• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach cancels landing lag by pressing down+B while holding a turnip

D

Deleted member

What games has Nintendo sent regular patches out for gameplay updates?

is it possible for me to keep wifi off and never update my version?
Mario Kart 7 received a patch. One of the courses had a glitch that, when exploited, allowed players to essentially skip an entire lap. The patch fixed this glitch, and players were actually forbidden to play MK7 online if they didn't have their game patched. HOWEVER, the glitch still remained in offline play, even after updating.

But like people are saying, this isn't exactly a game-breaking bug, or anything that will have a severe negative impact on gameplay. And in regards to breaking out of hitstun, I'm fairly certain Peach isn't the only character with a move that does that. (Not to insinuate that it was intentional; I just figured it was worth mentioning.)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Mario Kart 7 received a patch. One of the courses had a glitch that, when exploited, allowed players to essentially skip an entire lap. The patch fixed this glitch, and players were actually forbidden to play MK7 online if they didn't have their game patched. HOWEVER, the glitch still remained in offline play, even after updating.
I don't like this. Having 2 different versions of the game is not good.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
@ RyokoYaksa RyokoYaksa

I wish it only affected landing lag. I don't like the idea of combo-breaking specials at all. If my opponent gets me in a legit combo, they should definitely be able to execute the entire thing.

But honestly, I'm not entirely sure if they'll patch it. The reason they fixed the Peach ban glitch was because large numbers of people complained about it. It was an issue that affected a huge amount of their audience. Will the same amount of people complain about this exploit? Casual players will likely never be aware of it. Competitive players will likely embrace it as an advanced technique. Even if a fraction of the competitive community hates it, Nintendo bother to do something about it? That would hardly be the majority of their audience. They wouldn't have the obligation to patch it.

I would argue that glitches like these (most, but not all things in that video are glitches) that make no sense detract from the overall quality of the game. I would hope they would fix them, including this one.

I find it hard to rationalize fixing these glitches not being in Nintendo's best interest. It would help boost the game's reputation as being a "quality game" for the years to come.

Last edited:

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Her being able to cancel landing lag is fine and I think Nintendo might have overseen or let this slip. However, being able to cancel hitstun... it's kind of hard to oversee something like that. Even if that might not be exactly game-breaking either, it's still a pretty stupid bug which is likely to be fixed when the console version comes out. And if they'll fix her being able to cancel hitstun, they'll probably also fix the Down B landing lag cancel trick now they're at it.

lol that's still in? Well in that case you might have a point. Actually, I genuinely hope you're right and I'm wrong and that Nintendo won't fix anything because I think being able cancel lag with turnip throw is a really strong tool but it's not so strong that it would be broken... With it however, I think she is high tier without any doubt and a contender for top tier. Having a non-staling, strong Fair with incredibly range that's very likely safe on block? Hell yes!
I wouldnt call it safe on block as you can just wait untill she's thrown the turnip and then shieldgrab her...unless I'm missing something ofcourse.

To all the people here saying that they hope nintendo patches it because it shows they care / makes it a higher quality game: I agree that they could patch some things for now, especially balance breaking things (which I wouldnt put the lag cancelling under, but maybe the hitstun thing I would), but them patching things like this might also be seen as a bad omen. Constant patching of a game is pretty horrible for a community because it makes it harder to establish a metagame, and is generally annoying. There's surely time to patch things around the start,, but after a certain point it should stop, unless it is gamebreaking (and by that I mean TRULY gamebreaking, such as the peach ban bug, not "oh he can cancel lag with this").

Last edited:

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I wouldnt call it safe on block as you can just wait untill she's thrown the turnip and then shieldgrab her...unless I'm missing something ofcourse.
Fair gives a fair amount of shieldstun and shield pushback, turnip has pretty good shieldstun as well. I'm not really sure if you can punish it with shieldgrab, perhaps characters with fast and ranged grabs could. You can also roll after Fair in order to avoid the turnip and you might still be able to punish her if you have a fast roll. However, all of this assumes that Peach does throw the turnip. If you expect them to react to your throw by waiting in their shield, you can simply run away instead of throwing the turnip and get away safely. If they roll, you bait it and punish. All of these things give her options to get away with Fair on shield instead of just being unsafe and getting punished.

It's also safer on whiff if you whiff it right before their feet since you have got your turnip to cover you. All in all this is a pretty powerful tool so I to really wish the hitstun thing was just never discovered since there is a chance they might patch this, how small or big it may be.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Fair gives a fair amount of shieldstun and shield pushback, turnip has pretty good shieldstun as well. I'm not really sure if you can punish it with shieldgrab, perhaps characters with fast and ranged grabs could. You can also roll after Fair in order to avoid the turnip and you might still be able to punish her if you have a fast roll. However, all of this assumes that Peach does throw the turnip. If you expect them to react to your throw by waiting in their shield, you can simply run away instead of throwing the turnip and get away safely. If they roll, you bait it and punish. All of these things give her options to get away with Fair on shield instead of just being unsafe and getting punished.

It's also safer on whiff if you whiff it right before their feet since you have got your turnip to cover you. All in all this is a pretty powerful tool so I to really wish the hitstun thing was just never discovered since there is a chance they might patch this, how small or big it may be.
If I've noticed two things while playing this game by now it's that shield stun is nearly non-existant to the point it might as well not exist, and that most character have rediculously godlike rolls. But maybe I should go back in and check fair in particular, because you have a good point with the push back it has on shields. :). I am however pretty sure that you can very easily shield the turnip (or the fair if they dont throw it), drop the shield, and dash in to grab with how little shield stun there is, and how much lag the throw animation has.

You can punish (some, but definitely not a lot of them from what I've noticed) rolls with it I believe, but what I'm arguing is that eventually there is no reason to roll when you block a fair. Not throwing the turnip isn't really an option, because fair doesnt auto-cancel untill very very late. Unless you stay floating for long ofcourse, but then you wouldn't even need the turnip cancel.

What, to me, it comes down to is that the opponent definitely has enough time to see all these factors and come to a solution that pretty much solves it.

What makes this tech amazing though, to me, is the mixup opportunity after landing the fair -> downB turnip throw combo. And you're definitely 100% right that this tech is godlike in case you whiff. I might even say that (until everyone knows about this and expects it) that is one of its best uses, people will immediately try to whiff punish when they see the fair, and then BONK turnip to the face. But people will eventually learn not to try and whiff punish if peach has a turnip, or try and punish the turnip throw which would be difficult for some characters, but definitely possible.

Last edited:

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
If you fix a glitch every couple of weeks you will have 20 to 30 versions of the game out there, making it a nightmare for local play for all the kids out there, since I doubt you can do local play with different version of the game. This isn't some PC game where your core audience are all older. You can't go around constantly patching 3DS games. I could see the Wii U one getting some more patches because there's no issue of local play incompatibility, but if you patch that version and not the 3DS version suddenly you have issues of them not being the same game anymore. There are so many more issues here than the typical PC or Xbox game that have been patched in the past guys.

I would argue that glitches like these (most, but not all things in that video are glitches) that make no sense detract from the overall quality of the game. I would hope they would fix them, including this one.

I find it hard to rationalize fixing these glitches not being in Nintendo's best interest. It would help boost the game's reputation as being a "quality game" for the years to come.
LOL. 99.5% (Yes, I did the math) of people who play this game won't even know it exists. There are maybe 100K total in Smash4 competitive community, half of those who will know about this, but the game might sell 20 million copies considering both the Wii U and 3DS versions. (Brawl Sold about 10-12 million on Wii alone) Don't think this will affect anyones image of Nintendo's quality products. Only 0.5% of users even notice this.

But like people are saying, this isn't exactly a game-breaking bug, or anything that will have a severe negative impact on gameplay. And in regards to breaking out of hitstun, I'm fairly certain Peach isn't the only character with a move that does that. (Not to insinuate that it was intentional; I just figured it was worth mentioning.)
Thanks for the info! Yeah, skipping a lap is pretty breaking - guess we don't have any example of super tiny bugs in MK7 huh? I don't think we can compare. It would be like abusing a glitch to magically erase an opponents stock in Smash4.

Last edited:

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you fix a glitch every couple of weeks you will have 20 to 30 versions of the game out there, making it a nightmare for local play for all the kids out there, since I doubt you can do local play with different version of the game. This isn't some PC game where your core audience are all older.

LOL. 99.5% (Yes, I did the math) of people who play this game won't even know it exists. There are maybe 100K total in Smash4 competitive community, half of those who will know about this, but the game might sell 20 million copies considering both the Wii U and 3DS versions. Don't think this will affect anyones image of Nintendo's quality products. You really gonna patch something and risk getting your audience annoyed not being able to local play with friends for having different copeis of the game for something only 0.5% of users even notice?
There is such a thing as "responsible patching." If you've seen a mainstream console fighter with updates, they typically only roll them out every so often. Street Fighter 4 did it infrequently. SCV only did it twice. In those cases, a big collection of glitches was fixed and some balance changes were made. After that, other glitches that surfaced were fixed, with far less balance changes made. Then nothing for a very long time, with only major game breaking glitches being fixed immediately if they were discovered. The players of SSF4 are quite fine with it as opposed to the alternative. But feel free to say that Capcom has no idea what they're doing with their game.

You don't ignore glitches because "not many people will notice them." They are bound to become more prevalent over time. Smash 4 hasn't even been released stateside yet, and you're saying that obscure glitches will continue to stay that way to the public? Yes, it's to your benefit as a Peach player. So am I. You know this. Now step back for a moment and really try to think if keeping beneficial tactics in the form of obvious glitches in the game that make no mechanical sense, is at all a good mindset to have just because it benefits your character.

Sales themselves and the lasting quality of a game are not mutually inclusive. Brawl sold very well due to hype and the larger reception of the Wii console compared to the Gamecube. Did it wind up having Melee's lasting appeal over the years? Not really, considering most Brawl players I've seen can't wait to ditch Brawl and play Smash4. Even a good deal of Melee players are looking for something new in Smash4 that Brawl didn't offer them.

I think you have your tinfoil hat on way too tight thinking that in this internet heavy age, keeping a game up to date is going to be a problem for local wireless. If one person has the access to update, there's little to no practical reason why the other players they're meeting with can't pick it up too other than willful abstruseness.

Last edited:

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Is this actually that game breaking?

It's situational anyway having to hold a Turnip and once you throw it that's it, no more breaking out of hitstun until you pull another one. Turnip throw is hardly the quickest of attacks and certainly won't protect you against vertical juggling (you can only throw it forward).

The only justification I can see (for the time being) for this being patched is if this allows her to eliminate knockback Brawl Game&Watch Bucket-style (even then the Bucket tech didn't make G&W OP)

Last edited:

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Is this actually that game breaking?

It's situational anyway having to hold a Turnip and once you throw it that's it, no more breaking out of hitstun until you pull another one. Turnip throw is hardly the quickest of attacks and certainly won't protect you against vertical juggling (you can only throw it forward).

The only justification I can see (for the time being) for this being patched is if she this allows her to eliminate knockback Brawl Game&Watch Bucket-style (even then the Bucket tech didn't make G&W OP)
Development process for debugging often involve a giant list of glitches that are found and fixed all at once with a single update. Smash4 is glitch ridden and a lot of things can stand to be fixed. It's not really a matter of it being game breaking or not. If it was found during prerelease debugging, you would expect it to be fixed prior to release and not passed off as a legitimate tactic by word of god, because that would be absolutely absurd. Peach's breaking "For Glory" mode causing temp bans was game breaking and worthy of an immediate hotfix. Something like this isn't game breaking enough to be worthy of a hotfix, but you can very realistically expect it to be fixed in a large bugfix patch once more time is allowed to find as many as possible to minimize different updates.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
^ What he said.

The only justification I can see (for the time being) for this being patched is if this allows her to eliminate knockback Brawl Game&Watch Bucket-style (even then the Bucket tech didn't make G&W OP)
I tested this out a little bit and it doesn't seem she can. They seem to have removed knockback braking by doing second jump etc.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Okay, I REALLY enjoy doing the turnip autocancel thing. If they have to patch something, I hope they just patch the hitstun canceling and keep the autocancel.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Sooo, this autocancel thing was super useful. Got to play against a buddy. With the increased hitstun the turnip gets to cover you before they can respond. At least against Bowser's giant ass.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
^ What he said.

I tested this out a little bit and it doesn't seem she can. They seem to have removed knockback braking by doing second jump etc.

Hmm I found the opposite - I think momentum cancelling still works when you cancel hitstun with Turnip Throw. Have you tried 2nd jumping and starting up Float then moving in the opposite direction you've been hit or using Peach Bomber immediately after starting up the Float?

I wish the Turnip wouldn't get knocked out of her hand if she gets hit by something hard :(

Last edited:

Ryota

Smash Rookie
I assume this to be known, but since I haven't found anyone talking about it, you can actually choose the direction you want to throw the turnip by inputting the direction + A just before you press down B to cancel whatever you're doing.

This also opens up the possibility of smash throwing the turnip, since down B by itself just throws it normally. Nothing huge but more options are always welcome.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I assume this to be known, but since I haven't found anyone talking about it, you can actually choose the direction you want to throw the turnip by inputting the direction + A just before you press down B to cancel whatever you're doing.

This also opens up the possibility of smash throwing the turnip, since down B by itself just throws it normally. Nothing huge but more options are always welcome.
I didn't know this. However, I can't replicate it in training mode, she just throws the turnip forward. I'm doing a Fair > Direction + A > DownB. What could I be doing wrong...?

Ryota

Smash Rookie
I didn't know this. However, I can't replicate it in training mode, she just throws the turnip forward. I'm doing a Fair > Direction + A > DownB. What could I be doing wrong...?
The timing is kind of strict. Try sliding your fingers from A to B and see if it helps.

Top Bottom