• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overswarm's get everyone better really freaking fast project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenki

Smash Hero
This is true. However... if you're that close it is such a rarity that I didn't count it. That's like saying you can DI out of D3's dair if you are above him and get hit with only a tiny part of it; it's kind of a 'duh' thing that is really rare.
iono.. some Snakes like to F-tilt OOS, especially if you roll behind them :ohwell:

I have a few questions /notes (for everyone):
- Where to DI for Zelda's U-smash?
- If you DI forward through Zelda's F-smash after getting touched by a certain part of it (the front tip?), you're pretty much trapped. I've SDI'd BEHIND Zelda from the F-smash and still got launched. Up is probably the best way to go.

- Just an idea, but since DI up+towards Sheik during F-tilt sets you up for a U-tilt, how does SDI down+away work? Maybe the Sheik did it wrong, but I managed to shield between tilts.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
very nice thread Overswarm, i really like the idea. I noticed that a few pages back there was some confusion whether or not thunder was a multi hit move. it can be under strange circumstances, like using thunder so that it hits you when you are right on top of the ledge, and a person has grabbed on. here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtrdY5-jOw

this particular case has hapened twice for me. it also has happened on stage, where someone runs into the bottom of it and get hit 2-3 times. I still dont have a concrete explanation yet.

gallax

Smash Hero
this trick with multiple thunder hits baffles me. ive looked at this vid at least 50 times and i just cant explain it. the only thing that seems plausible is that the knockback from the first thunder hit sends the opponent directly upwards and when the hitstun wears off they get hit again. but this is a rare thing to get hit by multiple thunders.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
very nice thread Overswarm, i really like the idea. I noticed that a few pages back there was some confusion whether or not thunder was a multi hit move. it can be under strange circumstances, like using thunder so that it hits you when you are right on top of the ledge, and a person has grabbed on. here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtrdY5-jOw

this particular case has hapened twice for me. it also has happened on stage, where someone runs into the bottom of it and get hit 2-3 times. I still dont have a concrete explanation yet.
It looks to me like that was a nair after the thunder, not an additional hit of thunder.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
If you listen and watch there are 2 thunder hits then a nair. watcht the damage- it goes 93-102 then to 124. unless nair magically does 22 damage, which i honestly wouldnt mind, itis consistent with 2 thunders and a nair. if you want more obvious proof, look at the last kill here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cY3TzCgRmY. same situation, except thunder hit 3 times with a nair. 102-146 damamge? in both of thse the final thunder hit came at nearly the exact same time as the nair. if you listen though each thunder hit has its own unique sound.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'd always thought that when Pikachu uses Thunder (such that the lightning bolt touches Pikachu), he gets a hitbox on his body, separate from the lightning itself. If this is the case, then the Pikachu hitbox is for some reason (bad smash-DI?) sending them up where they can get hit by the thunder hitbox.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
the thing is though he gets hit 3 times in the second video..... and even though i have no vids of it (i am waiting for it to happen again so i can record it) a lone bolt that doesnt touch me has hit multiple times.....im trying to figure out why at this time.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Maybe the thunder itself is composed of multiple hitboxes? That wouldn't surprise me. Though it would take some bad DI to get into more than one or two.

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
Ok, so officially I am starting right....NOW on going thorugh all the multi-hit moves posted
by you guys (the community involved) on this thread. I will comence testing right....NOW.

I plan on getting as much information as possible first, then posting it as text, then translating
everything into idiot-proof videos on Youtube.

Of course when I say now, i mean after Sept. 20th when my huge paper is due for school!

So yeah, this is yet another bump for this thread. ^_^

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
If you listen and watch there are 2 thunder hits then a nair. watcht the damage- it goes 93-102 then to 124. unless nair magically does 22 damage, which i honestly wouldnt mind, itis consistent with 2 thunders and a nair. if you want more obvious proof, look at the last kill here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cY3TzCgRmY. same situation, except thunder hit 3 times with a nair. 102-146 damamge? in both of thse the final thunder hit came at nearly the exact same time as the nair. if you listen though each thunder hit has its own unique sound.
Is this like Mr. G&W being able to fully load his bucket in one shot when he jumps into a Pikachu that thunders when on a platform?

The plausible explanation is that thunder's electricity has multiple hitboxes, that send an opponent up diagonally...if the opponent is below Pikachu when the thunder hits Pika, the opponent does not go far enough away to escape the multiple hits of the thunder

BentoBox

Smash Master
The problem I have with DIing is that I can never react fast enough. It's almost like you have to see hits coming to react accordingly. I mean, MK's f-air lasts less than a second and yet people manage to DI out of its last hit? =/ Same thing when someone lands that killing blow on me, most of the time, you get hit when you least expect it and that element of surprise is what keeps me from having frame perfect DIing reaction. Any tips lol? I'll try to sandbang my next couple of matches and just focus on DIng properly or something =p~

Mighty_mo76

Smash Apprentice
Well, you pretty much just answered your own question.

Being able to predict when the opp is going to attack has a lot to do with smash DI reaction time.

But hey, experience will definitely help. Make it a point to focus on your DI during matches.

Your not alone. It's is kinda hard to focus on so many things, and now there's all the SDI!

BTW sandbagging = good. ^_^

Ijuka

Smash Ace
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QIm00tNHZlg

Hers the video i mean to post skip to around 2:16?
I am more than aware that, that is teching but DI was input to tech to the wall? right?

****EDIT****
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HdUeaC7M3oo

I realize that this is a TAS video but forward to 2:35. At first glance it looks like a tech.

But then forward to about 3:50 and you will see what happens in slow motion, mario moves in a zigzag pattern up and down, basically thats the jist right, nothing to this extreme, but essentially that's what it is right?
Ken is just holding up and towards the stage after the up B and teching. No need to smash DI. Teching is really easy in Melee. You just gotta hold up and towards the stage to tech almost anything.

Is quarter circle DI in Brawl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWAjYxGTmr4

the last one, "Major European DI" is quarter circle smash DI...does this exist? maybe it is related to what you're talking about, Delorted
At least I do this by smash DI-ing either down or down-towards the stage. Not sure which. Then circling the control-stick really fast to up-towards the stage. I think I survived samus's fully charged charge shot at around 300% with this.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
People have stupid names for things.

There is normal DI, Smash DI (smashing the stick the frames you are in hitstun from neutral) and quarter circle (several inputs by rotating the control stick).

Nothing else, just extensions of those.

In Melee, you could crouch cancel and then smash DI up and towards the stage incredibly fast, thus reducing knockback by CCing and then DIing in. CCing is no longer in the game, so this is not possible.

Ijuka

Smash Ace
People have stupid names for things.

There is normal DI, Smash DI (smashing the stick the frames you are in hitstun from neutral) and quarter circle (several inputs by rotating the control stick).

Nothing else, just extensions of those.

In Melee, you could crouch cancel and then smash DI up and towards the stage incredibly fast, thus reducing knockback by CCing and then DIing in. CCing is no longer in the game, so this is not possible.
Hmm yeah >_> guess it's CC then although I always timed it to be smash-DI. That's how it's done in any case <_< And I never said it works in brawl.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I think this thread is learning the correct DI for everything.

speaking of which,

What's the best direction to DI/SDI for Peach D-air?

ThrillCkr419

Smash Rookie
Sorry but i'm still a little (well a lot actually) confused about di maybe someone could clarify? for all of these i am refering to brawl DI only (no other games)

Tell me if I'm understanding you correctly, for Smash DI instead of Csticking to the direction you want to go then letting it return to neutral then Csticking to the direction you want to go, then neutral, etc.; you can just rotate around the outer region in the general direction you want to go rather than having to return to neutral in order to be allowed another input? (for example if I was trying to get out to the top right I would rotate the Cstick from 12 o'clock to 3 o'clock back to 12 o'clock etc.?)
Basically all you have to do for smash DI to work is have the Cstick moving?

If I'm way off please try to explain it in a more noob friendly way.
^^^this was asked and i don't know the answer

How many differen't types of Di are ther in brawl? automatic, normal, smash, and quarter cirlce?...anything else?

what is the most effective form of di? is it smash di?

what is the most effective way to smash DI?...mash cstick and control stick, alternate, same time, or something else?

for smash DI do you flick the control stick, mash it like you do for MK's IDC, move it back and forth like in a dash dance?..or some way i don't know about?...which way is the most effecient?

what quarter stick cirle in brawl?

for quarter circle DI do you use the c stick and control stick?

for quarter circle DI you only go 1/4 of the circle(in the general direction you want like mentioned above) not a full circle right?

for quarter circle DI do you go back and forth along that quarter circle..which is most effecient? can you combine quarter circle and smash di (using 2 sticks)?

is it possible to di upwards?

Whatever the most effective directional influnce is (from above) what is the most effective way to use it?

I don't know if this is di or not but in training mode on pokemon stadium 1 i was marth and the cpu was DK. When the stage changes so that the stuff is on fire i was on the porch of the house and donkey kong was to the left in the little indent in the ground. I kept on tippering fsmashes on him and he was staying still (very small change in motion) until about 200 he went flying? is that good di or something else?

when you see the periods after a question that is usually what i thought the answer was so feel free to correct me

sorry about the grammar...and if this was the longest question ever tell me (i wasn't aiming for it)

tldr : answer any of the questoins above that you can because i doubt many people will know all of them

basic summary: i don't know squat about di...and this felt like the appropriate place to ask (plus it needed a bump)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I abandoned this project when I realized I could just play Metaknight and not really worrying about fancy DI.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I abandoned this project when I realized I could just play Metaknight and not really worrying about fancy DI.
That means this thread should be geared towards teaching people how to play metaknight well. Also giving us reasons why we wasted the last couple of months on our mains and how it would be better for us just to switch to metaknight.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That means this thread should be geared towards teaching people how to play metaknight well. Also giving us reasons why we wasted the last couple of months on our mains and how it would be better for us just to switch to metaknight.
Actually, that's not a bad idea. I might make you guys a video on how to play metaknight effectively.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Overswarm's get everyone better really freaking fast project

...Yeah. Just pick up MK. You'll get MUCH better REALLY freaking fast.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I suppose you're being a little facetious, but you're really ticked about Metaknight, huh?
Actually, that's basically how it went.

I put this project on hold while researching into how to beat Metaknight, found I just needed to pick MK himself, and then I didn't need to further this project nor cared enough about Brawl to continue it.

But yes, Metaknight does enrage me.

XienZo

Smash Lord
You really want him banned don't you. Perhaps more than any other single informed person in the community does?

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Actually, that's basically how it went.

I put this project on hold while researching into how to beat Metaknight, found I just needed to pick MK himself, and then I didn't need to further this project nor cared enough about Brawl to continue it.

But yes, Metaknight does enrage me.
no johns...

infomon

Smash Scientist
Being the most active at encouraging the community to approve a ban, is not the same as wanting him banned the most. Just that OS is the most proactive at getting something done about it. This could say more about his own sense of responsibility and community involvement, than some personal, ulterior motive about wanting a ban.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You really want him banned don't you. Perhaps more than any other single informed person in the community does?
There are probably a few others, but I'm up there. I'm definitely the most proactive. Having played Melee specifically to prepare for Brawl, being involved with the community as a whole and starting up multiple projects such as this (including www.overswarm.com for Melee), etc., etc., I think you can kind of see how I'm used to fixing things and making changes.

BentoBox

Smash Master
I don't see how the implementation of wavedashing/l-c in brawl modifies the mechanics of DIing in any way o.o"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom