• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac N' Jump- A Trampoline Tricks/Techniques Guide

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Looking to implement Trampoline to my playstyle, but I keep finding it unuseful - constantly it's used against me because the foes ain't afraid to jump on it and even take time to use multiple bounces to bait me for a counterattack or just attack right from the spot.

Any videos on more in-depth use of Trampoline?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Looking to implement Trampoline to my playstyle, but I keep finding it unuseful - constantly it's used against me because the foes ain't afraid to jump on it and even take time to use multiple bounces to bait me for a counterattack or just attack right from the spot.

Any videos on more in-depth use of Trampoline?
If they want to just bounce on it, use that time to charge your fruit and set up a hydrant. I don't know why they would want to give you that advantage. The trampoline is good for making the opponent's approach more limited, and as an awesome OoS.

You can even do cool things like this:
http://youtu.be/kLCNpw4Jo0Y
Tramp tricks start at 5:23

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
If they want to just bounce on it, use that time to charge your fruit and set up a hydrant. I don't know why they would want to give you that advantage. The trampoline is good for making the opponent's approach more limited, and as an awesome OoS.

You can even do cool things like this:
http://youtu.be/kLCNpw4Jo0Y
Tramp tricks start at 5:23
That video's a plain holy grail, thanks for sharing!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

Next one will actually have a lot more trampoline traps.

That said best use of trampoline is still OoS IMO. Trampoline OoS kills rush down so hard and punishes everything from unsafe moves to invincible defensive options.
Trampoline OoS is what allows us to beat Shiek, keep up with Diddy and CF, etc.

Last edited:

Frycicle

Smash Rookie

Next one will actually have a lot more trampoline traps.

That said best use of trampoline is still OoS IMO. Trampoline OoS kills rush down so hard and punishes everything from unsafe moves to invincible defensive options.
Trampoline OoS is what allows us to beat Shiek, keep up with Diddy and CF, etc.
I really enjoyed when you would place the trap right underneath the spawn point of their new stock, never thought of that. Great video.

Also, first post in here. Hope to get to know you guys better over time and share the love with the best character out there!

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Alright, so I know that @ fromundaman fromundaman stated that the trampoline interrupts teleports, but I didn't realize that it also could help us in the meta knight matchup.

Warionumbah2 likes to state that his dimensional cape could escape ledge traps and other traps we make with our tools...but boy was he wrong. Putting a trampoline in the middle of a trap puts him right in the middle of said trap if he tries to dimensional cape out of it.

Abuse this!!!

Say you set up a hydrant and z drop a fruit on top to gush the fruit

Conveniently slip a trampoline under the hydrant before you begin. This way, if the meta knight tries to use his cape to get past the flying fruit, he gets blasted up by the trampoline into our incoming bair/fsmash/nair you name it.

The possibilities get even more lethal with meteor trampoline...he can dimensional cape right into a red trampoline, get buried, and eat a free inky.
(Sorry fromundaman ^^;
I know you don't like customs, but I wanted to add in that part for the people who do)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oh no worries. In fact, I encourage you guys to find the most broken stuff you can with customs. Right now they are what is popular, so go abuse them and win with them.

After all, the best way to prove that something is broken is to prove it.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
You guys know the hydrant ledge trap? (knock hydrant with trampoline on the ledge to beat most options)
Well, this is what you can do to those who know about it and decide to wait it out. (it was accidental, but... today's accident is tomorrow's set-up)

Also, apparently you can't *completely* prevent yourself from getting spiked with the trampoline: you have to do it a bit early, or else...

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
Hahaha wow, that Hydrant Ledge Trap is boss. It really opens up my strategies for ledge guarding, especially since the 2nd time I tried to perform it, I got the spacing off just a pinch, but had a trampoline set up, some how I landed on the hydrant and was able to get like 2 good hits in while they were stuck bouncing haha.

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Can you put the trampoline in a place so that the 1 frame where you aren't invincible after a recovery launches them?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You guys know the hydrant ledge trap? (knock hydrant with trampoline on the ledge to beat most options)
Well, this is what you can do to those who know about it and decide to wait it out. (it was accidental, but... today's accident is tomorrow's set-up)

Also, apparently you can't *completely* prevent yourself from getting spiked with the trampoline: you have to do it a bit early, or else...
I love that ledge trap, but I find it faster and more effective to jab launch hydrant then run in and put a trampoline.
By doing a jab launched hydrant, the hydrant hits under the ledge, preventing them from waiting it out, always knocks them away from the stage (The trampoline launched one is inconsistent and sometimes sends them into the stage). At the right distance the hydrant stays on the ledge and bounces back and forth, forcing an action.
The jab launched version also lets you set up the red trampoline trap for if they do avoid it. If you read an early ledge drop you can also run off Nair/Bair/Fair/etc instead of placing the trampoline, meaning even if they find the ONLY way out of this situation, it becomes a 50/50.

This honestly gets me a lot of my kills. Against people who play me regularly, they often recover high now and eat landing traps to avoid that stupid ledge situation, but that still works for me.

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
So after reading all this, I'm having trouble getting it out mid match because the end lag is the same as say mario using up b in the middle of the stage, it's a free punish and now you're too far from it to work around it.....advice???

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
So after reading all this, I'm having trouble getting it out mid match because the end lag is the same as say mario using up b in the middle of the stage, it's a free punish and now you're too far from it to work around it.....advice???
You can always retreat to the ledge. If you use it against someone with bad mobility like luigi, it's free.

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
But at that point you're against the ledge with two ways to fall, grab the ledge, or land on the other side.... neither are safe and now have Luigi jumping up and pimp slapping you with fair. .lol

flipmode

Smash Cadet
NNID
flipzmodex
Here's my Trampoline combo :) ENJOY!

BONUS VIDEO!

My Death Trap-O-Line

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Is there a specific setup you're having trouble doing, or incorporating trampoline in general?

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Well I guess the goal as pac man is to make the neutral game not so neutral, so however they choose to approach or escape can be handled, trampoline is one of the three tools he has but I have trouble getting it out without getting punished.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well I guess the goal as pac man is to make the neutral game not so neutral, so however they choose to approach or escape can be handled, trampoline is one of the three tools he has but I have trouble getting it out without getting punished.
I see.

-Well one safe way would be making sure it hits; the move is safe on hit (Except at low % vs some characters).

-Another way to set up a trampoline is simply lay it down too far for the opponent to reach you then stay behind it to have an anti-approach tool.

-You can also set it up near the ledge and fast fall to grab the ledge. There actually isn't a whole lot people can do to ledge trap you if you have a trampoline in front of the ledge. That said, keep in mind that this also limits your options as you can no longer do a ledge getup, ledge roll or ledge attack.

-Set up a trampoline while the opponent is off-stage.

-Throw down a trampoline after a combo/hit with good knockback to set up your position.

I would suggest watching how other Pacman players use this move. I know I spam the **** out of trampoline.

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a lot. These are all super helpful. I've gotten better with hydrant so I figured Its about time I got better with tramp. Lol

BSP

Smash Legend
In addition to what Fromundaman said, trampoline is usually 100% safe if you can grab a ledge. You do have to deal with getting up from the ledge afterwards, but you should make it without taking damage.

As usual with Pac-Man, you have to heavily take into consideration who you're fighting when you decide how you will set up. With trampoline, it's not that difficult to evaluate who will have an easier time punishing it.

Low mobility characters like Luigi and Ganon virtually can't punish for a full retreat trampoline, even on whiff. You can get away with spamming it against characters like them.

Characters like Mario, Wario, Yoshi, and Jiggs have rather high air speeds. On whiff, you may be able to avoid getting struck before your shield comes up, but you can rest assured that the opponent will be right on your tail, and you may not be able to avoid getting grabbed.

Characters like Fox, Falcon, and Sonic can easily punish you for whiffed trampoline unless you grab a ledge. I think they can punish you on hit at lower % unless you grab ledge.

Just keep playing the game and over time you'll get a feel of who you can get with trampoline more often.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So I discovered that grabbing with that Galaga Beam on someone at the other side of the trampoline, it instantly activates for both Pac and the opponent.

Wonder if this can be combined with a launchable hydrant for a mix-up trap?

Revibe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Revibe
3DS FC
2380-4883-4721
Here's my Trampoline combo :) ENJOY!

BONUS VIDEO!

My Death Trap-O-Line

Awesome!
Hey, do you have any videos about Fruit Combo's at the Edge. Like when you throw cherries or strawberries and the hug the edge, and you can spam damage on your opponent. Sometimes it even works like Bowsers Fire and can slip the opponent into a knock out.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
A lower reliance on trampoline for defense seems like a good idea to me. Against zoners, trampolines are virtually useless as defense tools so I would stick to using them as tools for beating shield (and KOing with fruits in the hand)

Ledge traps are always a boon in any matchup. I would also rely less on trampolines against fast rush down characters in nuetral. Use it when your opponent is flying away to make it harder for them to get to you while you set up another onslaught.

Spam it only against opponents with awful air games or awful mobility (without zoning projectiles)

Edit: Although, a diagonal trampoline may make using trampoline against fast characters much easier

Last edited:

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
i noticed this as a side effect when i turned tap jump off for ditcit, it goes farther than jump cancelling upb

Top Bottom