• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man Stage Ideas

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
I dislike the Pac-Land stage, so I wonder: what are some other possible ideas for stages?

One I thought of was Pac-Village from Pac-Man World 2:

It could transition into the dark, final boss setting, and then Spooky could be a boss character:

What are some other ideas that you have? Post them here, please.

GrapeEscape

Smash Apprentice
I was almost convinced that Pac-Village would be a stage for the Wii U version prior to Pac-Man's unveiling, but it's very unlikely since 3rd party characters seem to have only one stage per version and Pac-Man in SSB4 is based upon his classic arcade titles rather than more recent games.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
I was almost convinced that Pac-Village would be a stage for the Wii U version prior to Pac-Man's unveiling, but it's very unlikely since 3rd party characters seem to have only one stage per version and Pac-Man in SSB4 is based upon his classic arcade titles rather than more recent games.
It's a shame, since it would seriously be my most played stage by FAR.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I really love the 3DS Pac-Man stage and wish the Wii U version got the same treatment. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the Pac-Land stage, but I absolutely love the 3DS's classic maze stage more.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I really would have settled with an HD version of Pac-Land. Instead of the one we are getting that looks like it was made in Paint. Even the classic Super Mario Bros. stages or the Game & Watch stages didn't needed to look so retro.
Sakurai really wants to push the 8-bit era element for Pacman.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
I really would have settled with an HD version of Pac-Land. Instead of the one we are getting that looks like it was made in Paint. Even the classic Super Mario Bros. stages or the Game & Watch stages didn't needed to look so retro.
Sakurai really wants to push the 8-bit era element for Pacman.
Not to mention, Pac-Land isn't that much of a nostalgic Pacman game.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Pac-Village would be amazing! I loved Pac-Man World 2 so that stage would definitely be one of my favorites just because of the nostalgia.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Hmm, maybe `Pac-Village` could be more than a transition stage. Maybe it could fly through locations in the game.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
If you could explain what you mean a bit more, I`d love it!
Sure. What I would have liked essentially would have boiled down to something very similar to the 3DS stage we actually ended up getting. Black background, maze setting, platforms formed out of maze pieces, ghosts/dots/cherries/etc. I would have preferred, however, for them to have based the aesthetics on Pac-Man Championship Edition, rather than using the graphical style of the first game.

My idea is that the stage could transition between a variety of platform layouts and maybe even graphical styles when players grab a fruit that would spawn occasionally on the stage. In Championship Edition, the maze undergoes an immediate transition when fruits are eaten.

I understand that they wanted to homage the original game, which is by far the most important, but that's also what Championship Edition itself does, in addition to looking much nicer and having much more stylistic elements to it. I guess I'm kind of disappointed that both Pac-Man stages are styled in retro graphics. Pac-Man uses sprites in his moveset, sure, but he himself is in HD, and I would've liked to see nicer-looking stages to accompany him.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Sure. What I would have liked essentially would have boiled down to something very similar to the 3DS stage we actually ended up getting. Black background, maze setting, platforms formed out of maze pieces, ghosts/dots/cherries/etc. I would have preferred, however, for them to have based the aesthetics on Pac-Man Championship Edition, rather than using the graphical style of the first game.

My idea is that the stage could transition between a variety of platform layouts and maybe even graphical styles when players grab a fruit that would spawn occasionally on the stage. In Championship Edition, the maze undergoes an immediate transition when fruits are eaten.

I understand that they wanted to homage the original game, which is by far the most important, but that's also what Championship Edition itself does, in addition to looking much nicer and having much more stylistic elements to it. I guess I'm kind of disappointed that both Pac-Man stages are styled in retro graphics. Pac-Man uses sprites in his moveset, sure, but he himself is in HD, and I would've liked to see nicer-looking stages to accompany him.
Yes, I`ve played Championship Edition before.

I think your ideas are pretty good, although it might be a little too similar to the Pac-Man arcade stage (3DS version).

I like them!

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Yes, I`ve played Championship Edition before.

I think your ideas are pretty good, although it might be a little too similar to the Pac-Man arcade stage (3DS version).

I like them!
Well yeah, that's the idea. I would've preferred it to the maze stage we actually got. Although I should make it known that I do quite like the stage anyway. It's Pac-Land I really have little interest in, oddly enough. So far, I've preferred every Wii U stage to its 3DS counterpart.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Well yeah, that's the idea. I would've preferred it to the maze stage we actually got. Although I should make it known that I do quite like the stage anyway. It's Pac-Land I really have little interest in, oddly enough. So far, I've preferred every Wii U stage to its 3DS counterpart.
Pac-Land will probably be quite disorienting for me to play on, since it looks like it was made in MS Paint.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I think Pac-Land will be better once we see the whole stage. The actual game had some pretty varied environments. It had the city, the forest, the desert, the mountains, and the castle. If all that is there, then this stage won't be as bad as everyone is thinking.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think Pac-Land will be better once we see the whole stage. The actual game had some pretty varied environments. It had the city, the forest, the desert, the mountains, and the castle. If all that is there, then this stage won't be as bad as everyone is thinking.
I just think it looks unnecessarily dated. The stage could be varied, sure, but it's always going to look unpleasant.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I dislike the Pac-Land stage, but I think it would be more fitting to use the 3DS's arcade styled stage.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
I had this one stage idea based off Pac-Man 2: The New Adventure.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
Well do you remember this specific location in Pac-Man 2?

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
well the stage will have platforms for the players could jump on. Inky,Blinky,Pink, and Clyde would use the machines to fill up the gum monster with gum that once he reaches his powerful moments he slaps the opponents out of the arena causing a KO making the ghosts laugh at the ones that are KO. The slingshot could either shoot a item or hit the player causing damage. the ghosts to stop the gum monster from growing by damaging them to the point they could be KO. The ghost witch would have reactions depending on the battle.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Yeah, I can't say I like the Pac-Land stage I love retro stages don't get me wrong but Pac-Land's visuals always kinda came to me as something that I can put together in Microsoft paint in a few minutes. I dunno about a Pac-Man World stage though, I think it would've been more fun to have a maze like the 3DS version but to make it different it'd be the entire maze and the only blast zones are on the little entries to the sides and of course the ghosts would be stage hazards of course and it'd be the ultimate cheeseball stage for casual play.

D

Deleted member

I hope Sakurai goes into more detail about the Maze stage soon. That stage looks quite fun for more light hearted matches.

Booster

Smash Lord
Build it kind of like 75M from Brawl, Dots restore 1% HP for each one eaten, the Big Dot gives invincibility like the Star, Ghosts chase your characters around, but you can kill them while invincible from the Big Dot.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
Well what would be the best way to make the Gum Monster as boss?

Creativion

Smash Apprentice
PAC-MAZE WII U!!

Another one maybe from Pac-Man World 2 sounds good too, I love that game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What about a Block Town stage with falling block patterns kind of like the Nintendogs stage on the 3DS? Of course the shapes would be less organic differentiating it from that stage, plus ghosts could be a stage hazard

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom