• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac-Man Teams Thread

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Now we rarely see Pac-Man in teams. I don't know anyone but myself that uses Pac-Man in teams. Abadango uses MetaKnight in teams so that doesn't count lol. But we know that Pac-Man is a great character in teams.

I team with Jtails and he uses Villager. Right there you know already it's "Hydrant Heaven" . The different set ups we can do. We kill our opponents very early. I assist with hydrants and he gimps opponents and kills early with the pocketed hydrant. In the beginning of the match, Me and Jtails are right beside each other so I take out a hydrant and he pockets it immediately. Now the overall role that Pac-Man must go by is a stock tank and edge guarder. His job is to annoy opponents spacing with his hydrant, stop your opponent's combos on your teammate with fair or the key. Overall, Stage control is "key" (you get it.... Key ;) ) is Pac-Man's job in teams.

Here's my Grand Finals set with Jtails in teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_vJzgNayFg

If anyone has any data on any other Pac-Man teams, post here. This will be the official Teams Thread for Pac-Man.

JohanVonBronx

Smash Apprentice
I play Pac-Man in teams, my teammate typically switches between Ike, Roy, and Falcon. But typically Ike works best for us. Like you said, I play to be stock tank and annoy the other team and prevent combos. With occasional aggressive play using aerials. I basically help build up damage while my teammate gets the kills. I try to be careful with fruit, typically only using cherry, orange, and key. Sometimes melon. Orange and key the most cause they're good for poking, especially for grab-happy opponents.

Joecreak

Smash Rookie
Pac-Man and Villager best Team in sm4sh so far :D

Last edited:

verbatim

Smash Ace
My static doubles partner is a Villager. It's worth noting that Villager's dtilt does the exact amount of damage required to launch the hydrant, giving Villager an extremely fast way to launch a pocket powered hydrant.

Unfortunately Pacman's items aren't boosted by pocket, my suspicion is that z-droppaple things that are created by characters are flagged as items, and that items don't get boosted by pocket.

One thing we haven't messed around with, but I feel like could have merit, is pellet healing off of lloyd/rapid jab.

Just a note, I feel that a large part of our success has to do with my partner being psychic with bowling ball kills (5/6 per match psychic), and that as an overall rule Pacman's best role in doubles is to stock tank for a character with great kill options, and that Villager/Pacman is successful in spite of that rule because of just how well their moves work together.

Characters that I think could do great with Pacman, based on their respective attributes:

Fast and can score kills off of setups/moves that are easier to land in the chaoticness of doubles

-Captain Falcon
-DK
-MK
-Ryu
-ZSS

Fast characters with an exceptional neutral that mesh well with Pacman's traps
-Mario
-Diddy Kong
-Greninja

Specialty/long shots (everything except for Villager is theorymon/not actual tournament experience)

Lucario: Pacman's amazing at tanking stocks, I think it'd be interesting to try the Anubis strategy with Lucario and Pacman instead of Lucario/Lucas, since Pacman is significantly better than Lucas at escaping disadvantage state, at the cost of not being able to heal as reliably off of Lucario.

Villager: See OP

Wario: This one seems like it might have some merit, since Pacman and Wario are both really good at dancing around opponents and stalling for time with Wario is never a bad idea.

Rosalina: Spinning hydrant of death/can get upair kills in the chaoticness of the match.

Last edited:

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Anyone had anything good come out of Double Pac? I know some people here cite it as an ideal way to ruin your opponent's synergy while still playing strong, in the event they play much better than you.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Anyone had anything good come out of Double Pac? I know some people here cite it as an ideal way to ruin your opponent's synergy while still playing strong, in the event they play much better than you.
I tried it a few days ago and we did worse than when they didn't use Pac-Man. I kept telling them they weren't launching enough hydrants, but it could've been something else.

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
Doubles Pac-Man will never have the same amount of salt since the last patch. Rest in peace trap door, you will never be forgotten. :4ness::4lucas:

Patch or no patch Pac + Villager is a really big threat right now if pulled off right. The pocketed hydrant alone is super tough to deal with, especially when combined with a standard hydrant to send potentially killing hitboxes flying across the screen. Something I don't think has been quite tapped into is pocketing fruits, if Villager pockets a fruit Pac can still charge as long as Villagers fruit is in their pocket. Sounds kinda gimmicky since it requires more precise setup/charge time but in theory double keys could prove to come in clutch considering the opponent likely won't expect it and you don't have to spend time launching them like hydrants.

I would imagine double Pac has some viability to it for similar reasons, though obviously not nearly as strong since it lacks the super-powered hydrant and matchup coverage/kill power from Villager.

verbatim

Smash Ace
did anyone here ever actually do/record do the glitch where Pacman puts Lucas in the Halberd deck and he stock tanks/up smash's everything? Someone mentioned it a LONG ways back but I don't think I ever saw proof.

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
did anyone here ever actually do/record do the glitch where Pacman puts Lucas in the Halberd deck and he stock tanks/up smash's everything? Someone mentioned it a LONG ways back but I don't think I ever saw proof.
It worked with every character the same way the trap door worked normally, its just that in halberd specifically the platform that travels around the stage never disappears in the ship part, instead it just hides under the main platform leaving somewhere for the trap door victim to land instead of falling to their deaths. Because they were hiding in a platform under the actual stage characters like Lucas could invincibly spam moves from underneath until the platform moved back up.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Kirby is a good teammate for PAC-MAN. I played it a lot too! THAT double key...

BSP

Smash Legend
Pac-Man + Villager team just got neutered. Villager's pocketed projectiles from teammates now do half damage/knockback. GG.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Well let's wait until Corrin gets added to decide that. Seems that some of his gimmicks (pinning, stun projectile, possible high damage) could help with hydrant and KO setups.

Top Bottom