• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pichu (Clone Engine candidate) Discussion Thread

Do you think Pichu should be one of the 5 remaining clone characters for P:M?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
I am starting a new thread from this one: http://smashboards.com/threads/clon...ew-chars-voting-results-updated-11-13.341479/ where the discussion was about the 5 available clone engine spots and what characters would we like to see and what characters would we not.

Pichu has had a very vocal response from both sides... to the point where discussion would often be sabotaged by Pichu arguments. So to give these people a place to argue the little baby Pokemon, here we go.

For reference, from the aforementioned topic...

128 people voted. Not all of them had an opinion on Pichu.
20 people voted for Pichu as one of their top 5 choices.
15 people supported Pichu, but not as one of their top 5.
34 people voted against the inclusion of Pichu.

That means 50.7% support Pichu. His overall score was better than Krystal, Waluigi, Toon Zelda, and the three Sonic characters.

Going a little deeper statistically, with 69 non-apethetic voters and 82448 total downloads, the 95% confidence interval is 11.79%. That means the support for Pichu in the total Project M population is anywhere as low as 38.9% and as high as 62.5% with 95% confidence.

Go ahead and discuss. Knock yourselves out.

Tofer Dallah

Smash Cadet
Why wouldn't Pichu be possible as an alt costume? If Doc can happen then he can too. The only thing "preventing" it is the PMBR implemented rule of no alternate characters as alternate costumes. But really, like I said before, Pichu IS Pikachu. He's baby Pikachu. So he could technically still be considered for an alt costume, even under that rule.

I'm not saying Pichu can't be Luigified either. I am just saying we already have a few instances of that, I don't think we need that sort of situation with so many people on the roster.

I'm not really sure Pichu has a "considerably large fan base" rather than a vocal minority. It's hard to prove one way or the other, I suppose, but I haven't really seen as much Pichu love (in regards to Smash) my whole life until this topic.

I don't mean to say or imply that people wouldn't like Pichu if he was buffed. I just think that with Pikachu already on the roster a buff Pichu is even more redundant than the current version of Pichu in Melee.

Yeah, all of this stuff is my opinion. Any post anyone makes on a forum is their opinion. I happen to think (and not wrongfully so, I believe) that most people would take a different character filling Pichu's spot in Melee if they had the option.
Pichu and Pikachu bones are too different I think ! I don't think it will be with 0 bug...

Pichu have few love, I admit but many other character too... I mean Pichu have been debate in all the 70 page of the other thread... That proove something. Many people still want him. ^^

Pichu can play very differently without make Pikachu useless. Okay they the same pokemon but... It smash, few logic are in this game. xD

And Pichu is probably not the character that many people will take out if they have the choice. They probably just use the chance that Pichu is still not made to talk about it, I guess...

I still say it: Pichu is the only character to have nothing in PM... Even on some move or alt costume (blue googles don't count.. ><)

Chzrm3

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3926-5442-3703
I love Pichu! Just because this'll be near the beginning of the thread, I'd like to post my main reasons for wanting him in:

1. The self-damaging mechanic was interesting, but was implemented in a way that just made him kind of bad. It'd be really cool to see what the PMBR could do with Pichu if they made his self-damaging mechanic also charge up his damage. (OrangeSodaGuy had some really good ideas about how this could work in a satisfying way). He could be a great "glass cannon" character, where he's really fragile but is also deceptively powerful. Picking Pichu would be a high-risk/high-reward playstyle, and those are always cool.

2. Pichu's "bad" factor is actually kind of an interesting angle in an environment like PM. Since the PMBR is striving for every character to be balanced and competitively viable, it'd be nice to have someone that still functions as an underdog. Pichu could fit that role really well. Again, it's not about him being bad or a terrible character - it's about him being a character that, when picked, makes everyone at the venue go "OHHHH NO WAY!!!" In the same way that it's awesome to see Vist or Abate destroying people as Luigi, or watching M2K go as far as he can with Mewtwo/Roy in pools, it'd be really cool in PM tournaments to see someone who's sticking to Pichu, even though he's really hard to use.

3. On a personal level, I've always just preferred playing him to Pikachu. Something about his super small hitbox makes him really enjoyable. When people say "just play Pikachu", it's kind of like telling a Falco main "just play Fox".

If you disagree with any of that, please yell at me! :pichumelee: Your anger will help fuel my love of Pichu even further.

Tofer Dallah

Smash Cadet
To all Pichu fan:

Do you think that our determination to argu and defend Pichu will make many positive reaction on the PMBR ? I mean... we debate that much on the other thread, it proove something about Pichu's fan base ! *-*

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
To all Pichu fan:

Do you think that our determination to argu and defend Pichu will make many positive reaction on the PMBR ? I mean... we debate that much on the other thread, it proove something about Pichu's fan base ! *-*

Probably. I mean the majority of Pichu supporters propose possible moveset and playstyle changes and express how the character means a great deal to them. These things are actually worth noting when trying to decide on Pichu.

To be frank, most of the Pichu naysayers just bring up how boring/redundant they think the character is, and that their ideas are "cooler". That's not even close to productive discussion.

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Added a poll for ****s and giggles. It will have no effect on my actual survey. But it's just something pretty to look at.

Fortress

Smash Master
Why do we have to have two forty-page threads about Pichu? I mean, we have the original Clone Engine Pichu thread.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Pichu is actually a better choice than any other of the characters of that poll.

I'm 100% serious.

EDIT: Forgot about the Fire Emblem characters.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I really don't think this should it's own thread. I also think this will probably backfire in due time. Oh well. I'm just going to quote my thoughts on Pichu and be done with it.

Gonna borrow you for a moment, SpiderMad.

As much as I'm sick of Pokemon: you can't leave out the very last remaining Melee character.
Why not? Not like anything of value is lost.

Besides, it'd end up being one of two things. It'll either end up still being just a less effective version of Pikachu that no one sane would use seriously, or it'll be Pikachu's Brawl "Toon Link" in the sense that it's like Pikachu, only smaller, possibly faster and better as a character to the point of rendering Pikachu's existence in the game seemingly pointless. Either way, hardly anyone seems to be using Pikachu in P:M in tournaments, streams or in general. Adding Pichu could only either add damage to that or simply join it as another character hardly anyone will play as once the hype of it dies down.

This is why I was thinking that just giving whatever little good traits it has to Pikachu would be more than enough, akin to how Mario and Tink were handled. (+N64 Link for Tink) Although, after what Strong Bad said, I'm starting to think even that wouldn't do much help either. I don't have anything against Pichu at all, but even with all the changes in the world, there's just not much I can see that it really brings other than "Add it back because Melee".

We'd be better off with a completely new character or no more at all and we keep what we have.

Well, that's just what I think, anyway. I've had people ramble on to me again and again as to why they want Pichu or think it's so important, but I just can't see it. *shrugs* Not like it's on the same level as Roy and Mewtwo or anything.
And that's that.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Sorry, but please put all discussion on possible new characters into your other thread.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom