• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

P:M2.6 Lucas

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Magnet hold is a constant damage blender of repeating hitboxes.

Magnet release is the backward launcher that we all know and love. You can jump during this.

JCing magnet is still faster than just letting it run it's course.

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
Magnet hold is a constant damage blender of repeating hitboxes.

Magnet release is the backward launcher that we all know and love. You can jump during this.

JCing magnet is still faster than just letting it run it's course.
I understand all that. I just never knew Lucas couldn't JC at any point in the move. I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the clarification.

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
AFTER releasing it? I figured the idea would be to PREVENT the finishing animation of whatever move when you jump. Not trying to sound brash, but that doesn't sound like a legitimate Jump Cancel to me. Why the need for magnet release first?
The release hitbox is only out for one frame, and you can jump as soon as the hitbox is gone, so you do prevent the entire endlag animation of the magnet by jump cancelling. This is even better than jumping out of shine, since shine hits frame 1 and can't be jump cancelled until frame 4, so you have 2 frames that you can't jump compared to 0 with Lucas (not counting hitlag in either case).

Incidentally, I'm confused about how Lucas's magnet hitboxes actually work. When I hit someone it always registers 2 hits and does 8%, indicating that I'm hitting with one loop hitbox and the release hitbox. Does anyone if they both hit on the same frame, or does one hit before the other? If they do hit at different times, what frame does each hit on? I'm pretty sure the first hitbox can't come out until frame 5 since it wouldn't be possible to b-reverse otherwise, and I assume the release hitbox can't hit before the loop hitbox because the opponent still takes knockback. So does that mean the release hitbox is actually on frame 6, or do they occur at the same time? I've only examined this in training mode, and the two hits register sequentially, but I'm not sure if that's because they actually occur on different frames or if that's just how training mode's hud works.

NeonApophis

Smash Apprentice
Burnsy and I have discussed this matter and concluded that Lucas hits with a loop hitbox which exists on frames 5-6, and then a release hitbox which we believe comes out on frame 7. However, because the loop hitbox links directly into the release hitbox, it is basically equivalent to just having a magnet that hits on frame 5 as long as you connect with it.

My only concern is that it may be possible to smash DI the loop hitbox and possibly avoid the release hitbox in some situations, but I'm not sure how often that would work and it has yet to become an issue.

Edit: I confirmed that the release hitbox does come after the loop hitbox rather than on the same frame, as it is possible to only hit with the release hitbox by timing your movement so that the magnet doesn't connect until after the loop hitbox has disappeared.

Top Bottom