• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overswarm's House Tournament for Wii U!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
First Wii U house tournament was a success! 22 entrants for singles, 10 teams for doubles and entrants from Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana, Texas, and Washington.

For those viewing this results thread, this was all pools. Top 3 made it out of first round pools, top 3 made it out of second round pools, and top 4 got money for singles in the final pool of 6. $5 entry.

Singles Results:

Final Round of pools:
1st - :4duckhunt: Joey (5-0 sweep of pools! First ever at a house tournament)
2nd - :4metaknight: Katakiri (4-1)
3rd - :4megaman: Kel (2-3)
4th - :4megaman::4dk:Overswarm (2-3)
5th - :4ness: Amida (1-4)
6th - :4bowser: Infern (1-4)

Second Round of pools:

Pool A
1st - :4megaman: Overswarm (4-1)
2nd - :4duckhunt: Joey (4-1)
3rd - :4bowser: Infern (3-2)
4th - :4greninja: Kero (3-2)
5th - :4bowserjr: Smash64 (1-4)
6th - :4dedede::4littlemac: Travesty (0-5)

Pool B

1st - :4megaman: Kel (4-1)
2nd - :4metaknight: Katakiri (4-1)
3rd - :4ness: Amida ( 3-2)
4th - :4zss::4ganondorf: Y.b.M. (3-2)
5th - :4villager: :4robinm:Hilt (1-4)
6th - :rosalina::4peach: Kassandra (0-5)

First Round of pools:

Pool A

1st - :4metaknight::4wario2:Katakiri (4-0)
2nd - :4bowser: :4myfriends:Infern (3-1)
3rd - :4dedede::4littlemac:Travesty (2-2)
4th - :4fox: Squid (1-3)
5th - :4lucario::4zss::toonlink: LunaSwarm (0-4)

Pool B

1st - :4villager::4robinm: Hilt (4-1)
2nd - :4greninja: Kero (4-1)
3rd - :4bowserjr:Smash64 (3-2)
4th - :4ness: Daycia (3-2)
5th - :4jigglypuff: Composer (1-4)
6th - :4mario:? JDB (0-5)
Pool C

1st - :4sheik::pit: Joey (4-0)
2nd - :4megaman: Kel (3-1)
3rd - :4zss::4ganondorf: Y.b.M. (2-2)
4th - :pit:Dr. X (1-3)
5th :sheik: Mazha (0-4)
Pool D

1st - :4megaman: Overswarm (5-0)
2nd - :rosalina::4peach: Kassandra (3-2)
3rd - :4ness: Amida (3-2)
4th - :4rob: Tako (2-3)
5th - :rosalina: Lumpy Gravy (2-3)
6th - :4zss:? Quintana (0-5)

Doubles bracket:

1st - :4megaman: Kel & :4megaman::4bowser: Overswarm
2nd - :4greninja: Kero & :4ness: Amida
3rd - :4kirby::4zss: Y.b.M. & :4bowser: Infern
4th - :4villager: Hilt & :4pit::4sheik:Joey
5th - :4bowserjr: Smash & :4ness: Daycia
5th - :4metaknight: Katakiri & :rosalina: Kassandra
7th- :4pit: Dr. X & :4rob: Tako
7th - :4dedede::4littlemac: Travesty & :rosalina: LumpyGravy
9th - :4fox: Squid & :4jigglypuff: Composer
9th - :4zss::4lucario: LunaSwarm & :4mario::4lucario: JDB

Fun facts:

In singles pools, there were 10 total ties! That means the pools were pretty close for a lot of the tournament.

The most difficult first round pool (based on the pool results after the first round of pools) was Pool C. Containing both Joey and Kel (1st and 3rd placements), it was an early death pool.

The easiest pool based on pool results after the first round of pools was actually one of the tensest and most competitive! Pool B had no one make to the final pool, but had a tie for first/second place AND a tie for 3rd/4th place! Daycia lost to Kero 1-2 and, had she won, she would have received first seed with Hilt and Kero having 2nd and 3rd. Instead she was eliminated and Hilt got 1st seed by beating Kero in their heads up tie and Smash 64 got 3rd seed.

Both Kel and myself bested both the second and third seeds in the second round pools, but ended up losing to the second seeds in the final round pool! A definite reversal of fortune for the two megamans. :(

In the final pool, Joey went 5-0 and was the first person to ever do so in the final pool of the tournament! He dropped one game to myself and one game to Katakiri, but no other games and no sets. I myself went to game three in every set and went Donkey Kong to win a game versus Kel -- the only time going non-Megaman in singles.

Throughout the tournament, :4duckhunt: Joey lost only one set -- to me, Overswarm! He had a final set score of 13-1, for a end score of 12.

:4metaknight: Katakiri had a set score of 12-2, for an end score of 10. He lost to Joey and Kel.

:4megaman: Kel had a set score of 9-5, for an end score of 4. He lost to Joey twice, Katakiri, Infern, and Y.b.M.

:4megaman: Overswarm had a set score of 11-4, for an end score of 7. He lost to Joey, Katakiri, Kel, and Kero. He has still not beaten Kero in a singles set.

:4ness: Amida had a set score of 7-8, for an end score of -1. He lost to Joey, Katakiri twice, Kel twice, Overswarm twice, and Kassandra

:4bowser: Infern had a set score of 7-7, for an end score of 0. He lost to Joey twice, Katakiri twice, Overswarm twice, and Amida

Both Amida and Overswarm had one extra set played in tournament due to their first round pool having one more player in it than the others.

Every player in the final round of pools save for Joey, Infern and Katakiri lost to someone who was NOT in the final round of pools (Y.b.M., Kero, kassandra all took a set). The only player who did not lose at least two sets was Joey -- this is a pretty good indicator that all pools is a better method of skill checking!

Good job to all of the people who made it to the final round of pools. These tournaments are stacked.

Doubles was a bracket so we had more time for singles pools and for the first time since Smash 4's release, the Kel&Overswarm team dropped their first set to Kero & Amida in Grand Finals. We managed to take it back and win the tournament, but still dropped our first set. :|

The stagelist:

Starter Stages
Skyloft
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Battlefield
Town and City
Smashville
Final Destination

Counterpick Stages
Duck Hunt
Kongo Jungle 64
Pokemon Stadium 2
Mario Circuit (Wii U)
Big Battlefield (Doubles Only)
Wuhu Island (Doubles Only)
Omega Stages*

We used an experimental stage striking process (2-3-2-1 instead of 1-3-3-1 or 1-2-3-2 or the like) because I was curious. I found very little issue with striking first (which should be a definite advantage); this could be just due to the early nature of the game, but overall I found the slight disadvantages of striking first in the process to be relatively minor. It's still not a GOOD choice in how to stage strike, but it worked well enough.

Big Battlefield, Wuhu Island, and Pokemon Stadium 2, to my knowledge, were not picked once in doubles or singles.

Duck Hunt and Kongo Jungle 64 were selected fairly rarely, Mario Circuit was a common CP and a common ban from what I observed.

The most common CPs I saw were the FD/Smashville/Town&City combo or Skyloft/Delfino/Halberd. Seeing the disparity between certain players wanting moving stages and certain players wanting the long flat stages was pretty enlightening to me.

Lylat, Castle Siege, and Battlefield were all particularly rare stages. I don't believe Castle Siege was picked this tournament as a starter, but cannot be sure.

The most common stage striking choices were Skyloft, Smashville, Town and City from what I saw. Those who liked 'moving stages' were not a fan of Castle Siege and those who liked flat+plat stages were not a fan of Lylat, typically speaking. Those who preferred flat+plat would typically strike Lylat in favor of going to a stage like Halberd or Skyloft, despite their differences and those who preferred moving stages would strike Castle Siege early in favor of going to Smashville or Town&City.

Smashville and Town & City still basically represented themselves as the same stage; I didn't see any evidence of people wanting one in particular but not the other. This is worrisome overall as its essentially a "multiple FDs" type problem but there are significant differences to the stages. Still early yet though.

I preferred the 9 stage striking quite a bit -- I heard some grumbling about people not getting preferred stages, which was fantastic because no one should get a preferred stage in a proper stage striking system unless both players prefer that stage. I didn't like how it was somewhat difficult to have people remember what was struck and it was more difficult than it should be to use the random stage select for stage striking. I think in the future TOs need to make sure their stage list is in the same order the random stage select is to help people find stages faster.

Huge Congratulations To LumpyGravy

Who won the amiibo tournament!

He won this poster:

And Link bead art:

The amiibo tournament was an 8-player, 3 stock free for all on a random stage (which turned out to by Hyrule Temple!) and everyone wrote down 1st through 8th. After the match, if you got a placement right you got one point. Three people tied with 3 points, getting 3/8 correct - Mazha, Tako, and LumpyGravy.

A 1 stock 8 man FFA in the same process but this time only with the 3 tied players competing occurred! The random stage was originally Bridge of Eldin, but the stock hadn't been changed! The new stage selected (due to a 2-1 vote from the remaining 3 asking for a new random) was Duck Hunt.

In BOTH games the winner was a Link named Zelda, owned by LunaSwarm. The final stage on Duck Hunt ended with Kero's Yoshi amiibo and LunaSwarm's Link amiibo both at high percent.... and the Yoshi camped! He continually ran away for over a minute, at one point getting a clutch f-tilt in, but eventually succumbing to the grab-happy Link amiibo.

All of the pops were consumed at this tournament. ALL of them. 24 cokes, 12 dr. peppers, 12 barqs root beer, 12 spirtes. At 140, 150, 160, and 140 calories per can, that's 8,760 Calories consumed solely in liquid form by 23 people - essentially 380 calories per person. That doesn't account for the snacks (all consumed but 1/4th a bag of Lays, a half-consumed bag of smoked squid, 1/3rd of a bag of whole grain cheez-its) or pizza (4 large, 1 extra large)!

I had a ton of fun with this! There was good character and stage variety and plenty of food, fun, and friendlies. I hope you guys all come out for the next one of these... whenever that is!

Last edited:

Kel

Smash Master
Joey actually didn't use Duck Hunt in first round of pools. He used Pit and Sheik.

Thanks for hosting!

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
This was a wonderful tournament! Great job running it, Overswarm! (:

You have Katakiri as 3-2 in final round of pools and I know he lost to Kel in second round, but at the end you say this:

"Katakiri had a set score of 12-2, for an end score of 10. He lost to Joey and Kel."

Who was the second person Katakiri lost to in the final pool?

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
I'm gonna upload all the replays saved to my WiiU over the next few days--unfortunately, replays do not display tags, so I'm not gonna be 100% sure who ya'll are right away, so lemme know so I can edit the info!

Top Bottom