• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Panda's Discoveries! (New AT, Auto-RAR, and C-stick Neutrals) UPDATE: NAME DECIDED!

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Awesome discovery. I have a separate name with this control scheme set up just in case I use it. Considering I main Marth, it's pretty tough to live without c-stick smashing...

Glix

Smash Cadet
Wow, this stuff is cool.

I bet setting the c-stick to throw is pretty nice, makes the new turn around dashing grab even easier to pull off (dash right, slam c-stick left)

xandeR-

Smash Apprentice
Congrats.

You broke Lucas. >.<

These are crazy finding but there's no way I could change to it, even as a Marth player. Just would mess with my mind.

Lucas players though, this will be the standard I believe. That PK Fire thing is SO good.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Absolutely amazing! I can't wait to see what Samus and Zamus can do! *STILL waiting for brawl to be delivered on high priority shipping*

Qinopio

Smash Journeyman
Awesome, I cant wait to try this. I wonder what else can be achieved with novel control configurations.

GaleForce

Smash Rookie
Wow, this is really nice. The auto RAR will definately help characters who have a bair as one of their killing moves, and the new AT is definantely a shiny new toy for Lucas.

I know I'm sort of stating the obvious, but I had to express how awesome I feel these discoveries are.

And, while I know that the new AT is fresh out of the oven, have any other characters been able to put it to good use besides Lucas? I'm not near my wii at the moment to try it out, but perhaps Dedede or Olimar might be able to.

Oathblivion

Smash Apprentice
How convienent that you would find this the day after I "discovered" Lucas. Way to go Samurai Panda. Also, I advocate "meteor-sticking" for a name, even though that's kinda lame...

-Oath

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Nice find Panda! As a potential Lucas main I'm definitely going to have to test this out :)

Lord Cheeseball

Smash Rookie
Good ****.

I was trying this C-Stick config out with a bunch of characters; here are my findings:

- Reverse Aerial Special also works amazingly well with Zelda's Side B, almost as well as it does for Lucas. Given the improved range of Din's Fire, it could open up new defensive options to her.

- As said previously, Olimar's Side B is pretty effective using this method also.

- I was messing around with Pikachu, when I discovered that if you use Down B (on the C-stick) after an "Auto-RAR" he flies backwards a bit. Some practical applications might include feigning your opponent or perhaps just throwing up a thunder wall.

- If you do the same thing as above except with Yoshi's Up B, it should produce a similar effect. Input should be: Dash in a direction -> C-stick in opposite direction -> while still holding direction on Analog -> C-Stick Up.

- Reverse Aerial Special with Lucario's Neutral B and Side B look pretty cool, and if his Aura Ball's charge is anything like Mewtwo's than it should be pretty good.

- Also works pretty well with Zero Suit Samus's Neutral B and Side B . Best use I guess would be for edge-guarding below the edge, when simply dropping down wouldn't hit.

Sadly no video :( , however if anyone wants to make a video of some of this stuff, and add it to the first post, that would be splendid.

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Good ****.
Also works pretty well with Zero Suit Samus's Neutral B and Side B . Best use I guess would be for edge-guarding below the edge, when simply dropping down wouldn't hit.
I was going to post this. It's amazing what spacing you can pull off with her Side B. Note that her c-stick smashes are relatively mediocre compared to her forward B, save her downsmash. But because of the nullification of CC'd dsmashes it doesn't really matter much. With the b-sticked RAR -> b-sticked forward B your whip extends to where your body would normally be while your body moves backwards, effectively spacing you away from the opponent in case of a whiff while fully taking advantage of the disjointed sweetspot on the whip. I'd also imagine it's good for her stun gun to counter rushes.

Also, b-stick RARs with airdodges seem to counter rolls pretty well, because after they roll you end up following their roll but you land facing their back, leaving them pretty vulnerable. The only downside of the b-stick rar is that you need to be in a full run animation, (i think, not entirely sure as trying to b-stick out of the dash animation only led to a forward B) so in case you can't capitalize on the first rollchase you won't be able to do it again. In place.

Thanks again, keep it up.

Galt

Smash Journeyman
I think a good name for this technique might be B-sticking. That's a pretty inclusive sort of name, and it'll give the nubs something to post redundant threads about, so all is well, right?

That being said... I don't really see how the little reverse momentum you get with this technique is useful. If this were Melee, you could do it simply with DI, but of course this is Brawl, and since it's not Melee 2.0, maybe it should be Melee 0.5, huh? ... ... Now where was I?

Oh, right, that stuff about Lucas's PK Fire: how will that be useful. Sure, you can spam the fire, but I can shield-cancel my dashes, and powershielding is super-easy now, and I can attack out of shield-cancels. So when I see you jumping for no reason, I'm going to run straight at you and shield, and as I get closer, your lag will be far greater than mine, and I'll punish you. Or I could just crouch under the fire and camp you, which is probably the best option, given Brawl's tendency to punish offensive play.

It's nice to have a simple button for RARs, I suppose, but is it worth completely changing your control scheme? Sure, it sets up a quick and simple meteor for Lucas, but meteor-canceling isn't particularly difficult, and now everyone will know it's coming.

So basically, it's good that you found something which does... something, but I don't really see how it could possibly be seriously useful. Certainly I don't think it makes Lucas broken in any way.

Oh, and one more thing: if you're going to set your stick to specials, why not set your B to smashes? That would make things a bit better for this setup, I think.

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
This totally broke my whole "There's no way I'm changing my control scheme" mindset.

I'm definitely gonna try this with a bunch of people, like Dedede, see if I can get anything interesting out of it. Auto RAR seems particularly useful for him, however, without any testing, I think he won't get too many benefits from the "B-stick".

I'm definitely gonna make an alternate name for Lucas though, because that's just o_o. I remember seeing a "PK waveland" on youtube and thought "Well, eh......sure", but SamuraiPanda's is a true waveland. Hoping to see this used to it's full potential.

Lastly, regarding the whole tournament thing, you should be allowed to bring your Wiimote with your controller data saved onto it. That shouldn't take too long, and doesn't require much effort. People shouldn't be handicapped by being forced to play a certain way (like in the Gamestop tournament -_-).

RazeveX

Smash Ace
has anyone mentioned that it works amazingly well with TOON LINKS SIDE B?!?!?

(probably link too, didnt bother to test)

oh and Ikes side B = ULTIMATE MIND GAMEZZZZ!!!

the opponents like "ok hes going forward...now back...now forwards!!! ahh!!!

Qinopio

Smash Journeyman
This is so useful, and the fact that it works on B-moves besides side-B is incredible.

I find it interesting that there's no way to get forward momentum out of this, but it is a good way to return to the stage after edgeguarding. This is also an easy way to use Bowser's infinite jump - just mash side-C.

I talked with a friend (Zero9teen) earlier about this tech, we thought "wavebouncing" would be a good name.

underrated_talent

Smash Rookie
This is great very good find.....
i wonder how long would it have takin someone else to find out about teching the stick....
im definitely going to try this out, thanks alot

Saje

Smash Cadet
Amazing find, thank you very much for this. I've had quite a bit of difficulty RARing in the left direction for some reason and this makes my life quite a bit simpler. An interesting/annoying point of note, I've found that while PT normally does nothing if you downB in mid-air, if you use C-stick specials, all pokemon will instead jump. Quite a bit confused by that. Terribly annoying as well as at this point in time I find that when I try to Razor Leaf/Rock Smash with the C-stick I burn my jump. Also find myself accidentally switching pokemon with the C-stick set to special, but these are all problems with my input that I just need to adjust to. The ability to autoRAR is just too much for me to give up.

Tin

Smash Journeyman
For the B-sticking technique, you can also achieve similar result by using your regular control, just a little bit harder.

Pretty much, instead of just pressing side-B to do your B move, flick the joystick in the opposite direction in the very beginning before flicking it to the direction you want it to go. I don't know how to word this correctly but let's see if this helps.

To do a regular side B say to the right

-> B (simultaneously)

To do this technique with regular controls

flick it to <- then immediately -> B

I tried it with Lucas and achieved similar results, Lucas being pushed back by the momentum even more so than usual.

comboking

Smash Master
Yes good mindgame

this could be used with Ike's overB I will try it

it would be the perfect Mind game he would move back a little and still move forward

OH and the Auto-RAR could be used to get his back air out and

you could change the directional pad to smashes!

This is so awesome!

kidbu916

Smash Cadet
this could be used with Ike's overB I will try it

it would be the perfect Mind game he would move back a little and still move forward

OH and the Auto-RAR could be used to get his back air out and

you could change the directional pad to smashes!

This is so awesome!
I never even thought about changing the D-Pad to smashes.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Unfortunately, the only thing that can be mapped as smashes (as far as I can tell) is the C-stick. And you CAN map the D-Pad to things, but it doesn't doesn't work like you'd think. If you set the down D-Pad to special, for example, it doesn't do the down special, it does the neutral special, and you have to use the control stick to change which special it does. Really strange IMO :/

saberhof

Smash Master
I am totaly gonna try this, i really liked lucas somehow...and now hes gonna be one of my top three (diddy,snake,lucas)..

so how is it done with lucas?. just running with ControlS and then moving the Cstick forward?...
and does this have any disadvantages,? it looks pretty good for spamming like falco in melee...

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
While B-Sticking is pretty good for a few characters (Lucas and Zelda being the best), what I think is more important is the Auto-RAR, because you cannot screw it up like you can with regular controls. I can't really tell, it also may be faster than a regular RAR though. Also, can you trip on an auto-RAR like you can in the pivot for the normal RAR? Because that'd be an advantage.

Overall though, I'm just not willing to give up easy hyphen smashes and quick smashes for this when I can already RAR, and since I don't play the good characters for this, I probably won't switch. Time will tell.

aho43

Smash Lord
cool stuff, im not willing to give up my cstick tho. the backwards moving overB is the only thing i cant replicate.

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
Here's a little treat for Pikachu mains:

use the auto-RAR then the b-stick'd special for your neutral b.

This would work for anyone who has a downward-tilting special projectile.

Oh, and in general, combining the two techs is oh so sexy... and kinda difficult to pull off at first.

SebIno

Smash Cadet
Great stuff. I wanna try it with Sheik's neutral B, Mario's down B, and Falco's side B.

Also, when you said you could auto-RAR into your meteor, and if you wanted to do a Dair, would that just mean, according to the config you had, dashing in a direction, c-stick in the opposite, and down-Z (Marth's Dair sometimes works better from the opposite direction)?

Top Bottom