• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Personnal "Unusable Character" Requirements

Wander

Smash Journeyman
I prefer characters with at least some bits and pieces of an ability to combo. Probably why I main Marth with MK as one of my secondaries. I'm also starting to get used to Sheik, but I'm far from maining her.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
For myself:

1.) A char that relies on a tether recovery. Whenever I'm Olimar, ZSS, or Ivysaur, and when I'm flung off the edge it is so common to see my opponent immediatly go for the edge (ZSS can be an exception).

2.) Chars that are too slow with airials. It never ceases to amaze me how Ganondorf's fair works. Sonic, his airial game is just not my type.

3.) Chars that heavily rely on weapons. I'm not the type that uses weapons much or spams with them, but with Samus' nerf, she seems to weak to go head on.

4.) Enough strength to widthstand and stay on stage, but doesn't have enough strength to send your opponent flying. Lucario I just find terrible in random matches and even friendlies. I can send my opponent off with the amount of damage I typically have. Am I missing something, or did Mario get a lot weaker attack-wise?

For myself, I never liked playing as Jigglypuff. She relied too much on airials, which is fine, but just couldn't make it up with a terrible ground game.

Steelia

Smash Champion
1.) I'm not fond of characters that have "weaknesses" to other characters (such as Dedede not being able to perform very well against a swift Fox). [Yet, I cannot stop playing as Dedede!!]

2.) Extremely slow moves [Dedede's hammer], with just about the same amount of time to recover from using them.

3.) More "complex" characters (Ice Climbers, Olimar & Pikmin)... I just prefer working straightforward, and not having half my move pool weakened or depleted because I don't have a partner. [Only exception is Pokemon Trainer... and perhaps Lucario.]

4.) Having little to no knockback moves, and having to spam one or two moves that DO have KO potential (Zero Suit Samus, Sonic).

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
I hate pikmin and olimar. they are just so small I cant see them!
The only slow character I use is ganondorf. Just learn how to powershield and shieldgrab often.
I use captain falcon so I can pull off "combos" Its usually just a a grab to a nair, to 2 uairs. Falco's new play style is awesome. But i tend to play him like in melee. Im not picky, but I HATE suicide dairs like wth is the point?

PCHU

Smash Lord
I just hate ROB.
Little freak who just popped up out of nowhere.
Wario is disturbing, even for me.
I mean, he's just a fat, oddly fast sicko.
Every time I see one, I just have to kill them first.
And, then we have Game and watch.
His dash attack is too slow for me.
Plus, he beeps at everyone.
I don't hate him, but don't like him, either.
Ness is ok in Melee, but here in Brawl, he's just different.
I like Lucas best, Ike Turner second (LAWL), and Falco third.
I don't use Wolf as much, I rarely use Fox, but Lucario is nice.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I don't like characters who can put on a lot of damage but can't do much till their opponent is pretty high. Not that they're bad characters I just don't like them as much. Sonic, Meta Knight that kind of thing. Not a whole lot of good KO moves.

Glenugie

Smash Rookie
I won't use it if it takes days of practise to be able to get good with it, at first anyway.

I start using all characters, picking the simple ones, then gradually move into more complex characters. I point blank refuse to use characters that have no power at all. Or have a recovery that doesn't carry me high enough

Bud

Smash Journeyman
I main random, though I hate Ice Climbers ( I dont know why, I just would rather have one of them) and Olimar (He is way too easy to win with). I get mad when I get Snake, though I dont mind, he is just too strong.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I hate anything thats some Mutated HedgeHog. and has a terrible voice.

I also hate Pit. hes soo **** Annoying.

And Also hate G&W. But R.O.B's ok though. at least he was real and has 3D.

Tenki

Smash Hero
I don't like using characters with projectiles, especially item-based projectiles.
Tried Link and ROB for a while, but really, I like melee-based characters much better.

I like slow, powerful characters, and I mained Ike/Ganondorf for a while. I normally don't like fast combo characters, but Sonic is an exception for me, probably since I'm used to his 'playstyle'... if that makes any sense lol

but put me with MK, ZSS, Pikachu or Kirby... not so good X.x

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
I hate anyone with a fall speed and run speed that is too high. Starfox characters, Sonic, Captain Falcon come to mind.

Also, anyone who has a terrible f-air is out...

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
I cannot play characters with a dash attack that I do not want to use, DDD, or a fair with too much landing lag, falco

Solid Samus

Smash Cadet
To everyone saying Snake is overused...what?? I've never met another Snake mainer face to face (at a tournament I was the only Snake as well) and all of my friends and brawl players I meet hate playing as him as they claim he is " too weird and awkward."

Are Snake's really common online or something? I wouldn't know because I hate being forced into 4 player matches, hate items, hate time games, and hate the ridiculously bad lag.

Edit: Honestly the only characters I've observed to be overused have been MK and maybe Pit. But they usually suck at them so I don't mind. Haven't seen as many space animals as I anticipated.

iron blade

Smash Ace
I won't play a character if:

1. They have a horrible recovery that I can't work around.

2. I just don't like them (Olimar, Toon Link, Sonic, that means you).

3. They are very overused (Spacies, that means you).

4. They have horrible aerial game that I can't work around.

Roy-G-Biv

Smash Journeyman
::Consitered Unusable::

1. DK charaters.
2. Charaters from games I never even heard of until Brawl was released (IC and Pit are exceptions)
3. Anyone who looks really ********
4. Anything that's not cool looking
5. Charaters too weak
6. Charaters too slow
7. Charaters that just use their fists.

(If it has just ONE of these traits, than it's unusable)
::Consitered, usable::

*1. Something well known (Marth)
2. Something that looks like "I'm going to KILL YOU!" (Ike comes to mind)
3. Something that looks cute (Ice Climbers are here) (No, I'm not a girl)
*4. Something that's balanced speedwise and powerwise (TL)
*5. Something that has projectiles without the use of items (Link)

(Must have all of these , Ones marked with "*" is not a nessesity, but recommended to have)

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
::Consitered Unusable::

1. DK charaters.
2. Charaters from games I never even heard of until Brawl was released (IC and Pit are exceptions)
3. Anyone who looks really ********
4. Anything that's not cool looking
5. Charaters too weak
6. Charaters too slow
7. Charaters that just use their fists.

(If it has just ONE of these traits, than it's unusable)
::Consitered, usable::

*1. Something well known (Marth)
2. Something that looks like "I'm going to KILL YOU!" (Ike comes to mind)
3. Something that looks cute (Ice Climbers are here) (No, I'm not a girl)
*4. Something that's balanced speedwise and powerwise (TL)
*5. Something that has projectiles without the use of items (Link)

(Must have all of these , Ones marked with "*" is not a nessesity, but recommended to have)
Ike looks like he is going to kill you??? Are you talking about a different Ike?? I mean the guy fights for his friends.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
First off whats with all the DK hate.

But otherwise someone is useless to me if,
Their dash attack sucks, DDD
Short recovery, link, falco
Have multihit smashes, Links Usmash, Diddys Fsmash, etc.
Have a Dair that doesn't spike, Pikachu, DDD.
Mario characters, smash is a game for other franchises to shine. i.e. Fire Emblem, Kirby, Zelda, Mother

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
To everyone saying Snake is overused...what?? I've never met another Snake mainer face to face (at a tournament I was the only Snake as well) and all of my friends and brawl players I meet hate playing as him as they claim he is " too weird and awkward."

Are Snake's really common online or something? I wouldn't know because I hate being forced into 4 player matches, hate items, hate time games, and hate the ridiculously bad lag.

Edit: Honestly the only characters I've observed to be overused have been MK and maybe Pit. But they usually suck at them so I don't mind. Haven't seen as many space animals as I anticipated.
Well considering he is the new (presumed) number one spot on the tier list, if you haven't seen many, you will real soon.

(This isn't direct at the person I am quoting)
For me, I don't really like playing characters that rely on brute strength. I like characters that are quick and often more technical. Also, I don't like uninspired characters but since all the Smash characters are from other games the only character I have much of a problem with in this department in Game and Watch.

Kirye

Smash Ace
It's not really what I don't like, it's more of what I do. And i'm very picky.

My character has to be a skinny, womanly man that smells nice. He can't be very big, he has to get alot of **** for sounding like he was voiced by a woman, or actually be voiced by a woman. Oh, and he has to be taller than Metaknight.. I like my tall men. =(

Wander

Smash Journeyman
Also, I really prefer for my character to have a superior aerial game. I move around often during a match, including lots of specially timed jumps. Marth, MK, and Luigi (my three mains) all have excellent air options.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Top-tier=bleh. especially if they don't feel right for me or I on't know their game. I like bad@ss characters. I shun others. example=G&W has no but, and therefore isn't. wario on the other hand...

Eternal Smasher

Smash Ace
I can't play as Yoshi or Peach. I just can't. It doesn't work.

I can deal with everyone else, I just gotta get in a certain mood. If I'm in a diesel mood, I'll pick Ike or DDD. If I'm in an ******* mood, I'll pick G&W or Pikachu. If I'm in an eye lasers mood, I'll pick R.O.B. or the other guy. They're all fine and fun in their own way.

But I fail with Yoshi and Peach.

???????

Smash Journeyman
It's not really what I don't like, it's more of what I do. And i'm very picky.

My character has to be a skinny, womanly man that smells nice. He can't be very big, he has to get alot of **** for sounding like he was voiced by a woman, or actually be voiced by a woman. Oh, and he has to be taller than Metaknight.. I like my tall men. =(
Do you mean Pit or Marth?

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I NEED a versatile character with a entirely useful moveset.

I NEED a characters who would rather move/approach/retreat while in the air.

I NEED a character who can aggressively edgegaurd.

I NEED a character who's recovery isn't bad.

I NEED a character who can seemlessly go from defense to offense and back.

Only one characer fits that bill in Brawl; Marth.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I like any combo that I can combo with very easily. I'm surprised I didn't main Sheik in Melee.

Aran

Smash Apprentice
I generally like using characters that can kill in flashy ways. I get ten times more joy from my kills when they LOOK awesome. Characters such as samus with her dair or well aimed charged shot, zss with her whip and downb kick, mario with his fludd and cape, bowser his uair and fsmash, zelda with her fair and bair, and sonic with his absurd amounts of gimps.

I absolutely cannot use people who sound really annoying. That means characters like Diddy, Pit, Olimar, and Peach. I just can't take it. I don't mind when other people use them, but when I hear a character going "saweet!" or making really high pitched monkey noises in conjunction with my button pressing, I just feel sick to my stomach.

Top Bottom