quick poke. This went on for 3 rounds. Now I'm betting some would say that it's an awesome stale mate between two amazing players and there's so much going on in that match despite the way it looks, but this is exactly the type of thing that turns me away. I know I can't be alone, because almost everyone seemed to agree that it was boring, uneventful, and would most likely be unenjoyable if they were to play games that way.

Now let me bring up another video that I bet almost everyone here has seen. This one's easy to find so I might as well post it again. http://youtube.com/watch?v=KS7hkwbKmBM

I've seen this posted plenty of times before, and people are always saying "one of the greatest moments in fighting game history" and similar things. Why is that? To me, it looks like it's because it is an absolutely outstanding comeback and a display of ridiculous skill. Could 3 rounds of projectile spamming produce a reaction like that? Would it ever become a legendary video, exciting for not only hardcore fighting gamers, but all types of gamers everywhere? Not likely.

All I'm getting at is that not everyone will find winning the "boring" way satisfying. With this video becoming popular among so many gamers (even those who don't play the game), this tells me that people enjoy excitement. And for some players, they want to be the one who pulls off these amazing feats in games, even if it's no more effective than the guy who spams projectiles the whole match.

So I guess this turns into the same short argument I had originally had in mind. If winning through (to some) boring methods isn't satisfying, I don't see any reason to continue to do so. For those who are satisfied winning by any means necessary, please continue to do what works for you. But for those who find more enjoyment in their own custom style, their favorite characters (whether they're "top tier" or not), etc. I don't think they should be looked down upon. It is still possible to become a good player without throwing away what it is you enjoy about the game you play (which, admittedly, is purely subjective).

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
WARNING! Wall of text incoming! :chuckle: (I wonder if anyone will read it all...)

Awesome post, Mike35: this is exactly the kind of stuff this thread is great for. I see where you're coming from, which makes it easier to explain my own opinion and where I disagree.

I've read a few of Sirlin's articles, and from what I've seen he does think that if something is so good that it is game breaking, it should be banned, like Akuma in Street Fighter 2. .
Well, Akuma's case is a bit special. He's not supposed to be balanced with the rest of the characters, which is a very bad, but conscious, design decision, rather than a mistake in the balancing process. The decision to simply ban him as a character is a relatively straightforward one, much like, say, banning Big Blue in Melee. It's just not designed for balanced play, not was it intended to.
This distinction is moderately important because Akuma being intentionally unbalanced doesn't make the rest of the game balance suspect of being shoddy, like an unintended unbalanced tactic would.

But he doesn't seem to be against the type of play that many would consider "boring." Let me find the quote I've had in mind from one of his articles...

"I am known secondarily for some of the same traits as Ortiz: my patience and ability to annoy opponents. But I am primarily known for my obsession with doing the same move over and over again. I try to find moves that are 100 times harder to stop than they are for me to do. If I can find something I can do over and over and over without fear of retaliation, then I am at my happiest. When I do discover such things, it doesn’t say much for the game’s design, but that isn’t my problem as a player, and I have no obligation to anyone to play a game “as it was intended” or in an “exciting” way. Janowski caused the two bishops to be called “the two Jans,” but I have caused myself to be called “low strong” after Rose’s move in Street Fighter."

From this, it seems that Sirlin thrives on the type of play that personally I could never enjoy. Completely spamming a ridiculously good move over and over again is when he's "at his happiest."
But notice that this in fact is doing his opponents a favor in the long run. Either someone will come up with a countertactic sooner (it's much easier to come up with a counter when you know your opponent is going to do a certain move, it's mixups that make it much more difficult), or he will go on to win the tournament and this will expose the broken move for the community to evaluate. This is also good, since there will now be much more people testing the move and its possible counters. This in turn has two outcomes: either someone will come up with a counter (and then the counter-counter game begins anew!) or all of the community decides that the move simply can't be countered and act accordingly (probably banning it). No matter what path we walk along, in the long run we reach a better outcome sooner if he does abuse the move.

Also note that all of this is secondary to the original player (let's say Sirlin)'s objective, which is to win the tournament. By discovering this knowledge nobody else has, and more importantly, that trumps any others', he deserves to win the tournament. He will probably not win the next tournament, and each one after that the move will be progressively less useful, which is, IMHO, exactly how things should be. In the end, everyone understands the game better and is equipped with weapons to fight this move.

No matter how many tournaments I could win (hypothetically, of course), I'm just not sure I'd want to be "the guy who wins at Street Fighter by using the same move over and over again." I love to win, but I also play video games for enjoyment, and like I said before, I would sooner stop playing a game than continue to play a game I wasn't enjoying, regardless of whether I was winning or losing.
You're making several assumptions here that are simply not true. Most importantly, you're treating the game as a static snapshot where nobody ever learns from the previous tournament and every single one is the same. This is not true!

Let's assume that Sirlin was totally devoted to the play style of "using one single move over and over". This is actually not true since that would actually severely limit his options and would definitely not be "playing to win": if you read more of his articles you'll find that he has had to change and improvise when his tactic of choice wasn't pulling its weight, as everyone else. In any case, let's assume that he is. Even so, Sirlin's fun resides in many things you're overlooking.

First would be to find the "secret knowledge" (as he calls it) that nobody else knows, by exploring each characters moves, their properties, their recoveries, safety, priority, and so on. You're probably imagining how long this would take for a complex game, and in a sense, I imagine it would be like a treasure hunt. Finding the treasure would be incredibly rewaring in itself, and we still haven't begun playing!

When he's chosen that move, he has to learn how and when to use it. I'd like to highlight something here: Sirlin's article seems to give some people the impression that he just crouched and mashed strong kick. As anyone that has ever played Street Fighter can probably tell, that's ridiculous. Using just a move is not the same as spamming it; and this in turn isn't equal to mashing it, either. Sirlin obviously used it in the situations that it could be used without fear of retaliation: it was still up to him and his skill to put himself in those situations, and of course, to refrain from using it when he would be vulnerable or would not hit. Indeed, spacing.

Then, of course, is the tournament itself, which is a completely different thing. He's now facing wildly different opponents and characters, many of whom have been as busy as him researching. Will his tactic lead him to the top? Or will he be destroyed by the first noob that manages to find a counter that he simply never thought of? As you can imagine, there's a world of fun to be had in this uncertainty. And of course, he STILL has to play well! Even assuming that his find gives him a distinct advantage, he'll probably be facing opponents that are simply better players than him, so he can't slack off.

My point is, there are lots of fun to be had with even this seemly dull approach, and many of these are completely different types of fun that someone who is not "playing to win" would have.

Street Fighter has been brought up a lot in this topic so let me use this as an example (I don't actually play Street Fighter so forgive me if I'm not in touch with all of the game's terms and characteristics). I saw a video brought up on a forum once. It was a tournament match between two Guile players. They each spammed projectiles at each other, usually canceling the other out, and very occasionally one would jump, block, or move in for a quick poke. This went on for 3 rounds. Now I'm betting some would say that it's an awesome stale mate between two amazing players and there's so much going on in that match despite the way it looks, but this is exactly the type of thing that turns me away. I know I can't be alone, because almost everyone seemed to agree that it was boring, uneventful, and would most likely be unenjoyable if they were to play games that way.
OK, now ask yourself the following question. Was it the fault of the players for playing the game the best they could? Or was it the fault of the game, if when played at the highest skill level, it looks that boring? If you want to play a game that's flashy, aren't you better off finding another game that simply has a more exciting top level gameplay? (I know I'm not being fair with Street Fighter here: it's not that the game devolves into projectile spamming at high levels, that was simply an unfortunately player/character/skill level matchup).

But more importantly, are you sure it IS boring? Sure, it might seem boring to you from the outside, the same way I find most sports to be mind-bogglingly boring, but do you think the players themselves were bored? I highly suspect not. Isn't the most important thing of a game the fun YOU as a player are having? Screw spectators! :D

Now let me bring up another video that I bet almost everyone here has seen. This one's easy to find so I might as well post it again. http://youtube.com/watch?v=KS7hkwbKmBM

I've seen this posted plenty of times before, and people are always saying "one of the greatest moments in fighting game history" and similar things. Why is that? To me, it looks like it's because it is an absolutely outstanding comeback and a display of ridiculous skill. Could 3 rounds of projectile spamming produce a reaction like that? Would it ever become a legendary video, exciting for not only hardcore fighting gamers, but all types of gamers everywhere? Not likely.
Without even looking at the link I'm guessing it's Daigo's legendary win against Chun-li by parrying Chun's super, isn't it? ^^. That is the stuff of legends.
But, anyway, let's analyze this from a "playing to win" perspective. First of all, do you believe that Daigo fights to be flashy? Do you think he purposely parried all that to make people go wow? Or rather, do you think that he parried all that because he had no other choice, and therefore, his only option to win was that?

Let's put it another way. If he wasn't down to the point that the chipping damage would have killed him, do you think he would have taken the chance to parry it? I'm pretty sure the answer is "no". He would have blocked it rather than take the huge risk of parrying it for the minimal reward of avoiding a little chip damage. Because, in a tournament, you play to win, not to be flashy.

But that precisely is what makes this video so exciting! If people in tournaments played to be flashy, we would see many people parry super combos like this, and it would become normal and even boring. Sure, it takes skill and reflexes, but that's not at all the reason this is so special. It's because what was at a stake, and because this was done to win, not to be flashy, that it's so unique.

Also note that the other player was also playing to win. Using chipping damage to finish an opponent low on health could be considered "cheap" by scrubs and avoided. Heck, in Alpha 2, winning through chipping damage made that victory's symbol a cheese! :laugh:. If he had refrained from using this tactic because of "cheapness", Daigo wouldn't have been forced to use a countertactic on the spot, and this would have never happened. See where I'm getting there? By avoiding the use of "cheap" moves, you're limiting not only your gameplay, but also your opponent's gameplay (since he doesn't need to counter it), and then, again, your own (no need to think counters to the counter), and so on. In fact, this video is a pretty good example of why "playing to win" makes players shine that much more.

All I'm getting at is that not everyone will find winning the "boring" way satisfying. With this video becoming popular among so many gamers (even those who don't play the game), this tells me that people enjoy excitement. And for some players, they want to be the one who pulls off these amazing feats in games, even if it's no more effective than the guy who spams projectiles the whole match.
As I mentioned, it's BECAUSE this was done in order to win (and in fact succeeded, against all odds) that it's so special. It's the CONTEXT that makes this one video one of a kind; without "playing to win", I'm certaing this would have never happened within this context, simply because that context wouldn't exist.

So I guess this turns into the same short argument I had originally had in mind. If winning through (to some) boring methods isn't satisfying, I don't see any reason to continue to do so. For those who are satisfied winning by any means necessary, please continue to do what works for you. But for those who find more enjoyment in their own custom style, their favorite characters (whether they're "top tier" or not), etc. I don't think they should be looked down upon. It is still possible to become a good player without throwing away what it is you enjoy about the game you play (which, admittedly, is purely subjective).
In one of his articles, Sirlin equates learing about a game's particular technique as climbing a mountain. The point of his article was that you can't know how tall the mountain is until you've climbed it, and that takes time. Sometimes, you'll find that the mountain wasn't that tall at all, and can then come down and choose another mountain to climb.

By limiting your options, you're efectively saying "I won't climb some mountains". In fact, you're saying "if a mountain seems very tall (the technique seems very effective), I will NOT climb it at all". But worse of all, you're saying "I'm having more fun down there that the people up there are", without even climbing the mountain to find out. Obviously, it's your choice, but I can't really think you can know for sure.

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Some of the posters in this thread are hilarious.

"You have a different opinion then me? Well, that's just because you're a scrub, that's all."

You speak in such a condescending manner, it's ludicrous.

As a scrub, I enjoy winning a match without using a powerful attack over and over again. It gives me a much better feeling that I have 'earned' my victory, especially if I'm at a disadvantage. Makes the other guy look stupid.

In this thread, there are lots of Will Turners and lots of Captain Jack Sparrows.

The Will Turners are saying, "In a fair fight, I'd **** you up."

The Jack Sparrows are saying, "Well, then there's not much of an inclination for me to fight fairly."

PityLord

Smash Apprentice
WARNING! Wall of text incoming! (I wonder if anyone will read it all...)
Read it all and loved it. I Like the way you type out your thoughts and this was almost exactly what I was thinking about Brawl when I read Sirlins article.

Since im starting a competetive scene at my homecountry when Brawl comes out I thik I will link my website to Sirlins for people to read and understand some things.

Great discusion. Kudos to WeltallZero and Mike35.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Apparently that person and yourself have no real notion of honour or showmanship. When you have a duel, one where you count to ten, turn and shoot, it's pretty easy to just shoot your opponent in the back of the head once he's counted to two. It takes respect for your opponent to show them the same courtesy they pay to you, namely not spamming one move that's guaranteed to hit and kill without fail and actually put effort into a fight as they are.

Call me a scrub if you must, but just pressing one thing that always yields the same results isn't much of a game to me. At least in a one button RPG, the button does different things every now and again.
But that's not an unwritten rule of the duel. It's a written rule. The thing is, in video games, the written rules are almost exclusively the game engine itself, rules beyond that are generally match set-up rules (ex. "no items, fox only, final destination", lol, sorry couldn't resist), beyond that, there are rare bannings of techniques that are generally agreed upon to destroy the game environment. Oh, and then there's using factors outside the game itself to win (ex. unplugging a controller), that's inherent to all video games. Creating your own rules doesn't help anyone and limits your game expirience.

As for just using one move, there's no move that powerful, period. If a person is spamming a move then you know what they're gonna do and you SHOULD be able to counter it. The biggest weakness in a fighting game you can have is predictability, because EVERY move has it's drawbacks and counters. If spamming works on you, get better. Learn how to counter it, as long as it works people will keep using it. That should give you plenty of opportunity to figure out a way around it. If you can't... you're not as good as your opponent, accept that fact.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
I'm so proud of you for overcoming that scrub mentality. Just the other day I owned a local Brawl tourney, and some scrub had the nerve to come over to me and say that "nobody respects pit or metaknight players" when he could only take 2 of my stocks out of 3 matches.
Nobody respects Metaknight or Pit players?!?! Is this true?

gohankaiy

Smash Rookie
I'm almost always on these boards, just reading thru, picking up tips, and stuff but never actually posting. After reading this I had to make my first post. This is one of THE BEST written gameplay articles I've ever read. I thank you.

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
Read it all and loved it. I Like the way you type out your thoughts and this was almost exactly what I was thinking about Brawl when I read Sirlins article.
*blush* thanks a lot for your kind words. They're much appreciated! :)

adumbrodeus explained magnificently why the duel example doesn't work.

Also, that Jack Sparrow quote is just one in the endless list that makes him da man. I'll pick him, even as a role model, over yawnmaster Will Turner any day of the year. Seriously, is there anyone that wouldn't? Jack Sparrow for Sirlin mascot! :)

>> I thank you.

Thank Sirlin, at least in my case it's him who made me open my eyes.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
WARNING! Wall of text incoming! :chuckle: (I wonder if anyone will read it all...)

Awesome post, Mike35: this is exactly the kind of stuff this thread is great for. I see where you're coming from, which makes it easier to explain my own opinion and where I disagree.
Thanks, I'm glad we could have some intelligent discussion on this subject. I better understand some of your points now than I did before, but there are still a few things I disagree on. I might not reply to *everything* you wrote there, but it's only because if I did I'd end up repeating myself, not because I'm ignoring what you have to say. :p

But notice that this in fact is doing his opponents a favor in the long run. Either someone will come up with a countertactic sooner (it's much easier to come up with a counter when you know your opponent is going to do a certain move, it's mixups that make it much more difficult), or he will go on to win the tournament and this will expose the broken move for the community to evaluate. This is also good, since there will now be much more people testing the move and its possible counters. This in turn has two outcomes: either someone will come up with a counter (and then the counter-counter game begins anew!) or all of the community decides that the move simply can't be countered and act accordingly (probably banning it). No matter what path we walk along, in the long run we reach a better outcome sooner if he does abuse the move.
This is a good point. I better see what he was getting at now and I even agree that there's nothing wrong if that's the style he chooses. Although I will say it simply isn't my play style. I can see how those who try to exploit certain moves help the game evolve, though I'll always be the one trying to counter the move spamming, not the one doing it. If it turns out that the game rewards a style of play that I don't enjoy and I can't win without it, I'll probably move on to another game (unless the move is banned, like you mentioned as a possibility). Being able to both win and enjoy your style of game play are both very important to me. If for some reason I eventually felt it was impossible (or close to it) to win without playing a style that I personally hated, there's not much reason for me to continue.

OK, now ask yourself the following question. Was it the fault of the players for playing the game the best they could? Or was it the fault of the game, if when played at the highest skill level, it looks that boring? If you want to play a game that's flashy, aren't you better off finding another game that simply has a more exciting top level gameplay? (I know I'm not being fair with Street Fighter here: it's not that the game devolves into projectile spamming at high levels, that was simply an unfortunately player/character/skill level matchup).

But more importantly, are you sure it IS boring? Sure, it might seem boring to you from the outside, the same way I find most sports to be mind-bogglingly boring, but do you think the players themselves were bored? I highly suspect not. Isn't the most important thing of a game the fun YOU as a player are having? Screw spectators! :D
Oh, I agree that it's not their job to put on a show for those watching them. I was basically saying that I could never enjoy that style of play. It's a boring style IMHO, even if I'm the one playing. As I mentioned above, I would attempt to use a more exciting or at least a bit more varied style, because I just wouldn't be satisfied winning games if the game wasn't fun for me. Although if some people enjoy styles I consider boring, more power to them. Who am I to ruin their fun? :p

Without even looking at the link I'm guessing it's Daigo's legendary win against Chun-li by parrying Chun's super, isn't it? ^^. That is the stuff of legends.
But, anyway, let's analyze this from a "playing to win" perspective. First of all, do you believe that Daigo fights to be flashy? Do you think he purposely parried all that to make people go wow? Or rather, do you think that he parried all that because he had no other choice, and therefore, his only option to win was that?

Let's put it another way. If he wasn't down to the point that the chipping damage would have killed him, do you think he would have taken the chance to parry it? I'm pretty sure the answer is "no". He would have blocked it rather than take the huge risk of parrying it for the minimal reward of avoiding a little chip damage. Because, in a tournament, you play to win, not to be flashy.

But that precisely is what makes this video so exciting! If people in tournaments played to be flashy, we would see many people parry super combos like this, and it would become normal and even boring. Sure, it takes skill and reflexes, but that's not at all the reason this is so special. It's because what was at a stake, and because this was done to win, not to be flashy, that it's so unique.

Also note that the other player was also playing to win. Using chipping damage to finish an opponent low on health could be considered "cheap" by scrubs and avoided. Heck, in Alpha 2, winning through chipping damage made that victory's symbol a cheese! :laugh:. If he had refrained from using this tactic because of "cheapness", Daigo wouldn't have been forced to use a countertactic on the spot, and this would have never happened. See where I'm getting there? By avoiding the use of "cheap" moves, you're limiting not only your gameplay, but also your opponent's gameplay (since he doesn't need to counter it), and then, again, your own (no need to think counters to the counter), and so on. In fact, this video is a pretty good example of why "playing to win" makes players shine that much more.

As I mentioned, it's BECAUSE this was done in order to win (and in fact succeeded, against all odds) that it's so special. It's the CONTEXT that makes this one video one of a kind; without "playing to win", I'm certaing this would have never happened within this context, simply because that context wouldn't exist.
That is a good point. I think I see where you're coming from, and I think it's great that both players knew so much about the game that games like this are possible.

In one of his articles, Sirlin equates learing about a game's particular technique as climbing a mountain. The point of his article was that you can't know how tall the mountain is until you've climbed it, and that takes time. Sometimes, you'll find that the mountain wasn't that tall at all, and can then come down and choose another mountain to climb.

By limiting your options, you're efectively saying "I won't climb some mountains". In fact, you're saying "if a mountain seems very tall (the technique seems very effective), I will NOT climb it at all". But worse of all, you're saying "I'm having more fun down there that the people up there are", without even climbing the mountain to find out. Obviously, it's your choice, but I can't really think you can know for sure.
Ok, but what would happen if you did climb every mountain you could, and you enjoyed it so much "down there" that you wanted to stay there? That might be a little hard to believe (it even sounds odd to me as it stands :ohwell:), so maybe an analogy would help show where I'm coming from.

Let's say that hypothetically, in SSBB, it turns out that the tournament scene is dominated by Snake, Meta Knight, and Falco. Now a certain SSBB player learns how to play one, maybe even all three of these characters well. He could probably do fairly well in tournaments using these characters, but he happens to prefer playing Yoshi (who is hypothetically "low tier" for this analogy) to anyone else in the game. Something about Yoshi, maybe his play style, maybe a certain set of moves, or maybe because he's a cartoonish green dinosaur, makes this person like playing Yoshi more than anyone else. So he dedicates quite a bit of time to learning how to play Yoshi and develops a style that is really different from anything we've seen, but both enjoyable to play for this person, and effective (for a low tier, anyway).

Now he starts entering tournaments, and he places fairly high, even beating some of the greats who are using the best characters in the game. Maybe he doesn't take first place, but he becomes the best known Yoshi player in the world.

Was this person strictly "playing to win?" Probably not. If he had chosen a "top tier" character to play in tournaments, he could have placed even higher and possibly won a few of them. But he was content playing a "lesser" character with an unorthodox style to the best of his ability. So then, does this person deserve to be called a derogatory term like "scrub?" I would say no. He played in a way he enjoyed, did it well, and he enjoyed every minute of it.

Although I could be wrong in thinking that this person would be considered a scrub to begin with. But looking back at what Sirlin says in his article, "A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about." Would playing a character that you know is at a disadvantage be a self-imposed rule? It seems like it to me.

So I guess that brings me to this. Is winning everything? If some actually find more enjoyment playing "their way" as best they can than they do winning, is there any harm in that? Personally I think any reason to enjoy playing a video game, whether casually or at the highest level possible, is a good one. I get the impression from Sirlin's articles that the "scrub" is wrong while those who play purely to win are right (I could definitely be wrong on this so feel free to correct me). But I don't feel this way at all. It seems to me like there are just two separate view points and neither is right or wrong. People play for different reasons. Some play only to win, while others may have something else that drives them to play, which may cause them to play a bit differently than they would if winning was everything. This doesn't mean the second group doesn't want to win or play well. Only that their are other influences on their game than winning. I don't see any harm in holding either view point.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Masterspeaks seems to be very intelligent when it comes to competitive play. He's like the saviour for all scrubs ^_^

maybe we should play sometime... >_>

Nobody respects Metaknight or Pit players?!?! Is this true?
Only scrubs who are sick of losing to you over and over will complain about the character you use. They have to complain about something and the opponent's character is the only different variable in the fight, so it's the only thing they CAN complain about, but it's still a dumb argument. If they think it's so easy to play as a certain character, then they should do it also, but they don't because they know they're wrong and they would lose. I play as Meta Knight because he is my favorite character in the game, make no mistake, and people will complain about it every now and then, but is it going to stop me from playing as him? Heck no.

People will respect Meta Knight and Pit if you win with them. Same goes for the other 33 characters on the roster.

2DLogic

Smash Cadet
Although I could be wrong in thinking that this person would be considered a scrub to begin with. But looking back at what Sirlin says in his article, "A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about." Would playing a character that you know is at a disadvantage be a self-imposed rule? It seems like it to me.
Not in the scenario you described. For this player, his choice of Yoshi was simply a matter of preference; he has no qualms about playing the better characters based on self-imposed rules of "honor" or notions of them being unfair, he just prefers another character or play style to them. Had he come to his character choice by the logic that these other characters were "cheap", then he would be limiting himself by choosing to play someone other than the dominating characters.

So I guess that brings me to this. Is winning everything? If some actually find more enjoyment playing "their way" as best they can than they do winning, is there any harm in that? Personally I think any reason to enjoy playing a video game, whether casually or at the highest level possible, is a good one. I get the impression from Sirlin's articles that the "scrub" is wrong while those who play purely to win are right (I could definitely be wrong on this so feel free to correct me). But I don't feel this way at all. It seems to me like there are just two separate view points and neither is right or wrong. People play for different reasons. Some play only to win, while others may have something else that drives them to play, which may cause them to play a bit differently than they would if winning was everything. This doesn't mean the second group doesn't want to win or play well. Only that their are other influences on their game than winning. I don't see any harm in holding either view point.
I don't think Sirlin is trying to push the view that people who "play to win", by his definition, are right while those who "don't play to win" are wrong, so much as the "scrub", someone who believes that they are "playing to win" yet still limits themselves by self-imposed rules, is in the wrong in their view of what "playing to win" is. No where does he say that there is anything wrong with not playing to win, and no where does he say that those who don't play to win cannot still win or be skillful players.

PityLord

Smash Apprentice
Let's say that hypothetically, in SSBB, it turns out that the tournament scene is dominated by Snake, Meta Knight, and Falco. Now a certain SSBB player learns how to play one, maybe even all three of these characters well. He could probably do fairly well in tournaments using these characters, but he happens to prefer playing Yoshi (who is hypothetically "low tier" for this analogy) to anyone else in the game. Something about Yoshi, maybe his play style, maybe a certain set of moves, or maybe because he's a cartoonish green dinosaur, makes this person like playing Yoshi more than anyone else. So he dedicates quite a bit of time to learning how to play Yoshi and develops a style that is really different from anything we've seen, but both enjoyable to play for this person, and effective (for a low tier, anyway).

Now he starts entering tournaments, and he places fairly high, even beating some of the greats who are using the best characters in the game. Maybe he doesn't take first place, but he becomes the best known Yoshi player in the world.

Was this person strictly "playing to win?" Probably not. If he had chosen a "top tier" character to play in tournaments, he could have placed even higher and possibly won a few of them. But he was content playing a "lesser" character with an unorthodox style to the best of his ability. So then, does this person deserve to be called a derogatory term like "scrub?" I would say no. He played in a way he enjoyed, did it well, and he enjoyed every minute of it.

I read almost all of Sirlins "Playing to win" article and he doesent say anything like that. You misinterpreted his definition of a scrub who will just refuse of using some aspects of the game cause he considers them cheap. Sirlin stated in his article that the choice of the character is always personal since if a player feels better with a certain character who is top tier, he advises to use that character stating its better to play a low tier character who you are better whith, then a high tier one whose playstyle doesent suit you.

The Yoshi player you stated wouldnt be a scrub since he thrives for self improvement of his Yoshi game and will use all aspects of his character to do so. He is not limiting himself since he plays at his best and keeps improving. The choice of a character doesent make one a scrub. Only the attitude does.

Thanks guys for this awesome conversation. Keep the wall of text comming :laugh:.

Mike35

Smash Cadet
Hmm, it seems that I may have misinterpreted his message then. If the hypothetical Yoshi main I made up is definitely not considered a scrub, and people realize that playing to win as Sirlin describes it isn't necessarily the "right" or "wrong" way to play or think (although it may be suitable for some and not others), then I don't really have any more questions or problems with the idea.

Sorry to disappoint you PityLord, but I will most likely not be writing any more walls of text. :p

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
Thanks, I'm glad we could have some intelligent discussion on this subject. I better understand some of your points now than I did before, but there are still a few things I disagree on. I might not reply to *everything* you wrote there, but it's only because if I did I'd end up repeating myself, not because I'm ignoring what you have to say.
Actually, I'm grateful for it, or this would quickly snowball into unmanageable, not walls, but fortresses of text :D I'm VERY bad when it comes to compressing my thoughts.

This is a good point. I better see what he was getting at now and I even agree that there's nothing wrong if that's the style he chooses. Although I will say it simply isn't my play style. I can see how those who try to exploit certain moves help the game evolve, though I'll always be the one trying to counter the move spamming, not the one doing it. If it turns out that the game rewards a style of play that I don't enjoy and I can't win without it, I'll probably move on to another game (unless the move is banned, like you mentioned as a possibility).
And that (moving on) is EXACTLY what Sirlin recommends in that case! The move would make the game broken, so either it's banned, or let's move on to another game.

Being able to both win and enjoy your style of game play are both very important to me. If for some reason I eventually felt it was impossible (or close to it) to win without playing a style that I personally hated, there's not much reason for me to continue.
Yep, I'm sure we all agree with this, including Sirlin. I don't think becoming bored with playing a certain way (or game!) to be scrub-like. To be specific:
a) avoiding using a play style because it bores you -> OK
b) avoiding using a play style because it's "cheap" / too powerful -> NOT OK
c) criticising someone's play style because it bores you -> NOT OK

That's what I think, at least, and I have the feeling Sirlin would agree.

All things said and done, becoming bored is counter-productive: you won't practice as much so you won't be competitive; in the tournaments themselves, you won't be as motivated or concentrated. Therefore playing something that bores you goes against playing to win. Again, this is my opinion.

Oh, I agree that it's not their job to put on a show for those watching them. I was basically saying that I could never enjoy that style of play. It's a boring style IMHO, even if I'm the one playing. As I mentioned above, I would attempt to use a more exciting or at least a bit more varied style, because I just wouldn't be satisfied winning games if the game wasn't fun for me. Although if some people enjoy styles I consider boring, more power to them. Who am I to ruin their fun?
Those are very wise words :). I suspect it's not that easy to know if a given playstyle is that boring until one triest it. That Guile VS Guile example is a good one. I haven't played Street Fighter since the early-mid-90's (!), but I remember that Guile vs Guile often turned into that kind of fighting. Still, it wasn't actually that boring! First of all, the Sonic Boom requires charging (holding back for a given amount of time, then pressing forward + punch).

The thing is, to throw a perfect Sonic Boom (especially when you're "spamming" them to keep the pressure), you want to hold back for the exact amount of time. If you release it too fast, you'll punch instead of Sonic Boom and most likely eat your opponent's SB. If you release it too slow (slower than your opponent), your opponent will slowly gain ground, forcing you into defensive. Think of it as Dragon Ball Z's beam struggles (yep, that was lame, but a good analogy, I think).

There's even another layer to take into consideration. Any player can choose to jump over his/her opponent's SB to try to land a jump-in attack. If the other Guile player is worth its salt, he/she'll counter with a Sommersault Kick (charge down, then up + kick; this charge can be overlapped with Sonic Boom's by holding the down/back diagonal). However, this means you can't be so lost in the Sonic Boom game that you lose reaction time to your opponent's jump-in.

As I said, this is how I remember it from playing it in the early nineties with my friends (no internet back then!). I'm sure right now there's many more layers on top of this, and most likely more than half of this doesn't apply anymore. My point is, it's not that easy to know if even YOU wouldn't be having fun playing that way beforehand, until you get there.

Ok, but what would happen if you did climb every mountain you could, and you enjoyed it so much "down there" that you wanted to stay there? That might be a little hard to believe (it even sounds odd to me as it stands ), so maybe an analogy would help show where I'm coming from.

If you have developed a style that's both innovative and enjoyable, not only are you no longer down there. It means you've discovered and climbed your very own mountain, which is the best a player can do. This gives you a huge advantage, both in "playing to win" terms and outside of it. In a sense, that is exactly Sirlin's style; he's not confortable mimicking others's styles, and generally researches to find new ones. Why, Rose's "low strong" is a perfect example. ^^

This is indeed playing to win, as long as you don't fall for the scrub-traps, of course. For example, say that on your exploration of Yoshi's potential, you find a move or combo that seems too good. Would you give up exploring and refining it further for the sake of fairness? Or will you try to learn everything you can about it and, more importantly, test it in tournaments to see if it holds? That is the more important question.

You know, that's a very good point. Sirlin never mentioned picking the best character in a game, and I know for a fact that he doesn't (he plays a LOT of underdog characters, for fun and for profit, more so than most competitive players in the scene, to my knowledge). However, in a strict "play to win" mentality, it would seem that devoting yourself to the single strongest character would be the best thing to do.

But is it? Sirlin is well aware of certain things. For one, he'll probably (and I'll certainly) never have the almost-superhuman reflexes that the crème de la crème players have. I think that he believes his best bet to be, not picking the most popular (and known) character and polishing his playstyle to a sheen like the top players have, but to pick less treaded characters and develop new and surprising techniques against which his opponents aren't as well prepared. This has proven to be pretty successful to him, with the added bonus of actually being gratifying and fun! He even talks a bit about this in his "NOT playing to win" article.

In the best case scenario, you will discover that your "underdog" character has some secret tactic (as mentioned before) that simply destroys anyone who's not prepared against it. Consider the rewards! Until your tactic becomes widespread knowledge (which is inevitable if you plan to actually use it), you'll have an awesome advantage going for you.

And there's even another point to be considered. What is a "best character"? Is it something absolute, predefined and static? Experience teaches us that each characters' consideration within the tier list change as time goes on and the metagame matures; most often slightly, sometimes dramatically (particularly early on in the cycle). We all know that, OK, but here's a point for consideration. By playing to win you have a chance to change the metagame yourself. You're much more likely to push the boundaries of your character of choice, particularly if you're really good and/or devoted. You're then not just becoming better, you're making everyone in the community better at that character.

This is why I think the "playing to win" philosophy MUST prosper. It's like a sword that cuts through what pins down good players, and in turn, good games. I can't become better by myself in a vacuum: I need you to play with your all, to pressure me into becoming better. If you hold yourself, we both suffer.

So I guess that brings me to this. Is winning everything? If some actually find more enjoyment playing "their way" as best they can than they do winning, is there any harm in that?
I think that there is a very important distinction to be made here, and that is "winning" versus "playing to win". Sirlin advocates "playing to win" as in giving everything and doing all that's in your hand to win, no holds barred. He doesn't actually talk about winning itself. In other words, it's OK if you play to win, but lose. For the record, I personally think most of the times there's so much more to be learn by losing than by winning... assuming you gave it your all. What he's saying is (and so many people miss that), that playing to win IS the most fun one can have with a game, in the long term. It's a somewhat paradoxical concept so it's not surprising that it's misunderstood.

You can, conversely, win, without actually playing to win (it happens all the time, actually!). Winning by itself doesn't mean you're playing to win.

Personally I think any reason to enjoy playing a video game, whether casually or at the highest level possible, is a good one. I get the impression from Sirlin's articles that the "scrub" is wrong while those who play purely to win are right (I could definitely be wrong on this so feel free to correct me). But I don't feel this way at all.
The scrub IS wrong mainly because of two things:
1) By using arbitrary "rules of conduct" he is limiting what he can do in a game and what he can learn. He'll never truly master the game and know the pleasure that is, not only to play, but to play at your fullest. I know it seems like there isn't that much difference: honestly, it's a bit hard to make someone who's still in the "scrub" mindset see this: I know, because I was one before, and I did defend it. It's only after "crossing the door" that you realize how limited you were both in options and, yes, in fun! For one, you stop thinking "is what I'm doing (or what the opponent is doing) cheap?", and that alone, is a HUGE weight. You're not noticing it now, I know, you can only realize it after you free yourself from it.

2) By imposing those rules on his opponent, he is limiting his opponents's game and fun. Probably, he'll be able to play against much fewer people, as only those that adhere to his rules (the other scrubs!) will agree to fight him. Even if he doesn't impose those rules on others, when confronted with someone that plays to win, he'll feel like the other is being cheesy. He'll be angry and/or feel superior to the other (the old "you couldn't have won if you played fair"). This way of thinking is poisonous, and not totally unavoidable.

It seems to me like there are just two separate view points and neither is right or wrong. People play for different reasons. Some play only to win, while others may have something else that drives them to play, which may cause them to play a bit differently than they would if winning was everything. This doesn't mean the second group doesn't want to win or play well. Only that their are other influences on their game than winning. I don't see any harm in holding either view point.
I think we're mixing concepts here. "Playing to win" doesn't mean "playing ONLY to win". It certainly doesn't mean putting fun aside: hell, the WHOLE objective of playing to win is to have the most fun possible with the game. Sirlin is saying just that: that by shedding "unofficial" rules and other such scrub paraphernalia, you'll end up having much more fun than you did before. The problem here is helping people realize the seemingly unlikely truth in that, which is what Sirlin tries to do in his writing. But for all the theoretical analysis in the world, you can only realize that it is indeed true if you actually try to play that way, and for that you need to give him credit and trust his words. It's a bit of a vicious circle.

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
I don't think Sirlin is trying to push the view that people who "play to win", by his definition, are right while those who "don't play to win" are wrong, so much as the "scrub", someone who believes that they are "playing to win" yet still limits themselves by self-imposed rules, is in the wrong in their view of what "playing to win" is. No where does he say that there is anything wrong with not playing to win, and no where does he say that those who don't play to win cannot still win or be skillful players.
For the record, I disagree with that. I think Sirlin is more... categorical than that and indeed, defines someone who's consciously or unconsciously not playing to win as a scrub (and frankly, so do I).

Of course you have the choice to play as you wish, in the same way that you have the choice to eat at McDonald's everyday. We'll respect it, but we'll still think it's simply not good for yourself.

PityLord

Smash Apprentice
Another great wall of text :laugh:. Im truly in heaven after all those stupid Brawl hate posts and ******** Brawl defenders with no real reason behind their words other then "cry more", "no more glitches" and crap.

I like how you adressed the Yoshi player situation WeltallZero. Mostly what I said only better. Hope to read more interesting posts like that of yours in the future.

2DLogic

Smash Cadet
For the record, I disagree with that. I think Sirlin is more... categorical than that and indeed, defines someone who's consciously or unconsciously not playing to win as a scrub (and frankly, so do I).

Of course you have the choice to play as you wish, in the same way that you have the choice to eat at McDonald's everyday. We'll respect it, but we'll still think it's simply not good for yourself.
I say that in a more casual versus competitive, "right and wrong" sense because I think a lot of people aren't differentiating the two; in a strictly competitive sense I agree with Sirlin and most of what you've said.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
Not in the scenario you described. For this player, his choice of Yoshi was simply a matter of preference; he has no qualms about playing the better characters based on self-imposed rules of "honor" or notions of them being unfair, he just prefers another character or play style to them. Had he come to his character choice by the logic that these other characters were "cheap", then he would be limiting himself by choosing to play someone other than the dominating characters.

Your anecdote about the Yoshi player reminds me of a different melee yoshi player who is a friend of mine. This person was a good player, in that, he understood and could execute the technical elements of melee. However, he could rarely win against players that were more skilled than him when playing his shiek & fox. He fell into a really bad rut at one point and started playing yoshi. He claimed it was because he simply liked the character more but he had a bad habit of excusing his losses with a "it's only because xxxx character you use is higher tier and I play Yoshi". Unfortunately, he regressed into a scrub and gave up trying to find new ways to win and simply limited his options... sad story.

Anyway back to the point you were making about playing to win. I think Sirlin was trying to say that the people who are "playing to win" were right and those who didn't were wrong. It is important to constantly remember the context of what he is saying. If two people are playing a game of Smash, the entire point of winning is to prove that their way of playing is more successful. If Player A happens to beat Player B by simply spamming one attack, he is "right" in the sense that his tactic was the winning one and Player B is "wrong" because his skills couldn't overcome it.

Sliq

Smash Master
There is just so much fail in this thread that I want to die.

xxheroxxX

Smash Rookie
;wow maximus that bible thing that is true o.o ;_; that was deep but im off topic... :-x

Tien2500

Smash Lord
So is it a crime not to want to be a competitive player? I have no interest in tournaments or being the bestest Smash Brothers player in the world. I play to have fun and I'm proud of it.

orintemple

Smash Lord
So is it a crime not to want to be a competitive player? I have no interest in tournaments or being the bestest Smash Brothers player in the world. I play to have fun and I'm proud of it.
Your proud that you play a game to have fun?

Wtf that isn't something to be proud of...
Playing a game period is not something to be proud of unless you are really good and win money.

Abdu

Smash Rookie
I'm so proud of you for overcoming that scrub mentality. Just the other day I owned a local Brawl tourney, and some scrub had the nerve to come over to me and say that "nobody respects pit or metaknight players" when he could only take 2 of my stocks out of 3 matches. The scrub will always try to bring you down to your level even when they don't deserve victory.

Hmm, I think its ironic how scrubs follow these made up rules and honor systems, but when losing act like complete jerks to people who dont follow them. Wouldnt it be honourable to be a gracious loser? Also, I dont belive there are really scrubs for the most part. I think most of them pretend to have this system because they can't deal with so called "cheap" players and would rather discredited them as dishonourable then learning to beat them.

Oh and great job

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
No, but it's really annoying when people decide that a particular character/tactic/whatever is cheap/lacking in showmanship/whatever and hold everyone to this standard is really annoying.

Not wanting to play competitively is fine, just don't randomly create rules off the top of your head and assume everyone follows them.

0r30

Smash Rookie

Playing a game period is not something to be proud of unless you are really good and win money.
Stupid people are gonna take you seriously and get up in your face about that. I hope you realize that. :p

I never usually have a scrub mindset, but earlier today, I thought my friend's way of playing a certain character was unbeatable. I guess I just have to try harder.

PityLord

Smash Apprentice
Everyone has a feeling that sometimes you cant take what the oponent is doing and it frustrates you a lot. i find myself frustrated when my bro plays to defensively. But then again I do the same later and he went frustrated himself :laugh:.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
Stupid people are gonna take you seriously and get up in your face about that. I hope you realize that. :p

I never usually have a scrub mindset, but earlier today, I thought my friend's way of playing a certain character was unbeatable. I guess I just have to try harder.
I think he had a point in saying playing for fun is nothing to be proud of. Granted, there is nothing wrong with playing the way you want. But taking pride in choosing mediocrity? However, in perspective, we are talking about a video game here. Taking pride in being a good gamer isn't much better, but at least you are striving to improve and can possibly make money from a game you love.

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
Hey, where are the walls of text? :ohwell:

I think I understand what he's saying, and I do feel the same way. To say that you're proud of something sometimes just means that you hold that dear and are not ashamed of it, which is good. I'm proud of being a nerd, for example. It's a different kind of pride from what I feel for being a good programmer, for example.

Hmm, I think its ironic how scrubs follow these made up rules and honor systems, but when losing act like complete jerks to people who dont follow them. Wouldnt it be honourable to be a gracious loser?
That's a very spot-on observation, I never thought of that. ^^ I guess their way of judging themselves is just another of their made-up rules.

Call me stupid, but I believe he IS serious, and I see nothing wrong with it.

That's the spirit!

0r30

Smash Rookie
Call me stupid, but I believe he IS serious, and I see nothing wrong with it.

Well, IMO, if the person is happy and proud to be a "scrub", then let them. As long as they enjoy it, really. I won't be playing that way, but don't go bashing them because they decide to stay a scrub. That's not what the article is about... it's about helping anybody who wants to overcome their scrubisness. If they are happy and proud about their accomplishments, whatever they may be, let them be. You can't convert everybody. :p

Onichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OniXiion
Not sure if this is truly relevant or a cause and effect of this thread, but I will have to admit this mentality changed me. Last night some good friends came over for a game of Brawl (general hanging out, but in my town there isn't much to do thus, it came back to Smash) and I had been playing as Pit, since Link's moveset changes no longer worked with my style (something to work on later) and I didn't like Toon Link. One of my friends plays Metaknight and i got tired of him gloating, so i selected Toon Link. He turns and looks as me "Are you sure? Your willingly selecting Toon Link?" I nodded and we go at it. There is the normal banter of being teamed up on (especially when the rounds degrade to 3 for alls) and the evening grants me more match wins then I normally receive, since I switch between Marth, T. Link, Pit and Kirby mainly to toss up my strategies, and remain unpredictable.

Another of the group looks at me and said "When did you get good with those characters, we knew you hopped around a bit, but you never crushed us like that... what happened?" So i looked him straight in the eyes and I said only this.

"Play to Win"

I then said i was going to a Tournament in Rancho Cucamunga on Saturday (tomorrow) and invited them all to ride with me, but they declined. I felt bad at first, not letting them know that the game had stepped up, but they should have seen it coming.

Past that... i have no regrets.

PityLord

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this is truly relevant or a cause and effect of this thread, but I will have to admit this mentality changed me. Last night some good friends came over for a game of Brawl (general hanging out, but in my town there isn't much to do thus, it came back to Smash) and I had been playing as Pit, since Link's moveset changes no longer worked with my style (something to work on later) and I didn't like Toon Link. One of my friends plays Metaknight and i got tired of him gloating, so i selected Toon Link. He turns and looks as me "Are you sure? Your willingly selecting Toon Link?" I nodded and we go at it. There is the normal banter of being teamed up on (especially when the rounds degrade to 3 for alls) and the evening grants me more match wins then I normally receive, since I switch between Marth, T. Link, Pit and Kirby mainly to toss up my strategies, and remain unpredictable.

Another of the group looks at me and said "When did you get good with those characters, we knew you hopped around a bit, but you never crushed us like that... what happened?" So i looked him straight in the eyes and I said only this.

"Play to Win"

I then said i was going to a Tournament in Rancho Cucamunga on Saturday (tomorrow) and invited them all to ride with me, but they declined. I felt bad at first, not letting them know that the game had stepped up, but they should have seen it coming.

Past that... i have no regrets.

Nice. I recon you had a badass look when you said the 3 magical words :laugh:.

Anyways I really hope that my planning of starting a competetive sceene of Brawl here in Poland will work so I can also strive to get better.

Tien2500

Smash Lord

Yeah you're right about that. To clarify I do not actively take place in "I play for fun" pride marches or go around boasting about it. Its an expression people. I think WeltallZero got it when he said I meant "not ashamed".

As for being proud of mediocrity... Well I just don't think Smash is a particularly important pursuit or something that I would care to put significant effort into improving in. (Not saying that I won't look in a thread or two for advice because like everyone I enjoy winning.) There are other aspects of my life in which I do try to strive beyond mediocrity but Smash isn't one of them. So I don't think being a mediocre Smash Brothers player is anything to be ashamed of.

Of course if Smash is one of the things you're passionate about then thats ok too. But there is definitely a certain level of eliteness on this site that I find a bit annoying. Here is the thing, Sirlin's speech was in a book. If you happen to buy that book (or even invest the time to reading it completely online) then you're the type of person who does want to compete in tournaments and takes pride in Smash Brothers. So I have no problem in Sirlin's speech when given to its intended audience. However the average person on Smashboards is not from that group so quoting Sirlin to them is kind of pointless. The average person does not need to overcome scrubness because the average person here will never seriously compete in Smash. So... what exactly are you trying to accomplish by lecturing people on their scrubness?

Onichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OniXiion
Nice. I recon you had a badass look when you said the 3 magical words :laugh:.

Anyways I really hope that my planning of starting a competetive sceene of Brawl here in Poland will work so I can also strive to get better.
I swore i did, it sure felt like I had a badass look.

and yes the best way to get better is to have people beat the skill into you

WeltallZero

Smash Cadet
But there is definitely a certain level of eliteness on this site that I find a bit annoying. Here is the thing, Sirlin's speech was in a book. If you happen to buy that book (or even invest the time to reading it completely online) then you're the type of person who does want to compete in tournaments and takes pride in Smash Brothers. So I have no problem in Sirlin's speech when given to its intended audience. However the average person on Smashboards is not from that group so quoting Sirlin to them is kind of pointless. The average person does not need to overcome scrubness because the average person here will never seriously compete in Smash. So... what exactly are you trying to accomplish by lecturing people on their scrubness?
I, too, think that there's a bit too much of eliteness in these boards for my tastes, but I guess there's no helping it, since this IS a community centered on "pro" smashing. It wouldn't hurt to respect others's skill levels and play styles a bit more (and that goes for both "pros" and "casuals"), but in the end, it's not nearly as bad as in other places, IMHO.

Anyway. Again, we're mixing two different things, the "play to win" mentality (versus the "scrub" mentality"), and one's actual skill level. These intuitively seem to be related, but actually aren't, and differentiating between them both is very important.

Again, you can be a lousy player with a "play to win" mentality. Take me, for example. I'm totally hopeless at Smash! No, it's not false modesty, I really suck at Smash. I think I've lost every single online match I've played via the SWFF! I simply don't have time to play a lot of Smash, and my chances to play against competitive opponents are very limited right now, being European </johns>.

However, that doesn't prevent me from playing to win, and having all the more fun for it. It's just a mentality, a mindset. It has only one rule: follow no rules. It doesn't require more of your time: if anything, it makes you learn faster, so it's the opposite.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure many professional competitors (not just at Smash, not just at videogames, but everywhere), even those with incredible skills and even those that regularly win first place, can fall into the "scrub" trap, occasionally or often. Heck, Sirlin gives several examples in his articles.

Sorry if it seems that I'm repeating myself, I just wanted to make that point clear: Playing to win is a mentality, and does not imply professional devotion or skill level per se. It's available to any and everyone as soon as you drop what's hindering you.

Top Bottom