• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perhaps an AT - Staring

Davinci

Smash Rookie
I'd like to take this opportunity to say hi everyone, this is my first post. I didn't play much Melee but I got into Brawl ever since my roommate got a copy over spring break. I've been reading around on the boards trying to up my game and I like all of the techniques everyone has come up with. I main Ike and Lucario, but I'm working on Pit, Wolf, and Pokemon Trainer, as they all seem like diverse characters to play with.

BEGIN COMBO SECTION

However, I didn't see the technique I've begin practicing among the published repertoire. It is a riff on RARing, and would be useful for any characters with killer Bairs. Essentially it is a standing RAR (hence the tentative name of Staring - STAnding Reverse aerial rushING)

INPUT SEQUENCE

For a character facing to the right

1. Flip < slightly (as if you were about to do a turnaround F-tilt)
2. Jump Y
3. Bair >+A

RESULTS

If done quickly enough, you should hardly even see the frame where the character is facing left, they will simply initiate a standing jump Bair aimed to the right. This is especially useful for Ike, since it has the same range and speed as his punch, but over three times the damage and knock back.

I'm afraid I don't have the ability to post a video, but if anyone else would like to they are more than welcome.

I also apologize if this has already been discovered or is not considered advanced enough, I merely thought I would post it since I didn't see it on any forums or in videos.

Until next time,

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
All you people need to stop coming up with "Advanced Techniques" that aren't really advance techniques, more like just putting A and B together.

So you turn around and Bair really fast? WOW!! BROKEN!!!

This has been around since freaking smash64.

/topic

HiIH

Smash Lord
Ok, so here's a new AT. You take your hand, and mash the stick on the other persons controller. When they walk off an kill themselves, congratulate yourself for your truly awesome execution of this new AT.

Some variations of this technique is to throw something at your opponent, pull their chair out from under them, spit on them, or simply unplug their controller.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Ok, so here's a new AT. You take your hand, and mash the stick on the other persons controller. When they walk off an kill themselves, congratulate yourself for your truly awesome execution of this new AT.

Some variations of this technique is to throw something at your opponent, pull their chair out from under them, spit on them, or simply unplug their controller.
Or shouting in their ears : FALLLCOOON PAUUUUNCH!

HiIH

Smash Lord
Oh, I'd also like to call this technique IHing.

That's pronounced Doo shuh bah ging.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I'd like to take this opportunity to say hi everyone, this is my first post. I didn't play much Melee but I got into Brawl ever since my roommate got a copy over spring break. I've been reading around on the boards trying to up my game and I like all of the techniques everyone has come up with. I main Ike and Lucario, but I'm working on Pit, Wolf, and Pokemon Trainer, as they all seem like diverse characters to play with.

BEGIN COMBO SECTION

However, I didn't see the technique I've begin practicing among the published repertoire. It is a riff on RARing, and would be useful for any characters with killer Bairs. Essentially it is a standing RAR (hence the tentative name of Staring - STAnding Reverse aerial rushING)

INPUT SEQUENCE

For a character facing to the right

1. Flip < slightly (as if you were about to do a turnaround F-tilt)
2. Jump Y
3. Bair >+A

RESULTS

If done quickly enough, you should hardly even see the frame where the character is facing left, they will simply initiate a standing jump Bair aimed to the right. This is especially useful for Ike, since it has the same range and speed as his punch, but over three times the damage and knock back.

I'm afraid I don't have the ability to post a video, but if anyone else would like to they are more than welcome.

I also apologize if this has already been discovered or is not considered advanced enough, I merely thought I would post it since I didn't see it on any forums or in videos.

Until next time,
The name makes no sense, this is stationary so it isn't a rush. More like STA.

In any case, this is just turning around and doing a SH aerial, no AT here. RAR was not in any other Smash game (AFAIK) , that is why it is a big deal.

No offense, but if this is your first Smash game you probably shouldn't be trying to find ATs.

kr3wman

Smash Master

In any case, this is just turning around and doing a SH aerial, no AT here. RAR was not in any other Smash game (AFAIK) , that is why it is a big deal.

No offense, but if this is your first Smash game you probably shouldn't be trying to find ATs.
SMB64 was everyone's first smash game, and they found ATs for it...

FrozenFire13

Smash Ace
And the winner of this thread is HiIH. Lol, pwned.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord

There wasn't RARing in Melee or Smash64, but there was certainly "Turn around and Bair really fast".

Davinci

Smash Rookie
Wow.

I expected this to be picked apart, announced as known, disputed, or otherwise negated; I did not expect that a bunch of puerile game-nerds would be this off putting to random strangers for no purpose other than to pump up their own egos.

I thought I'd mention this since despite it being relatively uncomplicated, I'd seen it used nowhere. I know the name sucks, but I least I wasn't being a total ego-***** about it and trying to call it DavinciBARing or something.

Shears

Smash Master

good discovery, it will definately change the momentum of any match, should be pretty useful.

Shears

Smash Master

good discovery, it will definately change the momentum of any match, should be pretty useful.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Not a bad find. In my opinion, this is obvious. Then again, I've been playing since Smash 64. :D

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Wow.

I expected this to be picked apart, announced as known, disputed, or otherwise negated; I did not expect that a bunch of puerile game-nerds would be this off putting to random strangers for no purpose other than to pump up their own egos.

I thought I'd mention this since despite it being relatively uncomplicated, I'd seen it used nowhere. I know the name sucks, but I least I wasn't being a total ego-***** about it and trying to call it DavinciBARing or something.
Yeah, sorry about that. Don't judge the community by a few rotten apples. Especially recently, a ton of losers have joined SWF. It's actually pretty depressing. I think the fact that one of your first posts was actually a contribution, knowing the terms, and talking intelligently should be enough to get some praise. Don't worry though, the noobs will disperse soon. Welcome to the forums, hope you aren't scared off by the idiots.

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
hehehe i swear when i first read the title, i thought it was some smart *** who said "staring is when u don't move and just look at the other guy. midngames LOLOLOL"

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
hehehe i swear when i first read the title, i thought it was some smart *** who said "staring is when u don't move and just look at the other guy. midngames LOLOLOL"
Lol same, Thats why I clicked on this thread. :)

I sometimes pretend to be away from the controller (is AFC a recognized term? lol) to lure my friends on wifi over to toadstool jump on my head (dont ask me why they do it, they just do). It worked the first time; now they just smash me over the edge. *******s.. "Staring". Lol.

OR, maybe if you're in the same room, you start STARING at your opponent all intensly, hoping you'll creep him out enough for him to stop owning you.:)

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Wow.

While the manner in which the previous posters went about responding to your post was wrong, their general message is fairly correct. It's not okay to attack people for no reason, and I'm afraid that it's just something you have to get used to here. Behind the pigheaded, violent posters, however, there are a lot of people worth having a discussion with. It is good, also, that you are trying to contribute to the community.

That said, I'm afraid this is, indeed, nothing special. If you really believe you've never seen this used, then you haven't watched closely enough in videos of characters with good Bairs. Wherever RAR is used regularly, so will this "standing version" of RAR. You're right. It's uncomplicated. It's just jumping and doing a Bair. Anyone who makes regular use of RAR almost certainly has done and does do this. Watch some TLink or G&W videos closer, I'm sure you'll see this used.

The goal of contribution was a good one, but your contribution was lacking. That's okay, though, because you yourself knew and said that this was probably not a big deal. You didn't hype it up, and that was the right thing to do. You recognized its simplicity and probable already-existing knowledge of, but you wanted to contribute anyway. That's alright. People react too harshly sometimes. It's an all-entry internet forum, that, unfortunately, will happen.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
All you people need to stop coming up with "Advanced Techniques" that aren't really advance techniques, more like just putting A and B together.

So you turn around and Bair really fast? WOW!! BROKEN!!!

This has been around since freaking smash64.

/topic
i know this is offtopic, but i noticed you've been a member since 2003, and only have 50 posts.

that means you post 10 posts a year, and you used one up on THIS THREAD?

i don't have a problem with that, it's cool, just confusing.

HiIH

Smash Lord
I just enjoy being a ****, and getting involved in some friendly ribbing.

Learn to take a ****ing joke over the INTERNET.

ATs. Serious Business.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
i know this is offtopic, but i noticed you've been a member since 2003, and only have 50 posts.

that means you post 10 posts a year, and you used one up on THIS THREAD?

i don't have a problem with that, it's cool, just confusing.
I'm mostly a huge lurker on everywhere but the Smash64 boards, mostly because any argument that I could have said about melee was usually done better by a more experienced smasher. However, I had to voice my opinion here, because all these "NEW AT" topics are really annoying and a waste of time. They clutter up the board and are distracting from the topics that actually post AT's that aren't obvious or useless.

OMG NEW AT - BACKJUMP!!

You run forward and then you jump and move backwards!!! It TOTALLY changes your momentum, and is great for mindgames, your opponent will never see it coming!!! OMG ADVANCED TECHNIQUE!!!

Junpappy

Smash Lord
Staring is an awesome mindgame pplz. It certainly worked for Taj in melee.

Top Bottom