• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach Tournament Results (UPDATE! 2/16/12)

gantrain05

Smash Master
its definately winnable with peach, but its not really a good thing to do especially if the MK knows the peach matchup, then you have such a small chance of winning its probably better to CP, i can **** MK's that don't know **** about peach, but i can play worse MK's than those and still lose if they know the MU.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Meh, I can keep up with Capem's MK, and he's a respectable MK who also knows the Peach MU. It's all about adapting and baiting any little opening that you can (and yes, MK has openings albeit ones that take strict timing to punish). If you rely on any of Peach's bread-and-butter tactics without a possible alternative plan in the back of your mind at any given time, you'll get *****. Simple as that. Still a hard MU though for sure.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
You have to play meta real slow. I played my friends meta last week. The match lasted over 8 mins. But nit because he was playing gay. I'm taking my time and playing defensive. I have no need to rush meta. And I won the match. Thats the only way you gonna beat him. If you dont have any patience ( cause this match up will take time) You are not gonna win.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Not happy at all with my placing or performance, but...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=258389

13 out of 45 entrants.

MK is hard and I'm seriously contemplating whether I can actually beat a good one with my Peach.
I recommend counter-picking MK for a better shot of winning. Peach has no options vs MK.

Peach can beat a MK, but that feat is near impossible @ high-level play. Choose a high-tier or a low-tier that can stand a chance vs MK.

Ask Praxis, Edrees, KOS-MOS, Dark, Excel_Zero, Kyon, or any of the other top Peaches.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I recommend counter-picking MK for a better shot of winning. Peach has no options vs MK.

Peach can beat a MK, but that feat is near impossible @ high-level play. Choose a high-tier or a low-tier that can stand a chance vs MK.

Ask Praxis, Edrees, KOS-MOS, Dark, Excel_Zero, Kyon, or any of the other top Peaches.
That is not true dude.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I think it's possible to win, just keep refining the matchup and find a stage peach is good at and can force MK errors.

How can you punish that tornado? Have you tried the new UAIR string that rox hard? Are you throwing turnips all day and all night and bringing toad out every once in a while?

I think she has great options. I'd throw in some wasping too once I get to play some MKs

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I usually take him to battle field. Thats my easiest stage to fight meta. but now metas are banning that stage against me. (as well as other characters that fight me there)

So I had to find another stage to take meta too. And I found it. Lylat.

Nicole

Smash Champion
Thinking more on it, I just haven't ever played any high level MKs. I was actually doing well against MKs for awhile there, but Kel pretty much destroyed me the first match I played him. No one in my area is actually good with MK, and playing Kel really opened my eyes as to exactly what MK can do to Peach. Just need to play with more MKs sometime, I guess...

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Thinking more on it, I just haven't ever played any high level MKs. I was actually doing well against MKs for awhile there, but Kel pretty much destroyed me the first match I played him. No one in my area is actually good with MK, and playing Kel really opened my eyes as to exactly what MK can do to Peach. Just need to play with more MKs sometime, I guess...
*enters the Peach Boards~ *

Don't worry Nicole! You can always practice on Joker or Razor. You'll get better, I know you will. You'll kick MK's butt.

(that is if you can count them as high level MKs)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Don't jump to conclusions just yet Nicole. Also consider that (as you said) you don't have any experience against a high level MK prior to Kakuna, and I'd imagine Kel has plenty of Peach experience from playing Rowan's Peach. Yes, MK can possibly shut Peach down, but only if the Peach has no clue how to work around it. Peach still has a chance if she plays it extremely safe and precise. Edrees and Dark.Pch are living proof of that approach to the MU being effective.

Nicole

Smash Champion
Well thanks. I don't want to have to rely on a secondary anyway. I think you and Dark.Pch are right. I just have to play more cautiously and practice the matchup waaaayyyy more than I have.

Wish I lived somewhere not in the middle of nowhere...

(PS, come to our STL tournament KB, I hear a few people (Lou and Nope for sure) from your area are wanting to go, so you could hitch a ride with them :bee:)

gantrain05

Smash Master
playing cautious against another cautious MK you are going to lose, you guys are assuming the MK is making mistakes, if he doesn't rush into peach ****, he's just not going to lose, im sorry but if MK plays just as gay as you are trying to play you aren't going to win at high level play. thats my two cents.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
playing cautious against another cautious MK you are going to lose, you guys are assuming the MK is making mistakes, if he doesn't rush into peach ****, he's just not going to lose, im sorry but if MK plays just as gay as you are trying to play you aren't going to win at high level play. thats my two cents.
I am not assuming meta is making mistakes. I have been playing gay metas for toolong now. Every time I fought M2K in tourny and lost to him, I have never feltI could not beat him. The 2 times I lost to him in tourny I thought about it. And know why. And it has nothing with him playing gay or shutting me down. To be honest, I would not be scared of feel I would lose to him every time I fight him in tourny. But he is a smarter player than I am. So of course I am gonna lose. I know I can beat him. He is not some god, and nether is meta wether people wanna believe it or not. There is also one thing I noticed about M2K when I play him. But I am keeping that to myself and next time I run into him in tourny I'll use it to help me win.

I have lost to meta in all these gay ways. Same time I have beaten it. And I also tell these metas to play me as gay as hell. That way I can break the ice with peach and over come it. Now I won't have much to worry about. it's all me if I lose. I'm getting closer to officially beasting in this match up. As of now, metas don't even wanna fight me on battlefield. That shows some improvement and that I am doing something right. Even if it is taking some time. Now to improve some more.

And as I said before, people just don't have enough patients against MK. MK is not a match up you can be all agressive, play fancy and do the same thing over and over. Even a noob meta would beat your butt for this. That's what people need to understand.

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
And as I said beore, people just don't have enough patients against MK. MK is not a match up you can be all agressive, play fancy and do the same thing over and over. Even a noob meta would beat your butt for this. That's what people need to understand.
I completely agree to this. I think some peach players should keep in there sig what I wrote yesterday and remember it well.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
You must have missed one key word in my last post: Edrees. The MU is winnable, no matter how the MK decides to fight. Varying difficulties are associated with the MK's style of play I'm sure, but to guarantee a loss?

I'm curious, when is the last time you faced a seasoned defensive MK who knows the Peach matchup in a high level of play in order to come to and (surprisingly) assure your conclusion?

goodkid

Smash Lord
Peach player need to follow KOS-MOS's advice:

"Don't approach, time MK out."

Peach seriously has no offensive options vs MK. She is all defensive in this matchup

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Uair string?

I'm not running from a metaknight. Yea I'll probably get beaten being agressive, but I like playing that way. Spam those dairs and remember when he likes to spam Up B and tornado .

goodkid

Smash Lord
Uair string?

I'm not running from a metaknight. Yea I'll probably get beaten being agressive, but I like playing that way. Spam those dairs and remember when he likes to spam Up B and tornado .
MK has too much priority, and I'm sure the string won't last that long. I don't know the exact percents that it works though, so I could be wrong.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
This is the problem I see with a lot of players: A new tactic or technique is found and suddenly players shift most of their focus and effort on practicing and trying to land that one tactic, kind of like a nooby ICs player who just focuses on trying to grab. Stick to the fundamentals people! Worry about what you can do to exploit openings and force mistakes in the matchups that you cannot approach in! Lance, I like you because you're cool, but your entire post was a prime example of why there are so few Peaches placing high right now. They're more focused on what THEY'RE doing instead of what the opponent is doing, especially against MK players. Case in point: if you don't pay attention to what your opponent is doing and how you do against it, you'll never learn from your mistakes because you won't be able to make the necessary observation to correct any of your mistakes, and that can halt your improvement where it counts.

I don't like making assurances myself, but Peach WILL lost to MK if she does not pace her game safely and camp any lead like crazy. Simple as that.

My recent placings and general boost in confidence and performance have come from making plenty of said observations on my own gameplay, against every matchup that I felt I could play against better; and if I run into a new obstacle (be it a certain player or character) I just study it hard and work to beat it. That's how I eventually got around to beating some of the players in my area who used to stomp me, who are all coincidentally the Ohio PR players, which is beneficial for me.

So that's what I'm trying to get at, tricks and all that are nice, but your core game comes first and foremost.

Metatitan

Smash Master
There will always be players who want to play their way. If they want to win they'll fix what they're doing wrong and move on. About the new techniques....

Yeah they're incredibly useful but they're only things to keep in mind (and of course make sure you can do). I personally would never intentionally try to set up the Uair string (being obvious about it of course), people would avoid me like the IC's grab. It's just something to keep in mind if you get the chance to perform it.

White-Peach

Smash Ace
I really don't think there's much "setting up" to be done with the UAir string, one SH DAir (that everyone loves so much, I even learned to short hop consistently just to be able to do it and save my float [I really never short-hopped before that, I adjusted height with a float because of habitual float-cancelling from melee!]) into a buffered float UAir. I'm not saying I can do it yet (the setup I can, easy-squeezy!), but I don't think it's hard to set up.

I can boneSLIDE at will probably 95% of the time, and ledgepulls 100% :D My little brother hates it so, because it looks like I should stop and woooooo I keep going :)))

gantrain05

Smash Master
You must have missed one key word in my last post: Edrees. The MU is winnable, no matter how the MK decides to fight. Varying difficulties are associated with the MK's style of play I'm sure, but to guarantee a loss?

I'm curious, when is the last time you faced a seasoned defensive MK who knows the Peach matchup in a high level of play in order to come to and (surprisingly) assure your conclusion?
to answer that second paragraph, ALL THE TIME, i play MK's more often than any other character in brawl, my friend who's been a MK main since brawls release is my training partner, and trust me if they KNOW the matchup very well and are very very patient, its **** near impossible.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
This is the problem I see with a lot of players: A new tactic or technique is found and suddenly players shift most of their focus and effort on practicing and trying to land that one tactic, kind of like a nooby ICs player who just focuses on trying to grab. Stick to the fundamentals people! Worry about what you can do to exploit openings and force mistakes in the matchups that you cannot approach in! Lance, I like you because you're cool, but your entire post was a prime example of why there are so few Peaches placing high right now. They're more focused on what THEY'RE doing instead of what the opponent is doing, especially against MK players. Case in point: if you don't pay attention to what your opponent is doing and how you do against it, you'll never learn from your mistakes because you won't be able to make the necessary observation to correct any of your mistakes, and that can halt your improvement where it counts.
OMG THIS IS SO TRUE! Unfortunately, I'm one of the Peaches who focus more on what he's doing instead of the opponent. But I had realised it earlier, so I'm working on it, and it's getting better. Still not good, but better. But really, this is important, especially for Peach.

:053:

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
I don't know what's up with all this mk can't be beat talk lol. We got turnips. That break shields gives over 30 damage, Mr. Saturn, and bombs. Including a crazy fast jab. Just use em. I still to this day say turnips are the key to everything. I played this good mk in tournament the other day and I pulled 2 beam swords in one game. I gave him the buissness and the next mk I played I glide tossed a bomb for game. Im known in florida for pulling too much crazy stuff lol

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
to answer that second paragraph, ALL THE TIME, i play MK's more often than any other character in brawl, my friend who's been a MK main since brawls release is my training partner, and trust me if they KNOW the matchup very well and are very very patient, its **** near impossible.
If he is not some top player OR even places well in tournies, that is not saying much. So think about that before you decided to bring your "friend " up.

You just said in the other thread that you suck with turnips. News flash dude. One of the ways to get at meta is a good use of turnips. Not just plucking them and tossing them mindlessly or just glide tosses to w/e.

turnips are not only a weapon for damage. You just don't get one and toss them hoping to hit one. Turnips are a **** mindgame as well. Just by holding a turnip in your hand. You are already toying with your opponents head. When you get one, it puts your opponent on the defense cause they do not wanna get hit. You did not have to do anything to them to screw with them. Turnips are a tool to mess with the mind and THEN get your damage off.

"pluck turnip"
"toss it"

NO!^ There is about maybe 6 steps before you toss it. Also Peach can fight with items in her hand via floating. And she can bring that Floating to the ground for more of a confusing. Your opponent won't be able to tell when you will toss the damm turnip. She is like the drunken master. Maybe His wife, w/e. Just holding that thing in your hand can lead to so much confusing. Hell, might even confuse the hell out of you. Yes it is that serious.

Also, meta has to be in your face to do damage. You don't have to. You have things you can throw at him. So there is no need to approach meta. People forget this alot, hell even I do sometimes. he has to come to you. You don't. A GOOD turnip use is important in this match up. very important. And you suck at using them from what you are saying. So I am sorry but I can't sit here and take this from you.

Last thing, if you seiously gonna go on about this and feel nothing YOU can do about meta. Then stop using Peach. Pick up a nother character. But tell me if it is easy for you to beat players like Ally or M2K with Meta. You do that and come back to me. While M2K beats Ally, M2K still strguggles to beat him, And he is uing the best in the game. fox player beating tyrants meta. A freaking Fox. That Ness player Fow beating up big names with high tiers. yet you Peach with much better options than Fox or ness and gonna cry over about your character or match up? Those boys don't do it, so why are you? You think it is gonna change anything? You think Nintendo is gonna go and harass sukaria about Peach and fix her? Go on about your character an match ups don't make you improve at all from your loses. And thats how people get better, by losing.

meta knight is meta knight, get use to it. he is in the game. Get use to it. Nothing you say or do is gonna change that. No matter who you use, Meta will still be a pain. he is here to stay. can;t deal with it with your character, quit maning/using her and go to another characterthat is better. but the problem will never go away no matter who you use. So enough of this and get better as a player in general. then with your character. Then learn how to fight the match on a basic measure. Then worry about how smart your enemy is as a player in general. if not, don't touch this character again and quit this complaing. Done.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Ditto to what Dark said (but with less KABLAM! on it lol).

Peach has so many options at her disposal compared to characters that players have already defeated top MKs with. Sure...Fox can kill, and Ness is just plain awesome, but both *arguably* get gimped harder than Peach does by MK anyway and the players still worked around that. Peach has the necessary tools to get the job done as well. I'm not saying the matchup is easy, it's not. If you approach like a ******, you will lose. The Peach will almost always have to work twice as hard as the MK player (or equal or higher skill usually) to get the win. Also, your "friend" is a moot example to bring up unless they're actually a seasoned player with accomplishments and whatnot. He may just be familiar with your Peach, which is what your description of "impossibility" comes from. Difficult-extremely difficult depending on the opponent, but not impossible.

Gea

Smash Master
The biggest difference is they can kill. Not saying you aren't correct, but even if you play circles around other players Peach's biggest limitation is her killing power not being reliable except in extreme cases (grab release on Wario).

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Good point, then again it's never easy to land a kill move with any character on a respectable MK lol.

Nicole

Smash Champion
In JLo's defense, his friend is Razor, who is a very good MK who consistently places well in the MW (Razor is nearly always in the top 8 of any tournament and gets 1st - 5th at smaller ones, depending). Both Jlo and Razor are from IA, and they don't travel a whole lot. But they're very good players.

Anyways, thanks for the good advice Dark.Pch and KB, I'm going to practice against MK as much as I can. I want to believe that Peach can win, so I'm going to prove it to myself as best I can. I know Peach is good enough, I just have to make sure that I am good enough too.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Ima have my Diddy ready for MK by jan 30, a huge regional out here for exactly the reasons edrees said.

it's just too hard for me to be consistent vs mk w/ peach.

i'm tired of risking any losses to people who I feel aren't better than me.

I will do peach vs anybody else in the cast but I'm not doing str8 peach vs mk anymore.

When push comes to shove and I have to cp round 3. I'm moving that cursor over from Peach to Diddy, and from Random to FD.

But all the while I'm still gonna practice pch vs mk but it's a little ridiculous imo.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
IMO:
Peach is capable of winning against MK- any MK.

However, Peach is not capable of winning CONSISTENTLY against MK.

You have to significantly outplay the opponent, by a not-impossible amount. It's just incredibly difficult to do that consistently, at all times, against the best players in the world.

It's strongly in MK's favor.

Top Bottom