• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Nose. He looks weird without it.
You look weird without it. :glare:

Ofcourse it looks weird when we're so used to seeing him with it. But I think if they didn't give it to him the first time he was made 3D... then we would have been shocked if someone suggested giving Pac Man a nose.

Lot's of round bodied Nintendo characters don't have noses. i.e. Kirby and Jigglypuff. Imagine if they were given noses :laugh:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Ofcourse it looks weird when we're so used to seeing him with it. But I think if they didn't give it to him the first time he was made 3D... then we would have been shocked if someone suggested giving Pac Man a nose.

Lot's of round bodied Nintendo characters don't have noses. i.e. Kirby and Jigglypuff. Imagine if they were given noses :laugh:
You're right. I look very weird without a nose. :troll:

Look bud. You just asked which look I liked more. No need to go on the offensive.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion

tbf every pic of Pac-Man that wasnt the original circle mouth shape, has had a nose since Super Pac Man arcade back in 82.

This was probably due to Ms Pac Man having a nose in all of her pictures a year b4.
so even b4 he made the jump into 3D gaming he was always depicted with a nose.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I was just joking around mate.
K. As much as I love Pac-Man he just isn't interesting to me. At all. If Namco gets a rep, I hope it goes to Tekken or Tales.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
K. As much as I love Pac-Man he just isn't interesting to me. At all. If Namco gets a rep, I hope it goes to Tekken or Tales.
Almost everyone including me would rather see Jin and/or Kazuya putting some bad ass factor into SSB. But I'm not going to do that to myself. Putting any hope on a Tekken character making it is like punching your future self in the face :laugh:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was thinking that a Pac-Man stage could be side-scrolling in all four directions, a la Devil World, instead of stationary (Mario Bros.), horizontally scrolling (Mushroomy Kingdom), or vertically scrolling (Icicle Mountain). The dots are all part of the background and do not affect the gameplay.

The stage hazards are the four ghosts that float through the maze. The red ghost could have fire properties. The blue ghost could have ice properties. The orange ghost could have electric properties. The pink ghost could have poison properties. Fruits occasionally appear on the stage and they recover 100% damage.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Pac-man would be a great addition done right. I am rooting for him and Megaman as third party characters.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I think Pac-Man is, by far, the most deserving 3rd party character at this point.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I put Megaman slightly below Pac-Man, honestly.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
He's IN the top 25
So is Geno. Doesn't mean he's deserving. :smirk:

But Pac-Man wouldn't be in the top 25 if Namco weren't involved. It's not true unconditional popularity.

Plus any major third-party that hypothetically were to work on Smash would have at least one of their characters jump into the top 25.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
He's IN the top 25
And Megaman is Number 1.

@N30N
I'm gonna have to disagree with your logic there. Popularity is popularity, whether it be from a company working on the game or a previous game in the series (Roy and to some extant Mewtwo).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So is Geno. Doesn't mean he's deserving. :smirk:

But Pac-Man wouldn't be in the top 25 if Namco weren't involved. It's not true unconditional popularity.

Plus any major third-party that hypothetically were to work on Smash would have at least one of their characters jump into the top 25.
Wasn't it a think with Roy supporters that "Popularity is popularity, not matter what the reason"

If Roy can have popularity from being in melee instead of him actually being an iconic character from his game/ series I see no reason why Pac Man can't have popularity from being from Namco

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Wasn't it a think with Roy supporters that "Popularity is popularity, not matter what the reason"
Pac-Man's popularity is rather futile though, unlike Roy's. Chances are Sakurai already decided which Namco character to include before they even announced Namco was involved, so popularity probably didn't play a role in that decision. And after Smash 4, should Namco not be part of the next one, Pac-Man's popularity (if he's not included) will decline back to the barely-existent state it was in previously.

Roy's popularity endures, and exists when Sakurai is actually making the roster. Popularity is popularity, but you need that popularity when the roster is being compiled. Pac-Man doesn't though, due to Namco's involvement.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pac-Man's popularity is rather futile though, unlike Roy's. Chances are Sakurai already decided which Namco character to include before they even announced Namco was involved, so popularity probably didn't play a role in that decision. And after Smash 4, should Namco not be part of the next one, Pac-Man's popularity (if he's not included) will decline back to the barely-existent state it was in previously.

Roy's popularity endures, and exists when Sakurai is actually making the roster. Popularity is popularity, but you need that popularity when the roster is being compiled. Pac-Man doesn't though, due to Namco's involvement.
Pac Man DID have popularity when Namco was making comments on if they should add a character though

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Pac Man DID have popularity when Namco was making comments on if they should add a character though
That's true... not as much as Tekken though. By that logic, we'd get the Tekken character first. Pac-Man wasn't even brought up by Namco. Still hasn't been.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Tekken also had to opposition of Nintendo fans disliking the idea of a character from it. Which Namco even acknowledged.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Tekken also had to opposition of Nintendo fans disliking the idea of a character from it. Which Namco even acknowledged.
That's also true, which is why the exact Namco character is still up in the air, speculation-wise. I personally think Pac-Man is the best choice, and the most likely choice, he's on my roster. But... he's not as "deserving" as Mega Man, which is all I was originally trying to say.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The way I look at it, Pac-Man is more popular among casual gamers while Llyod Irving is more popular among serious gamers. So it is very hit or miss. Tekken is a good middle ground but the characters don't fit well in Smash.

Most non-video game players or older players who likely in 30s and 40s now know and love Pac-Man. He is more of a legacy than anything. The problem is a lot of these people are not Smash players and even Pac-man's addition wouldn't necessary draw them into buying the game. They are the crowd that will play Wii Sports, Brainage, Solitaire, Angry Birds, etc.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The way I look at it, Pac-Man is more popular among casual gamers while Llyod Irving is more popular among serious gamers. So it is very hit or miss. Tekken is a good middle ground but the characters don't fit well in Smash.

Most non-video game players or older players who likely in 30s and 40s now know and love Pac-Man. He is more of a legacy than anything. The problem is a lot of these people are not Smash players and even Pac-man's addition wouldn't necessary draw them into buying the game. They are the crowd that will play Wii Sports, Brainage, Solitaire, Angry Birds, etc.
You're making a lot of assumptions there bucko.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The way I look at it, Pac-Man is more popular among casual gamers while Lloyd Irving is more popular among serious gamers. So it is very hit or miss. Tekken is a good middle ground but the characters don't fit well in Smash.
Now, Pac-Man is a game foe casuals doesn't necessarily mean that he is more popular among them. Consider Fire Emblem. Those games aren't meant for casuals, but that doesn't mean that casuals don't like Marth or Ike.

Know Pac-Man =/= Love Pac-Man.

volbound1700

Smash Master
For the Pac-Man haters:

Since the release of Pac-Man in 1980, Pac-Man has become a social phenomenon[4] and became an icon of the video game industry, as well as popular culture.[21][22][11] According to the Davie-Brown Index (DBI), Pac-Man has the highest brand awareness of any video game character among American consumers, recognized by 94 percent of them (surpassing Mario and Sonic).[23] Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto even stated that Pac-Man was his favorite video game character.[24] Pac-Man was the first character inducted at Twin Galaxies' International Video Game Hall of Fame in 2010.[25]
In 2012, GamesRadar ranked him as the 73rd "most memorable, influential, and badass" protagonist in games, commenting: "Toru Iwatani’s simple, iconic, timeless character design has seen Pac-Man endure for more than 30 years and become an established visual shorthand for gaming and gaming culture all over the world."[26] On the other hand, IGN included Pac-Man in their 2009 list of top ten most overrated video game characters, commenting: "Once upon a time, Pac-Man was king of the world. His was the game that every console manufacturer craved. Pac-Man birthed a TV show, a catchy '80s song, and oodles of merchandise. Then the gaming industry crashed, and poor little Pac-Man has never been the same."[27]

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That Wikipedia article only tells us about his iconicness and that a lot of people know about him.

Shigeru Miyamoto likes him, so that can count as a plus.

The IGN quote in the end neutralized the article very well, removing any bias. lol

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
For the Pac-Man haters:

Since the release of Pac-Man in 1980, Pac-Man has become a social phenomenon[4] and became an icon of the video game industry, as well as popular culture.[21][22][11] According to the Davie-Brown Index (DBI), Pac-Man has the highest brand awareness of any video game character among American consumers, recognized by 94 percent of them (surpassing Mario and Sonic).[23] Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto even stated that Pac-Man was his favorite video game character.[24] Pac-Man was the first character inducted at Twin Galaxies' International Video Game Hall of Fame in 2010.[25]
In 2012, GamesRadar ranked him as the 73rd "most memorable, influential, and badass" protagonist in games, commenting: "Toru Iwatani’s simple, iconic, timeless character design has seen Pac-Man endure for more than 30 years and become an established visual shorthand for gaming and gaming culture all over the world."[26] On the other hand, IGN included Pac-Man in their 2009 list of top ten most overrated video game characters, commenting: "Once upon a time, Pac-Man was king of the world. His was the game that every console manufacturer craved. Pac-Man birthed a TV show, a catchy '80s song, and oodles of merchandise. Then the gaming industry crashed, and poor little Pac-Man has never been the same."[27]
Knowledge of Pac-Man doesn't equal current popularity of Pac-Man, or Pac-Man support. No one is denying Pac-Man is an icon.

volbound1700

Smash Master
There is a popularity/likeability for people that played his games during his height. The problem is as I stated above most of those people are in their 30 and 40s now and Smash Brothers really doesn't appeal as much to that age demograph.

@ Falkoopa - IGN is only one source and they are always known for trying to stir up controversy to get attention. They are the CNN of video gaming news. However, I do agree that he has lost some of his influence in the modern era but then again so has a lot of characters in Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There is a popularity/likeability for people that played his games during his height. The problem is as I stated above most of those people are in their 30 and 40s now and Smash Brothers really doesn't appeal as much to that age demograph.
Exactly, they are hardly the demographic that contributes to character popularity for Smash. Even if they did still care/remember about Pac-Man, there's no guarantee they would still be in to gaming, which wouldn't effect Smash. And if they were still into gaming, there's a good chance there have been characters since then they prefer over Pac-Man. Just because people know who he is doesn't mean those same people still care about games he currently shows up it. The average reception of current Pac-Man games should show that.

Top Bottom