• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Panda's Discovery! A new AT: Dash Pivot Cancel (BOTH VIDEOS UP!)

Doval

Smash Lord
Very nice find (again). I have a quick question for anyone though, does it matter what you set your C-Stick to?
No. It's easier to do tilts with a sliding effect straight out the DPC if you have the C-stick set to "Attack," but you can do it manually if you have C-Stick set to Smash and you have enough control and timing with the Analog Stick.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
I like how you named it appropriately, instead of DLX cancelling -.-

This is very proudly the DPC, and not the Pandaman Cancel or anything. :p

Nice find, I'll have to toy with it in training mode and then against real people, but because of the phenomena that have occurred with it so far, I see alot of potential for the future with this.

Pyronic_Star

Smash Champion
ummmmm, does olimar have any real slide distance with this? or am i just doing it wrong?

edit: nvr mind this, just saw that he said its worthless for olimar

Doval

Smash Lord
ummmmm, does olimar have any real slide distance with this? or am i just doing it wrong?
Basically, no. For the character to have a good slide, he/she/it must have a window of opportunity long enough that it'll allow the character to get speed by running the other way before the attack. Olimar's window of opportunity is very small, so you must attack right after he starts moving the other way, and thus he has no speed. Like I said a few posts back, to see your character's window of opportunity just hold shield as he runs the other way; when the shield comes out, the window of opportunity ended.

teamlkakash1

Smash Rookie
this is basically a pivot, u just simply dash then u go into pivot animation then u just smash out of it. i dont think this will be SUPER useful since its hard to do it on a human (theyll shield or jump once they realize your just gonna dash cancel). A better option is to dash dance, trot, dash dance and then pivot. only the 2nd dash dance is only one dash. otherwise imo this is okay

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
This is a very interesting technique, but is it better than just using a move after the dash animation with a true turn around pivot? It certainly isn't faster, but it may be more useful in the sense that it's just another movement option and the attack is sliding back.

KingMak

Smash Cadet
Marth's down smash looks like it could be extremely easily spaced to do a perfect tip, however I can't test it out due to the fact I don't have Brawl with me. How effective is this with his forward smash and ftilts?

teamlkakash1

Smash Rookie
ive used this in melee, as far as im concerned there are the only few that can utilize this technique.

3GOD

Smash Ace
If you prefer to keep C-stick as smashes, you can still perform PDC Dtilts by doing the following:

1) Dash right
2) Turn around by holding down-left
3) C-stick down

The result is that you get the same turn around animation with the C-stick doing a Dtilt instead of a Dsmash.

Also, if you turn off Tap Jump, you can do Utilts similarly (just replace "down" with "up" in the directions above).

I haven't been able to figure out the pivot grab thing that was mentioned earlier, though.

EDIT:

Also, if you have a projectile to throw (like a bomb, grenade, turnip, banana peel, etc.), you can throw the projectile during the sliding animation. For instance, with Toon Link holding a bomb, you can dash right, hold left, and C-stick throw the bomb to the right while you slide to the left. Kind of a "glide toss" effect.

Another possible use of the DPC is to position yourself such that a particular part of your character's Dsmash hits the opponent. In other words, you could run past your opponent, and DPC into a Dsmash such that the first hit of the Dsmash hits your opponent (if your Dsmash hits in front first).

Or if you have a character whose Dsmash hits behind first, you can possibly run right up to someone and DPC such that the back part of your Dsmash hits.

orintemple

Smash Lord
This is a great discovery. Actual a real AT for once. I seems like SP is finding a lot of them. And he is even good enough not to name them after himself, wow.

Gono

Smash Cadet
The name is very long and tedious, why don't we just call it the Gornel for short?

Doval

Smash Lord
This is a very interesting technique, but is it better than just using a move after the dash animation with a true turn around pivot? It certainly isn't faster, but it may be more useful in the sense that it's just another movement option and the attack is sliding back.
That's comparing apples and oranges, since a true pivot is done at the very beginning of a new dash, whereas this is done once you're past the initial dash. Its main usefulness is the sliding effect and being able to merely appear to be running forward with Yoshi, when you're actually still in the turn-around and can attack at any moment.
Or if you have a character whose Dsmash hits behind first, you can possibly run right up to someone and DPC such that the back part of your Dsmash hits.
This would be insanely unwise, because the turn-around takes a long time, and you'd have to do the turn-around within Smashing range anyways. It's the equivalent of trying to run up to your opponent and charging a Falcon Punch in his face.
can u do Kirby's neutral B with this???
You can do any move.

heroboy

Smash Cadet
As Twin Dreams said, this is well known to squirtle players, and can be done with the momentum he gains from the beginning of his turnaround. Perhaps someone can test if other characters can get a boost going forward? I won't be able to do so until after work tonight.

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
darn i was going to post this tech after my speed hugging was confirmed as a true AT. oh well at least its out to the smash community now. great job Samuraipanda. i have many other possible techs i've found ill post them before anyone else does.

3GOD

Smash Ace
This would be insanely unwise, because the turn-around takes a long time, and you'd have to do the turn-around within Smashing range anyways. It's the equivalent of trying to run up to your opponent and charging a Falcon Punch in his face.You can do any move.
Unless they are facing away from you when you approach....maybe. Even then, it's very situational and probably not the best choice.

I am wondering about using this to do TL's first hit of the downsmash without hitting with the other.
Well I'm not sure exactly how well the Toon Link Dsmash thing works or if only the first hit has to hit. I've always gotten both hits with Toon Link and this technique, but it still seems to provide the good horizontal knockback despite the second hit connecting. It's kind of like the second hit is a "phantom hit" and doesn't change the knockback to vertical like it would normally.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Woa, panda, nice discovery. how do you come up with all these new techniques?

Hey, i'm interested to what this does with olimar. Will his pikmen float midair? or wut? Could anyone post a video of olimar doing these techniques? his grab might become even more raw.

Yumil

Smash Cadet
As Twin Dreams said, this is well known to squirtle players, and can be done with the momentum he gains from the beginning of his turnaround. Perhaps someone can test if other characters can get a boost going forward? I won't be able to do so until after work tonight.
Vid for one going forward:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqoeTQV0ss

I have yet to get fsmashes and dsmashes down with this(partly because my stick is messed up on my unofficial gc controller and my official one got chewed up by my dog weeks ago>.< I gotta get a new official one soon), but its possible to do it going either direction.

EDIT: Fixed vid link

Doval

Smash Lord
DanGR said:
Hey, i'm interested to what this does with olimar. Will his pikmen float midair? or wut? Could anyone post a video of olimar doing these techniques? his grab might become even more raw.
It doesn't do much for Olimar.

WTFJ?

Smash Rookie
funny I found this out February 28, 2008 but i used fox with it but i guess it wasnt important tho then and i guess with fox it wasnt as usefull but if u look at my video u can do that but with all smash attacks up down left right ect. something I found comes later but not as much appreciated probably cause it was my cell phone video so it wasnt as much good quality but watevers... i guess panda will have the glory of this one oh yeah heres my video back in feb when i found it that same night i just didnt have a good video cause it was my cell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcs8w3UnjCE

Browny

Smash Hater
^ lol, title change time imo, or do you have proof that you found it first?

also, has anyone got any video footage where this technique was actually put to good use and actually connected when a shield cancelled fsmash / roll dodge - fsmash would not have worked?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
funny I found this out February 28, 2008 but i used fox with it but i guess it wasnt important tho then and i guess with fox it wasnt as usefull but if u look at my video u can do that but with all smash attacks up down left right ect. something I found comes later but not as much appreciated probably cause it was my cell phone video so it wasnt as much good quality but watevers... i guess panda will have the glory of this one oh yeah heres my video back in feb when i found it that same night i just didnt have a good video cause it was my cell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcs8w3UnjCE
That video was completely unrelated to what I found. You were showing dash dancing, and thats not what this is about. Also, you might want to work on your grammar, since it was ridiculously hard for me to read that paragraph.

i dont want to be mean or something but someone already mentioned this before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfPkoykoHYc

but looks like it wasnt posted.
No, that is IASA frames during the dash stop animation which, ironically, I figured out the same day I did this. In fact, I made a video of it. But it turns out that for everybody but Yoshi, its faster or equal speed to simply shield, drop the shield, and attack.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I thought that this was already known. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your deep examination of the AT. I've seen some videos long ago on youtube where someone was showcasing this with Marth. I recall this person in particular fox-trotted then would cancel the fox trot dash, retreat a bit, and do a f-smash, in a quick seamless process. Maybe this is what differentiates what he was doing from what you found. So, for the AT you've found, you do it from an all out dash, not a fox-trot, and you cancel the slide and can use a move after?

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
I thought that this was already known. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your deep examination of the AT. I've seen some videos long ago on youtube where someone was showcasing this with Marth. I recall this person in particular fox-trotted then would cancel the fox trot dash, retreat a bit, and do a f-smash, in a quick seamless process. Maybe this is what differentiates what he was doing from what you found. So, for the AT you've found, you do it from an all out dash, not a fox-trot, and you cancel the slide and can use a move after?
Your thinking about dphana's video of the true pivot with marth.

This is different. He's not actually pivoting; He is doing a dashing turnaround.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=148902 -- Shell Shifting/Hydroplaning topic
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163888 -- My topic on hydroplaning

There's a third topic on sliding out of it too. I can link that too if you want to see it but are too lazy to look. lol
yeah. I have to agree this tech has been known a long time, people just never went out to mention it works with other characters and other attacks other then UP A. I've done this with squirtle all the time.

dash away then dash forward real quick then charge smash with A. boom. easy.

all i have to say panda is banking off his notoriety to get more attention then the people who have originally found this which is kinda sad for everyone else.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
all i have to say panda is banking off his notoriety to get more attention then the people who have originally found this which is kinda sad for everyone else.
Well that's an incredibly pompous thing to say. That's like saying that Benjamin Franklin shouldn't have gotten any credit for the lightbulb, because nature provided the electricity. SamuraiPanda took a technique that may or may not have been known to him (shell shifting) and applied it to all characters. You're claiming that Squirtle players found it first, which apparently is true, but here's the question: why do people who don't play PT care at all about what Squirtle can do?

On topic, I'm confused as to the actual usefulness of this technique. I've performed it in Training, so it's not like I'm completely ignorant to what happens, but for most characters, I can't see how any smash or tilt would help if they're sliding away from their opponent. I play Toon Link, so it's fairly practical for me to Dsmash or Utilt while sliding, and I can get a free Fsmash second hit, but if your character doesn't have a disjointed hitbox or a long reach, you won't hit. Can someone please explain, or maybe I just need to watch the videos? (I'm at school with YouTube blocked, by the way)

Top Bottom