• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I team with a pika every tournament just about, and he can be pretty good. Uair can set-up some good thunder kills, and his t-jolt is a very powerful bucket.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Well, activity has dropped a bit :(
How about we discuss some of our "problem" matchups? Would that make you guys feel better?

I'll start; Toon Link is really not as annoying as ever makes him out to be for us. It's not that difficult getting into his projectile fortress and land safe hits. Not to mention, we have the obvious upperhand in the kill department, and our edgeguarding cleans him up (whereas his doesn't faze us at all). I'm convinced it's not a single point past dead even between us.

Of course, what would a matchup discussion be without VIDEO EVIDENCE? Not a matchup discussion, thats for sure. Here's a video of me against a Toon Link a while back that I got around uploading. I think it's an accurate representation of the matchup, even if the TL made a mistake here and there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9KnYHGP0xU

Feel free to criticize. I think it's a good enough match to prove my point, though.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
TL is fine once you get down deliberate powershielding, and his predictable recovery is an easy target for gimps and kills.

Also if you know he wants to shield grab a lot, keep in mind you can spotdodge after B-airing/N-airing his shield.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
The easiest way to beat TL is to focus on avoiding his projectiles instead of doing damage to TL. The moment you let your mind slip and start trying to apply damage is the moment you get combo wrecked by there projectiles or aerials. Trust me, just wait it out. They'll get tired before you do.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
lol this is your solution to every match up....
Really? Apparently most G&W users don't do it enough anyway, and either way, it matters more in this matchup since it's the most reliable way to deal with his camping.

And the only other matchups where I would personally say there is a significant emphasis on powershielding to get the most of the matchup are probably...DDD, Yoshi, Samus, and Ike. If you want you can go for powershielding Ganon a lot, even though G&W already beats him like 8/2 with proper zoning.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Ok soooooooooooooooooooooooo I used to main GaW, but quit him a long time ago for Wolf and my Wolf is pretty beast and all, but I think I've decided to re-pick up GaW. I alt Rob, Mk, and Falco. Still gonna main Wolf, but want to use GaW again. Any AT's GaW has since like June 08 I missed? I know bucket breaking and RAR are pretty much GaW AT's in a nut shell, but any I don't know about? :)

And I watched vids of GaW's and I'm surprised no GaW ever uses Full hop bacons. Rising with it makes a wall of the hit if they're close and then it's instant falling bacon. For Wolf Full hop Laser is amazing. I had to set my L button to jump to do this because I can't claw controls to press special and jump at the same time. I think it's useful for knocking someone away.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Ok soooooooooooooooooooooooo I used to main GaW, but quit him a long time ago for Wolf and my Wolf is pretty beast and all, but I think I've decided to re-pick up GaW. I alt Rob, Mk, and Falco. Still gonna main Wolf, but want to use GaW again. Any AT's GaW has since like June 08 I missed? I know bucket breaking and RAR are pretty much GaW AT's in a nut shell, but any I don't know about? :)

And I watched vids of GaW's and I'm surprised no GaW ever uses Full hop bacons. Rising with it makes a wall of the hit if they're close and then it's instant falling bacon. For Wolf Full hop Laser is amazing. I had to set my L button to jump to do this because I can't claw controls to press special and jump at the same time. I think it's useful for knocking someone away.
Does wolf shoot bacon? I think not.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Does wolf shoot bacon? I think not.
Then I'll be the only one to use it and show it's usefulness in vids.

I also think people have no clue what I'm even talking about. I'm not saying hit jump then bacon. You need to hit jump and special simultaneously. The lag is minuscule because you will be shooting bacon at the tip of the jump if you did it right. Also anyone in front of you gets hit with the frying pan.

If you do know what I'm talking about then just tell me because there are huge differences in full hop bacon and full hop jump and then bacon.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
nothing new since the amazing bucket break lol
the only other"new trick" almost as useful as BB is upbing out of MK's nado

and no..G&W's B has a slow start up and end
Full hop bacons is a nono lol

unless your attempting to spam it on the edge,but meh;/, there are better choices lol

edit:....oh...full hop bacon in G&W dittos too,duh lol;P

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Did somebody say bacon!?

I've been trying to invent new combos with bacon. It's been pretty fail so far. Best I can come up with is bacon -> judgment.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Now that you mention it, I will in fact implement fullhop Chef and see what I can do with it. I have also yet to do B reversals with that move, even though I know it has awesome mindgame and spacing utility.

Either way, all that G&W has been doing so far is just proving his basic stuff like U-air/N-air/D-throw traps and his poke game are quite respectable. Get good with those. They were always and are still good.

Oh and G&W's most used aerial (besides U-air) should in fact be F-air imo.

Newest AT I discovered for G&W is autocanceled ledgehop F-air, which is a legit frame perfect second jump renewal 100% the time if you do it correctly. G&W users need to use this. It's really awesome for ledge getups if you have it mastered.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
lol this is pretty dead.
let's liven it up a bit, anyone know how Lou or Today is doing in P4?

Vinnie

Smash Master
I think Lou made it out of first round of pools, and not the second. I don't think I saw Today's name, so she probably didn't make it out of anything. As for wins / losses, idk.

Splice

Smash Hero
I hope Today has fun! And also pictures of that Cake!

How do 2 rounds of pools work? I've never heard of that before...

@Thesoviet : Tell me about your sig. What is Heimer??

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I only watched SilentSpectre vs DarkRain at the P4 livestream...but I must say...that was entirely worth my time.

Also guys here need to abuse the F-air autocanceled ledgehop more.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
I only watched SilentSpectre vs DarkRain at the P4 livestream...but I must say...that was entirely worth my time.

Also guys here need to abuse the F-air autocanceled ledgehop more.
i want to see this mystical F-air autocanceled ledgehop u keep talking about lol

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
melee was so hype at P4.
i could really careless about brawl right now lol.

more on topic though, sucks that no gw mains really made it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
i want to see this mystical F-air autocanceled ledgehop u keep talking about lol
Still having trouble doing it? It's honestly not that hard once you know what you're supposed to do.

Lightly tap the control stick away from the edge, wait 1/4 of a second if you really need to (it's not necessary, it's just you have a decent frame window to dangle in the air before jumping), and then slam the control stick forward, and buffer a double jump F-air. The hard part is buffering the double jump F-air correctly. If you buffered the jump correctly, you will not hear G&W's midair jump sound clip.

As I said earlier, the best part about doing that is that it's a second jump renewal, so you can do another midair jump immediately afterwards, or you can D-air, if landing laglessly isn't the only thing you're going for. And you can reach reeeeealy far in stage with that F-air, which is now safe on hit since you get to jump or shield after doing it.

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
we need to step our game up GaW boards. I wanna see a GaW player in the top 4 in Pound 5.

Magus-Cie

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to say hi to you all. After deciding to go GnW in a friendly tournament (instead of my usual main, GDorf), I think I have found my new main.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Zac is good but he's not really on the same level of m2k,ally,ADHD,etc.
Wanna bet?

I almost (unbelievably close) beat ADHD in tournament first time I met him. Then I beat him in a MM right after. I have never played Ally in tournament, but I would glady do so. I MM him at a few tourneys but we never got around to playing. I've played M2K quite a few times in teams, overall we lost, but when it got down to 1v1 with me and M2K I won everytime (and no I'm not making this up, see: Apex, Genesis).

moyshe

Lazer Fox
NNID
moyshe
3DS FC
4442-1379-8655
Wanna bet?

I almost (unbelievably close) beat ADHD in tournament first time I met him. Then I beat him in a MM right after. I have never played Ally in tournament, but I would glady do so. I MM him at a few tourneys but we never got around to playing. I've played M2K quite a few times in teams, overall we lost, but when it got down to 1v1 with me and M2K I won everytime (and no I'm not making this up, see: Apex, Genesis).
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Top Bottom