• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pac West DotA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles.

Smash Champion
lol

some *** was trashtalking me for having 2.7k at 6 minutes :[
I played EM and had 12 minutes guisoo and they called me bad.
( FB and 3 kills)

I have the replay its comedy.

I creep pulled and they were like

"WTF ARE YOU DOING TO THE CREEPS"

"NOOB NOOB NOOB"

rofl

$ick

Smash Lord
Careful Jake the beezy. I have some crazy AIM logs saved.

And I'm pretty sure that makes me a little bit cooler not knowing what it was.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I play PA if I find myself in em

so easy

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
lol, clinkz was the first hero i learned

as soon as i saw another hero, i just wwed away

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
haha. i started with sniper. but i couldnt ever do anything right. and i was all clinkz is like the same but with ww so i wont get ***** as much. now im not getting ***** as much.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
clinkz is easy, just harass with fire arrows early game while last hitting everything

go bracers->treads->mkb->butterfly->heart

then when ganking, wait for someone to initiate then just ****

PA is more fun, you just blink in when there are a ton of creeps around during a fight and no one will notice you there until they see the 1k+ crits :laugh:

i get internet in my apartment tomorrows, so im probably going to be on the majority of the weekend unless i decide to go to s&c or something

Miharu

Smash Hero
haha. i started with sniper. but i couldnt ever do anything right. and i was all clinkz is like the same but with ww so i wont get ***** as much. now im not getting ***** as much.
Play heroes with a natural escape mechanism then.

QOP POTM AM MORPH VOID ETC

Blink/Pseduo blinks > WW

then again it's pubs so....truesight overrated

and never get bracers then agi treads after; it's a ******** waste of money. Get wraiths then str treads instead (bracers cost more than wraiths). also you might want bkb on clinkz so you can do something instead of getting stunned 24/7

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
lol just play luna

if anyone chases you, cast your ult

The Great Leon

Smash Champion
i usually go something like wraith wraith wraith, str treads, mkb, butterfly next if the game takes too long. i just need to play more and learn more heroez. im like 1 step above a total noob.

mrtracy

Smash Journeyman
how often do you guys play? my sn is itburns and i'm definitely no noob. if you guys ih or something let me know, as long as there are no rq/qq or leavers in general = P

Miharu

Smash Hero
i usually play every night after dinner or so

we're probably going to scrim tonight so iono about casual pub/ih

tourney starts next week D:

DCmoney1255

Smash Journeyman
Play heroes with a natural escape mechanism then.

QOP POTM AM MORPH VOID ETC

Blink/Pseduo blinks > WW

then again it's pubs so....truesight overrated

and never get bracers then agi treads after; it's a ******** waste of money. Get wraiths then str treads instead (bracers cost more than wraiths). also you might want bkb on clinkz so you can do something instead of getting stunned 24/7
actually if you are playing non-em games, buying bracers/wraiths are a big waste of money with an extremely small list of exceptions.. If you are playing easy mode games then it doesnt matter what u buy cuz easy mode is a joke lol

Miharu

Smash Hero
actually if you are playing non-em games, buying bracers/wraiths are a big waste of money with an extremely small list of exceptions.. If you are playing easy mode games then it doesnt matter what u buy cuz easy mode is a joke lol
You kidding me?

+3 to all stats + an additional 3 to your primary stat can make a difference (considering you usually get anywhere from 2-4 bracers/nulls/wraiths).

So let's list a hero where basic items are beneficial:

Nevermore - paper thin hero, needs wraiths/bracers for hp, additional damage comes in handy, and extra int for raze/RoS

pretty much applies to EVERY hero; most heroes just get bracers for cheap hp

don't say "just get a vit booster"; compare what you get from 3 bracers to what you get from a vit booster

if you're playing with total idiots, then yeah go straight skadi or whatever the **** you want

but not getting basic items is otherwise pretty stupid, they give cheap stats (hp/damage/mana), and you can always sell them off later to make room for bigger ticket items

typical mentality you get from playing too many afk rightclicking pub games, where you literally can go for 50 minutes without getting ganked

it's a big reason why TB usually goes SnY over straight radi/skadi if he's jungling (may be different if you're being sat by lock/sp in a babysitter lane, but that's a different story) due to the easier buildup and immediately available benefits (ie compare what you get from a 2.25k yasha from what you get from 3.8k relic, given you're taking time into consideration)

but yeah go play higher level games if you think this way; you'll soon be proven very wrong

mrb1tch3s

Smash Ace
Braces/Wraiths are good beginning game. They help you kill creeps faster and keep people from pushing your lane too early. Soon as you get money sell them and get something else.
Axe: 2 Vanguards, Treads/Assault Cuirass, Heart, Butterfly, Vlads/Blade Mail maybe. +spin. Get *****.

Weimdog

Smash Journeyman
However, if you're looking to play competitively, that's a whole different story. And yes, most people don't realize how difficult strategizing is at higher levels of play (mostly picks/bans then team synergies). But I'd argue that the learning curve for DotA is pretty easy when compared to the curve for traditional RTS like ladder and SC.
Too true. I still have the replays of me and a past team trying to get our teamwork together, and figuring out when to pick who and ban who. Yuck, I still shudder from that ****.

I'm sure everyone has guessed it by now, but this guy knows what he's talking about (from all his posts so far). Anyone playing at pub level could improve their game a lot by listening to this guy. And denying. Haha, I'm funny.

Miharu, I play mostly on East servers, but occasionally come to West (in the past only for scrims/inhouses). I'm Weimdog on both, but only TDA accepted on East(Azeroth?) I think. I'd like to play with you sometime, hopefully I'll learn a thing or two. :)

Edit: Oh and if you're playing against idiots, may as well go bradwarden with a dagon. With the .49 buff to dagon its even nicer. If you think pudge is a terrific tank/assassin, PLEASE give Dagon CW a try. The dude can pretty much dive all 3 towers at level 6 to score his combo, -em or no.

DCmoney1255

Smash Journeyman
You kidding me?

+3 to all stats + an additional 3 to your primary stat can make a difference (considering you usually get anywhere from 2-4 bracers/nulls/wraiths).

Nevermore - paper thin hero, needs wraiths/bracers for hp, additional damage comes in handy, and extra int for raze/RoS

don't say "just get a vit booster"; compare what you get from 3 bracers to what you get from a vit booster

if you're playing with total idiots, then yeah go straight skadi or whatever the **** you want

but not getting basic items is otherwise pretty stupid, they give cheap stats (hp/damage/mana), and you can always sell them off later to make room for bigger ticket items

typical mentality you get from playing too many afk rightclicking pub games, where you literally can go for 50 minutes without getting ganked

it's a big reason why TB usually goes SnY over straight radi/skadi if he's jungling (may be different if you're being sat by lock/sp in a babysitter lane, but that's a different story) due to the easier buildup and immediately available benefits (ie compare what you get from a 2.25k yasha from what you get from 3.8k relic, given you're taking time into consideration)

but yeah go play higher level games if you think this way; you'll soon be proven very wrong

in understand ur arguments because thats exactly my mindset when i first started playing it.. but after a long time of playing it ive come to alot of realizations, and its definitely harder to explain thru typing it. i wasnt trying to prove you wrong i was merely voicing my opinion after my stint of playing this game

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Braces/Wraiths are good beginning game. They help you kill creeps faster and keep people from pushing your lane too early. Soon as you get money sell them and get something else.
you're not suppose to be killing creeps fast early game

stop autoing

and its good to have your lane pushed back to your tower, other hero has to be careful about getting close

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
why the hell would you buy braces/wraiths and then sell them when you get money. Youd waste so much....

you sell them when inventorys full :/

Miharu

Smash Hero
in understand ur arguments because thats exactly my mindset when i first started playing it.. but after a long time of playing it ive come to alot of realizations, and its definitely harder to explain thru typing it. i wasnt trying to prove you wrong i was merely voicing my opinion after my stint of playing this game
Just posting my response to said opinion. Playing for a long time doesn't make you good at DotA anyways, if that's what you're trying to imply. And yes, you have to be up to a certain level at DotA before your opinion on gameplay really does start to matter.

why the hell would you buy braces/wraiths and then sell them when you get money. Youd waste so much....

you sell them when inventorys full :/
Yeah, that's what I meant.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
I played DotA full-time before Brawl was released. It was the only game I played.

Silmarien is my SN on US-West... if I ever play again.

DCmoney1255

Smash Journeyman
Just posting my response to said opinion. Playing for a long time doesn't make you good at DotA anyways, if that's what you're trying to imply. And yes, you have to be up to a certain level at DotA before your opinion on gameplay really does start to matter.

o snap, look what i started lol.. i wasnt implying anything. In non-em games, every single gold is huge and buying the wrong item at the wrong time could result in a loss. if u play dota even at an average level you should know this unless u play easy mode games all day. selling back a bracer or wraith band is a big loss in gold.. saving for items lane holding items like persev are infinitely better. you can easily farm a persev in 10-14 min depending on who ur laning against but that isnt for every hero.. i generally go straight persev for any hero cept DPS.. but of course you change ur decisions based on team makeup, lane opponents, and whole lotta other things

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, I can't imagine mrb1tch3s being good at any game.

Goodnight choknater. I'm going to sleep too.

