• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overplayed?

Farnsworth

Smash Cadet
I have heard from a lot of people that Ike is overplayed. Can anyone verify this for me. Ike is by far my best character, but I never like being the "coolest" character that everyone plays. I don't know, maybe that's just me wanting to be overly original. I'm just wondering whether to train with another character or not.

Gill

Smash Journeyman
Play who you want to play as.

Don't let anybody influence that.

Period.

(Though I do understand how you feel.)

Station

Smash Cadet
If your on wifi and there isn't an Ike in the game you're obviously not playing the right game.

Seriously the majority of wifi users play as sword wielding characters, or Wario.

There are some characters you hardly ever seen online, havn't seen one ice climber, yoshi and a few more.

If you want to be original don't play Ike, but at the end of the day you can play as whoever you want.

Farnsworth

Smash Cadet
I know that it's my choice in the end, I just wanted to know if he was overplayed, which has been answered. I would play as Lucas, who I haven't seen a single one of online, but I'm afraid my brother has claimed him for whenever we play. I mean how lame would that be to play as that same toon as my brother, lol.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
There are only what, 35 characters in this game? It's going to happen. Out of all my Wi-Fi matches so far, I haven't faced and Ike yet though, odd.

Eddy01741

Smash Cadet
My FIRST online match (yestarday night, just got my pops to help me set up my wifi), there were FOUR ikes. Pure mayhem may I say, aether spamming, fsmash spamming, quick draw spamming. Yet, strangely enough, nobody except me used RAR+Bair, and I didn't even use it very often. In a 4 player FFA, no need to approach, just attack spam.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
you sound like a highschool girl wondering if her clothes are out of style.

Gill

Smash Journeyman
My FIRST online match (yestarday night, just got my pops to help me set up my wifi), there were FOUR ikes. Pure mayhem may I say, aether spamming, fsmash spamming, quick draw spamming. Yet, strangely enough, nobody except me used RAR+Bair, and I didn't even use it very often. In a 4 player FFA, no need to approach, just attack spam.
I think I spectated that match. o_o

I put my coins on the white-blue Ike.

I haven't faced any Kirbys, Warios, Zeldas, or PTs online. o_O

Eddy01741

Smash Cadet
If you were spectating, I was hte white-blue ike, and I got 4th place (meh, what can I say, first online match, and first 4 player FFA in brawl for me).

Farnsworth

Smash Cadet
you sound like a highschool girl wondering if her clothes are out of style.
Lol, I'm half-joking in the first place. The idea of not playing a character just because he's overplayed is ridiculous. The initial meaning of the post was wondering whether he was overplayed. Ike is my best character. If he's overplayed, so be it.

Ganon1

Smash Rookie
I've never liked playing the popular character, it's just so much fun to surprise your opponent by beating them with a "nobody" character

Trizzy

Smash Cadet
It's cuz Ike ***** in FFA and 2v2s. Anything where people have a lot more openings than usual. It's so easy... But those same Ike's you see on wi-fi probably suck at him 1v1. Spamming smashes and quickdraws won't win you any matches against anyone decent.

If you like Ike get good with his 1v1 game and **** wi-fi Ike spammers. My easiest matches have all been Ike dittos... Who cares if he's overplayed if YOUR Ike is the one that stands out.

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, pretty much doesn't matter if someone plays the same character as you. My friend's favourite character is Ike and we enjoy playing Ike dittos.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Ike is overplayed but from what I've seen alot of People don't know how to use him properly(myself Included :laugh:) but i may have become better with him now :laugh: ( beat level 9 Marth 4 stock in 3:45 seconds on my fastest run )

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
I figure a lot of people who aren't' very good at the game will sop using Ike, and we'll be left with the good palyers who use him right. Bu that's just my opinion.

You have to remember the huge amount of noobness that flooded this board about two months back. I'm certain they have given up by now. >_>

Still haven't gotten a reply from that *** Xtinction.

NotEz

Smash Journeyman
Umm...Ike is overplayed.

I did a with anyone match and i chose lucas. The other 3 people were all Ikes.

It was a team battle. I was lucas, my partner was ike. and we were against two Ikes.

3 ikes in one 4 player random match kind of proves that ike is overplayed.

kingofping4

Smash Cadet
The most overplayed that I've seen, in no particular order, are Ike, Marth, Metaknight, and Toon Link.

Over the past 2-3 days, not a single match has gone without at least one of these 4, usually at least 2. It's fun to win those matches with Bowser, DK, Ganon, or Wario. The best part is when I beat them as one of those "top 4", they switch to another and still lose!

I guess to be slightly more on topic, it is a nice surprise when I come against a good player with those "top 4." It makes the game more fun for me when the people I'm playing can put up a good fight and make me push myself to win. So play Ike, and play well. People will appreciate playing a skilled opponent, unless they think they'll auto-win by using a "high tier" character.

Boxob

Smash Champion
You can't suck as Ike, you wish people sucked as Ike so you could say you're just good as Ike. Ike is noob friendly. If you think you're 'really good' and you main Ike, chances are you're terrible. The end.

D

Deleted member

Lol, I'm half-joking in the first place. The idea of not playing a character just because he's overplayed is ridiculous. The initial meaning of the post was wondering whether he was overplayed. Ike is my best character. If he's overplayed, so be it.
You do ocassionaly get slag for playing an overplayed character :(. I remember that when I first came here NOBODY would believe that I settled on Marth for Melee just because my best buddy used Roy. I had to either think he was cool (not much), or high tiered (at the I was under the impression that clones = better than the original).

But I really don't really think there's any point in changing your play character because everyone else uses him/her, although you do get extra points for playing 'strange' characters like G&W.

Trizzy

Smash Cadet
You can't suck as Ike, you wish people sucked as Ike so you could say you're just good as Ike. Ike is noob friendly. If you think you're 'really good' and you main Ike, chances are you're terrible. The end.
Ike isn't noob friendly. He's a noob punisher.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
You're a noob. And your punishment should be to never post something that stupid again.
Wow...

Ike is not noob friendly. Noob friendly is Marth. They pick Ike, spam F-smash all over the place because it's ubar powerful, and get *****.

Noobs can not play Ike, for the most part. Ike requires predictions and capitalizing on mistakes, something a lot of casual players have no idea about.

Boxob

Smash Champion
Wow...

Ike is not noob friendly. Noob friendly is Marth. They pick Ike, spam F-smash all over the place because it's ubar powerful, and get *****.

Noobs can not play Ike, for the most part. Ike requires predictions and capitalizing on mistakes, something a lot of casual players have no idea about.
Noobs can play Ike just fine, that's why he's overplayed.

kthxbai.

aznxk3vi17

Smash Cadet
I see an Ike in about every other match, not including when I use him. Twice last night, I was in matches with 3 Ikes and one other. Most Ikes I've seen are terrible though - one literally only used C-stick Forward Smash the entire round. Another alternated between Aether and Quick Draw.

Probably the most common character I see online.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I only ever see Ikes in FFA and Teams...

But, when you go on FF and get some 1v1 going, you'll discover that the majority of players stay away from Ike. I'm seeing more good **** Picachu's 1v1 than anything...

Don't worry about being "overused". I think Ike is going to be rare in Touraments and 1v1 play. Marth will chosen over because people love his speed.

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
I always thought Ken and Azen were noobs too.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
I see a lot of Ikes. As an Ike player myself it kind of bugs me.

Generally it's probably because he has so much KO potential in FFA that people will play him and spam moves. A lot of newbies just like to spam powerful moves and with Ike that means specials and smashes. But really I wouldn't let it bug you too much. Practice with Ike and learn how to use him with some actual finesse and you can easily start beating a lot of the spammer Ike's online.

Most Ike spammers leave a lot of easy openings you can punish gratuitously.

Deathmethod

Smash Rookie
I believe Trizzy's first post says it the best:

It's cuz Ike ***** in FFA and 2v2s. Anything where people have a lot more openings than usual. It's so easy... But those same Ike's you see on wi-fi probably suck at him 1v1. Spamming smashes and quickdraws won't win you any matches against anyone decent.

If you like Ike get good with his 1v1 game and **** wi-fi Ike spammers. My easiest matches have all been Ike dittos... Who cares if he's overplayed if YOUR Ike is the one that stands out.
Although I would like to say that Ike doesn't really suck at 1v1, unless people online are really that bad with him (routers broken, no wifi :( ).

I have a group of friends and all we do is play smash, they have been playing SSBM constantly for the past 2 years until Brawl came out. Since Brawl has been out we play everyday for at least 5-6 hours probably (nerds, but who cares?). A few days ago we had a 1v1 bout because people were getting tired of FFA. I was playing Ike and some of the other characters there were Marth, ZSS, Falco, Lucario, Fox, Shiek, and Pit. I beat every character there except Lucario. My friends aren't exactly what I would call noobs either. It's all about spacing and mindgames. Making them think that you are slower than you are.

Anyways, I can't really say he isn't overplayed, but I plan to make mine stand out over the crowd.

Kailex

Smash Rookie
I use Ike all the time, and realistically, everyone should stop complaining over spammers. Let them use there techinique the way they feel, and you use yours. If you feel there just noobs trying to get the quick kill, that's fine and sometimes accurate. But you got to remember that there's freedom of choice in this game. Let them do them, you do you, don't complain, just destroy them.

Quote from a NYU professor- 'To show recoginition is to give power, to ignore and move on, is to show you are above the other.'

Ignore the idea of spamming, get over it. Ike is not overplayed by the way, you cant overplay a character. It's impossible. Thats like, you going to Will Smith saying your overplayed, It's up to Will Smith to decide if he's overplayed. If you think Ike has some imaginary feelings that pops' out at you before you pick him and he tells you with his high pitched voice "STOP PLAYING ME, IM TIRED" then you got problems. You cant overplay an imaginary character. That's like saying, your hurting him. Quick get a knife and stab the screen.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Do you even know what N00b friendly even mean?

Zero%

Smash Cadet
well i too was asking myself if i should stop using ike cuz over use but i love ike anyways so im gona try just to be the better ike

Top Bottom