• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Piece o' Cake! A Guide to Falco (FIRST DRAFT FINISHED! GUIDE 1.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
I actually think that the N-air is a better than you say it is because it has next to no landing lag after a fast fall. You can also N-air them after an Up-tilt for some added damage as well as attack people on the platform above you and I think that you could get an N-air in after a down throw on most characters.

I'd also like to say that the easiest method of spiking people for me is running off of the stage, using your second jump and using the D-air while rising up. It's probably the safest way to spike as well.

Just trying to give my input. Thanks for taking the time to write this, it looks like it will be a lot of help.
An important note on fast-falling aerials:

I discovered when testing these on slo-mo that any fast fall aerial will AUTOMATICALLY CAUSE YOUR CHARACTER TO CROUCH UPON HITTING THE GROUND. This is not a significant amount of lag per se, but enough that I would not recommend attempting to use it in a competitive situation.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
One of my favorite things is to do an instant dash attack with the c-stick (so you don't need to wait for the dash-dance frames to end) hit-canceled into an upsmash. You just move the c-stick down then up, it's fairly easy and good for combos. :bee:

Drakuaza

Smash Apprentice
One thing you are forgetting, falco can still do his edge comebacks. dair, uair, fair and bair. blaster and phantasm and adding to this his new reflector that is just awesome as it tripples the foe down if they try to knock you off at the edge.

Kensei

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kenseithomas
oh yeah and falco is pretty defensive as well if someone is approaching with a shorthop attack then you can SHDL to shine and all three will hit its pretty usefull or so I've noticed. Oh and I've chain grabbed several times to D spike as well which only works sometimes and nearly always with chars like D3.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
Woah, Pancake, I never thought you were the one who created this guide.

In fact, we had some good matches online. I remember winning against you with Falco... partially thanks to THIS guide.

Papapaint

Woah, Pancake, I never thought you were the one who created this guide.

In fact, we had some good matches online. I remember winning against you with Falco... partially thanks to THIS guide.
I've been having a really tough time playing smash recently (yeah, I know, no johns). I just recently (march 12) switched my meds, and have been experimenting with doses and the like.

Once my body adjusts, not only do I want a rematch, I'll also add a bunch more to this guide.

neji49

Smash Cadet
Not to sound like a noob, oh wait I am one. Anyways what does SC grab and Shine OOS stand for?

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
Beautiful thread But no Laser-lock discussion?
Laser locking is as annoying. Do it if you want everyone to never want to play you went you want to use falco. Getting the whole laser lock into the meta game will just make everyone hate falco and stereotype him with annoying lasers (as much as pit with arrows). There's other thread for that anyway.

At most, just link to it in the guide?

Pretty sure there won't be something like jab, downgrab, laser lock, shine, run up and fsmash if they trip?

ShinobiSli

Smash Apprentice
Laser locking is as annoying. Do it if you want everyone to never want to play you went you want to use falco. Getting the whole laser lock into the meta game will just make everyone hate falco and stereotype him with annoying lasers (as much as pit with arrows). There's other thread for that anyway.
It is annoying, but I'd give the same argument that was given for the defense camping technique - when it comes down to the money matches and times when you NEED the win, you should be able to pull out the laser lock. In casual play, it'd totally make me want to punch an infant, but in serious competitive, I'd do whatever it takes.

neji49

Smash Cadet
It is annoying, but I'd give the same argument that was given for the defense camping technique - when it comes down to the money matches and times when you NEED the win, you should be able to pull out the laser lock. In casual play, it'd totally make me want to punch an infant, but in serious competitive, I'd do whatever it takes.
The only problem with laser locking is setting it up. The most reliable way is with a forward throw at certain percentages, but it'll only work if they don't tech it. In competitive play,it's unlikely people will miss a tech,especially in a situation liek that where it'll cost them. That's probably why it's not included.

Papapaint

Sorry.

Hey everyone, from now on, take extra special care to impress JoeMeat. He knows a good falco when he sees one.

(I hope everyone's sarcasm detector is on.)

Also, I'll be updating the thread with the laser-lock stuff and whatnot for version 1.1

kazaken455

Smash Apprentice
Wow! this is an awesome guide! I main Olimar the most and I haven't really tried Falco yet. I've been thinking about trying him out mainly for his shine. This guide will really help. :D Thanks!

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
i don't know if this was mentioned yet but when using his jabs then shining (AAA -> shine) your opponent can jump out of it if timed correctly. but this can set up for a mindgame or a game of rock paper scissors. If you shine and they jump over it you're in trouble. But if they think you're going to shine and you don't then they are above you and in trouble. The third of course is if they don't think you will shine and stay put/shield you shine them out of grab range or grab them first.

Just thought I'd mention that

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
For laser:
"In the AIR, however, it cools twice as fast. It's insane. Too good. TO SHDL, DO NOT SHORT HOP AND THEN SPAM JUMP. Just before he reaches the apex of his jump is the time to start. If you do this properly, he should be able to hit any character with the second laser."

SPAM LASER*
And include a note on press b only twice or else you get a third blaster on the ground? maybe link it to that video in that thread saying that the second laser should hit kirby.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
What is SHDL
Short Hop ****** Laser??
SH Double Laser.

Also... is anyone else having trouble using fair? It has too much lag and every time I use it AND hit, my opponent just dashes towards me, after they land, and smash me in the face. Any tips?

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
SH Double Laser.

Also... is anyone else having trouble using fair? It has too much lag and every time I use it AND hit, my opponent just dashes towards me, after they land, and smash me in the face. Any tips?
Don't use it? Serisously. It's pretty bad. N-air is probably a better option anyway and there's a lot less lag when you land. I even use B-air over F-air when my opponent is up close and in front of me since both of Falco's legs can hit. It has no lag and it stays out for a pretty long time.

The only time F-air hasn't screwed me over was when I messed up on a Reverse Arial Rush to attack an opponent off the stage. I ended up using F-air instead of B-air and it sort of just drilled him while we both kept falling. I still had a jump and he already used his so he died and I recovered. B-air would still be a better option in that situation though.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
Fair isn't completely useless. It's actually possible, albeit difficult, to land every hit of Fair in a single SH. Although Falco does have much better options.

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
too lazy to check if someone hasnt already discovered it, but one thing i noticed with the laser is that if you do it before you hit the ground, you receive no lag and can follow up with a grab, forward B, AAA combo etc

pretty cool

nviv

Smash Cadet
One thing that might be added is that his f-tilt can actually be aimed and tilted down or up like. My main is ZSS so I haven't really done anything with it to see if it changes the damage or knockback like ZSS's but I noticed it and didn't see anything on it so I thought I'd point it out.

Massiveguns

Smash Apprentice
toon link makes me cry, but he might be easier offline. just curious how people who play falco feel about TL cause i hate him a lot.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
Toon Link's projectiles are really slow and thus, really easy to reflect. You can "out camp" a Toon Link any day. I played one on WiFi the other day. He wasn't all that great, but he wasn't terrible. He was really aggressive so I never had to approach. I'd just either wait for his aerial and then sheild grab and throw him off the stage, or I'd use the reflector while he was rushing in.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
MM homo 5-10 dollars best of 7 same rules as melee

these stages only (lylat, battlefield, FD, the big stage with one platform and the little flowers, the FE stage, and metknight's ship)..i think those are fair...

matches to be done in person of course;p

also, i'll bet on my roommate with the same rules if you'd like..he's a DDD, lucas, sonic main.

I play MK, marth, pit, G&W, ike, PT, dorf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom