• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
weird stuff happened while playing today, pacmans full of glitches. somehow when i dthrowed a captain falcon on the edge, he was sent backward instead of forward. then in a later match, after i was hit by ness' pk thunder, i started charging fruit midair and i was facing the background until i got hit again. anything like this happen to you guys?

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
Just got back from playing at my friends house, forgot how much I loved teams. It was the first night I got to play teams in sm4sh with my usual, we both dont have wii u so we usually play PM, but it was amazing Pac and Mega man is such janktastic team, I love it :D
we won the majority of matches, 1v1 on the other hand...lol

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I swear I played a Luigi player on the Ladder today and he barely won the first match on battlefield. The one thing I noticed is that my hydrant spacing was off, I kept dropping the hydrant on platforms. The inefficiency of the hydrant is why I hated that stage before I discovered the Lazy fruit. I took him back there, and I started dropping the hydrant inbetween the platforms correctly and I two stocked him. The hydrant spacing makes such a large difference on that stage(I suspect it's the same for dreamalnd) it's something I'm definitely going to warm up on before tournaments.

BSP

Smash Legend
Seeing how chats react when Dabuz goes on, it's probably a good thing Pac-Man isn't very popular. I know if I fought Rosa on stream, I'd be public enemy #1

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Seeing how chats react when Dabuz goes on, it's probably a good thing Pac-Man isn't very popular. I know if I fought Rosa on stream, I'd be public enemy #1
People really like when Pacman plays even when defensive from my experience. I think the difference is that it's cool when a lower tier character walls you out, when a top tier character does it, its lame because not only is it over-powered but it's brain dead as well.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
People really like when Pacman plays even when defensive from my experience. I think the difference is that it's cool when a lower tier character walls you out, when a top tier character does it, its lame because not only is it over-powered but it's brain dead as well.
I think it's moreso that Pac-Man does it in a more innovative way.

I think the reason why people like to see mega man walling people out is more akin to your reasoning.

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
something i made in tribute to our favorite game character:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Abadango just destroyed Nyanco (a donkey kong main) on the TokyOsou stream. Demonstrated exactly with I don't believe we lose to any heavyweights. They lose nuetral hard, and then bell kill confirms (bell z drop -> bell toss) or DITCIT kill confirms seal the deal.

Last edited:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
A neat condition, using orange when people are offstage a ton horizontally then using a melon off stage later on in the match, many people air dodge into it !!!
Also after a late nair on the ground of you di over it true combos into ftilt!

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
How did it go?
13th place. Not too happy about how my Pac is going tbh. I had two matches on stream on the Sunday tourney I went to but unfortunately doesn't look like yesterday's tourney was saved. I'll go and grab the other link for you. http://www.twitch.tv/marteh/b/673354479 I played early on so yeah. Lost to a Toon Link and then a Link (shouldn't have lost to either of them tbh. Kept being killed at low %s but was completely unable to seal stocks especially against the Link player). Then on the tourney yesterday nearly lost to a Fox (still think this MU is in Fox's favour) before switching to Mac and winning. Then lost first game to a Ganon (again, killing issues are ruining me atm). Switched to Mac and got ganoncided on stream with a massive lead. Completely regret screwing that up. Then lost to a Pikachu in losers who I could have beaten but again, kill issues and then flubbing inputs as Little Mac. I didn't SD though which was nice.

http://qldsmash.com/Players/WA?p=Maribro all recent results for me can be found here.

BSP

Smash Legend
At least you didn't SD.

I wish people would pay more attention to Pac-Man. I'm reading some of the things in competitive impressions, and it's sad that a character with solutions to Rosalina tactics gets ignored. We can consistently challenge and beat her Uair, can combo Luma offstage with an aerial, and we benefit the most from setup time out of anyone in the game.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
At least you didn't SD.

I wish people would pay more attention to Pac-Man. I'm reading some of the things in competitive impressions, and it's sad that a character with solutions to Rosalina tactics gets ignored. We can consistently challenge and beat her Uair, can combo Luma offstage with an aerial, and we benefit the most from setup time out of anyone in the game.
I'm no longer posting in that thread. I defend our character too much and people still ignore me.

Edit: Or I should probably stop being so aggressive...

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm no longer posting in that thread. I defend our character too much and people still ignore me.

Edit: Or I should probably stop being so aggressive...
Considering our character still has 2 serious names in the competitive scene, it might be a good idea. People want to see results, which we're not going to get until more of us travel or others see what Pac-Man brings to the table.

I can't blame them for being skeptical since most of Pac-Man's stuff is easily dealt with (in a vacuum...) and our strengths are very subtle. We lack a clear winning strategy unlike the other good characters and we don't have many auto combos, Luma, no grab, etc. Half of our specials can be used against us, so we're unique in that regard too.

I practiced Key recovery on various stages for around 30 minutes last night. I still need to get completely comfortable with my Melon z drop timings in order for it to be gushed how I want. I still haven't been incorporating delayed hydrant launches using the upwards water spout. Who else takes all this effort? It's not wonder he's not used much.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Hell, I just practiced some bell combos last night. By standing on top of the hydrant, item tossing a bell upwards, and then up throwing an opponent, the bell hits twice and stuns during the second hit for a possible follow up.

He's fun, but yes, he requires work.

Last edited:

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
We've already touched on this but he just comes off shallower than he actually is. His normals aren't all that spectacular compared to a lot of the cast, and his frame data is pretty average. The average pick-up-player will try pacman for a match or two and think things like:

"Huh, this down-b is underwhelming, it's easily dodged and the water doesn't even hurt them."
"Ugh all these fruits are so random...key is probably the best one but it takes so long to charge."
"Up+b is such slow, predictable recovery" *proceeds to soleley use trampoline for recovery*
"This character just doesn't look very cool compared to all the cool swordfighters and pokemon and quick/responsive higher tiers"

In short, people want instant gratification. So it's understandable they look elsewhere than Pacman. With all these things hampering his popularity it's no surprise he is underrated. But it will happen, slowly but steadily, people will learn. The game is still in its infancy, after all.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Man I love using pac, people ignore him because he takes actual skill ! It sucks that theres so many brain dead characters, easy characters, and plain characters that can wall us out if we dont act accordingly .. BUT he needs practice he requires you to use him a lot but people only care about instant result.. So many people use sheik on the ladder now, just because its easy wins.

I also played Dabuz today ! 3 stocked his roy but got 2 stocked by his rosalina, i simply got walled out @ BSP BSP how did you do it ?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Just feel like talking about my tourney yesterday.

So I won my last two wi-fi tournies so I decided to make the trip to play off-line tournies again. I wans't expecting to win snce the competition is strong off-line, I am playing on the WI-U and not 3ds and I'm outside the comfort of my own home. I didn't care about placing what I really wanted to do is make an upset, I've had some pretty good placings but even with hat I've never beaten anyone people consider a stronger player, I was hoping ot change that.

First round I get a Rosalina player that I know I'm a bit stronger than. I was expecting a much hardter time than I got. While I still think Rosa wins the matchup I'm starting to agee with Pacman9 and BSP that Rosalina doesn't win the neutral as long as Pacman remains patient.

Second round I had TSB Chaos who would have been an upset had I won. The last time we played was closed enough so I was excited. He mains Bowser/Shiek (last set was Pacman vs Bowser) but for some reason went Diddy first match, probably cuz he's seen me get wrecked by Diddy in the past. He starts out really strong but I adapt and win(I think it was his first time seeing the Lazy Fruit :p). It's my first time ever taking a match from a strong Diddy offline so I'm proud of that. Game two he switches to Shiek and within 20 seconds in the match and at 20% I nair off stage and by habit I try using my Meter trampoline recovery which fails to get back to the ledge. Surprisingly I played well the rest of the set and match to bring him to mid percent on his last stock. I'm starting to think this matchup isn't as awful for Pacman as I thought, if you Pacman remains patient AND FLEXIBLE he can keep up with Shiek, it's very stage dependent. Final match was against Lucina, against whom I kept the lead the entire match but he clutched out the victory(On a side note don't underestimate the power of a age Lucina's F-smash and also her F-smash out ranges our grab)

In losers my match was agaisnt a Toon Link player who is about as good as me(we would have been seeded about the same) but he has 2-0 record victory over me. I've had a lot of practice in this matchup lately so I was confident. I'm caught off guard by his aggressiveness game 1 and he beats me but I adapt and win the set 2-1. Next set was against Ike player who I've beaten in the past(With Robin, not Pacman though) game 1 he beats me, where at this point I look for the ear phone extension I bought to plug into the TV specifically because i knew the noise in the venue would distract me and I couldn't find it. I wasn't in the right mindset and I lost the set. I don't think I'll try lazy fruit or Battlefield against Ike again, neither seem too effective.

Anywho in the end I didn't achieve my goal of making a goal and it wasn't the highest I've placed at this series I'm still proud of my performance though, it's the first time I've had fun at an off-line tourney in a while. I may start going to more again.

BSP

Smash Legend
Aggro Rosalina has been giving me more trouble than campy as of late. The halos and galaxies are dumb.

I wouldn't pick Battlefield against anyone with a range advantage or faster air attacks than us. So against a lot of people :\

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I always have more issues on platformed stages. The exception is Duck Hunt. I love playing on that, just enough wide area to maintain stage control in the middle, with oddly placed platforms that don't really get in the way so much as help you with your fruit angles/hydrant launch mixups.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
I hate tap jump :(( i always waste my second jump and can barely up tilt with it on

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
On second thought, this isn't all that useful for us. You can simply move your thumb from :GCY: to :GCA: to get the same effect. The only thing this helps with is SH uair, but Pac-Man's uair elevates him too high to catch people on the ground out of a short hop anyway (you have to sink down first, then use it)

The huge deal breaker was that tap jump takes away the ability to DITCIT. All those kill confirms lost?

Yeah, I'm definitely not changing to tap jump

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
Dunno if this would actually happen, but hopefully this would be everyone after Abadango anhiliates everyone at EVO successfully.
Also, 100th Post on Smashboards! I know I don't really talk too much here though, to be honest, but eh. I'm feeling happy.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Does anyone have advice on dealing with Luigi? Recently a certain Luigi player has been making me feel helpless in the MU. It does help that we play a lot so he does have a good idea of how to deal with Pacman, but TBH it isn't a huge factor; the issue lies in the fact that Luigi seems to dominate me in the neutral game.

I can't seem to beat Fair unless I predicted it waaaaay early, and fireballs hinder my game severely.

Yes I know I can SideB punish them, but then what? I now have a dot in front of me, but can still get punished for either picking it up or trying to charge fruit behind it. With a dot in front of me, I can't jab to stop an approach as I will grab the dot instead, and if I move away from it, then I am just giving Luigi space and giving Luigi a free heal (He can throw a fireball past it and eat it for free).

I am already placing a trampoline between us to stop run up grab, but he can just stand behind it and throw fireballs to wait it out. Admittedly, in this scenario I do get a few heals off or charge to a slightly higher fruit behind the dot.

This leads to another point: The only fruit to outright BEAT fireballs is key (And maybe bell, haven't tested it with Bell, but that's not exactly a counter zoning tool). I can't fight using only key. I do admit I have more success keeping a key charged and fighting normally then punishing fireballs with key, but once key is gone my neutral game returns to a less than ideal state, and key doesn't give me much of an advantage state.

As for Fair... well do we have anything to outright beat it in neutral without relying on prediction?

Honestly I feel like I must be missing something, because I don't understand how this MU is giving me so much trouble.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Does anyone have advice on dealing with Luigi? Recently a certain Luigi player has been making me feel helpless in the MU. It does help that we play a lot so he does have a good idea of how to deal with Pacman, but TBH it isn't a huge factor; the issue lies in the fact that Luigi seems to dominate me in the neutral game.

I can't seem to beat Fair unless I predicted it waaaaay early, and fireballs hinder my game severely.

Yes I know I can SideB punish them, but then what? I now have a dot in front of me, but can still get punished for either picking it up or trying to charge fruit behind it. With a dot in front of me, I can't jab to stop an approach as I will grab the dot instead, and if I move away from it, then I am just giving Luigi space and giving Luigi a free heal (He can throw a fireball past it and eat it for free).

I am already placing a trampoline between us to stop run up grab, but he can just stand behind it and throw fireballs to wait it out. Admittedly, in this scenario I do get a few heals off or charge to a slightly higher fruit behind the dot.

This leads to another point: The only fruit to outright BEAT fireballs is key (And maybe bell, haven't tested it with Bell, but that's not exactly a counter zoning tool). I can't fight using only key. I do admit I have more success keeping a key charged and fighting normally then punishing fireballs with key, but once key is gone my neutral game returns to a less than ideal state, and key doesn't give me much of an advantage state.

As for Fair... well do we have anything to outright beat it in neutral without relying on prediction?

Honestly I feel like I must be missing something, because I don't understand how this MU is giving me so much trouble.
Just gotta keep up being super lame. He can't get past the trampoline without a full jump, if he decides to just throw fireballs
rain apples, cherries or strawberries on his head. Water from the hydrant messes with his approach too.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ

Well his Fair comes out on frame 7, so you should be able to beat it with your own. Better yet, I would wall him out with Bair if he tried coming in from the air. Bair is a good trade with his Fair, but you have to space it (like usual)

When he spams fireballs behind the trampoline, you already know that you should put up a pellet wall and heal. Why you also should do is charge up to an apple, galaxian, bell, or key to hit over the trampoline.
When you power pellet a fireball you should always wait behind it and see what the Luigi will do. Charge up fruit immediately, and then cancel it into Trampoline to stop any approach he has. You can also ftilt him to stop his dash grab.

As long as you space him out properly, he shouldn't give you much trouble. I also recommend taking advantage of fireball spam with your hydrant. Free Fair launched hydrants for dayz (this will definitely stop him from throwing them out liberally)

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
On second thought, this isn't all that useful for us. You can simply move your thumb from :GCY: to :GCA: to get the same effect. The only thing this helps with is SH uair, but Pac-Man's uair elevates him too high to catch people on the ground out of a short hop anyway (you have to sink down first, then use it)

The huge deal breaker was that tap jump takes away the ability to DITCIT. All those kill confirms lost?

Yeah, I'm definitely not changing to tap jump
I play with tap jump on and I can still DITCIT

Or does this only affect forward throwing DITCIT?

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm assuming you're always behind a trampoline, and you should be. Outside of a clutch misfire, Luigi shouldn't be able to punish whiffed trampoline attempts if he's on the other side of the trampoline when you place it.

So like this:

______Luigi________Trampoline________Pac-Man___________

Don't leave a pellet on the ground unless you've got a trampoline up. Otherwise, you run into the problem you described...more or less. A close range pellet shield should be close enough for Pac-Man to eat without Luigi being able to punish even without a trampoline up. Regardless, always have a trampoline up IMO.

If he chooses to wait out the trampoline, do what you said and pellet shield -> sit behind the pellet and charge to Apple or Key. As Meleebrawler said, you have Cherry, Strawberry, and Apple to throw at him from above. Trampoline lasts long enough for you to charge to Key. Once you get the Key, fireball becomes unsafe for him. Keep setting up trampolines and hover your finger over the special button. If he throws a fireball, you Key him while the trampoline prevents him from doing anything you can't react to.

When your trampoline is about to disappear, plant a hydrant so that the water will cover you setting a new one.

It hasn't happened to me yet, but if Luigi chooses to do absolutely nothing when you've got Key ready and trampoline up, go get the Key in your hand. At that point, constantly instant launch hydrants at him until he decides to do something about it.

This leads to another point: The only fruit to outright BEAT fireballs is key (And maybe bell, haven't tested it with Bell, but that's not exactly a counter zoning tool). I can't fight using only key
Bell loses its hitbox to Mario's fireballs, so I'm guessing it's the same deal with Luigi's. IDK why the devs didn't think Melon should beat them, but w/e.

You can fight with only Key. Predictable or not, it's still a 15% KO move that travels very quickly and cuts through fireballs.

I do admit I have more success keeping a key charged and fighting normally then punishing fireballs with key, but once key is gone my neutral game returns to a less than ideal state, and key doesn't give me much of an advantage state.
I disagree. We contain Luigi's neutral very well.

When you see Luigi jump, throw a Bair at him. If you're standing right behind your trampoline, shield the Fair and attempt to punish him when he gets bounced up. Like Pacman9 said, our Fair is faster as well. If Luigi is jumping over the trampoline to get at you, pivot Fsmash him or Dtilt his landing if you want to be safe.

You have to play all out control mode and be patient in this MU. You said you don't fight Rosalina the way I commonly describe, so it must be against your natural tendency.

Also, notice you didn't say anything about Luigi's grab game. That means you're already doing the right things because that's usually how Luigi gets his mileage in this game. Like I said vs. Mario, you will rarely get grabbed in this MU if you don't want to. Not saying you won't eat another punish sometimes, but you're not getting grabbed.

Edit:

Tournament today and it should be pretty big. I'll show people what Pac-Man can do once again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom