• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
As I've posted in the AT thread, FH Cherry > Hydrant is a good starter wall. The water carries the cherry's hitbox across the stage, which creates a cool zoning option:

:4pacman: -cherry-

-H-(water-->)\/\/\---------

Pardon my terrible diagram. The stage control you gain from this is pretty legit.

-Trampoline--Hydrant- :4pacman: is good to tack on hydrant damage without added assistance. Keeping a Galaxian or Melon on tap is good for punishing the inevitable attempts to hurdle the hydrant.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
As I've posted in the AT thread, FH Cherry > Hydrant is a good starter wall. The water carries the cherry's hitbox across the stage, which creates a cool zoning option:

:4pacman: -cherry-

-H-(water-->)\/\/\---------

Pardon my terrible diagram. The stage control you gain from this is pretty legit.

-Trampoline--Hydrant- :4pacman: is good to tack on hydrant damage without added assistance. Keeping a Galaxian or Melon on tap is good for punishing the inevitable attempts to hurdle the hydrant.
Nice! I personally like to Bair -> Fair hydrant to help my approach. By running behind it, I can block all projectiles and get in my opponent's face quicker if they try to camp me out.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm personally not a fan of staying away for too long, but I will do so if I don't want to put up with my opponent's neutral game (Pikachu, Mario, Luigi,)

Making overly aggressive people have to jump through hoops to get to me is kinda fun.

I'm more of an aggressive Trap Pac normally. Especially against the likes of mega man (I looove that matchup)

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm personally not a fan of staying away for too long, but I will do so if I don't want to put up with my opponent's neutral game (Pikachu, Mario, Luigi,)

Making overly aggressive people have to jump through hoops to get to me is kinda fun.

I'm more of an aggressive Trap Pac normally. Especially against the likes of mega man (I looove that matchup)
It really sounds like we have similar playstyles.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I found a rather nasty trick one could potentially perform against characters with a "meh" recovery. First off, create a trampoline somewhere that allows basically anyone to recover from, but try placing it somewhat low. After this, try knocking the opponent off the stage on the same side that you placed the trampoline. If you're lucky/if the opponent has somehow become helpless, he'll try using using the trampoline to recover. Just as he is about to land on it, create another one somewhere else, destroying the previous one.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah that is a useful but we'll known tactic. That said opponents with MU experience will avoid the trampoline to avoid that.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Damnit I had been so well online lately that they're was a tournament and Saturday I was really hyped to go to 2 show how much I've improved but they changed the event to no customs, there is still an tournament I'm gonna go to on Sunday but this really sucks.

BSP

Smash Legend
Pac-Man doesn't need customs that badly IMO. If I were going to a custom tournament, I'd probably use On Fire, Dire Hydrant, and Lazy Fruit at most in specific MUs.

I don't see customs lasting very long in competitive play unless Nintendo starts patching some of the arguably OP ones and the infinite combos some bring.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm pretty neutral on customs, but I can't help but feel that maybe my time training with customs will end up being worthless. The amount of anti-customs people grows with each custom tournament, and if they decide to stay vanilla...then what was the point of using them?

I don't want to rely on something with no future.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I'm pretty neutral on customs, but I can't help but feel that maybe my time training with customs will end up being worthless. The amount of anti-customs people grows with each custom tournament, and if they decide to stay vanilla...then what was the point of using them?

I don't want to rely on something with no future.
I may not continue with the game if customs get banned, but I really just don't think that's going to happen. It's not something I'm worried about, for the weekly I mentioned the last 6 events were customs included so I can't be too mad about them running a customs off tournament.

Also form my experience the majoriy of people complaining about customs are scrubs, who arne't good and looking for an excuse to explain why they lost. When those same people attend the non-custom tournament and they still get wrecked(wouldn't be surprised if they do worse than usual) they're ******** about customs will end.

I'm pro customs all the way btw.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I kinda see myself as the Freaky Fruit man around these boards so I'd not be happy with a customs ban.
Lol I feel ya man. I used to be the Dire Hydrant guy around here until I convinced other people to try it out and they liked it too.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Is the custom moveset project the go-to sets followed by all custom tourneys? Or is that just an attempt at a guideline for people who don't want to go through the trouble of real-time transferring?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
It's just for EVO
This isn't true at all you know. It's for Evo and every single tournament which is following the Evo ruleset. Which is almost every regional tournament at this point.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
So right, i was watching a vid and @ Nu~ Nu~ came to mind , how pac can pretty much do other characters stuff with his BF http://youtu.be/XySEVMzFWPM at 1:41 rob does a gyro trick, i think we can use this ! With z dropped cherry and strawberries and after the footstool we cant spike but we can catch pretty good stage spikes with hydrant into even perhaps another footstool, down air ORRRRR my favorite footstool nair and Di backwards for the opponent to keep them off stage for assault !

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
So right, i was watching a vid and @ Nu~ Nu~ came to mind , how pac can pretty much do other characters stuff with his BF http://youtu.be/XySEVMzFWPM at 1:41 rob does a gyro trick, i think we can use this ! With z dropped cherry and strawberries and after the footstool we cant spike but we can catch pretty good stage spikes with hydrant into even perhaps another footstool, down air ORRRRR my favorite footstool nair and Di backwards for the opponent to keep them off stage for assault !
Nice catch man!!:chuckle:

That looks pretty legit. With customs on, we can convert that into a spike with meteor trampoline, but footstool -> Nair is excellent.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
It isnt easy since the KB on our fruits are higher, so its really read based but its not impossible lol, i think added a tramp in at some point of this process might aid it

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
Hey guys, I have an idea.

It would be cool to have a Pacman General Guide thread. The same way a normal guide would work, but more in-depth. So it would include things like the MUs and what works against certain characters, weird properties some moves have, a list of combos and how to do them, general gameplay tips, etc.

We would get a TL;DR version of everything we know about Pac in a single place and it would be easier to look for a precise thing or simply to get to know Pac better. I think it would be useful both for new and experienced Pac players alike.

And it would also be cool if it were a community project. Someone (I can do it but if anyone want to I'm perfeclty fine with it) can keep the info up to date and make a firs version of it, and anyone can simply write things to add in the thread. If it's legit we will add it to the guide. This way everyone is helping, while also keeping the guide the most relevant possible.

Would you participate/want a guide-thread like this?

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I think I found something new with Pac Man. I call it " Semi-Auto Fruit." It's essentially a Bonus Fruit cancel that enables you to immediately throw a fruit instantly, as opposed to double-tapping. Hence, semi-auto. Initiate Bonus Fruit and tap shield immediately after, Pac Man will briefly show a fruitless hand. That action stores a fruit in the queue to be used on the next button press.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Am I missing something? What makes that any different then cancelling your fruit regularly by shielding?

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
You can move immediately after. Mobility is not exactly a thing if you're stuck in your shield.

I was hoping I had found something there. Oh well, it's pretty cool to mess with. Back to the lab.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You can move immediately after. Mobility is not exactly a thing if you're stuck in your shield.

I was hoping I had found something there. Oh well, it's pretty cool to mess with. Back to the lab.
That's actually something I've been using a lot lately. I use it cancel out landing lag after a FF Fair and as a bait. It's definitely worth learning.

Top Bottom