• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Physical or Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
This is a tough one for me... I don't wanna lose it, but I also want to be able to transfer it from one system to another...
Ehhh, digital. Sure boxes and manuals are nice, but I want to download it at midnight and get no sleep as I play the game! And I don't really lend the game to others that often, not cause I hate sharing, more cause anyone else who plays it around here just has it. And no way do I wanna lose it! And I guess when a new system comes out I guess I can just system transfer or somethin. And I don't have a huge history of broken systems! My DS Lite is still great! Okay, awesome, I'm feeling more confident in my decision already!

EDIT: Oh thats right! You can digitally get games on the consoles too! Totally forgot. I was just talking about the 3DS. I'll definitely get physical for the Wii U version! Ohhh this clears everything up, I was really wondering what some of ya were talking about. But yeah, I don't wanna do a system transfer from Wii U to ...I dunno, Wii U 2, and there aren't many other Wii U games we care about at the moment so Smash'll be the only thing in there probably and...maybe I'll change my mind, cause hell I'm still upset I lost melee, but just feels like tradition.

Last edited:

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
This is a easy choice for me. Digital.

The country where I live have enormous taxes for imported products, so getting a physical copy at a far price is out of hand.
However at Eshop I can buy the game in dollars without taxes so it ends up being cheapier better.
But this is only for the 3DS, since digital games on it are a plus, you can take them anywhere, its very practical.

However I think the WiiU version deserves a physical copy, so I will end up paying more of it, but it's worth.

Don't know how I will get the amiibos at a fair price tough...

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
Even though I'd risk scratching/losing the games, I think I'm gonna go physical for both versions. My systems' memories are pretty limited, and with my internet it'd probably be just as quick to get it from the store.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Digital. If I'm getting it (It's still an if at this point), then it's going to be a permanent installation.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Digital version of SSBB will be a few gigs at worst. My SD card can't hold that and I'm sure nobody wants to spend 20 bucks on a 16GB SD card.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Digital version of SSBB will be a few gigs at worst. My SD card can't hold that and I'm sure nobody wants to spend 20 bucks on a 16GB SD card.
I spent 20 bucks on a 32GB and I haven't regretted it.
I carry my entire music collection on my 3DS and I still have 18GB left for games. AFTER installing Pokémon Y, AC:NL, Tomodachi Life, Street Fighter IV, and a massive slew of eShop games.

What can I say , I hate switching game cartridges when I get bored.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I spent 20 bucks on a 32GB and I haven't regretted it.
I carry my entire music collection on my 3DS and I still have 18GB left for games. AFTER installing Pokémon Y, AC:NL, Tomodachi Life, Street Fighter IV, and a massive slew of eShop games.

What can I say , I hate switching game cartridges when I get bored.
Well. To each his own.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
i have already pre-ordere both in physical. i got the bundle for the wiiu. my total was $165.34, as i added shipping to my house (one day shipping on the wiiu one, cheapest on 3ds).

Captain Zack

Banned via Administration
NNID
Chibi_Zack
Physical, I love games I can touch, feel, and almost feel like I'm starting the game into the system.

D

Deleted member

Both versions will be physical for me. I mean, it could take up a lot of space if it's digital, but who knows?

Agualitos

Smash Apprentice
I am definitely getting the physical copy! There is just something about getting a physical copy that brings a joy to my heart! Being able to hold this game, that I will love so much, will be a proud/exciting moment!:joyful:

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
i always like buying games phyiscal i just like looking at the case and getting that new case smell

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Physical is a must for me. There is just somehing about holding the game and opening the packaging that feels right. Plus, I will possibly be playing on multiple systems throughout the 3DS lifecycle and cartridges are easier to switch.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Physical. I want my Nintendo points, and by golly do I want the beautiful box art.

I'm a little disappointed Nintendo don't do manuals these days with all the chracter bios in them. I got Mario Kart 8 recently, and was pretty disappointed; they were always my favourite bit.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
Psychical . Just in case I somehow lose my 3ds I can still play smash bros and not have to play another $35 for another copy.

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
Definitely getting physical, my internet connection can be unstable so it's just safe to go with the physical cartridge.

Last edited:

Gusto

Smash Cadet
Physical copy. Two $20 E-Shop cards and I can get Smash for 3DS, right?
Wrong. The tax in my state makes it go a little above 40 dollars so I'd have to pay 60 dollars to get Super Smash Bros for 3DS... so I think I'll just preorder the game and get it for a midnight release.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Physical. I live for the hype of midnight releases at the store and rejoicing once I have a copy of the game in my hands. It's not even all about the midnight releases really. I've just always preferred the physical product..

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
Physical copy. Two $20 E-Shop cards and I can get Smash for 3DS, right?
Wrong. The tax in my state makes it go a little above 40 dollars so I'd have to pay 60 dollars to get Super Smash Bros for 3DS... so I think I'll just preorder the game and get it for a midnight release.
When eshop says you don't have enough money to buy a game you just go to were it says needed funds in the eshop and you can add the exact amount you need for a game. That what I did and it worked. Hope this is helpful.

Gusto

Smash Cadet
When eshop says you don't have enough money to buy a game you just go to were it says needed funds in the eshop and you can add the exact amount you need for a game. That what I did and it worked. Hope this is helpful.
I still prefer physical XD

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Digital for the 3DS (Probably) and Physical for the Wii U.

Ividboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ividboy
3DS FC
4098-4898-5270
I'm getting physical for both, because that new game smell, and the fact that if my 3ds breaks, I will have the same cartridge still with my save data. Plus downloading the game is just not the same as being driven to Gamestop shaking in your seat with anticipation, holding the game case for the first time in your hands when you buy it, and then (this part only applies to the Wii U) tearing the plastic covering the case, opening it, seeing that sexy game disc, and eagerly reading the manual on your ride home for entertainment. Another reason is that I want to be able to bring it to a friend's house to play it if they have the massive sadness that is not having this game. And unless you are on the ball for the timing of the download at midnight, you all might have to wait a day or two because of the eshop inevitably crashing super hard. Remember what happened with pokemon bank? That wasn't even the actual game. Also I got a preorder soooo...

Raijinken

Smash Master
Physical, but only because I want it at release and am fully expecting the eShop to die of overload.

Then again, it may turn out like FE Awakening did, and eShop might be the only way to find it due to demand.

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
If I have a choice with any game, I will always choose a physical copy. I am a collector.

Yakko93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ohmy1985
Physical. Digital is easier and all, but I like to have a case to display for the game, and I fear the eshop might crash.

Last edited:

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
My 3ds was purchased and has sat on my desk since. I'm only going to play sm4sh3d on it, Nothing else. Physical copy seems to fit the purpose of filling the empty cartridge slot that always drove me insane whilst playing gba games on a dslite.

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
My 3ds was purchased and has sat on my desk since. I'm only going to play sm4sh3d on it, Nothing else. Physical copy seems to fit the purpose of filling the empty cartridge slot that always drove me insane whilst playing gba games on a dslite.
Know exactly what you mean. I hate having a cartridge slot open because it's just collecting dust :( But that's why I bought mk7 physical :)

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
Physical, so that once the better Wii U version is released I can sell the 3DS copy.

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
Physical, as also I love digital I don't want all these games taking up my memory card plus the fact that I don't think games are linked to accounts still :l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom