• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pellets: Poking and Tech Chase Set Up

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
So I've been playing the demo for the past few days now and the main character I've been playing is Mega Man. At first, I've had many difficulties just beating the level 9 computer controlled Mario (hard time adjusting to 3DS as well). The wins that I did achieve were almost always sudden death since it feels difficult to score kills with the Blue Bomber.

Utilizing the Pellets in a certain way, I've started seeing better results.

Mega Man's pellets (jab, ftilt, and nair) are extremely safe attacks provided they are used properly. Mega Man can easily transition from jab to ftilt to jumping nair between or after pellet shots. With a lot of practice, I've been poking at the opponent's shield by shooting 3 pellets (either standing or moving forward with ftilt) then jump cancelling with a short hop (this part is important) then maneuvering backwards away from my opponent (Mega Man will continue facing the direction he shot at). Transitioning into jumping from ground pellet shots appear to have less recovery, as I can move backwards then start the animation to throw my metal blade before landing (it takes longer if you recovered from the ground). Continuously doing this while weaving forward and backwards constantly harasses the opponent, makes it difficult for them to approach, baits grab attempts (whiffed due to jumping away), and provides mix up opportunities. Pellets also collide with projectiles that have about 10 damage (more than that probably beats the pellets). It also stops items from being tossed. In addition, reflected pellets will collide with one another and you can weave backwards out of the range of your reflected pellet.

Alternatively, you can jump forward if you are close enough to maneuver yourself to the backside of your opponent's shield (where you can't get grabbed) then following up with a bair before landing.

Also, if you happen to not short hop (in order to leave as few openings as possible) you can use the jump height to maneuver yourself in the air just as easily, but this could provide the opponent with breathing room as opposed to just short hopping backwards with this technique.

Next, if you manage to score hits with the pellets you can knock the opponent away in such a way that resembles other jabs (but with more range). While approaching with ftilt, hit with the first two pellets then short hop jump cancel into the third pellet (ftilt, ftilt, nair combo). If you are close enough, the third pellet will hit the opponent harder than the usual pellets. This will knock the opponent away. At low percentages, it will knock them to the ground a certain distance away. Predict their tech option and punish it from there. Options include slide attack, dash attack, fsmash, dsmash, usmash, or continuous pellet shots (if they don't tech, then you can potentially set up a jab lock).

Feels like this might be Mega Man's metagame. Give it a try.

Last edited:

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
I also notice if you hit an opponent really close with the jab(epically with the nair) it cause good knock back. Really good for edge hogging but needs to be close.

hanafuda

Smash Rookie
NNID
Enorak11
3DS FC
3265-5518-4735
Not sure if someone already pointed this out, but his Bair can act as a spike at the initial frames of the move, just tested it on the demo, not sure if someone else can confirm this.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Not sure if someone already pointed this out, but his Bair can act as a spike at the initial frames of the move, just tested it on the demo, not sure if someone else can confirm this.
I posted about this in another thread.

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
Last edited:

TheCrashMan

Smash Rookie
The lemons seem like the bread and butter of Mega Man's arsenal to me. They've gotten me some edgeguard kills at disgustingly low percentages in the demo, although some of that might be the AI sometimes falling into pure stupidity. If it fails they at least damage the enemy for a bit first, and can stun them long enough at times for a close range slide or a grab. Heck, the combo of lemon -> grab -> Flame Sword (if center of the stage), Hard Knuckle (if they fall below you), or Charge Shot (if they're flying far off stage) is generally how most of my Mega Man plays go.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Jump cancel the ground pellot animations, that's freaking genius, I can't believe I didn't think of that myself lol.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
One of my favorite setups is if you catch an opponent very low to the ground but not touching it, you can combo ftilt or jab into Mega Upper as a true combo on their landing frames. You can also do this on tripped or pratfalled opponents and it works like a dream.

Also, Down Throw->Flame Sword->Mega Buster's close hit deals about 21% damage without leaf shield (or as high as 28% with leaf shield) and is a true combo at low percents. Overall I feel the Buster is Mega Man's most versatile and useful tool in Smash 4.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
Top Bottom