• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overture 5 - Vancouver, BC - Jan 30th 2010: Street Fighter 4, Melee, Brawl

corbinvenida

Smash Apprentice
Okay first off, don't patronize me. I know who Superboom is, and a bunch of other players you mentioned as well. <_<

Firefly isn't the best out of us, he's probably 3rd, behind me and Breez, and there's a few players like LFL and Asadelta that have really been improving through the Brawl tourneys and smashfests we've had lately and are starting to catch up to the top 3 of our group.

And how many of those top 5-10 players you've mentioned still play Brawl, even in their own area? <_< Last I heard Ptrozz and Dynamism were kinda dropping from the scene (although iirc Dynamism said he was contemplating getting back into Brawl), although I admit I know next to nothing about the Vancouver Island Brawl players, but I know that some of them, although I don't think anybody you listed, are coming to some of the Brawl tourneys in 2010 so hopefully I'll learn more about them then.

Aside from that, there's the assumptions of our skills again... :/ No doubt you've listed some talented players, but you can't just assume that all of these players would be able to walk all over us that easily. <_<

Ced/Corbin/TwilightShadow are definitely not the best UBC Smashers, no offense to them intended. I've played Brawl with all of them. TwilightShadow could definitely be a contender if he got back into Brawl, but since Asadelta and I haven't been attending the CVGA meetings lately I know that he hasn't really had anybody to practice against in Brawl. Ced and Corbin are both working their way back into Brawl, but they have a ways to go.

...Are you purposely trying not to namedrop him or something? Pretty sure everyone knows exactly who you're talking about. Anyways, I have no doubt he would do well, probably even be the top player still, but it's irrelevant if he never plays Brawl again, honestly.

I can't tell whether the main point of your post is to say "These are the players that are way better than you, gg give up brawl" or "Well I would tell them to join a Brawl tournament but they all have circumstances" or some mixture of the two, so I'll just reply to them both.
1) Assumptions. Plz don't.
2) Thanks for the info, we're definitely making progress with getting Vancouver Island and Okanagan players to our Brawl tourneys here in the Lower Mainland (not Overture as much, but to the ones we're hosting in Abbotsford), hopefully they'll get big enough that more of the top players there will want to travel, and I guess we'll either see "14 year old David" sometime or we won't.

Also I won't money match you 'cuz you'd beat me down terribly, but I'd love to have the opportunity to have some SSB64 friendlies with you, I'm really trying to get back into SSB64 before TourneyPlay 4 rolls around XD
yeah, its hard getting back into brawl, that **** just got more real. But im hoping in the next couple of tourneys i can get my groove back. Its cool to see all these new tricks and **** i didnt see when i played a lot. Too bad Toronto forced me to do more life related issues, like getting an education or finding a job. But for someone who doesn't really give a **** about this and just goes cause i rather play for fun than anything else, i think i do aight.

But anyway, this thread it ********. so much E-Thuggin. E-Stabbin, E- UFCing threatin, E-Starcraft beefin,

HATE HATE HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE.

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
i was bluffing, thats why i lost with so many fuking chips last night to tiep and evan

we said we would go if the conditions met. me and eric have yet to receive a response from you or any of the representatives. you mentioned that the venue would probably be lowered to 8, theres also the thing where we asked for only 3 TVs (from your side) for melee events only, that we would also try to bring our own TVs and system. I also have PMed you and msged you on msn about having melee events start as early as noon / 1pm so we can get more events done, but I have yet to get an answer from you.

Excluding the venue condition, you pretty much run the rest of the events on your own. these last couple of requests are somthing you can decide, not CVGA. if you can get a big room with the same cost of a small classroom/ lecture, im sure we will have enough place for all of us (melee), and all of you (brawl + SF4) to run the tournaments.
My apologies for not responding sooner... i was at a party as it is new years. CVGA provides me with 6 CRTs that i split between melee and brawl, when the tournaments are one after another they usually run 4 for 1 game and the other 2 are set for casuals for either game. and Vice versa depending on which is the main event at the time. This is basically completely external from the SF4 scene. On that note, CVGA should be able to provide you with 3 CRTs if that is what is required for your attendance.

I understand that i have "grouped" melee and brawl together collected as "smash" in my reports to the financial officer which is why the numbers don't look as good when compared to SF4. I'm not sure if thats really "fair".

As for Tiep's comments, i understand where you're coming from about all the tournament hype for OV3 and your dissapointment. But to be honest, i rarely "blame" anyone but i think i'm going to have to put at least a little bit of blame on the "fashionably late" attendees for melee. About 10 of the brawl players that were there wanted to play more, and were ready to join a melee tournament "just for the hell of it" but when 6pm rolled by... "lets go get food / i gotta go home for _____" because a much more prominent choice. This ultimately left me with 2 choices, start the tournament without this group of veteran melee players or wait for what i thought would be at least 10 more meleers. Yes my expected attendance was approximately 40 people for OV3, with about 25 people for singles for both brawl and melee (considering the overlap). Instead i think my tournament entries for singles were only about 15. Ontop of that i'm looking and i don't think you entered yourself tiep... I was asked to make Smash cost more for singles, i'm fine with reducing it back to 10 for singles and 5+5 for Doubles. That for sure is completely within my power.

Hopefully i can provide melee players with what they need but so far i've just been getting request after request and YES i have been fulfilling them (to the best of my ability) but i'm not getting that desired results... a frustrated TO? Indeed

If you guyz can take this to heart that would be awesome. For sure your reasons for OV5 being hard to "go to" in general are understood but please don't decide you don't want to come just because of this thread going haywire. Jack once told me that his "life" was dedicated to games, that made me realize that if hes willing to do so much for a game he doesn't really play that much, the least i can do is host tournaments for melee players to come to. I felt as if i was trying to do melee players a favor by giving them a place to have tournaments. If i am mistaken than i have wasted a lot of people's time and effort and i apologize in advance. Thanks for all the support thus far, especially eric and adam you guyz have been top teir. To all the attendees of past OV tournaments i sincerely hope that you enjoyed your tournament experience. If i can do something to make attendance go up i will definately do so.

Happy New Year

Patooty

Smash Ace
Ryan and I left before singles started because it looked like singles wasn't going to finish, and also I had other plans for the night. Singles didn't finish, as expected, so I'm glad I didn't trash my other plans for it...

As for latecomers, we need to decide what to do about that right now. **** happened last time. We need to learn from that to prevent it from becoming a recurring problem.

unityole

Smash Lord
Ryan and I left before singles started because it looked like singles wasn't going to finish, and also I had other plans for the night. Singles didn't finish, as expected, so I'm glad I didn't trash my other plans for it...

As for latecomers, we need to decide what to do about that right now. **** happened last time. We need to learn from that to prevent it from becoming a recurring problem.
donno how thats gonna work out really, so many tournaments at sfu, there are always people show up late. just a bad habit, unless some real good players show up and hype the event, they will not make it on time.

ie, washington players, but then again they are late most of the time, or all of the time.

breez

Smash Ace
Sorry for not adding to the current convo - but does anyone know any SFU burnaby melee players that I can hang out with? I've got like 2-3 friends up here right now - so that would be pretty cool :D

edit: Also, happy new year, i'm hungover. Oh, and twilight, why do you keep ignoring me about doubles lololol :( We are still playing together right?

dieslow

Smash Ace
i agree 100% with tiep, if someone were to host a melee only event it's a no brainer choice for us melee players.

but eric said he'd drive me so i'll come to this one, lets see how it goes. (unless ur hosting something jack)

Metà

Smash Master
Sorry for not adding to the current convo - but does anyone know any SFU burnaby melee players that I can hang out with? I've got like 2-3 friends up here right now - so that would be pretty cool :D

edit: Also, happy new year, i'm hungover. Oh, and twilight, why do you keep ignoring me about doubles lololol :( We are still playing together right?
I play with LysanderBlack and Bwmat on a regular basis in the rotunda, by the bus loop near convocation mall. If you have MSN/AIM/Facebook, hit me up and I'll give you more details.

Ic0nic

Smash Apprentice
Gahaha, only asian people can actually pull off hair like that.

PM sent meta, looking forward to hanging out :D
It gives him his superpowers imo. that guy was pretty sick.

That being said I don't know **** about SF4 :p

Diakonos

Smash Lord
My apologies for not responding sooner... i was at a party as it is new years. CVGA provides me with 6 CRTs that i split between melee and brawl, when the tournaments are one after another they usually run 4 for 1 game and the other 2 are set for casuals for either game. and Vice versa depending on which is the main event at the time. This is basically completely external from the SF4 scene. On that note, CVGA should be able to provide you with 3 CRTs if that is what is required for your attendance.

I understand that i have "grouped" melee and brawl together collected as "smash" in my reports to the financial officer which is why the numbers don't look as good when compared to SF4. I'm not sure if thats really "fair".

As for Tiep's comments, i understand where you're coming from about all the tournament hype for OV3 and your dissapointment. But to be honest, i rarely "blame" anyone but i think i'm going to have to put at least a little bit of blame on the "fashionably late" attendees for melee. About 10 of the brawl players that were there wanted to play more, and were ready to join a melee tournament "just for the hell of it" but when 6pm rolled by... "lets go get food / i gotta go home for _____" because a much more prominent choice. This ultimately left me with 2 choices, start the tournament without this group of veteran melee players or wait for what i thought would be at least 10 more meleers. Yes my expected attendance was approximately 40 people for OV3, with about 25 people for singles for both brawl and melee (considering the overlap). Instead i think my tournament entries for singles were only about 15. Ontop of that i'm looking and i don't think you entered yourself tiep... I was asked to make Smash cost more for singles, i'm fine with reducing it back to 10 for singles and 5+5 for Doubles. That for sure is completely within my power.

Hopefully i can provide melee players with what they need but so far i've just been getting request after request and YES i have been fulfilling them (to the best of my ability) but i'm not getting that desired results... a frustrated TO? Indeed

If you guyz can take this to heart that would be awesome. For sure your reasons for OV5 being hard to "go to" in general are understood but please don't decide you don't want to come just because of this thread going haywire. Jack once told me that his "life" was dedicated to games, that made me realize that if hes willing to do so much for a game he doesn't really play that much, the least i can do is host tournaments for melee players to come to. I felt as if i was trying to do melee players a favor by giving them a place to have tournaments. If i am mistaken than i have wasted a lot of people's time and effort and i apologize in advance. Thanks for all the support thus far, especially eric and adam you guyz have been top teir. To all the attendees of past OV tournaments i sincerely hope that you enjoyed your tournament experience. If i can do something to make attendance go up i will definately do so.

Happy New Year
Bryan, I am a UBC student. I take what you're saying to heart.

I don't mind paying a reasonable venue fee ($5 isn't too much, and if there are enough attendees, I don't really mind paying up to 10, considering I'll get a nice long tournament with some fun matches). Just keep in mind normally we don't have venue fees, because we get some sort of deal at SFU with Meta's folks who both work there. Or, we host at someone's house (like Eric's). It's frustrating to go to a smash tournament and feel like I have to be stepping over people to get to a TV with smash on it. I don't particularly like using rooms with lots of chairs in it. I actually had calcIII in LSK, where one of the tournaments was held, and I lol'd. It just doesn't work for me.

Now, for a tournament of 32 people (something I think we should aim for and achieve, if we're going to be paying venue fees), 6 TVs is okay. It's not too bad. I don't think running brawl+melee concurrently is a good idea at all. I find it difficult to be happy with running other tournaments at the same time because the truth is, people want to play friendlies when they're not playing tournaments, and there aren't enough TVs for that. It's sad but true.

If it were just SF4 and Melee tournaments going on at once, in a venue where it feels like we're not cramped in the corner, I don't think people would mind traveling a bit farther and paying a venue fee. I'm not sure if that's something you can do, you know?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
This thread was a funny read, especially when someone said "I don't play Iccup, but I am probably at the B+ level." I know that in starcraft that's like a huge pet peeve for everyone, and I am pretty sure CS would be the same (not really sure). But yeah, I hope BC gets their **** together with the brawl/melee communities. AB is starting to get better about the whole thing.

ikool

Smash Apprentice
I just read through this entire thread. Bookmarked for epic stories of hate and friendship. :D

As for tournament attendance, I think I'll have to skip this one... I already confirmed for Komodo and Phoenix, and the rest of my money is going towards my gaming and anime needs. SRYS! :(

Hopefully I can make up for this failure on my part using this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMz-wi50ACU

breez

Smash Ace
I just read through this entire thread. Bookmarked for epic stories of hate and friendship. :D

As for tournament attendance, I think I'll have to skip this one... I already confirmed for Komodo and Phoenix, and the rest of my money is going towards my gaming and anime needs. SRYS! :(

Hopefully I can make up for this failure on my part using this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMz-wi50ACU
We will convince you at Komodo to go :)

12browndeep

Smash Rookie
Alright - beware of further e-thuggery.

I will KICK THE **** OUT OF YOU if you ever talk **** to me in real life. I am going to be at overture next so you can show up if you want. I really can't wait to see the look on your face when you realized that you picked an e-fight with a guy who isn't a scrawny weakling.

This isn't a joke, although im laughing like it is one - I would normally let e-thug threats on the internet slide, but since it is actually possible for me to meet you one day, let me say right now infront of everyone (god I feel like i'm in 4th grade) that I will actually kick the **** out of you. Sorry, but you really took it too far with that comment, and if you actually show your face at any of our tournies i'll beat you senseless.

Infact, i'm living at SFU right now - i'm just up the street at 9232 university cres - if you want the **** kicked out of you right now i'm up for it, bring a friend with a video camera or something.

i will **** talk to u right now scrub, ur moms ugly oh snap. if u wanna fight me lets do it in surrey, unless ure scared of my buddies video taping me pulling the pimple out of ur nose =/

i will call as many people as i can to witness this, i like hyped fight and i love to fight. also this isnt a threat, its a promise, u can counton it. heres the address ***** cat, intersection of 120th street and 80th avenue, u should bring ur friends too, so after they see me beat the **** out of u, my friends can **** ur friends as well.

i will have u not to *** with me son, and heres my # 604 722 7798, flame at me all u want but in our best interest i hope u show up and not be a wus eh

u can be sorry to me after i trash ur face and ur house or everything u own.

so this is what u wanted eh? search for Infaith as an Iccup A- player and go talk to him, cause apparently ure the one donno **** and squirting like a panzy. best player in BC is infact a chinese player called xiao zi main zerg and is probably top 10 in the world. Infaith just a korean friend that i practice with. but that doesnt really matter now does it?

i will take ur money before i **** u in a fight, then take lot more money and even pimping ur family wouldnt be enough, since they would actually lose money for me =/

So what if you can beat someone with your fist, i'll stick a ****ing knife in your stomach and your not gonna do **** but bleed a ****ing pool of blood and cry for the ambulance. In fact you talk so much **** about the melee community that nobody in it will call 911 for you. They will watch you die and we will all cover the scene up until you ****ing die.
MAD PROPS TO MICHAEL for this enlightening post.

so the # is 604 722 7798
one lives in surrey
other lives at sfu

I will bring the camera, lets do this ****

Asa

Smash Hero
lol this thread should be published and sold

sign me up plz

ikool, if we work well at komodo, you should come to this as well

12browndeep

Smash Rookie
i thought a venue fee sounded fishy for a club so i got in contact with some people that are involved with clubs in UBC.

apparently the room booking cost for clubs is FREE.

why are we being charged a venue fee?

Can the TO answer this question asap.
The information i have presented may be incorrect, but please answer my query asap.

cheers,

12browndeep

Smash Rookie
the same rule applies for SFU apparently.
clubs do not get charged a "room rental/venue" fee.
people like to know what their money is going towards.
If you want people to come, clarifying what exactly our entry fee goes towards should increase attendance.

unityole

Smash Lord
the same rule applies for SFU apparently.
clubs do not get charged a "room rental/venue" fee.
people like to know what their money is going towards.
If you want people to come, clarifying what exactly our entry fee goes towards should increase attendance.
thats why me and evan want to make a club but apparently that **** only offers once a year in the beginning of every fall semester.

what brian (twilightshadow) told me was that UBC doesnt fully open on saturday/weekends, so to open a room which isnt on a weekday will be extra work for them, thus they charge u money for it. and btw SFU do charge u for a room rental fee only if u book it during a holiday, this is through CCSI info they also have told me that even TVs will cost extra on a holiday.

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
i thought a venue fee sounded fishy for a club so i got in contact with some people that are involved with clubs in UBC.

apparently the room booking cost for clubs is FREE.

why are we being charged a venue fee?

Can the TO answer this question asap.
The information i have presented may be incorrect, but please answer my query asap.

cheers,
TO here, i'm only relaying information given to me by the finance officer at the club. I'll look into it but jack pretty much has given the summary. I have been trying rigorously to reduce venue costs and ontop of that room booking for clubs is not free. Unless i've been incorrectly informed.

Zardoz

Smash Rookie
Hey, i joined ur club around when club week was going on and i just recently found out about the tournaments you guys have been having without my knowledge lol. Anyways, I wanna know how i can register for this tourny. I wanna join the SF4 Singles. Do all i have to do is asked to be confirmed?

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
Hey, i joined ur club around when club week was going on and i just recently found out about the tournaments you guys have been having without my knowledge lol. Anyways, I wanna know how i can register for this tourny. I wanna join the SF4 Singles. Do all i have to do is asked to be confirmed?
we got meets every friday... do u come out to those?

Zardoz

Smash Rookie
I havent gone to any of the meets because i wasn't aware of those either :S. Would it still be possible for me to register since as of now i probably must have missed the meet?

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
I havent gone to any of the meets because i wasn't aware of those either :S. Would it still be possible for me to register since as of now i probably must have missed the meet?
yep as long as u have ur club card ur free to come into any of the meets, they are usually in irving 155 on fridays at 4-5pm till about 9-10

Zardoz

Smash Rookie
alrite cool, but i thot u said the deadline was on Jan 11? or was that about something else?

Top Bottom