• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paying more attention to %.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
While I am trying to get back into shape as a top Peach player again since I been in a slump for almost three months now and losing to nearly everyone/everything, I been thinking about some stuff when coming to this game. Things to help one win and what to look out for.

For one thing I noticed that people don't tend to pay much attanetion to ether their damage of the opponents. They just wiff attacks and then hope they will kill thier opponent without paying much attention to what % they are on. The damage on a character can give you so many signals on what to do and not do. This game has laws and is played by a concept. You can't just break that cause you want things to end fast or HOPE to get lucky to win. As broken as this game may be, it still has laws that people must follow if they wanna win.

What can I do/not do?

Depending on what Percent you enemy is on, you can tell what combos, attacks can link up well. You can't go for the same thing all the time at any percent. Like for example (I may be wrong) At low percent, I think wolf can Nair>shine Grab/attack and it will all connect. But at Mid Percent and above, that is not happening, so after a Nair, do something else. Doing things at any percent over and over can leave you open. it is not a typical fighting game where no matter how the damage bar is, you can't just link anything over and over. I have made it out of combos or DI out of them cause of people trying to do things at % that they should have not been doing.

Risk Factor

People tend to go for risking things at any percent they are on. if you are at 150 and Jiggs, would it be a good idea to try and go for a rest combo on snake? You screw up and that is a stock. it be best to try it when you are on low percent where his attacks can't kill you. if jiggs is a bad example cause of how light she is, then use this example with middle weight characters and risky combos/set up that could take a stock from the enemy. Now if You somehow land the rest combo at 150, then more power to you. but be aware of the risk you put yourself in and how it is not something to go hunrgy for. People are not perfect and they do screw up. That could have been your time you would have died. But I am not by any means saying you can't take any risk. Sometimes you have to. Just realize what % you are in and what can happen if you screw up.

When to die

As many of you know already. with this game, moves get weak, and people live longer cause of it. So here is what people should be doing:

- Learn when thier character will die at what percent
- When will the enemies character will die and at what %
- What stage are you on.
- Where exatly on the stage you are when you land a kill move.
- Options you have to kill your enemy
- Options enemy has to kill you
- The difficulty of ether of you landing these moves.
- The speed/hitbox of the moves.

Here is advice I used in my Peach guide for killing with her. This can also appy to other characters as well.

"Save your moves that you need for killing. Use lots of jabs, get damage off of grabbing. When you grab them don't always launch them so fast. Kick them a few good times then toss them. N-air cant kill so well so use that alot. Dair helps since its not a Kill move. Space dtilts. And turnips. Once you get them to a good % Now you can fely on your kills moves like Fsmash and Up smash. Your fair and bairs, even upairs. uptilt as well. Try to save your most important moves to kill. Cause when you get them to that good %, all of your kill moves will be at full power. And it will be less of a struggle to kill

At 50% and over, you really can't combo into anything. if you was to Fthrow them and Back throw them, then what. They are out of your range. and have to repeat the process of approaching them again. When you up throw them, They are over you, you can use turnips to at least hit them, or make it harder for them to touch the floor. And set up to land an attack on them. This is the more better ways to hit someone after a throw. This is center stage though. Near the edge you can just toss them out. but with some characters, Like DDD, DK, you are not gonna kill them off of a throw. So the hell with that right? Toss them up and get extra hits of of turnips, and even if that dont hit, they have to worry about evading them and then you hitting them while trying to land saftley to the floor. They will still Be in your attack range for turnips and even finishers more than any other throw at 50%+
"

Now with that said, Pay attention to your enemies %. If they are not at the danger % with thier character, then they are not gonna be dieing. So don't go using moves that you will be needing to kill with. Use moves that you can get damage with but don't kill with your character. Trying to end them early will cost your kill moves to be stale. And these fools will be living longer they they should be when you moves are at full power. I have seen even the smartest players make this mistake too many times. Pay attenting to the enemies percent. and don't go on the asult to get rid of them early. This game has laws that can't be bent or changed. Learn how this game works.

Also Pay attention to YOUR %. When you are at that danger % with your character, it is time for you to die. Your opponent will be out to finish you off. Now this can be a scary process and can get people nervous. I know it does to me. But remember this list I made above:

- Learn when thier character will die at what percent
- When will the enemies character will die and at what %
- What stage are you on.
- Where exatly on the stage you are when you land a kill move.
- Options you have to kill your enemy
- Options enemy has to kill you
- The difficulty of ether of you landing these moves.
- The speed/hitbox of the moves

This applies to you and the enemy, remember this. So with that said and you have all this down. You know what to look for. You know what moves will be finishing you off. You will also know how easy/hard it would be to land these moves. Now you can figure out a strat in the match to look out for these moves and dish out your own attacks. That way You can still pound your opponent and feel safe at a dangerous %. And when you are at high Percent, don't rush to land moves or grabs. one mistake can end you. Take it easy. You may be in daganer, but Don't kill yourself. Your enemy has to do it. And it is up to you to allow them to kill you or not. Just play the match as if you had nothing to worry about, same time be cautious about your % and risk of deaths. Some people tend to get greedy when you are at high %. Abuse that if they do. That could be thier biggiest downfall. Switching up your style when at high percent can help as well to dish out damage and still reduce the risk of dieing.

Ledge attacks

Some people tend to forget about % and ledge attacking. You get 2 types of ledge attacks when over and under 100%. So when on the eldge and you wanna do one. Think to yourself if this ledge attack at this percent is a good idea. If not, don't go for it. If so, then go for it.

Thats about it. Your % can be a guide and key to your victory. It can tell you things you can/cant do. And what to look out for. So it should not be used as something to state how Far you will be sent off the stage. it can help you in many ways to win a match. Even looking at your enemes percent. Cause you will also know his reward/risk factor. And his options. it wopuld also help if you know the match up with your character fully and know all about the enemies character in general.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
isn't this common sense?

I thought everyone payed attention to percent... it's basic fighting game strategy 101 to be aware of the opponent/your own health....

Hype

Smash Lord
Great thread

When I play falco I feel like it's three different match ups. (1) when I'm at 0-40%, (2) when I'm at 40-110% and (3) when I'm at 110%+.

If you find it hard to be watching percents and your opponent all the time, whenever you get a grab is a good time to check percents.

If jiggs misses a rest on snake she'll probably die at ~30% lol. It's probably better to try a rest combo when your at 150% then at 30%, you're actually risking less because the stock isn't worth as much.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Some of this thread is common sense, but there is still some great insight you can pick out of it.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
^
It's true.

Now that I'm actually getting timed out, I've been paying more attention to time vs percent differences.

But yeah, playing extremely safe at high percentages is always the best option. Hell, playing like you're in killing range even when you're not is the best option for most.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
This is sooo important as peach. You just have to know when combos start and follow-ups become guaranteed.

Even top players forget this when under the pressure of a tournament environment. This may seem obvious but to those of you that think you already know all this, analyse how you got killed next time, and think if it was because you were being hasty.

BSP

Smash Legend
When you're at killing percents, you should be a little more cautious, but at the same time, watching your opponent. Most people start getting really hungry for the kill, and are very easy to read and predict because of this. It's important to not change your game up too much when looking for the kill, or you'll get predictable and get punished hard.

Of couurse, not approaching if you can helps a lot with saving your stocks and getting the enemy to screw up.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Great read!
I really doubt anyone has to watch their percentages as much as Pokemon Trainer. I even have to decided if I want to switch pokemon based on percents. Usually this is what goes through my head during a match:

Squirtle:
- I just killed my opponent, I'm at a low % but Squirtle is fatigued. (now does less knockback & damage) Would switching to Ivysaur be a good idea?
- I'm at 40%, I'm not fatigued yet, but the MU is not in my favor and the opponent can kill me out of a grab release at this high of a percent. Should I switch to Ivysaur and eat an F-Smash out of the switch for 15%?

Ivysaur:
- I'm at a high percent, but I can't seem to kill my opponent. If I get to a safe place on the stage and switch to Charizard would the extra weight help me stay alive longer? Or do I want to start as Charizard fresh? (Once Ivysaur gets KO'd)
- I'm at 60%, Charizard gets chain grabbed hard at a low percent so should I switch now so Charizard doesn't have to worry about grabs?

Charizard:
- I'm at a low percent, but this MU is far too bad for Charizard. Should I switch to Squirtle?
- I'm at a high percent, but I just killed my opponent. Should I switch to Squirtle and stock tank? (Squirtle is ridiculously hard to hit if played right. [he's a smaller Wario with a Water Gun that can push people off the stage and eats projectiles])

I generally remember all my "last resort" kill percentages as well, and because of that I always pay close attention to my opponents percents. I always use Falco as a measuring point since he's right in the middle as far as weight goes.
My throws (Squirtle's D-Throw, Ivy's Up-Throw, and Charizard's Up-Throw) all kill anyone lighter than Falco at 160%.
Ivysaur's Dash attack and Charizard's D-Tilt both kill anyone lighter than Falco at 130%
Squirtle's D-Throw and Charizard's D-Tilt both kill earlier than though percents, but it's easier to group "last resort" moves together.
Anyway, I don't let anyone live longer than my kill percent if I'm not fatigued.

I know no one else has to deal with that switching headache, but I think that everyone should at least know their own "last resort" kill percents and every their opponents.

So, yea. Percents. Pay attention to them.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
imo, if you're at 150% with puff against snake, pretty much anything will kill you anyways.
so why not try for a risky rest?
if you hit, you take away a stock, most likely earlier than usual.
if you miss, then you die at 150%.
for jigglypuff living to 150% against snake is already something to be proud of.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
isn't this common sense?

I thought everyone payed attention to percent... it's basic fighting game strategy 101 to be aware of the opponent/your own health....
In a game where every move works the same regardless of percent (note: Almost everything that isn't Smash Bros.), I'd say it's a sound strategy to strictly ignore health.

The right move is the right move for that opponent at that time. Your margin for error doesn't change what will and won't work.

This is Smash Bros. though.

But this is Brawl though. Are damage-specific combos character specific? How many chars really have to care?

I think I can say it doesn't matter to Ganon.
Aside from kill percents which are obvious for Smash Bros., who needs to look? People know their CG ranges or some slew of 0 - Y combos, depending, but I wonder how many chars are in Peach's situation of even having "BnB", let alone damage-specific BnB.

Oh and FFS people learn your grab attack speed and GET YOUR HITS IN. You have no reason to forfeit them whatsoever. It is absolutely determinate how quickly someone can escape from a grapple, even if people don't button mash to escape like they should, just assume they are and get what you're guaranteed.

It's like 6-8% usually per grab that you can get, with any character, from low percents. That's the diff between a safe recovery or a ledgehog. Or edgeguarding someone versus gimping someone.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Something that I personally do that I doubt many others do is that I look at the opponent's percentage as a gauge of how they will be playing at that time.

Obviously, a light character at a high percent will start playing far more conservative, so you have to adjust to them making less moves/mistakes while camping more. If they don't make the adjustments, then you just get a free kill.

At low percents, unless you have combos, some people are far more likely to be aggressive and that is your chance to grab the pace of the game and the lead as you allow them to approach and make mistakes.

In mid percents, there is no sure-fire way to tell what is going to happen. It entirely depends on matchups, playstyles, and overall flow of the match.

And of course, the playstyle of your opponent will not only depend on their own percent, but will also highly depend on your own. Ever notice that you're having a ton of trouble killing that 180% Snake while you're at 0%, and you end up getting to 60 before the KO? Thats because you're playing far too aggressive while he's playing way more conservative, so he's able to capitalize on your mistakes more often than you on him.

There is more to it than that, and far more depth as well, but I think you get the gist of what I'm saying. Its likely just the next step in the thinking process of paying attention to percents (or at least it was mine :p).

tuestresfat

Smash Apprentice
I'll be honest, I pay very little attention to % except for CGs and basic combos.
When I say combos I mean really really basic ones like Marth. You either grab them at the start to Fthrow->Fsmash or you don't.

For the most part I'm just aware when my opponent is at a high, mid, or low percent based on how far my moves are knocking them back and I sub-consciously notice how red their % is (I don't READ 130% to know they are at 130%, I just notice the colour and know that it's time to go for the kill)

Not saying this is good or bad xD but that's just how I've been doing it.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Looking at your % is definitely important, affecting your playstyle and your opponents.

If you're at a high %, obviously your opponent will be looking for the kill. Low % could mean chaingrabs.

It's not that hard to glance every now and then. XD

drzillman

Smash Rookie
I do pay attention to my percent but i dont let it bother me...

an old story:
i was playing final D in melee with giga bowser gannan and mewtwo... you know the match... lost a but 1 stock killing giga and had over 100 percent... my friend was watching and said it was impossible... so I proceeded to obiterate the last 4 stock (2 frome each person) with my 100% last stock. my friend was astonished. I told him percent is not important if they cannot hit you...

when im above 80 i start to pay more attention to the opponents attacks alot more and dodging the kill moves. i eat some damage early in the stock to put mysef in better position if need be but over 80 i stop eating and work harder on survival and less on killing.

after 100 my job is to hurt the oponent as much as possible and survive ong enough to hurt em more so when my new stock drops i can kill easily...

so yes, pay attention to percent but dont let it scare you

DFEAR

Smash Hero
i disagree. never look at %
u *****.

i guess % applies whole time. who wouldnt look at the % tho its like essential for ending stocks or combo setups etc. for instance im so used to killing at around 120+ with diddy that i forget when i choose snake in friendlies that he can kill at like 90+ wasting 30+ extra % that could be used on the doods other stock etc etc. you could also use % as a way to predict **** like lucario at % over 100 etc etc predictable ****

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
i always notice 69%
This.

Also, I'm usually not so concerned with percents outside of the psychological factor (like, are they likely to play more defensively?). It's easy to know when moves will KO and when they won't without having to really think about it, and if you're outplaying them, it doesn't matter how stale your moves get. You can still beat them just by winning, heh.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Outside of when you are playing against DMG, I think the focus should always be on number 1. Don't get hit. and 2. Hit. Percent doesn't give you an excuse to take a risk, high or low.

Mackorony101

Smash Cadet
I do take a quick glance at percentages every one in a while during a match and a lot of the time to see if my follow ups will work. I look at percentages for some simple things like Marth's Fthrow to Fsmash , Dair combos with peach and Uair chains with Lucas.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I look at percentages A LOT as a Samus player.

We even made a topic for KO percentages on all of her KO (hah) moves. So it's so important to notice them. Matter of fact

a) If I get KOed by my opponent, I say their percentage out loud to register how close they are to KO percentage
b) If I KO my opponent, I say my percentage out loud to register how aggressive I should be.

It's a habit now

drzillman

Smash Rookie
I look at percentages A LOT as a Samus player.

We even made a topic for KO percentages on all of her KO (hah) moves. So it's so important to notice them. Matter of fact

a) If I get KOed by my opponent, I say their percentage out loud to register how close they are to KO percentage
b) If I KO my opponent, I say my percentage out loud to register how aggressive I should be.

It's a habit now
I like this, I may start doing this... I generally round about 100 when tryingto kill, give or take 20% depending on the character... (puff at 80 or bowser at 120) but your way helps keep a running track and will overall make you more efficient... i like it..

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
good ways to end a stock early is use some smash or whatever ur kill move is a bit early in the 70s n 80s. refresh then til 125 and then u can kill again. this method is risky but i see diddy kongs use it all the time and such. it ends a stock much faster than camping til 130

I have always payed attention to percents without really thinking about how important it is really. You never see guides mentioning such a simple and yet effective observation during the gameplay. Percents dictate so much. Nice for bringing this up DP.

I only notice when my opponent or I am at 69%.
Seriously.
I wonder what kind of fantasies go through your head when you see 69%.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
I can't wait for the next threads "paying more attention to your opponent" and "paying more attention to where you are on the stage".

On a serious note I think you should add a part about "paying too much attention to percentages". Because it's way worse than not paying enough attention.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
As sheik I have to pay way more attention to my opponents percent than my own most of the time since all of my attacks and combos are affected in some for by percent. ftilt->usmash, jab->dsmash, etc.

As sheik there are really only three percentages I care when it comes to myself: Kill percent, not kill percent, and 100% plus.

paolo4930

Smash Rookie
I really doubt anyone has to watch their percentages as much as Pokemon Trainer. I even have to decided if I want to switch pokemon based on percents. Usually this is what goes through my head during a match.

Top Bottom