• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

People who spam projectiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random765

Smash Cadet
What is the best way to counter this?

How do you guys deal with players who spam projectiles?

Give me some suggestions. I play with a friend who uses this tactic. He gets real cocky and spams bombs and arrows/boomerang nonstop with Toon Link. I can occasionally roll/shield grab him to the point where I can spike him off the stage (When this happens, he'll rage and call me a cheep asshole and other expletives LOL) but even that is a difficult task. Projectiles will cancel your momentum, and you're forced to take massive damage trying to reach your opponent.

And by projectile spam, I mean LITERALLY standing still doing nothing but mashing the little red B button.

Im used to playing offensively, which stems from playing Melee since its release and project m, and projectile spam wasnt too big of an issue.

But this game, holy ****ing **** its quite the task to counter.

Last edited:

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
*COUGH* *COUGH* *COUGH TELL HIM COUGH TO GET OUT COUGH* Sorry just uh my lungs... taking in.... uh... dust.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
Warning Received
But if I do that, he'll rage kick the Wii U and smash it into millions of pieces, then call me a "jew." How anti-Semitic, rite?
:GCLT::GCRT::GCA::GCStart: your sorry *** friend. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
  • Powershield -> dash
  • Spotdodge -> run
  • Short hop air dodge -> repeat
  • Jump in -> dair
  • Counter with better projectiles (if applicable)
  • Jab clash with projectile (if applicable)
  • Pick Rosalina, Palutena, Fox, Falco, Villager, Ness, or G&W

StevoPhilo

Smash Rookie

Give me some suggestions. I play with a friend who uses this tactic. He gets real cocky and spams bombs and arrows/boomerang nonstop with Toon Link. I can occasionally roll/shield grab him to the point where I can spike him off the stage (When this happens, he'll rage and call me a cheep ******* and other expletives LOL) but even that is a difficult task. Projectiles will cancel your momentum, and you're forced to take massive damage trying to reach your opponent.

And by projectile spam, I mean LITERALLY standing still doing nothing but mashing the little red B button.

Im used to playing offensively, which stems from playing Melee since its release and project m, and projectile spam wasnt too big of an issue.

Depends on your character. Most of the time you can run in and perfect block the projectiles so they won't push back. Some characters can combat their projectiles quicker. ( except for the bombs ). Best thing is to try to get in and expect a down smash when you do.

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
This.
Take :4villager:, wait for the arrow, :GCB:, and throw it right back until he learns betters.

If you pick :4gaw:, use his bombs to fill your bucket and unleash it on that b**** after shorthopping/dashing him back towards the edge.

Last edited:

YELLO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyuuketsukou
3DS FC
2509-3654-5979
we better lock this because some children might get their feelings hurt

Random765

Smash Cadet
  • Powershield -> dash
  • Spotdodge -> run
  • Short hop air dodge -> repeat
  • Jump in -> dair
  • Counter with better projectiles (if applicable)
  • Jab clash with projectile (if applicable)
Smart thinking. Ima try this.

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
Yeah, projectile spam in this game is real. Especially online. I'm such a sore winner too, i'll beat them and i'll just be angry because they're wasting my time. I honestly don't understand how "zoning" in smash is a fun way to play. I like to play with custom equipment on and use the "shield healer" badge. So zoning is actually detrimental to them, the more they mindlessly throw things at me, the more I heal %. This way when i win it makes them look even worse because I'm still at 34% with two stocks.

I think that the "lame" mentality is flawed, because you can see yourself racking up percent but you're not actually doing anything intelligent. When it comes time for you to get the kill you can just throw out random smash attacks and hope it works. And a lot of the time it does work, unfortunately. Especially online where its harder to react to things, one mistake and you're dead at 170%. But if you take "shield healer" and use it against them, all of their "hard work" is put to waste. They just end up helping you out with their spam. And then they can see how bad they really are.

Sorry, i'm just eternally salty because my buddy who i play against all the time has a thing for the zoning characters.

I'm so sick of Duck Hunt and Pac-Man.

Random765

Smash Cadet
This.
Take :4villager:, wait for the arrow, :GCB:, and throw it right back until he learns betters.

If you pick :4gaw:, use his bombs to fill your bucket and unleash it on that b**** after shorthopping/dashing him back towards the edge.
**** I didnt even think of Game and Watch. And it's funny that you mention Villager because thats my main character. I wish you could grab multiple things instead of one, then have projectiles on deck. AND, on a side note, theres nothing more satsfying than beating the **** out of someone with a turnip. it'd be cool if you could chuck that thing around.

Random765

Smash Cadet
Yeah, projectile spam in this game is real. Especially online. I'm such a sore winner too, i'll beat them and i'll just be angry because they're wasting my time. I honestly don't understand how "zoning" in smash is a fun way to play. I like to play with custom equipment on and use the "shield healer" badge. So zoning is actually detrimental to them, the more they mindlessly throw things at me, the more I heal %. This way when i win it makes them look even worse because I'm still at 34% with two stocks.

I think that the "lame" mentality is flawed, because you can see yourself racking up percent but you're not actually doing anything intelligent. When it comes time for you to get the kill you can just throw out random smash attacks and hope it works. And a lot of the time it does work, unfortunately. Especially online where its harder to react to things, one mistake and you're dead at 170%. But if you take "shield healer" and use it against them, all of their "hard work" is put to waste. They just end up helping you out with their spam. And then they can see how bad they really are.

Sorry, i'm just eternally salty because my buddy who i play against all the time has a thing for the zoning characters.

You're absolutely right. These ****head degenerates abuse that zoning approach as a way to make their win/loss ratio pretty. I respect some who kicks my ass if they use SKILL, rather than spamming projectiles.

Just hang in there. Your buddy is like mine. Imagine if they played a match together. LOL.

B4ssick L3e

Smash Cadet

Give me some suggestions. I play with a friend who uses this tactic. He gets real cocky and spams bombs and arrows/boomerang nonstop with Toon Link. I can occasionally roll/shield grab him to the point where I can spike him off the stage (When this happens, he'll rage and call me a cheep ******* and other expletives LOL) but even that is a difficult task. Projectiles will cancel your momentum, and you're forced to take massive damage trying to reach your opponent.

Zelda's reflector can be really ridiculous, my mega mans main weakness is that thing. But if someone is spamming (especially villager trees) then cape (or any other reflect move) that sucker back and they will learn a valuable lesson. Its about reads, not greeds.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
@ YELLO YELLO

TOO LATE!!!

Jk, jk.

Good players should know when to spam projectiles and when to go aggressive. Your friend is clearly not a good player. If you want to approach him, you should try rushing him down, or approaching him from the air. The latter should be easy, since all this guy does is spam projectiles, leaving him vulnerable. when he uses his them, as far as I can remember, he can't throw/shoot them diagonally, so approaching at this angle will force him to change his tactics.

Random765

Smash Cadet
@ YELLO YELLO

TOO LATE!!!

Jk, jk.

Good players should know when to spam projectiles and when to go aggressive. Your friend is clearly not a good player. If you want to approach him, you should try rushing him down, or approaching him from the air. The latter should be easy, since all this guy does is spam projectiles, leaving him vulnerable. when he uses his them, as far as I can remember, he can't throw/shoot them diagonally, so approaching at this angle will force him to change his tactics.
Yeah I def agree with an air approach. I usually jump in the air and follow with an aerial or fastfall shield grab/side smash. Since you're a ROB main, is his neutral aerial still as potent as it was in past games? I havent really explored ROB yet, and a fastfall neutral air would be a viable counter to a projectile camper.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic

Zoning is fun because it's a mental battle. If you can't beat it, that means I've outsmarted you. A good zoner isn't just tossing projectiles constantly, that's wicked easy to beat. A good zoner will get inside your head and know your moves before you do. They'll put a Metal Blade exactly where you're trying to dodge, they'll hesitate for a second before firing another laser for you to drop your shield, they'll throw an uncharged power shot just to disrupt your rhythm. If you think zoning is mindless, it's because they've beaten you before you even realized you were playing.

That is why I zone.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
:GCD::GCDR::GCR: + PUNCH for hadouken, it'll clash with their projectile and cancel it out.

But really, use all your defensive options. Don't hold shield for too long, try to get perfect shields. Keep your cool and slowly increase the pressure. Approach them cautiously and calmly by short hopping over projectiles with empty jumps. Don't make the mistake of committing to an approach just so they can hit you with another projectile.

Once you get close enough, they won't have enough space to safely fire.

If projectiles are a problem, then you probably have a lot to learn once you are up close as well. Knowing your spacing and pulling out all the stops by understanding the rhythm of your character is important. Find out the duration of moves and the lag/recoil from them. Some attacks should be initiated as soon as you jump off the ground (Bowser's Bair) in order to strike at the apex and land safely without lag. Others require you to pull them out the last possible second before landing (ZSS Nair) because they have very little landing lag.

Once you are close, you can keep the pressure up with moves that last for a duration with multiple hits. Mario's Dair is a good example because he can move through the air with it. You can keep the opponent off balance with relentless attacks, they won't have time for a long range attack.

A lot of characters that don't have tools such as a strong projectile game, or reflect, will probably have more moves with multiple hits so that once you get inside you can be relentless.

Last edited:

Random765

Smash Cadet
Zoning is fun because it's a mental battle. If you can't beat it, that means I've outsmarted you. A good zoner isn't just tossing projectiles constantly, that's wicked easy to beat. A good zoner will get inside your head and know your moves before you do. They'll put a Metal Blade exactly where you're trying to dodge, they'll hesitate for a second before firing another laser for you to drop your shield, they'll throw an uncharged power shot just to disrupt your rhythm. If you think zoning is mindless, it's because they've beaten you before you even realized you were playing.

That is why I zone.
Sometimes around my area we play people for money, so I want to know everyones tips, weaknesses, strengths, ect..

You seem skilled. What are your weaknesses?

Enlighten me.

Trekkerjoe

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I def agree with an air approach. I usually jump in the air and follow with an aerial or fastfall shield grab/side smash. Since you're a ROB main, is his neutral aerial still as potent as it was in past games? I havent really explored ROB yet, and a fastfall neutral air would be a viable counter to a projectile camper.
ROB's nair is faster, but it's damage and knockback has been nerfed slightly. Still potent enough to send someone into the air, just lacks killing power.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Sometimes around my area we play people for money, so I want to know everyones tips, weaknesses, strengths, ect..

You seem skilled. What are your weaknesses?

Enlighten me.
Go ****ing nuts. Don't bait and wait for an opening, go HAM and hit buttons. I fall apart under pressure. Get in once and never stop being in. I play Mega Man, I'm not used to having to deal with pressure. I got bodied by a Bowser of all things because he'd never let me have any breathing room.

Random765

Smash Cadet
Go ****ing nuts. Don't bait and wait for an opening, go HAM and hit buttons. I fall apart under pressure. Get in once and never stop being in. I play Mega Man, I'm not used to having to deal with pressure. I got bodied by a Bowser of all things because he'd never let me have any breathing room.
Ah, very interesting. Especially because I play offensively. I always have. Its served me well. Very insightful input.

This new game is vastly different from its siblings. Its seems to reward both offense AND defense. Alot of it is based around mind****ing your opponent, based on what alot of yall are saying.

im still fairly new to this latest installment.

Raijinken

Smash Master
If he rages when you beat his bad strategy, then you really should just stop playing with him.

Anyways, as others have mentioned, reflectors, better projectiles, etc work well. Additionally, you can start picking stages that will force him out of his little corner, like PAC LAND! No, kidding, not worth it, but really, there are ways. You could play Duck Hunt and just out-spam him.

Random765

Smash Cadet
If he rages when you beat his bad strategy, then you really should just stop playing with him.

Anyways, as others have mentioned, reflectors, better projectiles, etc work well. Additionally, you can start picking stages that will force him out of his little corner, like PAC LAND! No, kidding, not worth it, but really, there are ways. You could play Duck Hunt and just out-spam him.
LOL believe me, nothing is more satisfying than pissing off an opponent who uses cheap strategies.

I went to a Project M tournament and faced a guy who did nothing but spam Mario's fireballs. I kicked his ass with ivysaur, and he ******* and talked **** about how he could have beat me. I went out for a cigarette, and he was still talking ****. So hilarious. It amazes me how this franchise can get so competetive and serious. I love it.

As for duck hunt, I cant figure out how to put his neutral B to good use.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
LOL believe me, nothing is more satisfying than pissing off an opponent who uses cheap strategies.

I went to a Project M tournament and faced a guy who did nothing but spam Mario's fireballs. I kicked his *** with ivysaur, and he *****ed and talked **** about how he could have beat me. I went out for a cigarette, and he was still talking ****. So hilarious. It amazes me how this franchise can get so competetive and serious. I love it.

As for duck hunt, I cant figure out how to put his neutral B to good use.
It may be useful to know that instead of just mashing, you can get a lot more distance (and a more stable height) by timing the hits, as it has some sort of momentum conservation. Plus, you can do that while moving around, so you can place a gunman, lob the can, send out a disc, and lob the can all at once. It's quite a lot to try to avoid at once, especially while trying to keep your own wall up like Link does.

Random765

Smash Cadet
It may be useful to know that instead of just mashing, you can get a lot more distance (and a more stable height) by timing the hits, as it has some sort of momentum conservation. Plus, you can do that while moving around, so you can place a gunman, lob the can, send out a disc, and lob the can all at once. It's quite a lot to try to avoid at once, especially while trying to keep your own wall up like Link does.
You can do that ALL AT ONCE?!? Dude thats whatsup. **** yeah if **** gets real and someone starts spamming me Ill use the Dog. That will really troll a spammer.

Very insightful

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
You can do that ALL AT ONCE?!? Dude thats whatsup. **** yeah if **** gets real and someone starts spamming me Ill use the Dog. That will really troll a spammer.

Very insightful
Using gunman to advance the can is another good option while throwing out a Frisbee. A lot of people forget that gunman can do that.

Illuminati13

Smash Rookie
NNID
JulesF13
Definitely play as fox (fox would probably be the best) or other speedy characters like shiek or falcon. Especially with toon link you need to keep putting constant pressure on him. Wherever he goes, you go.:4fox:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium

That is why I zone.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Some might think that spamming projectiles is cheap and easy, but in reality it's a difficult art to master. In my case, I have to spend time learning how to manage my items. Keeping track of my bombs so that they don't hit me while possibly catching them in the air before they land so that I can throw them in another direction, knowing what angle I need to throw my boomerang so that it'll end up where my opponent is going to be, shooting arrows in order to limit my opponent's options to move freely around the battlefield. Not to mention making sure you mix things up every now and then so that your zoning patterns don't become too predictable. Zoning is my favorite way to play, and I'm not ashamed at all to do so. It definitely has its strengths and weaknesses just like every other play style in the game.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
:GCLT::GCRT::GCZ: Hit which ever one of these is your sheild button with the right timing that's seriously it.

Alternatively pick up a pocket character with reflector or projectiles. Some characters have both ROB, fox ,zelda ect.

David Wonn

Smash Ace
Wario's bike also works wonders against most projectile spammers, especially if you perform a wheelie, and then let the front wheels land hard on your opponent's head. This exact method was also handy in Brawl, especially against Falcos who spammed double lasers too much.

Watch out, though. Common side effects include opponents suddenly liking Wario and doing the same thing, so be sure you are at least decent with Wario's other moves as well.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
There are certain characters that deal with projectiles better than others. Examples are those with reflective moves:
:4darkpit::4pit::4villager::4fox::4falco::4mario::4palutena:

Keep in mind too that this isn't a foolproof strategy: your opponent can avoid their own reflected projectile and hit you during the cool-down of the move you used to reflect.

If you don't want to switch characters, however (and to be honest, it's not necessary to switch), power-shielding works for every character, as you can act out of them immediately and continue dashing at them.

For :4tlink: and :4link:, remember that you can grab their bombs. Be mindful of their boomerangs, as they use them to keep control of space (Link's also pushes you and pulls you in). Their arrows can be jumped, shielded and air dodged.

If you want to practice power-shielding, I suggest the following: make a large custom stage with walls on the sides and summon a Koopa Shell item. Toss it and try shielding it on the way back to the best of your ability to learn the timing.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn

Spammers are easy to deal with. Zoning is a different business and all players that zone will tell you that. I play a zoning game and basically the way to beat me is to figure out my patterns and find the holes (like a boss battle in any other game). When you are zoning and the other character comes through it's time to react. Try to bait a previous reaction. Maybe the last time you approached they rolled. This is a common strategy of less talented players that are spamming. Shoot shoot shoot roll. Try to bait the roll with an aerial approach. Land, and punish the roll instead of using the aerial. If they are shield grabbing your aerials, make sure you land behind them to remove this option (i.e. cross up aerials). If they use up b OoS (very good option for Samus), again, try to bait it, air dodge, then punish the lag.

You say you main villager. In your case, just put your damn tree up, spam loid yourself from inside the tree (where loid gets out but you are still protected from projectiles, and use pocket if they stupidly shoot their projectiles at your tree. Against Samus, a missile is probably just an attempt to fill up your pocket to follow up with a charge shot. Don't fill your pocket with a missile. CS can tank your missile and hit you. If they throw out a lot of missile CS combos, you can short hop the missile and fast fall to pocket the charged shot. This should make any samus very scared as it is generally a OHKO or a guaranteed shield break. TBH, villager is the toughest matchup for samus IMO.

Someone else mentioned zelda. When I play against a good zelda that is rough too. Her reflect lingers longer than it used to. Farore's wind is a legit attack that goes right through a zoning wall. If you are good at spacing Farore's wind you can definitely brutalize a zoning character unfamiliar with the matchup.

Finally, if you aren't any good with reflect characters and just try to bust them out and reflect, reflect, reflect, you will likely get badly punished by a zoner because they'll be able to bait your reflects and punish.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Who do you use? I found that any character who has an air attack that have good range can mess up projectile spammers, I'm talking stuff like Palutena's Fair, Mario's Bair, Fox's Nair, Marth's...everything. Just be patient with that cause what I like to do is keep picking them off, avoiding their projectiles, and once they realize how high theur percentage is, that's when they'll stop and try to get close up which, in their case doesn't end well because they're often wreckless.

If they don't start running at you then try to find a way to put them down and get them in a position where you can pressure them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom