• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Mr. Grey

Smash Cadet
Everytime I've picked brinstar Ive won, cause the lava forces him to get in the air :d.
and when I break the level in half somewhere down the line I wind up grabbing snake out of his up B and either killing him or doing extra damage.

Splice

Smash Hero
Im teaming with someone who can use DK, Fox and/or Zelda quite well.
For GaW, which character would work the best in teams, assuming the GaW sucks at hitting with a full bucket :p
????
Also what playstyles in doubles would each of these characters work best with (for example DK with stage control and GaW maybe jumps around a lot on the sides and in the air? Thats theoretical though.)

:)

Alphicans

Smash Hero
DK and GaW would live for ever, but no projectile to fill up that bucket. DK would probably be the best pick though.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
DK or Fox, whoever he is more comfortable using in teams. The bucket doesn't really play a part in either of them that much besides a weak yet quick kill move when with Fox, while its important with Zelda (because she is so bad of a character you need to really focus on the bucketing). They both are pretty adaptable with flaws that arent really devastating in teams.

Splice

Smash Hero
ok so DK and Fox...
But would any strategies work better with either? Zoning, staying together, stage control, how should i play to suit them?

Whitefire

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the moral support for a page back, I'm also playing teams with my strongest local opponent who plays a mean olimar, but he's playing wario for the teams event. Anyone ever team with Wario before and have some tips? We played a lot of practice rounds yesterday and won everyone, but we're still a little worried. So far we've been grabbing and sweetspotting my G&W dsmash, that's about it for tricks, he'll also bitetoss over the edge where I'll chase it with an f-air and edgeguard it, possibly with a parachute.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Working on team co-operation is more important than learning team tricks. I used to have a major problem smashing my PIKACHU teams partner, and that cost us like a stock per match. Being aware of your partner is just as important as being aware of your opponents. Yeah I am sure this comes across as "duhhh!" But you'll be surprised how much you'll **** up :\.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
this section has been lacking hype this week...;/

whats everyone been up to in the smash world?

any new tourneys coming up?

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
i'm im GA for like 2 weeks, not much brawl hype down here.
so ive been polishing my old melee ICs with the community here.

anyone in GA wanna play with me? o.o

cemo

white walker
hell yeah melee icies \m/

i like how the ice climbers grab game is even better in this game, but instead people would rather ban the more situational wobbling.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
haha yeah.
melee ics requier way more thinking than most of the cast, since it's 2 players in one.
that's what i love about them in melee.

in brawl its a whole different story, which is what made me not go back to the ICs and pick up GW. xD

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
G&W can make virtually anyone look really good in teams...

As long as they get a grab and you Up-smash, you're set.

G&W+Diddy is also a SUPER SUPER fun team. G&W is one of the most powerful characters at abusing Bananas. Glidetossed D-smash raaaaaapes.

cemo

white walker
i can't glidetoss properly >.>;
i get it once in every 10 tries, so i never follow it up properly.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I dunno, when I was teaming with DSF, I was glidetossing ON COMMAND.

It was so ****.

cemo

white walker
It's never something I really had time to practice, I can't catch an item in a match and be like "wait wait let me get the timing for this"

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Glidetossing on command isnt difficult at all. I recommend taking the time to practice, as it does help in quite a few matchups significantly.

Mr. Grey

Smash Cadet
I was fighting a diddy on Final destination (just wanted to practice on the worst level so that other levels dont seem as bad >_> )

And I used a glide toss > grab, When I Down threw him, he fell straight down and off the level, and wasnt able to make it back up, I tried repeating it with him at 0% damage, EVEN at 0% damage diddy still gets thrown down a significant distance so that you can gimp him with a box or grab the ledge or whatever floats your boat. Now, I thought this was REAL interesting, even though its very situational, it may get you a free kill, and (though I'm problably not) if im the first to figure this out, lemme know :d

could help in teams, if you get your hands on a banana and get someone at the edge,
without bananas:

has happened rarely but I've done it to snake when he was airdodging back to the stage, After I dash grabbed him, I was able to throw him straight down off the stage killing him before he could recover. I have to test it out and check who exactly cant be dash grab>Dthrow off the stage.

could mean instant death for:
olimar, bowser, link, DK, C.Falcon.
You can easily gimp afterwards: mario, samus, zss, fox, falco, wolf, pit, yoshi, ganon, ICs,
Lucario, Ness, Lucas. Everyone else (cept marth ad MK v_v) can problably be punished,

Even if it is situational, **** happens and you never know when the opportunity arises to pull this off, Its nice to have your opponent almost under the stage.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
I was fighting a diddy on Final destination (just wanted to practice on the worst level so that other levels dont seem as bad >_> )

And I used a glide toss > grab, When I Down threw him, he fell straight down and off the level, and wasnt able to make it back up, I tried repeating it with him at 0% damage, EVEN at 0% damage diddy still gets thrown down a significant distance so that you can gimp him with a box or grab the ledge or whatever floats your boat. Now, I thought this was REAL interesting, even though its very situational, it may get you a free kill, and (though I'm problably not) if im the first to figure this out, lemme know :d

could help in teams, if you get your hands on a banana and get someone at the edge,
without bananas:

has happened rarely but I've done it to snake when he was airdodging back to the stage, After I dash grabbed him, I was able to throw him straight down off the stage killing him before he could recover. I have to test it out and check who exactly cant be dash grab>Dthrow off the stage.

could mean instant death for:
olimar, bowser, link, DK, C.Falcon.
You can easily gimp afterwards: mario, samus, zss, fox, falco, wolf, pit, yoshi, ganon, ICs,
Lucario, Ness, Lucas. Everyone else (cept marth ad MK v_v) can problably be punished,

Even if it is situational, **** happens and you never know when the opportunity arises to pull this off, Its nice to have your opponent almost under the stage.
i believe that just means their DI sucks.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Actually you can "force" them to get spiked by dthrow if you are close enough to the ledge when you grab them. A good way to replicate this without a banana is to walk at full speed as G&W and grab someone right on the ledge. They will get thrown down.

By "forced" I mean if they do not choose to land behind you, they will be spiked. Most people are afraid of the dsmash at the ledge so they automatically hold back into the stage regardless or not if they tech it. It's feasible to do on people who get thrown fast (light characters) if they don't have time to process what is happening, which may be the case in the surprise Glidetoss -> dthrow spike you did.

Mr. Grey

Smash Cadet
Mr. escalator, do you think this is useful?
I dont want to be posting stuff up unless its actually useful and helpful.
I just thought id be useful to have someone thrown downward off the level.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
It's useful if:
A: You can land the grab in the correct way to do this.
and
B: They don't react the right way to avoid it once grabbed.

It's definitely a great thing once it's pulled off as they are in the prime situation to be ledgehogged/stagespiked/etc, but it's not something that is perfectly reliable. An interesting prospect is glidetossing as was noted, as it's a more solid way of performing part A, and it's so sudden that B is more likely to happen. Even if they DI away, they must also make the tech because of Dsmash, so the room for error is a lot more strict and tech chasing is immediately more doable.

Playing around with it isnt a bad idea by any means, so try your luck with it more in matches versus him or whoever and upload them. It may actually turn out to be useful versus Diddy!

Splice

Smash Hero
I have a friend that, When he gets the oppurtunity, DIs towards the edge whenever grabbed in that way because if a good player playing a character that has good air mobility or a good recovery for the situation knows about this they will use it to escape the tech chase.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
LOL no im talking about regular american yellow cheese.
or white cheese, all the same yummyness

seriously someone needs to save me from this boredom in GA.
IM HELLA BORED

i aint got a wii, so not even wifail is an option

someone aim me or msn me

I haven't had too much luck with dthrow on the ledge. No one's that bad at DIing it. I usually end up sliding off the stage as I grab them if I have any "momentum" left and grab release them out when I intentionally wanted to dthrow them.

The throw is so slow anyone should be able to at least prevent the spike but then that gives you the dsmash option / regrab / tech chase usmash.

Talking about ledge games, does G&W have anything to use if you fair them while they are shielding right on the edge of a platform or ledge as they fall off?

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
i didn't see the last part of esc's post. i was skimming =/

i knew all this, lol. i just thought that like, if you dashgrabbed over the ledge, it would no matter how they DI'd. thats how i read it. my bad.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
The only thing that is complete garbage around here is everything about you, A2ZOMG >:I JK <3

How can one diss good ol' American cheese? THE NERVE.
I mean, granted, I prefer Swiss, Motzzarella, and Provolone, but it's not like I don't enjoy a nice slice of American cheese on my burger.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
The only thing that is complete garbage around here is everything about you, A2ZOMG >:I JK <3

How can one diss good ol' American cheese? THE NERVE.
I mean, granted, I prefer Swiss, Motzzarella, and Provolone, but it's not like I don't enjoy a nice slice of American cheese on my burger.
this.

this is the best post ever.

Top Bottom