• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Sorry guys but I got 3rd seed in my pools. Got beat badly by Zeton but was even with Dark P.ch in the first match but lost and then I made the mistake of switching from G&W to Marth. I actually had a good time playing against Morks (Snake) and The_Smile (Diddy). Apex was so great, I had a ton of fun with friendlies and the event and I think the experience I got will make my G&W better and the response of people liking my G&W was nice. I also got Vinnie to sign my shirt, now I just need Zac and my G&W idol's collection will be complete.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Mail me your shirt and I'll sign it and mail it back :)

I don't travel to tourneys anymore unless they are in Dallas/Ft Worth area (maybe Oklahoma).

Grey Belnades

The Imperial Aztec
NNID
OldManGrey
3DS FC
0748-2157-4277
Mail me your shirt and I'll sign it and mail it back :)

I don't travel to tourneys anymore unless they are in Dallas/Ft Worth area (maybe Oklahoma).
That'd be so awesome! :bee: I'll try to buy the package to send it tomorrow.

I hope there's a major tourney happening in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area soon.
Zac will write a big 9 on the shirt, send it back, and call it his signature.
10 :awesome:'s

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Even though I was playing badly last weekend at a tourney I had a pretty awesome moment. I was playing one of our snake mains and we were on our last stock and I 9'd him as he fair spiked me and we both flew off the screen (me dying a bit earlier) simultaneously. It was pretty funny.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Played on PS2, on the Ice stage vs Snake. He retreated with an airdodge pretty far away so I slammed the stick towards him and pressed B to slide like half a stage straight into a 9 :)

Rizen

Smash Legend
Awesome! I've never landed a 9 :( .

I played vs a Lucas and tried to space him like Ness and needless to say I didn't do well. The whole match I was guessing PK fire patters and winging it. I need to learn that MU. Will someone please link me to the MU summery if we have a current one or give me some tips vs Lucas?

Govikings07

Smash Journeyman
Hehehe smiley ill mm you Lucas v Ur g&w :p also won my first match in a tournament with g&w so i can add his picture to my name on the results :) as with rob and lucario

:phone:

Alphicans

Smash Hero

I played vs a Lucas and tried to space him like Ness and needless to say I didn't do well. The whole match I was guessing PK fire patters and winging it. I need to learn that MU. Will someone please link me to the MU summery if we have a current one or give me some tips vs Lucas?
It's actually a hard m/u on certain stages (like SV or FD). If you get BF or PS1, you can time him out really easily actually. I think that's your best bet vs lucas if you want to secure the win. Obviously brinstar or RC are amazing CPs vs him.

Ruuku

Smash Lord

I'm not one to ever boil a match up down to a single move but I do have to say that dtilt > Lucas. :bee:

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Downtilt ***** both lucas/ness. It also clashes with their pk fire so it makes a good wall.

I feel a lot of G&W players overlook dtilt options:L. He has an average ground game.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I have recently starter to use dtilt after I land. It's a good option after baiting them with a "badly" spaced aerial. Kinda like how Marth does but a lot worse.
Really improved my game at least.

Post 4000 ALL GLORY TO HYPNOTOAD

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
It's actually a hard m/u on certain stages (like SV or FD). If you get BF or PS1, you can time him out really easily actually. I think that's your best bet vs lucas if you want to secure the win. Obviously brinstar or RC are amazing CPs vs him.
Brinstar is your worst stage pick against lucas(Or at least very good for him, so your advantages from the stage get nullified). He's so stupidly good on that stage

PixlFayc

Smash Apprentice
as a player of both gaw and lucas, the only things i can really say is dont be scared of the pk fire, sure its annoying but learn the patterns, alot of lucases will only use retreating pkfires and they can be easy to read you should also look out for if they are possitioning themselves with a slow fall and baiting you, but to be honest, if you can get 3 fires or pk thunders, thats 1 stock, with the bucket.. also try to keep lucas at about turtle range, or directly above you, lucases down air although good if angled if its directly above its normally pretty easy to ****, dont let him get too close but also dont give him too much room, pressure them with down tilt and back air, dash atk even is a fairly good option, so basically keep close but space yourself, if lucas gets in he can do some serious dmg fast especially with neutral air combos, watch out for baseball bat, since it can be comboed from alot of the air moves, and if the lucas is stupid enough to pk thunder as recovery, be ready to bucket it, for the ultimate gimp!

p.s alot of gaw's are predictable with down air.. please please dont do this against lucas because a good read on his upsmash = dead gaw...try to always attack from diagonal ups or the floor, lucas really only hits foward back or up and most his moves have **** range

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Disjoints don't matter if they are small. We can outspace him, but watch out for his fair, it has surprising range. PKfire you should bucket if you are at maximum range, otherwise simply powershield.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Downtilt ***** both lucas/ness. It also clashes with their pk fire so it makes a good wall.
Good to know:bee:
as a player of both gaw and lucas, the only things i can really say is dont be scared of the pk fire, sure its annoying but learn the patterns, alot of lucases will only use retreating pkfires and they can be easy to read you should also look out for if they are possitioning themselves with a slow fall and baiting you, but to be honest, if you can get 3 fires or pk thunders, thats 1 stock, with the bucket.. also try to keep lucas at about turtle range, or directly above you, lucases down air although good if angled if its directly above its normally pretty easy to ****, dont let him get too close but also dont give him too much room, pressure them with down tilt and back air, dash atk even is a fairly good option, so basically keep close but space yourself, if lucas gets in he can do some serious dmg fast especially with neutral air combos, watch out for baseball bat, since it can be comboed from alot of the air moves, and if the lucas is stupid enough to pk thunder as recovery, be ready to bucket it, for the ultimate gimp!

p.s alot of gaw's are predictable with down air.. please please dont do this against lucas because a good read on his upsmash = dead gaw...try to always attack from diagonal ups or the floor, lucas really only hits foward back or up and most his moves have **** range
Disjoints don't matter if they are small. We can outspace him, but watch out for his fair, it has surprising range. PKfire you should bucket if you are at maximum range, otherwise simply powershield.
Thanks, good info:). I learned that Dair<Lucas' Usmash the hard way. His Usmash also beats G&W's ledge stall>UpB, which I am way too predictable with:scared:.

PixlFayc

Smash Apprentice
yeah lucas tend to be opportunistic, if you fish with his up smash ur likely to get punished alot, but if you can get a sneeky one in as a ledge guard its deadly, it can also be an unexpected option after a grab release or after d-air,neutral air, especially if you expect them to spot dodge. but really lucases only moves with range are

Up smash -Large hitbox extending upwards by about 1.5 lucases!, also sideways a fair bit

fsmash- hits infront,inside and slightly behind, (beware of some of lucases moves which actually have backwards hit boxes like his jab, will actually suck u foward from behind.)

downsmash- big range accross the floor but only fowards, 3hitter

fair- reasonable fowards range for lucas, its actually possible to hit people with 2 hitboxes at once with this, if your really close in and especially against large charachters, it must have a very strange hitbox but the range isnt that great and generally its not a safe approach, i only use it if the opponent is kinda disorientated or off stage or doesnt tech on hitting the floor which is ********..

ftilt- lucases ftilt is actually very good, very fast and good range fowards and abit around him, its underused so dont expect it too much, though personally i use it as a walking approach to mix things up or as a option after a fast falled neutral air.

dair- last hit spikes, big downwards range is deadly if you come in at an angle easily punished from sides

pk fire- good range, good opener, good for annoying people, its not very fast though, unlike links arrow if u fast fall it will just cancel on land and say pk fire but no fire! most lucases use it as a spacing tool, or for recovery using magnet pulls. if you can read the magnet pull landing, its essentially a free upsmash, this takes practise, since depending on the speed of the magnet pull the distance will change.

lucas has very little offensive options diagonally up or backwards, which is a nice spot for gaw to do some well spaced fair or bair, dair will also work if you do it from close to ground and aim for the floor hitbox, which can be followed with a dash (assuming its not shielded)

all that being said, gaw isnt a charachter that ***** lucas though some of the cast really do, he definately has the advantage, (as lucas i dread dk,marf)

SugarPhil

Smash Cadet
Is it just me that finds the match up against peach incredibly hard?
I try to space my b airs, but she just manages to float and start to **** me with her forward air or forward b
When she floats its also hard to predict what she's going to do

Rizen

Smash Legend
I find Peach hard too. There are a few characters that I have trouble with regardless of the MU; she one of them.

Triforce Of Chozo

Smash Ace
fullhop backair a lot and don't forget to upb out of shield when she tries to dair your shield
upb will push her up into the air if she's too low, and you will for sure hit her yourself if she's too high for the windbox, just remember to do it after she finishes the move, the timing is kind of hard to get at first

Sylarius

Smash Ace
Does anyone know how many Canadian GaWs there are? Other than myself and Alphicans?
I main GaW as well, but I'm positive I'm not at the skill level you and Alphicans are. I doubt I'm even close. Well, I guess all I can really say is I know a fair amount about the game and can DI well (survived completely charged DK punch at 60%, I said that already in the Q&A thread ;I) if that gives any indicators of my skill level... sort of.

I'm dedicated, though. ;I

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
I got 4th at a local today, lost to a Marth (the guy always ***** me) and Zero Suit, which I didn't see coming. I fell for all her tricks :(

I need to learn to play more robotic. I was doing great at first against Marth, took the first stock at 51%, then proceeded to do a bunch of dumb fairs/dairs/Usmashes and lost hard.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well, pretty sure Marths here in Finland haven't put a lot work to it lol. The nature of the matchup is still an uphill battle. I'm glad I still have my Rob. Loota counterpicked his Marth against me and beat my G&W and I beat his Marth with Rob on the 5th match. That was intense stuff :o

sambo400

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the Marth that keeps beating me also keeps winning our tournaments, so I have a ways to go before I legitimately can moan about matchups. He is a hard character to play no doubt. I never realized until yesterday just how disjointed some of his hitboxes are. I thought I'd landed a kill just to have it clank more than once

The Zero Suit is what threw me. Looking critically at it, You need to stay out of her horizontal ground game at all costs

Top Bottom