Pre-lol @ any future posts about us going to sleep at the same time.

orbit

Smash Rookie
You kidding me?

since you listed two carry heroes, ill assume youre saying that 3 bracers/wraiths is a build for carry heroes, not necessarily support/tanks/w.e . if youre playing "high level" like you say, then youre playing with a team you practice with. if youre playing with a team you practice with, youve got some serious issues if your carry heroes have to get 3 bracers to avoid getting ganked all day. as for holding a lane, you can do that with 5 branches and 6 tangos (or i guess 9 now with 6.55, havent played this version yet).

really though it all depends on your team makeup and which hero you have.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Mista B said:
Axe: 2 Vanguards, Treads/Assault Cuirass, Heart, Butterfly, Vlads/Blade Mail maybe. +spin. Get *****.
I love the unprovoked random build at the end of that post. No sarcasm, it made me smile. Anyways, when you say "Treads/Assault Cuirass" are you implying that you would get either treads or assault cuirass? Maybe I'm missing the notation, and maybe I dont know this game as well as some other people but any axe that get has butterfly as a definite check, and treads (or boots for that matter) as a maybe seems silly to me.

Miharu

Smash Hero

o snap, look what i started lol.. i wasnt implying anything. In non-em games, every single gold is huge and buying the wrong item at the wrong time could result in a loss. if u play dota even at an average level you should know this unless u play easy mode games all day. selling back a bracer or wraith band is a big loss in gold.. saving for items lane holding items like persev are infinitely better. you can easily farm a persev in 10-14 min depending on who ur laning against but that isnt for every hero.. i generally go straight persev for any hero cept DPS.. but of course you change ur decisions based on team makeup, lane opponents, and whole lotta other things

Wraiths/bracers let you HOLD the lane. Do you not get tangoes or what? Also, pers isn't for EVERY hero, especially not roaming gankers, who won't really even be able to farm up the required 875 gold for roh/void. They also help IMMENSELY with lasthitting/survival; regen =/= survival, since regening at 4 hp/s isn't going to save your *** from burst damage, whereas an increase in max hp would. Tangoes do well enough for regen. Not saying pers isn't a good item, but getting bracers/wraiths help you get to that pers FASTER than if you didn't have them, since more stats = more hp/mana/etc, which allows you to LAST HIT better. And when it comes time to clear up an inventory slot, it's not so much a 200 gold since the gold that you've spent is already long gone, and it's more like you get an extra 200+ to get to whatever item you need. It's a difficult concept to grasp, but if you don't really trust what I'm seeing, feel free to go watch some high-level replays (MYM/SK/mouz/H2O/TPD/Ks/etc), and you'll see that they in fact DO bother getting wraiths/bracers/nulls. I wonder why.

Going straight for pers without any early regen/items is ********. Against any competent player, they'll notice your lack of regen, and harass you until you can't lane; what are you going to do then? And 95% pubs can't lane worth ****, if you're wondering.

Not to sound arrogant, but I'm almost 100% sure that I play DotA at a higher level than you do, just based off what you're saying right now.

since you listed two carry heroes, ill assume youre saying that 3 bracers/wraiths is a build for carry heroes, not necessarily support/tanks/w.e . if youre playing "high level" like you say, then youre playing with a team you practice with. if youre playing with a team you practice with, youve got some serious issues if your carry heroes have to get 3 bracers to avoid getting ganked all day. as for holding a lane, you can do that with 5 branches and 6 tangos (or i guess 9 now with 6.55, havent played this version yet).

really though it all depends on your team makeup and which hero you have.
Wraiths are for agi heroes (99% of the time), but bracers honestly can go on whoever needs them. Ward*****es/roaming gankers who are ALSO low on hp tend to go bracers, such as VS/lina/cm/lich/lock/sven/etc (although some choose to get nulls if they need a larger mana pool like NA, or those who pump stats like lock sometimes can just go branches+mek etc).

Bracers provide CHEAP STATS AND MANA. In return, they help you get more money in the form of more herokills/creepkills, and thus are used as stepping stones towards bigger items. Also, there are some heroes like SF who are just begging to be ganked. SF in particular, because he has relatively low hp, no natural escape mechanism, and is somewhat easier to deal with if he's shut down early (if you don't stop him early, then he's free to quickly farm to bkb/dagger/lothars/whatever and start wrecking teamfights from there). Even the best players can't escape from some ganks, even with full vision + good map awareness.

Branches are fine, but it's usually still more advisable to get early bracers simply for the cheap hp and so on. Really can't stress how important that is. Another key part is that they're EASY to build up, which the most expensive part being the circlet, which is 185, as opposed to something like a point booster which is 1.2k. If you're a hero like CM, it's wiser to get bracers FIRST, then get the point booster later; otherwise, you'll be an easy target to kill while you're saving up for your slightly more expensive item. Might be a different story if you're something like tree (not all heroes need get bracers).

And of course it's not set in stone. You can vary your builds if you're doing extremely well, get more cheap items if you aren't, and so on.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
not to sound arrogant, but [precedes to sound arrogant.]

come on man, you know dat **** is gonna sound arrogant. may as well unleash da fury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom