• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Patch 1.1.3

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I looked at the 1.1.3 patch notes, and it appears that Samus is same old, same old. No changes, meaning Samus is still a bottom-feeder. What do ya'll make of this?

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Confirmed:
No hitbox/projectile and FSM changes

Will be updated once datamine-analysis are finished.

zblaqk

Smash Apprentice
thanks for the info kayjay. No buffs is whatever for me haha

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Not much since overall there weren't many changes. Zelda and Palutena are in the same boat. Some characters look like they had massive buffs/changes when you look at the list but in reality, it's like a bunch of kbg 99->100 or 6.5->7.0 damage changes.

Not many significant changes anywhere except for Lucas' grab. Which is annoying for sure. But whatever.

Gypsy_Panic

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-7237-7012
Well, that's it I guess. I'll pick Samus back up when there's actually buffs. I can't keep putting myself through this ****e anymore.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
I don't even play the character and find this pathetic and sad.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
I'm not bothered. She's good enough for me. I still very much enjoy playing as her.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I've been travelling for work related activities. That's a pity - any chance for hurtbox changes?
I just watched the final presentation, I don't know what to say other than bayonetta seems ridiculously overpowered. Too soon to tell of course but it's rather striking that he has put such tiny hitboxes on Samus and then is able to somehow mentally justify hitboxes the size of trucks that true combo into one another on another character. Ridiculously large hitboxes + tons of aerial true combo follow ups, I could be convinced he has no clue as to what he's doing. I'll wait to see the final product, and I'm going to get the patch request video translated into Japanese and send it directly to him.

If I see another tether grab lose like 15 frames and nothing happen to Samus'.....

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Pissed about the Lucas throw buff. WTF. Come on.

Otherwise, I didn't expect anything anyway.

FlAlex

Smash Journeyman
Did we do something to deserve this?
Is there something amazing about Samus that we are missing?
I'd like an answer.

I've been travelling for work related activities. That's a pity - any chance for hurtbox changes?
I just watched the final presentation, I don't know what to say other than bayonetta seems ridiculously overpowered. Too soon to tell of course but it's rather striking that he has put such tiny hitboxes on Samus and then is able to somehow mentally justify hitboxes the size of trucks that true combo into one another on another character. Ridiculously large hitboxes + tons of aerial true combo follow ups, I could be convinced he has no clue as to what he's doing. I'll wait to see the final product, and I'm going to get the patch request video translated into Japanese and send it directly to him.

If I see another tether grab lose like 15 frames and nothing happen to Samus'.....
Bayo. must be incredibly light if Sakurai gave her Luigi-tier recovery.... right?
I'm just as concerned about Corrin as Bayo. for the range reason as well. How does anyone get a Fsmash longer than Shulk's and Megaman's?
To be fair however, Sakurai did say that the longer her combos are the less Knockback the last hit has, so if the opponent over-extends, we have a good chance of punishing. THOUGH, that doesn't take into account Samus' slow fall speed (and the majority of Bayo's combos are aerial based), and Samus being combo food. OH, and about punishing Bayo after a combo, that is going to be risky with Samus because her grab sucks, meaning Samus must use an attack to punish, and attacks can be witch-timed, which leads to a bus-sized punch to the face.......

Balance^^^^

I think im done with this series competitively, even as a bystander. I've been seriously disappointed with this installment.
You win, Sakurai! I will go find another competitive game to play. I wonder if Battlefront will be competitive, and ITS NOT...
Crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
Here we go again.
Lucas buff is the only thing that annoys me. But whining about not getting buffs when Zelda, Jiggs, Palu, and others who deserve it more didn't get touched is equally annoying.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Yeah I won't be back to test things until Sunday at this rate... could anyone with a rapid fire controller please check for a global hitstun change? Check Up-tilt -> FJ d-air on ROB at 70% in training mode and see if the opponent can still airdodge out of the "true combo" spike the counter otherwise registers. KayJay KayJay ?

I remain amazed that some characters have not been nerfed. It's almost more shocking than no buffs for Samus.

Last edited:

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
could anyone with a rapid fire controller please check for a global hitstun change? Check Up-tilt -> FJ d-air on ROB at 70% in training mode and see if the opponent can still airdodge out of the "true combo" spike the counter otherwise registers. KayJay KayJay ?
Unchanged.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Uh, well. At least mah Mewtwo got buffed.

There is at least one more patch left in february.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Thanks for checking KayJay KayJay . That's a real shame. It's not like it would suddenly break the game. Clearly being able to witch-time f-smash into d-smash spike is "balanced" and appropriate but Samus up-tilt - which can be teched should not true combo into d-air (totally broken).
Anyhow, old news.

I will be posting my combo guide over the holidays, it's not quite the same as actual buffs, an "actual" holiday gift but I hope it fleshes out a new aspect of the meta.

Ryu Myuutsu Ryu Myuutsu I'm dead serious about translation - can you put me in contact with a Japanese smasher that knows the game specific lingo as we talked about before?

Last edited:

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman

Lol, don't forget all of Lucas's grabs are kill throws/setups. And I can understand why Mayo is so strong. She's DLC. No one is gonna pay for Ganon if he's 7 bucks because he sucks.

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
Lol, don't gorget all of Lucas's grabs are kill throws/setups. And I can understand why Mayo is so strong. She's DLC. No one is gonna pay for Ganon if he's 7 bucks because he sucks.
Being a Lucas main, he needed that. He has one situational grab setup (d-tilt), and he does not need to eat a hard punish since he's light and slow.

