• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Picking a PM character

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
Hello fellow peach players, i know this isn't exactly a peach related question but us peach mains are all friends here so i hope you guys/gals don't mind. Anyway im trying to learn one of the janky "PM" character (i define PM characters as any character who wasn't top 8 in melee). I obviously main peach but aside from her the only other characters i enjoy playing are marth sheik falco puff and falcon...the melee characters. So basically who is a fun PM character to play? I don't want to play someone whos campy and lame, I tried pit but he was too campy. I like wolf too but I dunno. So yeah some one please help revitalize my interest in this game :] <3

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
What are you looking for in terms of playstyle? Constant aggression/pressure? Zoning? Slower, more methodical play? Janky/not janky? High/low tech?

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Wolf's not a bad choice for that, so no surprise you like him. Lucas or maybe Ness would fit the bill too. Mewtwo potentially fits; he can be pretty fast/aggressive if you really get into all his teleport tech (telehover, autocanceling, etc). Maybe Ike or Toon Link.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Give Zelda a try. Maining her has made me very good at landing precise hits. My hit rate is usually above 70% while my opponent's is half that. lol

She is very bad off stage or when knocked into the air, so you need to be VERY good with movement and attack timing. She has nothing to spam safely so she still has little room for error. If you're accident prone you should stick to the faster chars who're hard to punish randomly like Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, etc.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Zelda's kinda slow/campy though.

lucas seems fun and ness is cool too, I feel like i should just play mewtwo cause im already pretty good at float canceling aerials from peach lol
Mewtwo's nuts. Not even talking tiers here, he's just crazy fun to play. His aerial and air-to-ground mobility is ridiculous. It's the one part of his kit I'm hoping they leave alone more than anything in 3.5, wooping and wavedashing all over the place is awesome. Hover out of tele is 2stronk though, enjoy it while it lasts.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Zelda's kinda slow/campy though.
She is medium speed. Also she is defensive. If you want campy, play side B, down B, and B spammy Samus or Link. C:

Have you seen Zelda on a small map? If you go "oh she needs space to camp so green hill or metal cavern will WRECK her camping trip" then prepare to cry as aerial after aerial and those jazz hands juggle you around the screen. Then after that you will be praying to get bigger stages so you can keep that crazy elven princess' lightning limbs and sparkly jazz hands away from you. Don't forget about her BAD TOUCH! BAD TOUCH! long reaching grabs and OoS options. She's scary when played aggressively. But again there's little room for error due to her speed.

Of course playing against faster characters means you have to play campy time and mind games, but Peach needs to do the same against faster chars.

Last edited:

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
Excuse me.

Have you tried simply growing taller and more athletic? And dropping the conservatism of dress; go with form fitting.

You want fast; Zelda (although a bamcis witch, lilpudding is 100% this be mah secondary) is slower than I think you are looking for.

(Z)Samus, however. (Z)Samus my man. Dsmash is still epic, you use this to prepare the enemy for death.

And the execution! You must be swift, you must learn the art of Isai!

Never mind the tether nerf. You still have Jump Around turnip.

Don't waste it like me.

ZSS is glory.

Source; watching Jwest live, experience*,
watching streams.

*the sweetness that is Peach's inverse- up smash is the new down smash, bair is the new fair, down smash is actually still useful (stun) down special is lol, up special is a spike that goes up and makes you look like a god when you kill with it, oh man so freaking fast, tilts with strength and speed, a forward rush smash that does similarly, a side special that sets up for an up smash YES

Why am I the first to think of this u fuulz?

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Have you seen Zelda on a small map?
Yep. Usually somewhere in the blast zone.

I should mention that I'm a Marth main. If anything, small maps make my already advantageous matchup even better. Down-b is the most threatening tool in her arsenal for me, provided they actually know how to play Sheik.

@ Alakaslam Alakaslam , I didn't mention ZSS because I see her as being more hit and run than aggro/rushdown. Fits the bill aside from that though.

Last edited:

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
Hello fellow peach players, i know this isn't exactly a peach related question but us peach mains are all friends here so i hope you guys/gals don't mind. Anyway im trying to learn one of the janky "PM" character (i define PM characters as any character who wasn't top 8 in melee). I obviously main peach but aside from her the only other characters i enjoy playing are marth sheik falco puff and falcon...the melee characters. So basically who is a fun PM character to play? I don't want to play someone whos campy and lame, I tried pit but he was too campy. I like wolf too but I dunno. So yeah some one please help revitalize my interest in this game :] <3
Yep. Usually somewhere in the blast zone.

I should mention that I'm a Marth main. If anything, small maps make my already advantageous matchup even better. Down-b is the most threatening tool in her arsenal for me, provided they actually know how to play Sheik.

@ Alakaslam Alakaslam , I didn't mention ZSS because I see her as being more hit and run than aggro/rushdown. Fits the bill aside from that though.
But SSON

Show me the bold distinction in the below post in the first of these two quotes...

And I will show you editing a quote XD

Hit & run? Usually, yes. You are waiting for dat combo, HIIIIJOLE! Once you get it let fly with a whoop as you Isai dat phoo into the abyss!

Lol I am on phone and the bbcode made it all bold how do I change this? Do I have to be on pc?

And btw how did you tag me? This art is greatly to be desired

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
But SSON

Show me the bold distinction in the below post in the first of these two quotes...
You missed a quote.

ehhh high medium tech, high pressure. fast, moderately janky haha. Anyone fit that bill?
^That one. ZSS has limited options for pressuring. When I think pressure I think Wolf, Lucas, Mewtwo, Roy, etc.

And btw how did you tag me? This art is greatly to be desired
@ before username automatically converts to a tag in the rich text editor. BBCode format is @[ USER=user#]username[/USER ] without the spaces. You can see the member number on their profile page (it's in the url) or by quoting a post of theirs.

Last edited:

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
ehhh high medium tech, high pressure. fast, moderately janky haha. Anyone fit that bill?
I did, thou'rt more observant than I

Well

Feh maybe the first aggressive ZSS. Think without the box

Forgot wolf is not top tier Melee though he is Melee, and this Lucas- feh well done then, I give in and return foot to mouth.

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
ZSS isn't a good choice since she is fast but awkward. Her approaches are meh, try though she is kinda janky. Sheik is almost like her if you had to pick the second closest. Sheik has way better aerials and the needles are awesome. The only prob is she suuuuuucks at recovering. Perhaps the worst recovery of all if you disregard transforming.

Marth is another option because of his speedy attacks and range, which makes him VERY safe to play as against people with no/laggy/no stun projectiles/ranged attacks. That's also assuming you DI right and practice spacing. The tip of his hitboxes are the strongest so he just works so well if you get your spacing down. His recovery is slightly better than Sheik's and he falls at a nice rate but ascends quickly. Very fluid gameplay. All his features compliment each other in a ridiculously effective way.

Last edited:

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
ZSS isn't a good choice. Sheik is almost like her if you had to pick the second closest. Sheik has way better aerials and the needles are awesome. The only prob is she suuuuuucks at recovering. Perhaps the worst recovery of all if you disregard transforming.

Marth is another option because of his speedy attacks and range, which makes him VERY safe to play as against people with no/laggy/no stun projectiles/ranged attacks. That's also assuming you DI right and practice spacing. The tip of his hitboxes are the strongest so he just works so well if you get your spacing down. His recovery is slightly better than Sheik's and he falls at a nice rate but ascends quickly. Very fluid gameplay. All his features compliment each other in a ridiculously effective way.
Explain what I see in these streams?

Things can be done and discovered, although yes, a character considered low tier with only 2 kill moves due for nerfing doesn't look tantalizing.

But that isn't all she is.

Nay, far be it.

Of course as all y'all hopefully know by now, take everything I say with salt as I am one who likes THIS princess as best Disney princess

Last edited:

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
so many good responses :3. I tried ness and i like him, i dunno. Still not sold on anyone yet :/. Zss is really fun but yeah i like to be able to put more pressure on shields and she doesnt really do that. Shield pressure is my favorite thing ever (peach and falco for life :3)

Top Bottom