• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pensacola, FL Monthly #4 - 01/17/09

Ruse

Fox
Main Thread
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=210705

Changes
-N/A

Links
-All is Brawl Link
-Main Thread
-Florida Thread

General Information
Date:
January 17th, 2009

Time:
Please do not show up before 10:30am!
Friendlies and registration will start at 10:30am.
Brawl Low Tier Singles will begin at 12:30pm.
Brawl Doubles will begin no earlier than 1:30pm.
Melee Singles will begin no earlier than 2:30pm.
Brawl Singles will begin no earlier than 3:30pm.
Registration for individual events will remain open until the event begins.

Games:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles
Super Smash Bros. Melee Singles
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Doubles
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Low Tier Singles

Entry Fees:
Brawl Singles - $10
Melee Singles - $5
Brawl Doubles - $10 per team
Brawl Low Tier Singles - $2
Note: I will most definitely have change, but exact change would be appreciated. All of the profit goes back to the players!

Prizes:
Brawl Singles - 1st 55%; 2nd %20; 3rd 15%; 4th 10% if attendance is <20
Brawl Singles - 1st 50%; 2nd %20; 3rd 12%; 4th 8%; 5th 5% if attendance is >20
Melee Singles - 1st 55%; 2nd %20; 3rd 15%; 4th 10%
Brawl Doubles - 1st 60%; 2nd %25; 3rd 15%
Low Tier - 1st remainder of pot; 2nd $5; 3rd $3; 4th $2

Pensacola, FL 32505
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sad...5&sspn=0.104869,0.154495&ie=UTF8&ct=clnk&cd=1
Note: This is my home, not a game store or other venue.

Parking:
There's a huge grass field across from my house.

Housing:
If you've driven a ridiculous amount of time (a few hours+), we could most likely give you a couch/bed/mattress/floor to sleep on. I'd say we can sleep five extra people comfortably, but more if necessary.

Cell Phone - (850) 982-2348
AIM - OSWEETEXTINCTION

Brawl Rules
Basic Rules:
-3 stock.
-7 minute timer.
-Items are set to "off" and "none."
-All sets will be best out of three matches, except for the losers', winners', and grand finals, which will be best out of five.
-The tournament will be double elimination.
-All playable characters will be allowed.
-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
-No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
-In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
-If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. In the rare case that both stock and percentage are the same, a one round one stock overtime will be played. The characters and stage will remain the same as the previous match.
-Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
-If a game ends with Bowser doing his Suicide Klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
-You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings before a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
-Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
-Stalling* is banned.

*Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Additional Rules for Double's Play:
-Life Stealing is allowed.
-Set team attack to "on."

Additional Rules for Low Tier Play:
-Will add this ASAP!

Stage Information:
Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match.*
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure.**
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set.
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2.
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List.
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches.

*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match.
**Players take turns striking stages from the starter list until only one remains; these stages are not banned and can be counter picked later in the set.

Starter:
-Battlefield
-Final Destination
-Lylat Cruise
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island

Counter:
-Brinstar (Melee)
-Castle Siege
-Corneria (Melee)
-Delfino Plaza
-Frigate Orpheon
-Halberd
-Jungle Japes (Melee)
-Luigi's Mansion
-Norfair
-Pictochat
-Pirate Ship
-Pokémon Stadium 1 (Melee)
-Pokémon Stadium 2
-Rainbow Cruise (Melee)

Banned:
-75m
-Big Blue
-Bridge of Eldin
-Distant Planet
-Flat Zone 2
-Green Greens (Melee)
-Green Hill Zone
-Hanenbow
-Hyrule Temple (Melee)
-Mario Bros.
-Mario Circuit
-Mushroomy Kingdom I
-Mushroomy Kingdom II
-New Pork City
-Onett (Melee)
-Pork Town Aero Dive
-Rumble Falls
-Shadow Moses
-Skyworld
-Spear Pillar
-The Summit
-Wario Ware
-Yoshi's Island (Melee)

Melee Rules
Basic Rules:
-Items are set to "off" and "none."
-4 stock.
-8 minute timer.
-All sets are best of 3 matches, except for winners', losers', and grand finals.
-In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors.
-No player may choose the stage they last won on unless agreed upon by both players.
-Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played.
-Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match.
-The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned.
-Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned.
-Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned.

Additional Rules for Double's Play:
-Life Stealing is allowed.
-Set team attack to "on."
-Add Termina: Great Bay to the Counter Stage List.
-Add F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City to the Banned Stage List.
-Add Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams to the Banned Stage List.

Stage Information:
Set Format (in order of procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match.*
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set.
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List.**
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List.
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character.
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character.
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches.
*Double blind character selection may be called for this match.
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage.

Random Stage List:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
Dream Land: Green Greens
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Mushroom Kingdom II
Planet Zebes: Brinstar

Banned Stage List:
DK Island: Kongo Jungle
Eagleland: Onett
Eagleland: Fourside
F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
Lylat System: Venom
Mushroom Kingdom I
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Past Stages: Yoshi's Island
Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths
Superflat World: Flat Zone
Termina: Great Bay

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
unless she backs out, I'm actually going to have my girlfriend here this time. ^_^

too bad she has no interest in smash.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
YO, do the melee tourney have a good turnout and i didnt see melee teams up there, are you gonna have teams in melee?

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
last time was the first one that held Melee. Since it was only Brawl till then, there wasn't a whole lot of people for Melee yet. Panhandle Manhandlers were there of course, and some other guys from Pensacola and Panama City. A few from Louisiana were supposed to show, but missed out on it.

There's new interest in the game though, so it should be able to grow. I'll work on training people here in Melee and have it available at our Brawl smashfests. I'll also have Tatsunoko vs. Capcom available if you guys want to try it out.

Speaking of which... Ruse, do you want to just hold a smashfest at your place tomorrow? I doubt there's many people at UWF right now due to the break and we'd probably get more players / setups at your house. Easier for guys like SkakerBaj & Bummerz too.

Ruse

Fox
YO, do the melee tourney have a good turnout and i didnt see melee teams up there, are you gonna have teams in melee?
The turn out was pretty small last time, but there's only one way to change that :p.

I think that Melee will have a lot more entrants this monthly because a lot of people were rushed to leave last time. I know that Manko, Ram, Drumma, Rice, and Boomstick will probably show from the good ol' Panhandle Panhandlers. Myself (definitely), Holy, DeCoN, Bummerz, and a few others should enter, as well. Even if the turn out isn't huge you should still come. Playing with the PM crew is really fun/difficult.

last time was the first one that held Melee. Since it was only Brawl till then, there wasn't a whole lot of people for Melee yet. Panhandle Manhandlers were there of course, and some other guys from Pensacola and Panama City. A few from Louisiana were supposed to show, but missed out on it.

There's new interest in the game though, so it should be able to grow. I'll work on training people here in Melee and have it available at our Brawl smashfests. I'll also have Tatsunoko vs. Capcom available if you guys want to try it out.

Speaking of which... Ruse, do you want to just hold a smashfest at your place tomorrow? I doubt there's many people at UWF right now due to the break and we'd probably get more players / setups at your house. Easier for guys like SkakerBaj & Bummerz too.
Hmm. I'll think about the Smashfest and send you a yes/no text before the night is over. If we do, we could also hold it a bit earlier than 8:00 (6:00, maybe?). I'm done with school, so I'm pretty much free for the next month unless I'm recording/practicing/playing shows, which isn't incredibly often.

Some of my friends are interested in holding a decent sized practice tourney. We held one the other night, but only for seven people:
1. Ruse aka Mariah (R.O.B./Mr. Game & Watch/Meta Knight/Donkey Kong)
2. Camus aka Mike Waters (Marth)
3. Lime Juice aka Dustin (Kirby/Donkey Kong)
4. Mike Love aka Mike Love (Olimar/Pit)
5. Griff aka Alex Robinson (Link/Young Link/R.O.B.)
5. Stone aka Bill (Marth/Mr. Game & Watch)
7. Orca aka Vlad (Wolf/Toon Link/Diddy Kong)
are the results. Small, but really fun. I got to use my new alts a lot. We did double elimination and 2/3, just like a standard tourney. Camus actually beat Lime and Mike, which is really weird/interesting.

Plus, you should train me in Melee. Jiggs, Marth, Doc, and Sheik are all fun as s***, and I'd love to actually fight someone who I don't own (Lime, my friend Joey, and DeCoN are the only people who really enjoy Melee, but they're not really into it, so).

Lizard

Smash Ace
If i can make it i will definitely hit up the low tier tourney.

And the regular singles of course..... maybe doubles.....

Ruse

Fox
Ruse.... will i be seeing some of your kickass Jiggs skills on the low tier?
Ehhh. I'm not sure. I dunno if she's still kickass at all.

I've been playing Melee more, thus not playing my Brawl Jiggs very much. I try to stick to different mains each game so that I don't confuse my play styles (Fox/Falcon/Pikachu 64, Jiggs/Marth/Doc/Sheik Melee, & ROB/G&W/DK/MK Brawl). I was playing Marth and Jiggs in Brawl for a while, but then it became really hard to go back to Melee. Now that I don't play the same characters in different games it's soooo much easier.

I've been trying out Link, Mario, and Samus lately. They're all fun.

Why the f*** aren't we holding a SSB64 tourney? That'd be crazy/retro/crazy retro.

Edit: ...Wait. How did you know I played Jiggs?

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
I try to stick to different mains each game so that I don't confuse my play styles.
That's the same reason I haven't tried picking up Samus again in Brawl. That, and she's no where near as good...

Watching Tudor's vids really tempt me on it though.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I just noticed that you guys tourney that same weekend as tipped off 4. If i don't do to that, i'll be at ya'll tourney. I'm surprised you have wobbling, I've just noticed it.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
Tally will be there more than likely

Have First prize ready for uh :p
I'll have first prize ready for Holy, DBS :p.
we all kno he wanted to say my name lol. i KNOW he wasnt referring to a tally kid. jk lol.

no seriously though

if someone from pcola doesnt win this imma be mad upset. pcola better be training hardbody over the break.

Ruse

Fox
pcola better be training hardbody over the break.
I've been playing quite a bit and feel like I'm getting a lot better. Manko doesn't meat ride me anymore (he's still better than me), which is pretty nice. I like where my Game & Watch is going, and, although I don't think my DK or MK will be ready for PCola #4, they're still pretty fun and somewhat reliable.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
lol, I think you've got the definition of meat riding a little confused.

we do need to play more though. Only once since Holy left so far.

Ruse

Fox
lol, I think you've got the definition of meat riding a little confused.

we do need to play more though. Only once since Holy left so far.
I fail at language.

I'm up for friendlies at any time, man.

Ruse, when did you start picking up DK,

And is he not the coolest MOFO ever?
Like a week ago.

Coolest? I dunno about that. I enjoy ROB and G&W more, but he's definitely up there.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
I'm better at melee, but i might play brawl. But i don't play that at all, that might not be a good idea.

K.C. Cloud

Smash Ace
Heheh, new to the area, and live not to far away. I might come to this one to see how a brawl tourney goes. Tho if I come I'm definitely signing up for the melee singles.

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Bad news, my car broke down last week. We think its my stater, but if i cn fix it before the tourney, i'll be more than happy to go when the car is fixed, hopefully i can make it to this one.

Top Bottom