• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Personal Problems! Hooray!

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Link to original post: [drupal=3057]Personal Problems! Hooray![/drupal]

I've been lurking in the User Blogs section recently and come across a few blogs about personal issues and asking for advice and whatnot.

Now I want one.

I moved in with a friend I've known since Kindergarten in an apartment last quarter. We're both known for being moody; in his case it's that he simply refuses to feel neutral towards anything and looks at things in either an extremely positive or negative light, and I'm your standard bundle of angry anti-social recidivist. I figured the "known each other since Kindergarten" and the "2 moody guys" facts would kind of balance out, but another friend recently revealed to me that he's been holding some animosity towards me, something she found out on New Years.

The main complaints seem to be that I don't do enough housework, I don't interact much with him, and my room is always messy. I'm not going to list my counterarguments here, but I totally have them. Somewhere.

The main thing I noticed after I came up with my counterarguments is that most of the issues revolve around something I hadn't counted on. No, not X-factor. His girlfriend.

I don't know her that well. Other than the fact that she has no inside voice, I don't really have any personal issue with her. It's just the fact that she's THERE. I didn't really think too much into what I expected the roommate dynamic between my friend and I would be like, but I certainly didn't factor his girlfriend practically living with us. Which she does, at times.

I've woken up some mornings, having to take a wicked piss or an unholy dump, and I have to wait. Not for my friend who shares in the monthly payments. He's actually working early mornings, which is another reason I should never have to deal with this kind of problem.

Another thing. I'm not comfortable around couples if I'm essentially third-wheeling them. So if they're both in the apartment, I stay in my room. The problem? There are times I think she's not in the apartment BUT SHE IS (yeah, she has no inside voice, I remember that. I honestly don't know how this happens.) and then I just go back in my room.

So the reason I don't interact much with him is because I assume at all times that his girlfriend in there, which means that (A) he has someone else to talk to and (b)I'm in my room.

Anyways, as my third-party friend told me this she mentioned that she had asked her boyfriend (another mutual friend) to be the mediator between me and my roommate so that we can clear the air. He hasn't done that. I think he's a good mediator, and I understand why he might be necessary as both me and my roommate are predisposed to getting good and pissed. But since he hasn't done that yet, my main question is whether or not I should just talk with my roommate one-on-one.

Suggestions?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Talk to him.

All of your problems seem to relate to a third party: either your female friend telling you what your roommate really thinks of you (which is incredibly dicey by itself), or your roommate's girlfriend. You're not going to get anywhere by continuing to triangulate your living arrangements. Talk to him, one-on-one, and get everything out in the open first.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Get to know his girlfriend. You're living with the guy, and she's practically moved in, so just get to know her at least a bit so the awkwardness will go down a few notches.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
@JamStunna: You know, I did think of that. I just don't want my attempts at reconciliation to blow up in my face, but maybe I should put more trust in my ability to not be a jerk.

@SkylerOcon: That's a fantastic idea. I just have the small problem of not liking her, which comes from not knowing her so only seeing her as some kind of intrusion on my home life. It's a stupid cycle. Hopefully after I clear some things with my roommate I'll get on that.

Thanks for the input.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
get your own girlfriend who is even more annoying.
This actually crossed my mind. The main problem is finding a girlfriend who is annoying to my roommate but not annoying to ME. It's been a difficult screening process, but hopefully something good will come out of it.

Seriously though, I BELIEVE she's not that annoying and only seems that way because I don't know her, but that doesn't stop me from THINKING that she's annoying.

arch knight

Smash Lord
talk to your roommate and lay down the law show who wears the pants in the house/apartment...

and if all else fails make her pay rent to and get a dog shock collar to help her reach that inside voice :bigthumbu

The main complaints seem to be that I don't do enough housework, I don't interact much with him, and my room is always messy.
lulz sounds like a married couple X3

altairian

Smash Lord
First and foremost, talk to him about it. Nothing is solved by posting on forums ;)

Secondly, as someone who's lived with a friend and his girlfriend, get over that "third wheel" feeling. They spend plenty of time alone together. They probably WANT to hang out with you, the person making it awkward is you.

Top Bottom