It's been 13 patches and Sakurai does not care about Samus. gg all.

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
I don't know if I'll ever be convinced that characters with high grab reward are justified in having good grabs. On top of that, Lucas' grab game is freaking great, and now his grab is freaking great too. Pretty common theme across the game, ZSS being the biggest outlier--except her dash grab outclasses most dash grabs tether or not because of its insane boost range / threat in the neutral.

I'm also not convinced that Samus really gets anything off of grab. I've heard people say that opponents who DI away can be true comboed... Idk, maybe Dungeonmaster's video will prove me wrong but I'm not so sure throw combos are a thing for Samus (except on opponents with no MU knowledge of course).

There just isn't any justification in having a move as bad as pivot grab. The way Samus slides after initiating the move means she can whiff, or basically the range on her pivot grab is reduced. And then the endlag is absurd. It fits into Samus' archetype, too, midrange pressure / keepaway, so I just don't understand. I guess it's good for catching landings. But whatever. I'm being too negative.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Is it sad that lately I've found Ganon more satisfying to play than Samus? Seriously feeling like by the time February comes around the concept of balance will be thrown out the window and Samus will get buried in the desert where all the atari E.T. cartridges are.

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
I can see positive aspects about this patch. This patch gives us a chance that we will face more Bowsers, Mewtus, Lucas and Ganondorf players in tournaments. All these matchups are (still) in our favour.

GreenApple

Smash Rookie
There's hope. They still need to balance the other not-that-popular characters.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I think Bowser Jr and Peach are already pretty good. I don't think they need any further adjustments.

PStoken

Smash Rookie
NNID
Token31
Made an account recently,hi everyone, my fellow masochists.
Bowser jr definitely needs less recovery on some moves(even tho tweek makes it look pretty easy, not everyone is that good), like the cannon which is unusable as it is. going back to samus, well, i don't know what to expect anymore, at this point i lost all hope for further buffs, and i'm not even sure if there will be any balance adjustments in the future,from the last direct,i got the impression that they're wrapping up development.

GemZ

Smash Rookie
We got our buffs last patch. I have a good feeling about February. If not, then I still think Samus isn't in that bad of a spot. She just plays by different rules than the rest of the cast. Yes, this hinders her but also gives her strength in areas as well.

I'm just glad they buffed Mewtwo. How happy would everyone be here if they gave Samus the amount of buffs Mewtwo got? XD

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
We got our buffs last patch. I have a good feeling about February. If not, then I still think Samus isn't in that bad of a spot. She just plays by different rules than the rest of the cast. Yes, this hinders her but also gives her strength in areas as well.

I'm just glad they buffed Mewtwo. How happy would everyone be here if they gave Samus the amount of buffs Mewtwo got? XD
Nair fix was needed since its hitbox was just sooo bad. Her hitboxes are still wonky if they fixed those id be pretty damn happy.

We would love the lag reduction and slight movement speed boost. That would solve a lot of connection problems. The timing is quite strict on her compared to other characters. Seriously having people DI away a DThrow at 15% is absurd lol.

I'm still hopeful but I'll make do if it never happens. I'm quite interested in the grab tho....since everyone else's tether has been changed.

Last edited:

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
February is the last hope for the dev team to realise Samus' flaws, just a slap in the face how they keep buffing better characters than her and leaving her unchanged, and I don't even wanna think on the Lucas Grab buffs or... Salt overwhelming.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
I actually faced 2 absurd Clouds. He can sneak by and recover with his moves faster than me, he's quick, and his disjoints are good to the point where it simply beats my moves.

I can edge guard him yes but it's to the point where I don't even want to play.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
I actually faced 2 absurd Clouds. He can sneak by and recover with his moves faster than me, he's quick, and his disjoints are good to the point where it simply beats my moves.

I really like cloud, fast, powerful, good disjoints. I think dtilt gives Samus a ton of trouble.

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814
I've fought some difficult Clouds as Kirby--one was definitely a legitimately good player but with the other I could tell he was relying on the character instead of his own skill. I lost to both (shamefully to the second guy) even though Kirby's my best character, but oddly enough, switching to Samus seemed to do the trick for me. I've been wondering if Samus is a good match for Cloud, or if these people just didn't know how to play against Samus.

Or maybe it's just that Kirby's a bad match-up for Cloud. Could be.

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I can see positive aspects about this patch. This patch gives us a chance that we will face more Bowsers, Mewtus, Lucas and Ganondorf players in tournaments. All these matchups are (still) in our favour.
How is the Lucas matchup in our favour? Genuinely interested. A lot of the reasons Ness is a bad MU for us are the same reasons Lucas is a bad MU IMO. Between his reflector, psi magnet, being small, PK Fire clanking with our full charge shot, disjoints on his psi moves and now his much better grab game, I don't see the MU being in our favour at all.

I've played a good Cloud or two (only on FG so far though) and yeah this matchup is not looking good for us. He's fast, his disjoints simply beat our moves and he doesn't have much end lag on many moves/has some fast moves so you can't get a punish in even if you shield. His jab 1 comes out on frame 4, his nair comes out on frame 5. Yeesh. Utilt is frame 6 and fast enough to juggle us at low percents and we get pwned by his limit breaks due to Samus' floatiness. I have beaten Clouds, some bad ones, and one which was halfway decent. But yeah...against anyone that knows him well...good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom