• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pathways Smash XII January Results

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Lol at Cookie.

Lol at Wretched.

StrongBad, we didn't do as good at this tourney because I am horrible and don't get better. That's why I get fourth place at every Pathways.

:phone:
I can feel the intelligence in your play. I don't know what's impeding you, but you can get over it. If any of your matches were recorded, I'll watch them and try to figure it out.

Also @ Wretched, I was the exact same way for like two years. Don't sweat it.

Doubles is the superior game ;)

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Arby, vids link is posted in OP. I have three sets up. Any help is appreciated :)

:phone:
I don't know if this will be that helpful, or say anything you don't realize, but I hate seeing you beat yourself up for no reason. Here's to hoping.

I think you might lack focus. You're definitely topside of the most significant plateau this game offers, when we learn to think while playing. Your stifling of Strongd00d's counterattack and breakout options (and general consistency of reads) is evidence of that - plus my experience playing you. I personally don't think it's possible for a player to flatline permanently after reaching that point. You just need to focus on improvement, because it's easy to get complacent. What really separates the good players from the rest of us is all the little things, since we all have a functioning understanding and ability to play the game. They're just tighter, faster, and smarter about it.

How this applies to you is that this is your exact position. You have very clear things to improve upon (getting to that next), and you have a solid base to build upon. The only reason I can see why you'd feel down is because you don't have the right focus. Improvement at this point is a very specific thing. Sure, we gradually (slowly) improve as we play; however, falling back on this process is exactly how you fall into the "decent" player rut. Waiting on revelations isn't how you get to high level - consider the new generation of pros that has risen up in the past couple years. Every time you play, pick one or two specific things to improve upon. If a certain player gives you trouble because of something, all the better. Trial by fire is a great way to learn, as long as you can play them consistently. Regardless, what really matters is that you approach every chance to play the game as a learning opportunity. Stay focused, and you can't help but improve.

As for what needs fixing... first of all, it's hard to judge because you played fastfallers instead of Marth :( They have their own set of issues, and I can't tell what was unfamiliarity with the character and what you actually need help with. In either case, the biggest determining factor in your loss to Strong Bad was inconsistency of fluid movement. You missed dashes in awkward places (out of crouch cancel, landing, and otherwise), which got you touched by DK. Strong Bad has a good punishment game, so this was kind of bad for you. You also didn't fast fall or move as quickly as you could have at times. Getting hung up like this is asking to die in today's metagame, especially against someone of Strong Bad's skill level. People with consistent movement honestly have a huge advantage over those who don't, because that's often a free punishment. Focus on moving cleanly out of anything you want to do, and move with a purpose. You were obviously thinking throughout the set, but you pushed the spacies auto-mode button sometimes and it got you dead. Especially with falco. You also don't maintain the best positioning with them, which admittedly is supposed to be hard against zoning characters. Even still, it's something to keep in mind. Oh, your horizontal spacing seemed worse than your vertical. Maybe that's just because you were prioritizing air against DK and Peach, idk. It occasionally got you killed though.

tl;dr: You are not even close to "horrible," and you have a clear path of improvement as long as you keep your head clear and establish some goals. Focus on consistent movement and acting/attacking with purpose, as well as anything else you can think to work on. You are not bad at these things, but tightening up a couple aspects will easily make you a much more solid player. For real dude, all you need is a little tweaking.

Keep at it, don't let your potential go wasted.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Where's the set of me vs. Terral? I wanted to use it to teach someone the Pikachu match-up as DK.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
my sheik *****
sheik dittos are gay tho. i used sheik in loser's finals tho

Top Bottom