• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phantom Hits 2 CONFIRMED December 5th (First post update)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustediron

Smash Lord
NOOOO....

8 pools of 4 people sounds bad to me lol.

Basically it is EXTREMELY LIKELY for the top seed and the high seed to go through in each pools since only two can go through and two top people must go in one pool.

Maybe we should do less seeds cos I see this being a stupid problem.....ORRRR maybe we can just do larger pools some way lol....
3 people go through, for the lulz. And give top player of each pool a buoy?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
aaron what time do you want to meet.
Victoria station......9:50PM!!!!!!!!!!!

9:50PM!!!!!!!!!!!

VICTORIA STATION!
VICTORIA STATION!
VICTORIA STATION!
VICTORIA STATION!
VICTORIA STATION!
VICTORIA STATION!
VICTORIA STATION!
VICTORIA STATION!
VICTORIA STATION!
VICTORIA STATION!
VICTORIA STATION!
VICTORIA STATION!

Unreal91

Smash Journeyman
Does everyone who is going on the 10.30 coach know the way around Victoria station?

If so, we should all meet at the downstairs macdonalds or burger king and go to the coach station from there.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
If J3ly or Deathgazer deserve a seed then I honestly think I do to. I'll prove myself either way so all is good. Don't worry Willz I'll do it for you babe.

The Filth

Smash Lord
If J3ly or Deathgazer deserve a seed then I honestly think I do to. I'll prove myself either way so all is good. Don't worry Willz I'll do it for you babe.
dat cokinsss

Hahah georgie boy, 100 ound money match, do it. If you refuse, you are not a man.

But of course i know y'all wont tske it, you'v seen the sheik. Best in uk rite der =]

Tamoo

Smash Master
Lol. Are you referring to your delusional over-confidence? Your 'stepping up' consists of relying on lucky rest combos and people not knowing the match-up well enough to consistently beat you.

K-man and chrisboi *should* beat you 80% of the time.

And that **** doesn't fly with me.

I agree with Tamao, for once. Put us in the same pool, since I can do the brackets a favour and **** him out of pools.

If I'm actually high seed then awesome, btw.
Well then why don't they? Maybe ur delusional in this situation. Theyve been in the community long enough to not have matchup johns, which they don't so fair play to them.

And yeah, drop dave's seeding so we can be in pools. He **** well doesn't deserve it if j3ly and deathgazer are getting seeded.

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
omg chill out guys, even if dave wasnt seeded you wouldnt be put in the same pool as your in the same crew, so kiss and make up because we want you guys to be on top form when we **** you in crew battles again :)

and tamoo, of course you can come back to mine, its only 5 mins from the venue as well so lucky us.

IN other news, im not sure what the tourney structure is gonna be, obviously there needs to be a power of 2 people in the bracket, so either its 16, or maybe 32 and lots of people get byes. It would be nice to have pools of more than 4 just so people play more than 3 matches.

Alpha Dash

Smash Ace
Just find out Ben's seeding because I am cool and find out these kinda stuff.

Top Seeds
Professor Pro
Charles
VA
Frost
Chrisboi
Edwin
Jo3
Bullet Bill loooooooooooooooool

If you say that in a sentence it sounds funny......Bullet Bill is a top seed loool.
Say it out loud people

High Seeds
Tamoo
LJ
Kman
Clockmire
Gantz
Dacacia
Synapse
JJlinyard

But JJlinyard isn't coming so he is going to have to adjust the list lol.

The list looks alright overall except for that ridiculous person who is top seed.
NO WAY this is the worst list ive seen, I gurantee a win against some of those seeds not naming any names. LOOOL Bullet bill just hope you dont get me in your first round!

In simple terms I am better then you by a extreme visible amount and you're playing me with a **** character loool.
But you are the type who latches onto the chance (lol) of things which will never happen.

Like tryna find a member of OOC who isn't amazing....IT'S NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

Yeah.....of course he can.
OOC BABY

VA

Smash Hero
This is why we need SOME kind of a UK ranking. it's a national tournament and we need to know where people stand otherwise the tournament organiser can make themselves a top seed without it really being justified over others. In this case I have to say that it's actually relatively close between who would be the final top seed and...I don't care.

Tamoo

Smash Master
omg chill out guys, even if dave wasnt seeded you wouldnt be put in the same pool as your in the same crew, so kiss and make up because we want you guys to be on top form when we **** you in crew battles again :)

and tamoo, of course you can come back to mine, its only 5 mins from the venue as well so lucky us.
Haha dont worry bout it, just a bit of banter, I don't mean any of what I said, presuming dave didn't either (cos he's wrong ;) )

And cool, 5mins is win

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
you guys can argue about the seeds all you want cos they aren't gonna be changed

I agree with Calum- Banter is like joking about whereas this is just pure utter crap and egos.

VA

Smash Hero
well that's a little bit gay, at least put it up for discussion. at my tournament every player will be seeded individually and I'll be #1, swizzy #2, beast #3, smashysmashysmashy #4 and so on. and you guys are free to argue about it all you want but I won't change it.

Pickled_No0b

Smash Journeyman
thing is, the tournament is 2 days away, we can discus it all we like but we are never gonna make everyone happy between now and then.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I think that the balance needs to be found that makes the most people happy, there is no way of pleasing everybody

If the current seeding makes the most happy, and the most sense, then so be it

Clockmire

Smash Journeyman
TBH, high seeds are always going to be a bit debatable. There isn't too much skill level between them all and every unseeded player is looking to beat a high seed as one of their aims.

Oh and Tamao, I'm sorry I upset you.

:]

Tamoo

Smash Master
The only thing that upsets me is you being confident if you come up against me.

Apology accepted, I know you didn't mean it

:]

Potential pool of death?
Fuzzyness
Tamoo
J3ly
Monty

L-J

Smash Ace
NOOOO....

8 pools of 4 people sounds bad to me lol.

Basically it is EXTREMELY LIKELY for the top seed and the high seed to go through in each pools since only two can go through and two top people must go in one pool.

Maybe we should do less seeds cos I see this being a stupid problem.....ORRRR maybe we can just do larger pools some way lol....
I completely agree, I'd far prefer to see three people from each pool go through, but the problem is that if Ben is definately not changing the seeds at all from that current list there are 8 top seeds and 8 high seeds, and as I'm guessing roughly 32 people will turn up for the tourney I can't see any other way of doing it other than 8 pools of 4... :/

And yeah Tamoo I can deffo see at least one pool of death being drawn under current circumstances - I'm just hoping I'm not in it lol.

Clockmire

Smash Journeyman
Lol. I like it, alpha dash.

Tamao, why would that, out of all things, upset you?
Oh wait it's just a joke to imply I'm **** without actually making much sense.
Ok.

COEY

Smash Lord
ok just read the last few pages if you average out the number of national/international tourneys attended by all the posters from say the last 3 pages you get a number of something like 1 or 2 lol.

for instance bens seeds are fine, i say this because especially the top seeds are based off previous national tourney placings, which is THE ONLY FAIR WAY of seeding. the whole point of a national tourney is to sort out rankings so you have seeds correct for the next tourney that is run. basically a continuous cycle that will mean the community can keep improving and improving.

high seeds were always going to be a problem with the recent surge in numbers of players especially in london. ben can only fairly base these off his own experiences and what he is told from other players.

making a seed list off who you personally think is good is always going to have some bias, will neglect the fact that certain players may have improved significantly or a new player could show up and surprise everyone.

but thats the point of seeds, if youve not been to an event this size before then why should you be seeded surely the point is to prove that your deserve that spot in the rankings.

this basically follows onto having 8 pools of 4 is also not a problem, the fact that the top and high seed are most likely to get into brackets is the expected outcome from seeding, i mean what else would you think would happen. the point of seeds is to seperate the top theoretical top 16 in a way that gives them all a good chance to qualify.

sure it sucks not being seeded as it really makes life harder, but its pretty arrogant to think you can waltz to your first tourney and just expect to take top 4. i had to wait till my 5th national event to even pass pools, and my 6th to finally get a spot in the seeds.

if you dont agree with any of this the chances are you are most likely wrong.

Tamoo

Smash Master
i say this because especially the top seeds are based off previous national tourney placings, which is THE ONLY FAIR WAY of seeding
I pretty much agree with most apart from this bit. In this tournament's case, I can think of many people who haven't placed in a national for a veeeery long time, over a year. Why are we still holding onto their memories rather than accepting those that have come recently and are placing very well in their respective regions.
Not to say that I think that ppl like frostbyte and edwin shouldn't be top seed, but i don't think that the reasoning for the seeding, ie. past national tournament results, has reflected truly the actual seeding. Going by recent national tournaments, why haven't ppl like monty been ranked high considering he placed top 5 in the previous ph.

Edit: coey, sorry im not disagreeing with you, didn't mean that, Im just saying that there looks to be a contradiction between how ppl should be seeded and how it has been seeded. If people aren't attending national tournaments, and haven't done so in, its unfair to hold them as a seed all this time, because they are essentially forfeighting, putting them in last place. Thus other factors like the general opinion should be considered

COEY

Smash Lord
I pretty much agree with most apart from this bit. In this tournament's case, I can think of many people who haven't placed in a national for a veeeery long time, over a year. Why are we still holding onto their memories rather than accepting those that have come recently and are placing very well in their respective regions.
Not to say that I think that ppl like frostbyte and edwin shouldn't be top seed, but i don't think that the reasoning for the seeding, ie. past national tournament results, has reflected truly the actual seeding. Going by recent national tournaments, why haven't ppl like monty been ranked high considering he placed top 5 in the previous ph.

Edit: coey, sorry im not disagreeing with you, didn't mean that, Im just saying that there looks to be a contradiction between how ppl should be seeded and how it has been seeded. If people aren't attending national tournaments, and haven't done so in, its unfair to hold them as a seed all this time, because they are essentially forfeighting, putting them in last place. Thus other factors like the general opinion should be considered

ok well for starters a year isnt a huge time frame especially as since the last ph we've
only had shs1. so its not as if theres been a great deal of nationals to attend. also edwin and frostbyte have been and placed very high at 2 or 3 nationals each. frosty even won AR2.

i understand what your saying tho it does get very messy. but its because you need to look at it more like a ladder system. you get your name above someone who has previously achieved a good placing simply by beating them.

edit: also ph1 had a very poor turn out (not bens fault) in terms of high level players of the time attending, its basically back to the ladder idea, you dont get seeded above someone who youve never beaten and especially if you havent beaten an opponent capable of taking down that same player.

Tamoo

Smash Master
It has been at least 5 nationals im sure since either of those two have placed in a national tournament.
If Ben is only taking into account national prowess, it was their decision not to attend tournaments and others who did make the effort shouldn't have to wait until these people wake up from their slumber and finally decide to attend one in order to climb the ladder. I don't think seeding should look any further than the last 5 tournaments, because it will get horribly innaccurate.
I'mm all for calculating seeds mathematically, taking the last few tournament placings at a national level in order to gauge a ranking that would be fair on all parties.

With this seeding however, I still can't gauge how it's been worked out. It cant be just from previous national results because some top seeds have none. It can't be general opinion because, well, the posts from prof say it all. I'm inclined to think that it's just been done on what happened the last time Ben played each player, which is why he still some people in high regard and some not so high.

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
It has been at least 5 nationals im sure since either of those two have placed in a national tournament.
If Ben is only taking into account national prowess, it was their decision not to attend tournaments and others who did make the effort shouldn't have to wait until these people wake up from their slumber and finally decide to attend one in order to climb the ladder. I don't think seeding should look any further than the last 5 tournaments, because it will get horribly innaccurate.
I'mm all for calculating seeds mathematically, taking the last few tournament placings at a national level in order to gauge a ranking that would be fair on all parties.

With this seeding however, I still can't gauge how it's been worked out. It cant be just from previous national results because some top seeds have none. It can't be general opinion because, well, the posts from prof say it all. I'm inclined to think that it's just been done on what happened the last time Ben played each player, which is why he still some people in high regard and some not so high.
if you're listening to what prof said then your a fool. I assure you I've done these seeds as fairly as possible. Its just been disappointing how few would be seeded players are not attending.
Seriously though tamoo I'm actually disappointed that you think I've done the seeds unfairly because this couldn't be further from the truth

This is the last time I'm talking about seeds

COEY

Smash Lord
last 5 nationals were in order from most recent

shs1
ph1
ggt2
ggt
alt?
chj (i know thats 6 but it was very close to alt considering how the rest of them are quite far apart)

Professor Pro - obvious seed
Charles - obvious seed
VA - obvious seed
Frost - i know he attended either chj or atl if not both and finished very highly placed
Chrisboi - was at one of the ggts? if not was definitely at one of those liverpool events, finished both aiko and amcd. proper finished as welll.
Edwin - see frostbyte
Jo3 - well finished 7th at shs1 for a start but also placed at all the tourneys listed
Bullet Bill - placed at all the events hes attended on that list, except shs1 which only ranked the top 8 placings.

plus the fact each of the players on that list has at least 2 years of competitive smash experience, competing for national pride is much more pressure than youd think dont under estimate the value of that experience, imo of all the high seeds the only theorectical swap for ben would be for kman who was repping it with me, joe, charles, plus quite a few others back in summer of 2007 in sweden, ROS4 seems so long ago now :/

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Well then why don't they? Maybe ur delusional in this situation. Theyve been in the community long enough to not have matchup johns, which they don't so fair play to them.
No matter how long you've been in the community you can still have an opportunity to say you aren't good at a certain matchups if you haven't played it frequently
It counts how much you have played a matchup and taken in from a matchup, not how long you have been in the community.

WHY CAN'T THEY BE IN THE SAME POOL??????

I see hints of pools being fixed......if it happens they end up in the same pool then IT HAPPENS.
I see no reasons to switch round the pools and I hate the thought of things being fixed or switched around in tournaments/events like they have been previously so I hope you don't assist in this action.

So since you are helping out in this poorly seeded tournament then what are the pools going to be?

NO WAY this is the worst list ive seen, I gurantee a win against some of those seeds not naming any names. LOOOL Bullet bill just hope you dont get me in your first round!
The funny thing is that if you play him I ACTUALLY KNOW you're going to win lol.
I know people might think I am sticking up for you but it's true.

you guys can argue about the seeds all you want cos they aren't gonna be changed
Of course they aren't cos your emotions got the best of you.
We understand Ben lol.

Dude I assume you have Ninos ticket as well?
Yep lol........EVERYONES!!!

ok just read the last few pages if you average out the number of national/international tourneys attended by all the posters from say the last 3 pages you get a number of something like 1 or 2 lol.

for instance bens seeds are fine, i say this because especially the top seeds are based off previous national tourney placings, which is THE ONLY FAIR WAY of seeding. the whole point of a national tourney is to sort out rankings so you have seeds correct for the next tourney that is run. basically a continuous cycle that will mean the community can keep improving and improving.

high seeds were always going to be a problem with the recent surge in numbers of players especially in london. ben can only fairly base these off his own experiences and what he is told from other players.

making a seed list off who you personally think is good is always going to have some bias, will neglect the fact that certain players may have improved significantly or a new player could show up and surprise everyone.

but thats the point of seeds, if youve not been to an event this size before then why should you be seeded surely the point is to prove that your deserve that spot in the rankings.

this basically follows onto having 8 pools of 4 is also not a problem, the fact that the top and high seed are most likely to get into brackets is the expected outcome from seeding, i mean what else would you think would happen. the point of seeds is to seperate the top theoretical top 16 in a way that gives them all a good chance to qualify.

sure it sucks not being seeded as it really makes life harder, but its pretty arrogant to think you can waltz to your first tourney and just expect to take top 4. i had to wait till my 5th national event to even pass pools, and my 6th to finally get a spot in the seeds.

if you dont agree with any of this the chances are you are most likely wrong.
To sum up Bens decisions on how he was seeding it was made like this.

• National tournaments
  • Previous ranking battles/events
  • Personal feelings of how much he likes the person

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
if you're listening to what prof said then your a fool. I assure you I've done these seeds as fairly as possible. Its just been disappointing how few would be seeded players are not attending.
Seriously though tamoo I'm actually disappointed that you think I've done the seeds unfairly because this couldn't be further from the truth

This is the last time I'm talking about seeds
BEN YOU'RE A FUKING LIAR LOOOOOL

You practically admitted that you wanted to do Drawn Doubles because you got pissed off at the fact that Me and Charles were teaming with each other and we are gonna **** your little socks off so you ATTMEPTED to stop us from teaming.

You don't like Tamoo so you're attempting to stop him from being TOP SEED and you really have convinced yourself that it's not that lol and you put.....YOURSELF LOOOOOL AS A TOP SEED!

When will you stop lying to yourself....and when will the emotional decisions stop......
Just like how you were jealous you weren't in SDB looool.

X1-12

Smash Champion
do you know how annoying it is searching through 5 pages of this crap just to see if anything of any relevance has been said?

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Prof who's best at Melee in the world? You know everything so I'm asking yeee.
Mango atm.
But i'm hoping that Armada and him will get in the finals again for another spectacular showdown lol.

Pound 4 ftw.

i got your charger and fuzzys memory stick
Yayyy.
I can give my brother back his charger even though he doesn't have the phone for the charger but still doesn't like me using it :mad: lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom