• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perfect Control - AR video - FINISHED!!

The Cape

Smash Master
I suck at using this thing, I need lessons.

I have come to the conclusion however that I am 99% sure it will work, if I can do it.

You have to walljump and before you leave the wall do a turning up and B, then walljump again.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Originally posted by Thomas Tipman
SDM: how would i edit it frame by frame, i will be getting the footage on my PC by tomorrow. how would i edit it (ex. take every other frame out)?
Well.

What you need to do is go through it manually and pick out the frame you want. Then you have to split that one frame of video from the rest of the video and add it to the video storyboard. Then you do that for the next frame you want. Rinse, repeat. A very tedious process.

Unless your video editing software supports some sort of "extract single frame" option, this is the most feasable way to do this.

Rye

Smash Journeyman
This will probably make you guys scream, but you can drag frames off of a video feed on most Mac computers. If you have a player that supports "step forward 1 frame", it would probably save a lot of time.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
omni: im probably gonna try getting that program you suggested though there is one problem (i have a 56k modem)...OUCH! so ill probably mooch off of my friends dsl connection and get it from there.

Doraki

Smash Lord
I've been using VirtualDub to select and delete all the frames between 2 game frames, but it still takes quite some time. (A few seconds / game frame maybe.. depends on how you've been doing it)

Fox's btt can be done in 6'85 but it's not much more impressive than my 7'06 video. I'll be doing more AR btt..

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I'm assuming my idea for multiple Yoshi's edge egging at once fell through, but I have another idea. How about in one of the smash versions, where there is freeze framing, you could do multiple jump-cancelled shines on a double jumping Yoshi. Since Yoshi will never get knocked back by it, you could get him to double jump through 3 foxes jump cancelling shines on different height platforms, and see how much damage you could rack up?

Just a thought

Edit: I don't think freezeframing would look that cool, and it would screw up your timings and stuff anyway, so there's no real point to using it. I just thought it'd look cooler if it slowed down to watch Yoshi get pummelled.

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
I don't think I can finish this. I just don't have the interest in it I used to. The awe-inspiring coolty is gone. I can send all the stuff I have so far to whoever is willing to continue production. I will still help on clips if requested. If this falls off the front page I'll let it go (for real this time).

Discuss.

Shadow-Kitsune

Smash Cadet
NO!

PLEASE tell me you're joking. The stuff in the preview alone was MIND-blowing. I loved every part of it, no matter how short it was.

CONTINUE!

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
SDM, could you send me what you have so far? Being that it's close to Summer and my own AR video is now finished, I should have spare time to put into this. I just need to know what format you have it in now so that I can decide which editing program I should use.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
d00d! It was such a great concept. I can understand though. I guess its good omnigamer's taking a crack at it. we'll get a different smasher vids incorpaorated.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Well, like I said, it just depends on what video format he has the files saved as. If the base for the footage is mpg or avi, I'll have a pretty easy time editing in new stuff. If it's wmv or other though, I'll have to use a different editing program, which doesn't support the grab one frame option, meaning the long tedious way. And I assume people will still make some efforts to send in new clips that are needed for the vid. Although Summer brings a lot more free time, this doesn't mean that I won't have a busy schedule a lot of the time. So I can't be stuck with the entirety of the project, or I may just lose interest in it, as SDM did. So basically I'm saying that if you want this vid to come out, at least make an effort to contribute to it.

The Cape

Smash Master
Something to add that may be fun:

Have someone being spiked continuously and continuously meteor cancelling so as to gain height. (3 falcos forward Bing a GW or something)

kirkq

Smash Ace
YOU CANNOT CANCEL THIS VIDEO

just the preview man....fox is crazy...i want to see more....i have been looking forward to this video for so long

someone must step up

i like just the PREVIEW of this video more than any video ive seen...EVER!

SuperDoodleMan

Smash Ace
Ok Omni, I have all the stuff ready to give to you. I'll try to be on AIM as much as possible, or I could email it to you if your email can hold 93 megs.

I'll answer any questions, or requests for clip editing, or advice of any kind.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
SDM, it might be easier to just upload it to yousendit.com and then you can PM me the link. I haven't seen you on AIM so far, and if you've been really busy, that may be the best way to do things.

skatiN64

Smash Cadet
could I have the link to the debug faq?
also, could someone tell me? do the buttons need to be held down as Z is pressed to proceed to the next frame?
thank you.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I got a AR and i have tryed out tsome of the stuff you have done on the video I have all summer and a butt load of graduation money to spend on a capture card that I was going to get anyway.

I would be glad to continue this project

Is there anyone other than me an Omni that can work on this

also..... is there a specific capture card that I should get for this.. I also have a 8MP camera and a tripod would that work?

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Ok... I have all the stuff that SDM has done so far now, but I've had the ill luck to have the hard drive on my main computer die last week (this was the one that had all of my editing software etc. on it). Dell's sending us a replacement, and the data on the dead one may be recoverable, but regardless it'll take about a week before we have everything loaded back up. I'm not saying that this will stop my efforts in the project, just delay anything from it for about a week.

Now to clarify some things for anybody that is attempting to help or thinking about helping with the project. I _do not_ need to have the footage pre-edited to fit normal speed. Just send me whatever you have recorded, and I can edit it up to normal speed myself. But if you feel like editing it yourself, feel free to do so, just follow the guidelines from the first page of the thread.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thats good I dont really feel like editing much any way. Omni I got a question, if I set up a tripod and my digital camera (and my camera is has pretty good resolution) do I take a picture of every frame or every other frame or what? Or do I absolutely need a capture card? Once I do a complete shot I can just put them all in order in a folder then send the folder to you over aim.

Is there a specific thing that I should be taking shots of, I don't want to do anything that has already been done or captured.

*awaits orders* teehee

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Camera or camcorder? If it's just camera, with pictures strung together into like a gif or something, it's not gonna work too well. But with a camcorder, it would be preferred that you use its direct line input ability (if it has it) to connect to AV Out ports on your TV with a cable that should have come with the camcorder when you bought it. From there, you can send it via high-speed ports (IEEE 1394 aka Firewire ports, or USB2.0 ports) from the camcorder to the computer, where an editing program is waiting to encode it. This is preferred because there's no loss of quality, whereas setting it up on a tripod and pointing it at the TV will always have some loss in video quality, no matter how powerful the camcorder.

Both of the functions I mentioned are fairly new (standard for maybe only 2 or 3 years), so every camcorder may not have them. But capture cards do work as well.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
For the stuff such as the really fast shine I thought that SDM was capturing each individual frame as a separate file and then putting them together in the editing program. I was talking about just sending you those frames so you could use them in the video. How would you bring a video up to normal speed if the speed that it was captured at varies? In order to advance one frame you must push the z-button along with whatever command you are giving your character so the speed would be kinda hard to control if the whole process was video and not pictures.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
That's where a lot of the tedious editing comes in. The problem with what you're suggesting, though, is that we want the final product to be video in form, and to do that, we have to record it in video as well. Taking snapshots of the necessary frames and linking them together won't help in the end product.

Eyes Of Darkness

Smash Rookie
It's pretty useless, and probably not very impressive, but try putting in Falco/Fox grabbing ledge, falling off and Forward-B back onto the ledge. It's easy in 1/4 speed, but I want to see what it'd look like done perfectly in normal.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
yeah, a friend of mine just got AR recently, so i could probably borrow it a lot (he's at my hosue like everyday) and help out with this project. My only concern is the quality of the tapes i have, but that can be easily remedied via purchasing new tapes. So really i could start helping with whatever.

So just tell me what to do and i can probably start on it quickly and send you the files on aim or DC++ or something.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Originally posted by Eyes Of Darkness
It's pretty useless, and probably not very impressive, but try putting in Falco/Fox grabbing ledge, falling off and Forward-B back onto the ledge. It's easy in 1/4 speed, but I want to see what it'd look like done perfectly in normal.
We can do one up on that. I somehow doubt that the phantasm/illusion leave enough frames to be invincible the whole time, but I'd have to check. Mass flame hogging could be done (the max number of foxes/falcos on a single ledge at one time I'll have to do the calculations for later), but it may seem pretty redundant with some things that we already have recorded.

If some of what I said doesn't make sense, just let it slide for now. It's late, and my brain is shot from tests etc.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
alright well from the looks of the situation omni Im gona have to get a capture card. I have some money, enough to buy one, but I also need money for gas and what not. I start a job tomorow the first paycheck will go to that. Then I can begin to help you, I was thinking of doing fight sequences like little combos and stuff that would be hard to inuit due to the other persons DI jiggs would be the combo master if it wasn't for this.

and also *shakes fist* ****it I just realized you were the one I was getting champloo from.... and now your hard drive is gone.

*kicks wall*

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
It's about 80% done. For the last 20%, I had some technical problems for a while, but now they're fixed, so I can probably have them finished shortly after FC.

Helios

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'd like to see a fox powershielding some really strong attack, just to JC the shield into shine, and start a flatland infinite out of it. Wouldn't that be nice? :)

JRI3102

Smash Apprentice
about the powershield do you think it is fast enough to powersheild the entire superscope each time because that would look amazing followed by samus charge shot all reflected just by a powersheild everytime. (p-sheild, wavedash back, powersheild) if it is that fast if not falcos lazers.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Gah, sorry to keep everyone in the dark about this lately. Things just keep popping up and stealing my time -_-

There's only a few clips left to go, and they're probably going to be the trickiest to record, but they'll be done soon enough.

And I apologize that this is taking so long. As I said, it's just been one thing after another... right after I took on the project, my primary hard drive failed, and that took a while to sort through. FC3 crept up on me after that. I was planning to have everything finished this coming week, but my family sprung on me a vacation to Las Vegas that I had otherwise forgotten about, so I'll be gone all of next week. But I give my promise that I'll give a full effort to have it out that following week.

If anybody is interested in recording some of these last things while I'm gone, you'd be greatly speeding up the process and have my thanks.

Final clips to be recorded:
-Rapid Link Edge Spins
-4 Marios Ledge-hopping to fireball repeatedly on the same edge (Note: Using back to fall from the edge will not work, as Mario will turn around to do the fireball)
-4 Ganons uairing off of a ledge-hop on the same ledge repeatedly
-This isn't really something that can be done with AR, but if somebody's up for a challenge (or knows of such a vid already in existence), a vid of someone hitting every single credit at the Starfox style ending credits would be greatly helpful

gothieboy101

Smash Cadet
uhh i have a question...how do you do that on action replay...mine doesnt have anything about shortening or slowing down frames it just has cheats and the freeloader and stuff

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
Omnigamer said:
-This isn't really something that can be done with AR, but if somebody's up for a challenge (or knows of such a vid already in existence), a vid of someone hitting every single credit at the Starfox style ending credits would be greatly helpful
word. how about hitting every single credit twice? =ppp :dizzy:
if only there was an easy way to slow that down...

Top Bottom