• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Flips the Switch! -- Paper Mario Support Thread

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
I support Paper Mario for Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Paper Mario is distinct enough from regular Mario to be his own fighter and the Paper Mario games have enough entries to be considered as their own sub-series. If we have Toon Link then why can't we have Paper Mario? The biggest argument against the inclusion of Paper Mario was The Origami King promotional spirits but said spirits are not a de-confirmation when you take into consideration that all of the spirits are Origami characters and technically not the recurring Paper Mario cast and that they were simply added to promote The Origami King. Paper Mario has a shot as a first-party Nintendo fighter.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's all she wrote. Sorry, lads.

Though at least they used the most important original characters.
Just a reminder, this does not deconfirm Paper Mario.

Starlight Liger

Smash Journeyman

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Considering That nintendo doesnt want to make Classic Paper Marios how about
trio
I would prefer this to SS,CS or OK Paper Mario
Bug Fables is the true successor to Thousand Year Door in my eyes. Super Paper Mario was a good game too with a great story. But Super Paper Mario lacked the original RPG formula that the first two games had which is why I think it stands underneath them but above CS and SS because of it's great story.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Maybe this is shallow, but I just don't like Bug Fables' graphics. They look very sloppy and amateurish, plus they're an exact copy of the Paper Mario style. If they wanted to do a sprite/polygon mix, something like Klonoa or DK Jungle Climber would've looked much nicer.

Heard the gameplay's solid, though.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Bug Fables is the true successor to Thousand Year Door in my eyes. Super Paper Mario was a good game too with a great story. But Super Paper Mario lacked the original RPG formula that the first two games had which is why I think it stands underneath them but above CS and SS because of it's great story.
Out of curiosity, what would you guys rank the Paper Mario games?

-6: Sticker Star - Decent, but forgettable.

-5: Color Splash - Cheating here since I haven't played it, but from what I've heard it's pretty SS with painting and more jokes that are paper puns or Twitter posts. I think I have a rough idea of how I'd feel about it. Also, I've seen the ending and it sucks...

-4: TOK - For every aspect I loved, there was a part I hated...

-Great overworld, sucky battles.

-Loved half the quirky dialog, got annoyed by the same "LOL, we're all paper" jokes and occasional Twitter-like comments that popped up...

-Memorable moment-to-moment events. The main villain/story was lame and forgettable...

A good-ish game...

I guess.

-3: Super - What RetrogamerMax said.

-2: N64 - Charming RPG.

-1: TTYD - You know why.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

-5: Color Splash - Cheating here since I haven't played it, but from what I've heard it's pretty SS with painting and more jokes that are paper puns or Twitter posts. I think I have a rough idea of how I'd feel about it. Also, I've seen the ending and it sucks...

-Loved half the quirky dialog, got annoyed by the same "LOL, we're all paper" jokes and occasional Twitter-like comments that popped up...

-Memorable moment-to-moment events. The main villain/story was lame and forgettable...

A good-ish game...

I guess.

I would probably rank my list the same as yours. Except, I never played CS or TOK and only played a little bit of SS before I got bored and called it quits.

So here is my ranking of the Paper Mario games I played:

4. Sticker Star.

3. Super Paper Mario.

2. The original Paper Mario.

1. Thousand Year Door.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
TTYD >>> PM > CS > SPM. I skipped Sticker Star and Origami King.

Color Splash is a tricky beast because the script and action/adventure stuff is phenomenal but the combat sinks it. If you removed the combat entirely and made it all puzzles and light platforming, it would be a much, much better game.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Maybe if it had a nicer art direction. That's my least favorite part of Super. Everything looks so ugly in that game! I hate those weird cubist character designs. Totally undermines the epic, emotional story.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Paper Mario TTYD Art!

D

Deleted member

I know this a Paper Mario board, but it would also be funny to see 8-Bit Mario as a playable so here's a palette swap with 8-Bit Luigi as an alternate character.
untitled (3).png
  1. Default
  2. Fire Mario
  3. Modern Mario
  4. Donkey Kong
  5. Link
  6. Builder Mario
  7. Modern Luigi
  8. Classic Luigi
And yes I know the picture is blurry as I don't have photoshop.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master

Geek Critique, who's done some wonderful videos on DKC, Sonic, and Metroid did a recent one on Paper Mario that's a great look at the experience of playing.

(Incidentally don't be put off by the title, one of the main thrusts of the video is him realizing he was incorrectly judging Paper Mario due to his nostalgia for Super Mario RPG)

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Happy Birthday, Paper Mario!

A charming beginning for an amazingly, wacky trilogy!
Yeah its such a nice trillogy of 3 good amazing Rpgs weird that the last game featured jumpnrun elementes
but luckily Every paper Mario Game has awesome story and Characters and we got a spiritual succsesor in Bug fables

Now that i think of it its weird that Paper Mario got so few Games but Pikmin also only got 3 Games so it makes some sense

Rikarte

Smash Ace
Nintendo..... actually acknowledging one of the classic Paper Mario games?

Oh boy, Nintendo talking about the original Paper Mario! Naturally, people will be sharing their fondest, most beloved memories of the original games in the comments, right? :)
checks tweets
... :(

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Oh boy, Nintendo talking about the original Paper Mario! Naturally, people will be sharing their fondest, most beloved memories of the original games in the comments, right? :)
checks tweets
... :(
Yeah i dont get this hate for Turn based Combat ESPECIALY with Paper Mario its Combat was not Generic at all

And if youre honest Every new game is turnbased aswell just with less strategy and less insentive to Battle

Wow Nintendo Won everyone hates the old Games Now and yes i have no Nostalgia to the old Paper Marios but i still hate this Situation

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I love those partners.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

A good-ish game...

I guess.

I've only played the first three but
3. Super

2. TTYD

1. PM64

I honestly prefer 64 over TTYD.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
- 6. Sticker Star. One of the two PM games I never bothered to beat. Really, it's all Drybake Stadium's fault - I don't like crawling all over the same level looking for the one thing I need to progress. I never made it past World 2 of this one.

- 5. PM64. Hot take alert, but I didn't really feel compelled to beat this one either. I found the story a little lacking. Not because it's a typical Mario plot gussied up, I'm fine with Bowser being the bad guy. What really gets me about it is that things just sorta... happen. Most chapters feel like you're travelling through places until you eventually reach a boss, without any real connective tissue tying the chapter together. Like, for instance, you only find out who most bosses are right before you fight them, having a grand total of one conversation with them. Notable exceptions are the Koopa Bros and Tubba Blubba, and they just so happen to be the best villains in the game. Oh, speaking of bosses, I really didn't like the boss fights in this one. They're easy to figure out a strategy for, and at that point you're following a flowchart for the rest of the fight. Tubba Blubba's Heart is just a Hyper Goomba with way too much HP. Lava Piranha never even did anything to me because I just happened to get Tidal Wave beforehand.

- 4. Color Splash. Tough choice between this one and the one above it. Unlike Sticker Star, I actually liked Color Splash. It was well put together and had a couple of fun levels. However, the individual levels in the game are somewhat disconnected, and other than a few standouts (Dark Bloo Inn, Tangerino Grill) most of them feel a bit forgettable. In any case, I have to praise the boss fights. Or rather, everything about the boss fights except for the parts where you have to use the correct Thing. I played this one right before PM64, so going from the bosses in this one, with a variety of attacks and being unable to use the same attacks repeatedly due to the card system, and then going to PM64's where I was doing the same attacks over and over for the entire fight... Night and day, really. I think the Thing puzzles are dumb, though - but the final boss doesn't have one, and it's my favorite final boss in the series because of it. In terms of story, there was potential here, but I think it was a little wasted.

- 3. Super. I like this one, but I feel like it has pretty significant problems that prevent me from putting it any higher. I just feel like the game's at odds with itself about what exactly it wants to be, is the problem. The elements original to it stand out so much from the Mario elements that sometimes I wonder if the game would be better if it wasn't a Mario game, and was just an original IP where you play as Tippi or something. Not to mention that I really don't think combat in this game works too well compared to the turn-based systems. And let's not forget that the game can just get obnoxious sometimes, with a maze of identical wormholes in space, the hell of a heaven that is Overthere Stair, and the fact you have to do the Flopside Pit twice. Still, it's solid and memorable.

- 2. The Origami King. I actually really liked the battles in this game, because it managed to completely get rid of what I disliked about boss fights in PM64, I never felt like I was doing the same thing over and over again because the battle system managed to constantly provide a puzzle-solving element similar to what I liked about enemy fights in the classic games. Except now that's even in boss fights. In terms of story, it's nothing mindblowing, but I find it much more tightly-written and interesting than PM64's. It still has the problem of you only finding out who the bosses are right before you fight them, but most chapters are still oriented around a particular problem, like uncovering the secrets of an ancient civilization, or putting Bowser Jr. back together. Even in the absence of that, your goal of the streamer is always in sight. Also, the music is bumpin'.

- 1. TTYD. I feel like this is well-trodden ground at this point.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
But even then, Mario was always the first fighter on the select screen. I don't understand why you'd be against him being the last fighter revealed?
the problem isnt with pm outside of Toad he is the most deserving Mario Character BUT
We definitly need Impa and Bwd in Smash before any other Mario Character its not Paper Marios Fault its the fault of this STUPID Plant

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Flarestorm

Smash Rookie
Do you think it is still possible to see Paper Mario in smash? I hope so, he deserves to be in smash and his moveset would be unique and fun.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Do you think it is still possible to see Paper Mario in smash? I hope so, he deserves to be in smash and his moveset would be unique and fun.
Unfortunately, I think the spirit event pretty much killed his chances unless there's a FP3.

TBH though I'd rather get a new Paper Mario game in the classic style before having him added to Smash.......

Top Bottom