• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach's Dthrow ->Bair chain -> to anything ... lets do it more in 2012

LanceStern

Smash Lord
This is a very short topic right now because I'm in the middle of studying

But Peach's down throw opens up a world of opportunity for frame traps or putting the opponent in bad positions. Which honestly I think falls into a much bigger topic that I hope to post in 2012 about "Choosing the option with the highest probabilities".

One thing I've recently been using is dthrow -> bair -> bair -> something else. At low percentages (particularly zero percent) you can do a nice frame trap. It works best on vertically heavy characters (see space animals, ganondorf, captain falcon) but can also work on unsuspecting middle weights as well.

Example on Pit
Example on Diddy 1 Example on Diddy 2
Example on Marth
Example on Fox

Some might ask - "Why not just chain grab?". And for that I say there are some characters you can't chain grab that can be hit by this string a lot easier. It also gives you the benefit of placing the opponent near the edge of the stage OR above you if you so desire.

I would encourage you guys to jump into training mode and try some strings yourself.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
The second thing I'd like to bring up is the idea of using the dthrow to put opponents in positions where 90% of the time you can do damage to them.

The one example I'll use is Dthrow -> Ftilt almost always works on opponents and is fairly safe.
Another example is Dthrow -> buffered short hop bair which does a significant amount of damage and is GENERALLY SAFE.

But the wisest option I've thought about recently (particularly against Falco or Lucario) is Dthrow -> Uptilt. If you hit them with the uptilt, you've done massive damage and put them in a bad spot. If you miss the uptilt -> so what? Whereas if you miss the buffered bair, they can clash with one of their high-priority and fast aerials, and if you hit with a stale ftilt, they can punish you.

Gimme your thoughts. 8 times out of 10 now when I dthrow Lucario at less than 60% I just buffer uptilt.

Nordal

Smash Lord
It's not guaranteed. They could just jump out. I'd focus more on followups after the guaranteed tilts or regrab.

Post in Illmatic's metagame thread from now on. It will keep the thread active and give ideas for experimentation.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
I added this into my thread Lance, if you don't mind.

Artaclaris

Smash Cadet
I have done this a few times recently and noticed it works most of the time. Slipping in bairs catch people off guard who think they are going to hit you fairly often.

Nordal

Smash Lord
It's funny how you can't just post in the metagame thread and insist on making individual threads.

No one ever said it wouldn't work. It's just not guaranteed, and coupled with down throw's long animation, they have plenty of time to prepare for it.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Does the metagame thread get looked at?

Case in point: In high-level play I've seen Marths do the forward throw -> buffered fair. In theory, you would DI up and away or airdodge... but I've seen too many people get hit by it.

Top Bottom